• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Haishao.6851 said:

> > @Vladish.3940 said:

> > > @Draknar.5748 said:

> > > > @Vladish.3940 said:

> > > > Personally I am never getting jackal of the griffon mounts. In five years of CASUAL gaming, I have never been over 2g mark. At this point I don't know if I will be even able to afford a skimmer :/ Not everyone is interested in fractals or raids, or farming. Some of us only play story elements, and I mean, exclusively those. And there is nowhere near enough gold to be made there.

> > >

> > > You're so full of it. If you do the daily, which takes at MOST 15min depending on the WvW option, that's 2g right there.

> > >

> > > If you play story elements then you've probably gathered materials. Open up your bank and start selling what you've collected.

> > >

> > > There's no excuse for not being able to make money in this game. Back before HoT, sure, you had to be creative. But since HoT they made it stupid easy to make money. You're literally not even trying. If you even put the effort into completing the daily missions, you'd be making 14g/week, and could have been doing that since they implemented that change.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Being forced into doing things you don't like/having to stop the story because you encounter a pay wall, is a bad design. I don't use TP. I save all crafting mats for myself so that I can work on my own professions, as such I don't buy on it either. I only farm as I PLAY the story, which means I have just enough mats to work on my own stuff and not enough to sale (5 years and one profession maxed, many more to work on). WvW and dailies are a boring job, and that's not what I play the game for. I shouldn't have to be forced into interrupting my story in order farm currency I have little care for beyond having enough to salvage my materials; so now I have to choose between working and supporting my own professions and WASTING all the stuff I have been using just so I can progress story? Bad game design. Limited time means I only want to play content I enjoy, which is story for me.

>

> Having to play a game to get game things is actually the best game design.

>

Yes and no. I have no problem with mastery gating, the xp will come fairly fast and you don't really notice the gate by playing the game. For someone who actually doesn't care about gold and didn't spent a second over last five years even thinking about it as he spent all of it salvaging for personal use mats, and thus never held more than 2 gold at a time is an unnecessary wall. If making anything more than 2g is a hassle, forcing someone to try to make 40g is a bad joke. They already implemented several gold sinks in the game with PoF, and they shouldn't be punishing story-driven players just because there are some rich players out there.

> @TwoGhosts.6790 said:

> > @Vladish.3940 said:

> > > @Draknar.5748 said:

> > > > @Vladish.3940 said:

> > > > Personally I am never getting jackal of the griffon mounts. In five years of CASUAL gaming, I have never been over 2g mark. At this point I don't know if I will be even able to afford a skimmer :/ Not everyone is interested in fractals or raids, or farming. Some of us only play story elements, and I mean, exclusively those. And there is nowhere near enough gold to be made there.

> > >

> > > You're so full of it. If you do the daily, which takes at MOST 15min depending on the WvW option, that's 2g right there.

> > >

> > > If you play story elements then you've probably gathered materials. Open up your bank and start selling what you've collected.

> > >

> > > There's no excuse for not being able to make money in this game. Back before HoT, sure, you had to be creative. But since HoT they made it stupid easy to make money. You're literally not even trying. If you even put the effort into completing the daily missions, you'd be making 14g/week, and could have been doing that since they implemented that change.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Being forced into doing things you don't like/having to stop the story because you encounter a pay wall, is a bad design. I don't use TP. I save all crafting mats for myself so that I can work on my own professions, as such I don't buy on it either. I only farm as I PLAY the story, which means I have just enough mats to work on my own stuff and not enough to sale (5 years and one profession maxed, many more to work on). WvW and dailies are a boring job, and that's not what I play the game for. I shouldn't have to be forced into interrupting my story in order farm currency I have little care for beyond having enough to salvage my materials; so now I have to choose between working and supporting my own professions and WASTING all the stuff I have been using just so I can progress story? Bad game design. Limited time means I only want to play content I enjoy, which is story for me.

>

> Um, why are you working on crafting?

