Does everyone use a specialization now?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Julischka Bean.7491" said:

> > @"cesmode.4257" said:

> > > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > > As one of those loyalist elites who has maxed out the character slots, (_71 to be exact_), I am having both PoF and HoT Elite Specs aswell Core Specs on different characters. I have now ready up for the 3rd gang, 9 characters for each profession, to gain our 3rd Expansion Elite Specs, ;)

> >

> > You have 71 characters? Im at a loss for words :)

> >

> --snip--

>

> I could have easily maxed out character slots too. Game is six years old. 71 spread out over six years. As it is, I have 54 and an idea for another.

I have 10 characters, 1 for each profession and 1 for opening bags/to mule. I can't imagine why I'd need many more than that.

Edit: Also, in answer to the OP question, while I'm not against using Core specs, I rarely don't have an elite spec on. I was using core ranger a lot during HoT because I couldn't be buggered to get healing gear, but Soulbeast sold me. Pretty much all of the PoF elites sold me except perhaps pve scourge.

I have core builds & gear for 3 of my 10 characters, and I swap to those core builds for various purposes. However, _every_ one of my characters spends 90% of game time in a HoT or PoF spec, mostly PoF. As much as I loved reaper, scourge is just insanely good in so many pve and pvp situations.

> @"CETheLucid.3964" said:

> Most of the time. But sometimes I use all core specs, especially for my classes (Ele, Ranger), there's some good builds to play with staying core. Just depends on what I feel like building.

This.

Even characters I use elite specs on will see core build play depending on my mood.

I have 17 toons. None setup in PvE as core build. I occasionally play core power guardian in PvE. DH though is much better. I tried to play core power mesmer, but it is much weaker than power chrono. I play core warrior from time to time.

Sadly, this is due to poor implementation of elites by Anet. Elites were supposed to create alternative game play design; horizontal upgrade. They ended-up being pure power creep for the most part.

It depends on what i'm doing and the latest build I need cos I am quite OCD about having the latest meta. But in answer, the only vanilla I have is my ranger at the moment, which isn't running a meta build which is very naughty of me.

> @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> I main core Guardian because I lose trait synergy with Dragonhunter and Firebrand has too many cooldowns that delays between tome juggling. There's a point where there's too many abilities.

Pretty much this. I was excited to unlock DH on my Guard, already knowing that the Bow was kitten, but I found out quickly that I didn't like the trap mechanics, and I missed being able to run both Virtues and Radiance for the group utility - so back to Core I went, and I haven't looked back. My ranger is using the Ascended DH bow :)

I have one character for every profession, strictly PVE, post HoT i've chosen to go with those elites:

Ranger -> /

Thief -> Daredevil

Elementalist ->Tempest

Guardian -> /

Warrior -> Berserker

Mesmer -> Chronomancer

Revenant -> /

Engineer -> Scrapper

Necromancer -> Reaper

So even after the first expac comes out and the power creep brought by the new elite specs, i've decided to stay on core for some character.

But after Pof something is changed, something not:

Ranger -> Soulbeast

Thief -> Daredevil

Elementalist ->Tempest

Guardian -> Firebrand

Warrior -> Berserker

Mesmer -> Chronomancer -> Mirage

Revenant -> Renegade

Engineer -> Scrapper -> Holosmith

Necromancer -> Reaper

Of course i've unlocked all the elite specializations, but i've decided to stick with some of the older ones because i simply prefer their mechanics or gameplays.

Depends on the game mode...for my guard for example, for PvE i use Condi Firebrand, for WvW zerg i use support Firebrand and for roaming i use Core guard or DH, and sPvP i use Core radiance guardian...but mostly i use expansion specs, no reason to not use them when they are clearly upgrades from the core professions.

> @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> I use an elite spec on 8 out of 9 of my characters. For my Ranger though I prefer a build using the core traitlines. I just couldn't settle into a playstyle I enjoyed with either Druid or Soulbeast.

I need to take back what I said earlier. This past week I've been spending more time with Soulbeast and I've found a build I enjoy. My ranger is now pleased to be a Soulbeast. So now I've found an elite spec in all 9 professions that I enjoy.

I have a blend of pure core specs, HoT elites and PoF elites. I used to absolutely love my core condi engi until they destroyed condi cleanse. Now she is gathering electronic dust. I’m still really grumpy about that, it was unwarranted to do that to PvE, although I couldn’t say regarding PvP. I am also enjoying my axe/axe core warrior again. Haven’t been able to really warm up to the PoF elite there but I run soul beast for both my condi ranger and lb ranger and love both.

> @"cesmode.4257" said:

> Curious if people still run the vanilla classes and builds, or does everyone run with a specialization?

The answer is yes, you really can't do much of the end game content without an elite spec because other players won't accept you, also the non elite spec builds are 10x weaker then elite specs, have less utility and also don't mesh with every other players builds which is undoubtedly an elite spec.