Trolls cave \ ( °-° ) /

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can actually see a troll cave being marginally useful, provided participants stay put inside it. It might even be a good punishment/containment measure. Too many trolling reports from Gen Chat? Moderators sentence you to a month or two in the troll cave instead of whatever the existing penalties are. Too many chat violations? Permanent chat exile to the troll cave.

Yeah, I can't see visiting something like that for "fun." Ugh.

Alas, the benefits are lost on the masses. To the person who suggested Discord to me: That idea is all well and good but I don't like using outside programs and websites to fulfill my in game wants. I use TeamSpeak atm and, to be fair, it does scratch this itch. I'm simply supporting the addition of the OP's idea to the game. You are free to disagree but TeamSpeak and Discord are not an in game chat channel. They are a way to actually talk to each other. Sometimes I just wanna turn the music up over here and communicate with typing. 90% of the time I mute my microphone anyway and use TeamSpeak to hear the commander in WvW. STILL VOTE YES :)

It's going to happen regardless, so why not? People have the right to be offended, but I don't think that's an excuse to tell people to stop having fun (within reason). This would offer likeminded members of the community an outlet to discuss things by playing the game - not by relying on third party resources. The best part - if you don't want to listen in, you won't have to turn your chat off completely.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> It's going to happen regardless, so why not? People have the right to be offended, but I don't think that's an excuse to tell people to stop having fun (within reason). This would offer likeminded members of the community an outlet to discuss things by playing the game - not by relying on third party resources. The best part - if you don't want to listen in, you won't have to turn your chat off completely.

It really, really wouldn't, though: your assumption that there is just one group of people who might want to say things, and one group who will be "offended", is false.

For example, some people are "offended" by discussions of LGBT subjects in a positive way, and some when the discussion is negative. Which of those two belongs in the "troll cave" to avoid "upsetting" others?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Some large fraction of those who enjoy "trolling" do it to get a rise out of the unsuspecting, the credulous, and/or the sincere amongst us. They aren't going to use a "troll cave" chat channel. For the rest, there are plenty of Discord and Guild communities that ANet doesn't need to try to mechanically force the creation of one.

Duh.

D:

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > It's going to happen regardless, so why not? People have the right to be offended, but I don't think that's an excuse to tell people to stop having fun (within reason). This would offer likeminded members of the community an outlet to discuss things by playing the game - not by relying on third party resources. The best part - if you don't want to listen in, you won't have to turn your chat off completely.

>

> It really, really wouldn't, though: your assumption that there is just one group of people who might want to say things, and one group who will be "offended", is false.

>

> For example, some people are "offended" by discussions of LGBT subjects in a positive way, and some when the discussion is negative. Which of those two belongs in the "troll cave" to avoid "upsetting" others?

I imagine they all belong in the troll cave. Anyone who is offended can leave the chat at any time to cool off. My interpretation was that this wasn't a punishment system, but rather a place where people could talk freely without fear of "corrupting our youth" or annoying our moral guardians.

Of course, not everyone will do so, but some people are beyond help. What you can do is give sensible people the tools to filter out these sorts of chats without becomming anti-social chat-off "invisible" people.

I voted no even though I like to play around from time to time. There is no need to exclude "trolls" out of the main chat which is in most cases dead anyway. If someone feels offended by what someone said jokingly in MMORPG chat then this person needs to change his attitude and distance themselves.

Chat interactions are very important in mmo games and everyone should be treated equally unless someone is really trying to make someone's life miserable like lately I've seen in LA map chat two dudes shitting on a woman for saying she's vegan. Those kind of people should be excluded, yes. But not trolls.

What I do not get here is the mindstet that those who get offended are always in the wrong and those who say potentially offensive things are fine. The whole "you are in control of your own emotions and reactions thus you should not be upset by things other people do" is just... not how it works, realistically. Sure it is hard to draw a line between things that people should feel offended about and things that they should not but I think we all can use a bit of common sense in this matter.

If you make fun of a selected group of people such as certain religion, LGBTQ+ community, mentally ill or disabled, expect people to be unhappy with you. They are most likely going to get offended by subjects that mean a lot to them and that concern them personally - or something that becomes present often in their family etc. It's okay to sometimes feel upset, offended or like your feelings have been hurt. Those are all valid things to feel. If someone is more "sensitive" than you that's ok too - let them be sensitive. It will not harm or concern you in any way if someone else takes things more harshly than you do. The best we all can do is try to be considerate of one another and try to use suitable jokes to our target audience. I dont think that encouraging potentially offensive jokes is the right approach though. If you wish to make crude or inappropriate jokes, do that in a closed space where you all share the same kind of humor. An ingame chat visible for everyone is too broad place for such.

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > Some large fraction of those who enjoy "trolling" do it to get a rise out of the unsuspecting, the credulous, and/or the sincere amongst us. They aren't going to use a "troll cave" chat channel. For the rest, there are plenty of Discord and Guild communities that ANet doesn't need to try to mechanically force the creation of one.

>

> I'd go so far as to say that trolling is, specifically, acting in a way designed to cause reactions from others:

>

> From [define:trolling](https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Atrolling):

> > informal

> > make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

> > "if people are obviously trolling then I'll delete your posts and do my best to ban you"

>

>

Do you know how easy it is to upset someone these days? Especially on this game.