> If you are only really interested in the story, crafting sounds like an utterly pointless pursuit for you.

>

> Like pretty much everything in life, in this game you have a choice. Noone's forcing you to do anything you don't like.

> The idea of you "having to stop because you encounter a pay wall," in the context of progressing your story in this context, is fatuous.

> I suppose, if you've never made more than 2g in 5 years, then it could seem like a bit of a hurdle. But to most people, it's simply playing the game.

> Like I said before... I really don't know what to tell you.

> I am even impressed that, in 5 years of playing this game, you have somehow managed to _avoid_ making more then 2g.

> That's some kind of major dedication to not playing the game as intented, or so it seems to me.

> I mean, this game practically rewards you for breathing.

>

> But, whatever, I guess. Keep playing (or not playing) how you choose.

> Just accept that, by now (i.e. by the time of the 2nd expansion, after three living story releases, five years of repeating annual festivals and a potential of 1,048g from dailies to date) it seems understandable if the devs assumed that most players venturing into PoF would have more than 2g at their disposal; enough to afford to progress this story. It's really not an unreasonable assumption.

> And any brand new player, who only plays the game for two days but takes the 10mins or so necessary to do their dailies, will have twice as much gold as you. Think about that. Instead of complaining on the forums, how about investing that time in accumulating the modest amount of gold it will require to obtain the things you desire?

> It's not complicated.

>

> Of course, maybe you've just been trolling (shrugs).

> ~TG

>

> PS - I can almost guarantee you that a lot of the stuff you have accumulated in your materials bank will be of no immediate use to you (I don't even really know why you're bothering with crafting anyway, since it has nothing at all to do with the story); the way this game is designed actively encourages you to sell the things you don't want in order to buy the things you do want; seriously, that's the entire purpose of the collective TP model (as well as a gold sink, of course).

Simplest answer is... because I want to. Doesn't matter whether YOU think it's pointless for me.

I am interested in just story pretty much, yes. The few materials I pick up (and all gear I pick up, I salvaged as well) I use on myself. I have no interest in using TP, neither as customer nor as a salesperson. Given I don't go out and farm, I don't have stockpiles of stuff I can use to give away to people, I use it all on myself.

I take breaks from game (took 2 year break after HoT), I play in bursts or sometimes over long periods of time, but only maybe an hour or so a day. Not all of us have hours to spend daily on this game and thus for some of us being forced to do something other than what we like is actually a hassle. To you it may be only 20 minutes a day, but for me at times may cut into my time that I was going to dedicate to run a single mission and log off. Some people have other responsibilities and can't sink all the commitment into a game.

Since I spent all I ever made on salvaging, and used all the materials to work on my professions, within the limited time I have to play, no, I am unable to just "make gold like most people." As I said before, the game already has implemented multiple gold sinks, and just because I have limited time on my hands that I choose focus on my own play and the one aspect I enjoy within that time, I shouldn't be punished for it. 5 gold I can make by the time I get to skimmer. Managed to get to 3.5 now (yay) but 40g is way out of my scope. Story shouldn't be used as a gold sink, with so many different modes of play. I know of many people that only play story, and none of us are happy about it. Some, like you mention, with tons of time on their hands may be able to make that gold, but it's not that easy for everyone. Don't assume that just because someone was playing on and off for five years they HAVE to be rich.

> @Vladish.3940 said:

> Simplest answer is... because I want to. Doesn't matter whether YOU think it's pointless for me.

> I am interested in just story pretty much, yes. The few materials I pick up (and all gear I pick up, I salvaged as well) I use on myself. I have no interest in using TP, neither as customer nor as a salesperson. Given I don't go out and farm, I don't have stockpiles of stuff I can use to give away to people, I use it all on myself.

