[Suggestion] Horse Mount [merged]

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > @"GenghisKhan.7842" said:

> > > > Honestly, we really don't need a horse mount when most of us have already unlocked the super-convenient griffon anyway

> > >

> > > Pegasus skin for Griffy?

> >

> > It will look stupid. Griffon doesn't run like horse, it runs like a big cat. And skins don't change base mount animations.

>

> Sorry, I left off the [JOKE] icon.

And full name is "Followers of Bad [JOKE]", eh?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANet resisted mounts for so long because they didn't want people to just speed through the game. What they finally added weren't just fancy speed boosts, but (also) offered new ways to move through the game. If they were ever to add a horse as a mount type and not just a skin, it would have to provide something other than a speed boost.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > > @"GenghisKhan.7842" said:

> > > > > Honestly, we really don't need a horse mount when most of us have already unlocked the super-convenient griffon anyway

> > > >

> > > > Pegasus skin for Griffy?

> > >

> > > It will look stupid. Griffon doesn't run like horse, it runs like a big cat. And skins don't change base mount animations.

> >

> > Sorry, I left off the [JOKE] icon.

>

> And full name is "Followers of Bad [JOKE]", eh?

Hmm. Now you've got me thinking thoughts I shouldn't think..

Character name _This Is A Bad_, guild tag _[Joke]_

Nameplate: **This Is A Bad [Joke]**

Except there's probably already a character called that that belongs to a guild with that tag.

> @"JDub.1530" said:

> ANet resisted mounts for so long because they didn't want people to just speed through the game. What they finally added weren't just fancy speed boosts, but (also) offered new ways to move through the game. If they were ever to add a horse as a mount type and not just a skin, it would have to provide something other than a speed boost.

Burrowing. The reason we don't see any horses in Tyria is because they evolved into burrowing creatures. They are still very common, indeed, but only the skritt and stone dwarves mount them now. When we finally get the subterranean Primordus related expac, we'll be mounting our fast burrowing horses all the time.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > ANet resisted mounts for so long because they didn't want people to just speed through the game. What they finally added weren't just fancy speed boosts, but (also) offered new ways to move through the game. If they were ever to add a horse as a mount type and not just a skin, it would have to provide something other than a speed boost.

>

> Burrowing. The reason we don't see any horses in Tyria is because they evolved into burrowing creatures. They are still very common, indeed, but only the skritt and stone dwarves mount them now. When we finally get the subterranean Primordus related expac, we'll be mounting our fast burrowing horses all the time.

Sounds legit

> @"AncientYs.8613" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"AncientYs.8613" said:

> > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > what if the horse mount has a speed ability, you can run allot faster for as long as your stamina is available.

> > >

> > > This is not botw though :/

> >

> > botw?

>

> Zelda: breath of the wild.

ahh, i was more thinking similar to skyrim.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > They are mentioned in various NPC dialogue, can be seen on official GW2 art, are mentioned in the novel(s). How do horses not fit on a rural map like Queensdale?

> > > and they are most likely extinct

> >

> > People told you a dozen times by now that they are not, and why. Stop insinsting on something that has been refuted already. Stop ignoring the facts.

>

> Have you ever seen living horse in GW or GW2?

i have

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kirin

I don't see why not.

People say how it doesn't fit the game cuz there are no horses anywhere...but really, by that logic, we shouldn't even have branded mount skins.

They can't be tamed, even ogre in Crystal Oasis says so to her kid when she says she wants branded griffon, so if they ignore lore there why wouldn't they ignore lore when it comes to horses.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > They are mentioned in various NPC dialogue, can be seen on official GW2 art, are mentioned in the novel(s). How do horses not fit on a rural map like Queensdale?

> > > > and they are most likely extinct

> > >

> > > People told you a dozen times by now that they are not, and why. Stop insinsting on something that has been refuted already. Stop ignoring the facts.

> >

> > Have you ever seen living horse in GW or GW2?

>

> i have

> https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kirin

Kirin is not a horse.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > They are mentioned in various NPC dialogue, can be seen on official GW2 art, are mentioned in the novel(s). How do horses not fit on a rural map like Queensdale?

> > > > > and they are most likely extinct

> > > >

> > > > People told you a dozen times by now that they are not, and why. Stop insinsting on something that has been refuted already. Stop ignoring the facts.

> > >

> > > Have you ever seen living horse in GW or GW2?

> >

> > i have

> > https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kirin

>

> Kirin is not a horse.

and the raptor is not a raptor, what's your point?

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > They are mentioned in various NPC dialogue, can be seen on official GW2 art, are mentioned in the novel(s). How do horses not fit on a rural map like Queensdale?

> > > > > > and they are most likely extinct

> > > > >

> > > > > People told you a dozen times by now that they are not, and why. Stop insinsting on something that has been refuted already. Stop ignoring the facts.