See a dead guy and jump over his corpse? Troll.

Doing Hero points during a META event? Troll.

Running around with a friend on HoT maps just chilling and not worrying about events? Trolls.

Drop a port at the bank and run to a vendor and port back? Troll.

Quickly want to sell something out of your bank so you use one of your 115 Merchants? Troll.

Waving at players during a PvP match? Troll.

This list could go on for miles.

I believe that the chat system as is, offers enough option to cover the case "troll cave", without adding one more feature. We can any time go into a separated chat via "party" or "squad" or "whisper" or even "say" by going altogether stand somewhere a bit isolated. Also, an additional option is to join a guild with relaxed limits concerning joking. The guild chat is then one more room for free joking.

Now for me, the most important side of it - that makes me vote "no" - is that like said by Zet.9130 and some others, if the game offers such a chat system, this will draw trolls to the game, because it will be like saying: "Come to GW2, we have free trolling room". Personally, that's one side of GW2 I do love that we have very few trolls (mostly the weekend and never lasting long since ignored or blocked). I don't want that to change.

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > Some large fraction of those who enjoy "trolling" do it to get a rise out of the unsuspecting, the credulous, and/or the sincere amongst us. They aren't going to use a "troll cave" chat channel. For the rest, there are plenty of Discord and Guild communities that ANet doesn't need to try to mechanically force the creation of one.

> >

> > I'd go so far as to say that trolling is, specifically, acting in a way designed to cause reactions from others:

> >

> > From [define:trolling](https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Atrolling):

> > > informal

> > > make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

> > > "if people are obviously trolling then I'll delete your posts and do my best to ban you"

>

> Do you know how easy it is to upset someone these days? Especially on this game.

Oh, heck, yeah. I mean, you make one little joke about the stereotypical white men "I'm so rational" thing that some fools claim -- and I don't mean nobody in this thread done this -- and, bam, they are all over you, complaining about how unfair it all is, everyone is against them. Advocate for more representation for, well, anything that isn't a classic male fantasy archetype, and they just pop out of the woodwork to complain about how politics has invaded their safe spaces. It's hard to get a break from it, so yeah, I totally feel you on that one.

> See a dead guy and jump over his corpse? Troll.

> Doing Hero points during a META event? Troll.

> Running around with a friend on HoT maps just chilling and not worrying about events? Trolls.

> Drop a port at the bank and run to a vendor and port back? Troll.

> Quickly want to sell something out of your bank so you use one of your 115 Merchants? Troll.

> Waving at players during a PvP match? Troll.

See, what puzzles me is that, sure, people might think that was trolling, right, but ... none of that is likely to be actioned in any way by anet. Well, except maybe the port thing, because that one annoys people who just hit the interact button and get ported instead of vending like they wanted, but ... even there you'd probably need a long pattern of that to see anything happen.

Oddly enough, none of the people in this thread have mentioned anything like that when they talked about this being, more or less, an invitation to a cesspool of fighting that would make things worse, not better. Well, 'cept you.

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> I'd rather the sensitive people take control of their own game and learn to use the block function instead of wanting everyone with different ideas of acceptable chat to be banned.

I think you are mistaking "desire to be able to use people's sexuality, gender, race, or religion as an insult, or to attack them for it" for "different ideas of acceptable chat" here. Only one of those two is being argued against.

I mean, heck, I don't wanna hear people RP sexy-talking in chat, but ... big difference between that, and them using someones sexuality as an insult, no?

> > @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > I'd rather the sensitive people take control of their own game and learn to use the block function instead of wanting everyone with different ideas of acceptable chat to be banned.

>

> I think you are mistaking "desire to be able to use people's sexuality, gender, race, or religion as an insult, or to attack them for it" for "different ideas of acceptable chat" here. Only one of those two is being argued against.

>

> I mean, heck, I don't wanna hear people RP sexy-talking in chat, but ... big difference between that, and them using someones sexuality as an insult, no?

I am hard pressed to understand why their sexuality would be a topic. How/why did it come up for someone to even know?

> @"sitarskee.5738" said:

> I voted no even though I like to play around from time to time. There is no need to exclude "trolls" out of the main chat which is in most cases dead anyway. If someone feels offended by what someone said jokingly in MMORPG chat then this person needs to change his attitude and distance themselves.

> Chat interactions are very important in mmo games and everyone should be treated equally unless someone is really trying to make someone's life miserable like lately I've seen in LA map chat two dudes kitten on a woman for saying she's vegan. Those kind of people should be excluded, yes. But not trolls.

So the person who is offended by some form of derogatory, abusive, racist, religiously biased etc etc form of chat rubbish should be the one to change their ways.. yeah that makes total sense.

Trolls troll for one purpose.. to get that rise out of others, to offend and feast on the results of his her trolling.

It is the trolls who should be placed in a permanent cave but not one that is held within game.

Some of the trash talk that takes place in game is not fit even for a troll cave, so I say what the game actually needs is ANET to take out those players causing the unrest out of the game entirely, not give them their own little place to splurt out endless amounts of rubbish all day long.