>

> I take breaks from game (took 2 year break after HoT), I play in bursts or sometimes over long periods of time, but only maybe an hour or so a day. Not all of us have hours to spend daily on this game and thus for some of us being forced to do something other than what we like is actually a hassle. To you it may be only 20 minutes a day, but for me at times may cut into my time that I was going to dedicate to run a single mission and log off. Some people have other responsibilities and can't sink all the commitment into a game.

>

> Since I spent all I ever made on salvaging, and used all the materials to work on my professions, within the limited time I have to play, no, I am unable to just "make gold like most people." As I said before, the game already has implemented multiple gold sinks, and just because I have limited time on my hands that I choose focus on my own play and the one aspect I enjoy within that time, I shouldn't be punished for it. 5 gold I can make by the time I get to skimmer. Managed to get to 3.5 now (yay) but 40g is way out of my scope. Story shouldn't be used as a gold sink, with so many different modes of play. I know of many people that only play story, and none of us are happy about it. Some, like you mention, with tons of time on their hands may be able to make that gold, but it's not that easy for everyone. Don't assume that just because someone was playing on and off for five years they HAVE to be rich.

Of course people have preferences and limited amounts of time. But your claim is that there shouldn't be any gold sinks for you just because you've chosen to restrict yourself to playing only limited parts of the game. Mounts also require loads of Trade Contracts, but that apparently isn't a hardship for you. How is that any different, other than the amount?

I think a lot of this digression could have been avoided if the opening post had limited itself to the simple question as to why there are any currency costs to mounts, on the basis that HoT & Core masteries can be fully unlocked without paying a silver or any local currency. The currency sinks (including gold) were limited to the collections. That is to say, it's not whether this is difficult for some, it's whether it's appropriate at all to charge a fee.

> @Vladish.3940 said:

> > @Haishao.6851 said:

> > > @Vladish.3940 said:

> > > > @Draknar.5748 said:

> > > > > @Vladish.3940 said:

> > > > > Personally I am never getting jackal of the griffon mounts. In five years of CASUAL gaming, I have never been over 2g mark. At this point I don't know if I will be even able to afford a skimmer :/ Not everyone is interested in fractals or raids, or farming. Some of us only play story elements, and I mean, exclusively those. And there is nowhere near enough gold to be made there.

> > > >

> > > > You're so full of it. If you do the daily, which takes at MOST 15min depending on the WvW option, that's 2g right there.

> > > >

> > > > If you play story elements then you've probably gathered materials. Open up your bank and start selling what you've collected.

> > > >

> > > > There's no excuse for not being able to make money in this game. Back before HoT, sure, you had to be creative. But since HoT they made it stupid easy to make money. You're literally not even trying. If you even put the effort into completing the daily missions, you'd be making 14g/week, and could have been doing that since they implemented that change.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Being forced into doing things you don't like/having to stop the story because you encounter a pay wall, is a bad design. I don't use TP. I save all crafting mats for myself so that I can work on my own professions, as such I don't buy on it either. I only farm as I PLAY the story, which means I have just enough mats to work on my own stuff and not enough to sale (5 years and one profession maxed, many more to work on). WvW and dailies are a boring job, and that's not what I play the game for. I shouldn't have to be forced into interrupting my story in order farm currency I have little care for beyond having enough to salvage my materials; so now I have to choose between working and supporting my own professions and WASTING all the stuff I have been using just so I can progress story? Bad game design. Limited time means I only want to play content I enjoy, which is story for me.

> >

> > Having to play a game to get game things is actually the best game design.

> >

>

> Yes and no. I have no problem with mastery gating, the xp will come fairly fast and you don't really notice the gate by playing the game. For someone who actually doesn't care about gold and didn't spent a second over last five years even thinking about it as he spent all of it salvaging for personal use mats, and thus never held more than 2 gold at a time is an unnecessary wall. If making anything more than 2g is a hassle, forcing someone to try to make 40g is a bad joke. They already implemented several gold sinks in the game with PoF, and they shouldn't be punishing story-driven players just because there are some rich players out there.

They don't punish you, you're punishing yourself by making an effort to avoid gold. Developers don't make games for people who purposely ignore 99% of it.