> > > >

> > > > Have you ever seen living horse in GW or GW2?

> > >

> > > i have

> > > https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kirin

> >

> > Kirin is not a horse.

>

> and the raptor is not a raptor, what's your point?

That your response to my previous post makes no sense.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > They are mentioned in various NPC dialogue, can be seen on official GW2 art, are mentioned in the novel(s). How do horses not fit on a rural map like Queensdale?

> > > > > > > and they are most likely extinct

> > > > > >

> > > > > > People told you a dozen times by now that they are not, and why. Stop insinsting on something that has been refuted already. Stop ignoring the facts.

> > > > >

> > > > > Have you ever seen living horse in GW or GW2?

> > > >

> > > > i have

> > > > https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kirin

> > >

> > > Kirin is not a horse.

> >

> > and the raptor is not a raptor, what's your point?

>

> That your response to my previous post makes no sense.

it does, the kirin is part horse and even has the shape and size of a horse, so in every sense and purpose it is the horse of GW.

> @"MetalGirl.2370" said:

> I don't see why not.

> People say how it doesn't fit the game cuz there are no horses anywhere...but really, by that logic, we shouldn't even have branded mount skins.

> They can't be tamed, even ogre in Crystal Oasis says so to her kid when she says she wants branded griffon, so if they ignore lore there why wouldn't they ignore lore when it comes to horses.

That would had been a plot hole, had they resolved it with 2 things found in the main story lines........

1. Jackals are a byproduct of Nightfall. They've been tamed by Djinn and given new purpose, as long as the rider can maintain dominance (which is a behavioral trait common to wild canines, and refined to produce domesticated dogs).

2. Dragon minions can be freed of influence, but the process is sketchy as far as story is concerned. Glint and the Pale Tree are 2 of the oldest examples, though both were inherently intelligent. Lesser minions can be assigned a new master by exploiting quirks in the Dragon's control methods..... but there is a link between intelligence, how control is exerted on minions, and the potential to subvert it. Plus active dragons can easily exert control with enough proximity, or a Proxy to extend it.

2b. Ogres talk a big game- but in practice, the Charr got them beat on nearly every front. Ogres rely on their physical stature to exert dominance, and their taming methods are basic at best. Charr have industrialized their animal husbandry techniques, and can tame almost anything natural through a combination of advanced study/techniques and selective survival. Asura can potentially go 3 steps further by using subversion techniques via magic or technology; IE- unnatural methods. The reason the Ogres fail is because they think all beasts are just beasts- Yet any race thats beyond tribal levels, and posses a greater knowledge base, are all more successful then Ogres.

> @"sitarskee.5738" said:

> why would you want to ride a horse anyway when you have much cooler raptors, jackals and girffons

One's definition of "cool" might differ from another person's. I can do without crazy childish stuff, for instance, or at least like to have an option.

> horses are overrated and boring imo

"Boring"? Okay, I bet you are into super hero cartoons and movies too, where everything is over the top and "ultra cool" - which is the tone GW2 has taken up lately (well, gradually within the past 2 years). I prefer more class in content (visuals as well as dialogue) and a straight, harmonious design where the elements fit perfectly together - in other words, a cup of "good, old fashioned fantasy genre" tea.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"sitarskee.5738" said:

> > why would you want to ride a horse anyway when you have much cooler raptors, jackals and girffons

>

> One's definition of "cool" might differ from another person's. I can do without crazy childish stuff, for instance, or at least like to have an option.

>

> > horses are overrated and boring imo

>

> "Boring"? Okay, I bet you are into super hero cartoons and movies too, where everything is over the top and "ultra cool" - which is the tone GW2 has taken up lately (well, gradually within the past 2 years). I prefer more class in content (visuals as well as dialogue) and a straight, harmonious design where the elements fit perfectly together - in other words, a cup of "good, old fashioned fantasy genre" tea.

I wouldnt mind a horse, *IF* they made it have functionality like the rest of the mounts. i love horses, ive owned horses, they are anything but "boring" in most cases ive found. But for them to fit in, in GW2 theyd have to be made to have functionality like the rest.

> @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> Am I the only one who really wants to ride the classic horse mount and finds it extremely weird we have no horse mount or skin?

There are no horses in tyria. At least in living tyria.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > > They are mentioned in various NPC dialogue, can be seen on official GW2 art, are mentioned in the novel(s). How do horses not fit on a rural map like Queensdale?

> > > > and they are most likely extinct

> > >

> > > People told you a dozen times by now that they are not, and why. Stop insinsting on something that has been refuted already. Stop ignoring the facts.

> >

> > Have you ever seen living horse in GW or GW2?

>

> i have

> https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kirin

Kirin are not Horses...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

Might look vaguely like horses, doesn't mean they are.