Also why would you need 40g? People already said we don't need the jackal for the story and he cost only 20 gold, not 40 anyway. I don't know if we even need the skimmer since I'm only at the beginning of chapter two. We do need the springer though but that's only 1 gold. So potentially 6 gold if skimmer is needed. Just go trade some laurel for material bags and sell them and you'll have all the gold you need for the mounts you need.

When players claim to be casual I presume they mean they have a limited amount of time to play. I do not define casual that way.

Nevertheless, Anet cannot design all content to appeal to ALL players. There has to be content for people who play a few hours a week, and those that play several hours per day. Content for raiders, groups, solo, those who like to farm (grind) or explore, pvp, WvW. If you CHOOSE to only play a limited type of content you will have limited rewards.

> @SmirkDog.3160 said:

> Why the kitten is the Jackal 20g? Did I miss the part of the story that gives me enough to pay for it?

Well you leveled to 80 and got to the Jackal, no? Plenty time in which to get 20g one way or another. I mean the money rolls in pretty quickly.

> @ProtoGunner.4953 said:

> > @Vladish.3940 said:

> > Personally I am never getting jackal of the griffon mounts. In five years of CASUAL gaming, I have never been over 2g mark. At this point I don't know if I will be even able to afford a skimmer :/ Not everyone is interested in fractals or raids, or farming. Some of us only play story elements, and I mean, exclusively those. And there is nowhere near enough gold to be made there.

>

> Dude, are you serious? You can get literally make 2g in like 10 minutes by doing the dailies...

If something sounds too good (or in this case, too crazy) to be true, that's usually because, well, it's not true. :tongue:

> @Carighan.6758 said:

> > @SmirkDog.3160 said:

> > Why the kitten is the Jackal 20g? Did I miss the part of the story that gives me enough to pay for it?

>

> Well you leveled to 80 and got to the Jackal, no? Plenty time in which to get 20g one way or another. I mean the money rolls in pretty quickly.

>

Some people could have leveled... like five years ago, so that point is moot.

I play pretty casual, I loathe farming and I don't care for Hardcore stuff like raid or fractals. Just by exploring the maps I get around 1 gold. Yesterday I played the story and did a few HPs and masteries on the way and during a 2h time I had made 3 g.

I double click all unidentified stuff then salvage all else. Since I have 500 globs of ecto I sell the rest as do I with other crafting mats I have to much of. Exotic gear I salvage with BLkits if they are not worth more that 2g.

> @Vladish.3940 said:

> Yeah and I am casual. I play only story BECAUSE that is all the time I have for this game (definition of LIMITED time to play as you mentioned, see?), which is what I have >stated multiple times now. So your troll comment there is moot.

> And you also prove my point. There is variety of content that they have been putting gold sinks into, and can still put more there. Putting into a story without providing >ability to get the needed amount of resources for it through the story (gold in this case) is a bad design. People who have time to commit their lives to this game have all >that other content to play and sink their gold that they make into. I am happy for you you have time to play all that other content, I don't. The amount if ignorance on this >forum from players just because they have hours upon hours to kill in the game is astonishing.

As far as I've read you only need the raptor to complete the story and as far as I know you get the raptor for free - so your point is moot. No need to call everybody who isn't your opinion a troll. But: Here's an idea: Stop wasting your time on the forums - maybe you'll get the extra 15 mins to earn 2 gold from the dailies.

> @Vladish.3940 said:

> This kitten mount (20g Jackal, if it indeed as people implied prevents at a certain point from continuing the story) will effectively PREVENT ME from able to continue the story for at least 1 to 2 weeks, and THAT IS a bad design. Not taking under consideration people with very limited time who only ever picked up their game because of the story itself, is a MAJOR oversight.

You don't need the jackal for the story (you do need Raptor, Springer, Skimmer though). In fact the only places I've found that 'need' the jackal has been those sand portals and sometimes there are alternate routes anyway (and sometimes it seems not). So there are things you'll need the jackal for, Specialization collections for example but you'll likely spend far more than 20g while doing them anyway.

Personally I'd rather do questy things, even if they're a bit grindy to earn a mount over just paying gold for it (while also having the gold option isn't bad for those who'd prefer not to). I know gold is the universal resource of GW2 that everything can be converted to in some fashion, but grinding for gold somehow feels bad (imo) compared to targeting what I need, even if it's a bit less efficient.

> @Jana.6831 said:

> > @Vladish.3940 said:

> > Yeah and I am casual. I play only story BECAUSE that is all the time I have for this game (definition of LIMITED time to play as you mentioned, see?), which is what I have >stated multiple times now. So your troll comment there is moot.

> > And you also prove my point. There is variety of content that they have been putting gold sinks into, and can still put more there. Putting into a story without providing >ability to get the needed amount of resources for it through the story (gold in this case) is a bad design. People who have time to commit their lives to this game have all >that other content to play and sink their gold that they make into. I am happy for you you have time to play all that other content, I don't. The amount if ignorance on this >forum from players just because they have hours upon hours to kill in the game is astonishing.

>

> As far as I've read you only need the raptor to complete the story and as far as I know you get the raptor for free - so your point is moot. No need to call everybody who isn't your opinion a troll. But: Here's an idea: Stop wasting your time on the forums - maybe you'll get the extra 15 mins to earn 2 gold from the dailies.

>

You assume I'd waste time on forums if I was at my computer. As you said, if I was there, I'd be playing instead. Welcome to 21st century, we don't need computers to use forums. Intentional trolling there?

Anyway, I needed Springer to do parts of story quests in map 2, and as I have just gotten the skimmer (and it is heavily implied I need it to get to the next zone), it would make me think that I do need the extra mounts.

In many threads people have been stating how certain story progress is being gated by not having certain mounts/masteries, including jackal, with no one ever correcting them on that accord, so I had no reason not to believe that information. If jackal is not necessary for story progression than you are right, he is just an extra feature and my point is moot. If that's the case, I am sorry for the confusion, but if my story is gated by him, my point stands.

> @Vladish.3940 said:

> You assume I'd waste time on forums if I was at my computer. As you said, if I was there, I'd be playing instead. Welcome to 21st century, we don't need computers to use forums. Intentional trolling there?

> Anyway, I needed Springer to do parts of story quests in map 2, and as I have just gotten the skimmer (and it is heavily implied I need it to get to the next zone), it would make me think that I do need the extra mounts.

> In many threads people have been stating how certain story progress is being gated by not having certain mounts/masteries, including jackal, with no one ever correcting them on that accord, so I had no reason not to believe that information. If jackal is not necessary for story progression than you are right, he is just an extra feature and my point is moot. If that's the case, I am sorry for the confusion, but if my story is gated by him, my point stands.

Yes, since you don't have a point and the story doesn't require you to buy any of the mounts you are wasting your time and are really unpleasant while doing so.

I can imagine the story being easier with this or that mount but dulfy only needed the raptor and the springer - if she really required them or if there is a way around remains a 'mystery'.

You're restricting yourself heavily by only playing the story anyway, so being further restricted by your restrictive gameplay shouldn't be news to you. I guess you're the one trolling actually.

> @Glacial.9516 said:

> > @Vladish.3940 said:

> > This kitten mount (20g Jackal, if it indeed as people implied prevents at a certain point from continuing the story) will effectively PREVENT ME from able to continue the story for at least 1 to 2 weeks, and THAT IS a bad design. Not taking under consideration people with very limited time who only ever picked up their game because of the story itself, is a MAJOR oversight.

> You don't need the jackal for the story (you do need Raptor, Springer, Skimmer though). In fact the only places I've found that 'need' the jackal has been those sand portals and sometimes there are alternate routes anyway (and sometimes it seems not). So there are things you'll need the jackal for, Specialization collections for example but you'll likely spend far more than 20g while doing them anyway.

>

> Personally I'd rather do questy things, even if they're a bit grindy to earn a mount over just paying gold for it (while also having the gold option isn't bad for those who'd prefer not to). I know gold is the universal resource of GW2 that everything can be converted to in some fashion, but grinding for gold somehow feels bad (imo) compared to targeting what I need, even if it's a bit less efficient.

Thank you, as I mentioned before, this is first time I hear that jackal isn't needed for story progression (Contrary to multitude of discussions on the forum claiming otherwise). It is first time here that anyone (you and Jana) stated that too, instead of just jumping at the throat of someone just because he has no time to make gold like an "average player" can. If that's the case, I apologize for the confusion and then yes, my point is moot.

I might grind the gold for it over the few weeks after I am done with story, sure, but gating a story progression through any resource (without providing it) is not a good design as a whole, unless the story of the game focuses on the farming, etc. This story does not.

Thanks for the feedback.

> @Vladish.3940 said:

> Personally I am never getting jackal of the griffon mounts. In five years of CASUAL gaming, I have never been over 2g mark. At this point I don't know if I will be even able to afford a skimmer :/ Not everyone is interested in fractals or raids, or farming. Some of us only play story elements, and I mean, exclusively those. And there is nowhere near enough gold to be made there.

There's like 10 hours of story in the entire game- like, do you play 5 minutes a week? 2g is a daily, frankly you can finish it by accident, to be playing that long and have never completed it once you'd have to have intentionally gone out of your way to avoid finishing it, mind boggling.

But y'know what, fine, you only do the story- you should feel relieved to know you'll never need the jackal or griffon.

> @Vladish.3940 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @Vladish.3940 said:

> > > Simplest answer is... because I want to. Doesn't matter whether YOU think it's pointless for me.

> > > I am interested in just story pretty much, yes. The few materials I pick up (and all gear I pick up, I salvaged as well) I use on myself. I have no interest in using TP, neither as customer nor as a salesperson. Given I don't go out and farm, I don't have stockpiles of stuff I can use to give away to people, I use it all on myself.

> > >

> > > I take breaks from game (took 2 year break after HoT), I play in bursts or sometimes over long periods of time, but only maybe an hour or so a day. Not all of us have hours to spend daily on this game and thus for some of us being forced to do something other than what we like is actually a hassle. To you it may be only 20 minutes a day, but for me at times may cut into my time that I was going to dedicate to run a single mission and log off. Some people have other responsibilities and can't sink all the commitment into a game.

> > >

> > > Since I spent all I ever made on salvaging, and used all the materials to work on my professions, within the limited time I have to play, no, I am unable to just "make gold like most people." As I said before, the game already has implemented multiple gold sinks, and just because I have limited time on my hands that I choose focus on my own play and the one aspect I enjoy within that time, I shouldn't be punished for it. 5 gold I can make by the time I get to skimmer. Managed to get to 3.5 now (yay) but 40g is way out of my scope. Story shouldn't be used as a gold sink, with so many different modes of play. I know of many people that only play story, and none of us are happy about it. Some, like you mention, with tons of time on their hands may be able to make that gold, but it's not that easy for everyone. Don't assume that just because someone was playing on and off for five years they HAVE to be rich.

> >

> > Of course people have preferences and limited amounts of time. But your claim is that there shouldn't be any gold sinks for you just because you've chosen to restrict yourself to playing only limited parts of the game. Mounts also require loads of Trade Contracts, but that apparently isn't a hardship for you. How is that any different, other than the amount?

> >

> > I think a lot of this digression could have been avoided if the opening post had limited itself to the simple question as to why there are any currency costs to mounts, on the basis that HoT & Core masteries can be fully unlocked without paying a silver or any local currency. The currency sinks (including gold) were limited to the collections. That is to say, it's not whether this is difficult for some, it's whether it's appropriate at all to charge a fee.

>

> Are you a troll or just unable to read and like to jump into assumptions? Just because your life revolves around the game, doesn't mean everyone's does. I have "chosen to restrict yourself to playing only limited parts of the game" because that is all the time I have to play it. Some of us don't have the luxury to stare at the screen all day. Some of us have jobs, multiple even, families, as well variety of things happening in our lives, where games aren't a priority.

>

> I NEVER made a statement that there shouldn't be any gold sinks. Please learn to read before you attempt to troll someone. What I said is "the game already has implemented multiple gold sinks" (nowhere stating that they are a bad idea, as they are necessity in MMOs), and "Story shouldn't be used as a gold sink" and I will stand by that statement. Gating a story behind a gold sink is a bad design. Just because you and people with ample time on their hands have large amounts of money that you may not care about it, doesn't mean everyone does. This kitten mount (20g Jackal, if it indeed as people implied prevents at a certain point from continuing the story) will effectively PREVENT ME from able to continue the story for at least 1 to 2 weeks, and THAT IS a bad design. Not taking under consideration people with very limited time who only ever picked up their game because of the story itself, is a MAJOR oversight.

>

> As for currencies, trade contracts are plentiful, especially if you buy nothing but mounts with them. They are actually cheap in this department costing only 50 to 100 per mount. You get tons of those just through a story and occasional heart you will do along the way. When you only get 3 silver with change per event, 40g is not a small amount to get. I actually just picked up the skimmer (4g is a reasonable price, and still have 200 trade contracts just from story and few things along the way, but I am down to 60 copper... 20g? yeah right).

Calm down, you're apparently so upset you didn't read what I wrote. You've ascribed motivation to what I posted based on misreading what was written. And worse, you've again digressed from your main point by attacking people who disagree with you *and* with people who only disagree with your rhetoric.

So again, I urge you to focus just on the main point: "should masteries include a gold sink?" Or perhaps you'd prefer the stronger version, "masteries should *not* include gold sinks." After all, they didn't for Core nor for HoT. It's completely irrelevant to your point as to whether it's personally inconvenient to anyone.

And again, I'll remind you of my position: no maybe they shouldn't include a gold sink. (I just don't agree that someone's personal play style or limited game time should be the relevant factor in deciding whether to include a sink or not.)

_added:_ I just realized part of what you might have misunderstood. The story is gated by masteries *and those masteries cost gold. I skipped to the cost of masteries, since that's where the gold sink is. To say, "I don't think story should cost gold" is functionally equivalent in PoF to "I don't think masteries should cost gold". And I agree that no, maybe stories should never be gated behind gold costs either. But I feel less strongly about that than I do about Masteries: one can enjoy much of PoF without playing the story, but mounts (and their masteries) are fundamental to both story and mapping.

> @Vladish.3940 said:

> Thank you, as I mentioned before, this is first time I hear that jackal isn't needed for story progression

Page one of this thread, third post:

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> Jackal isn't necessary for any of the story content, so the story doesn't pay for it. It's a optional mount.

That's a small pittance honestly. Dailies that require very little effort give 2g/day. Story content even gives things to salvage and the odd T6 mat drops from mobs or bags you open. The griffon price tag I could understand being irritated about. The jackal though? Play through some dungeons, get into fractals, or just run around doing...anything and you could afford that.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Or, look in your Material Storage or bank. You may have some mats or items to sell.

> Or, maybe some kind soul will take pity on you.

>

> Good luck.

This is good advice. I just went through and sold all mats for any crafting I don't use. I ended up about 100g richer.

> @Glacial.9516 said:

> I think the gold cost for the mounts is pretty silly. They're mastery tracks, they really don't need to be gated behind gold. I know, 20g isn't -that- hard to get for a one-time purchase, but it's still a very strange place for a gold sink. And I think 250g for the griffon is completely absurd. I doubt I'll even buy that, hopefully there's no area that only the Griffon can reach! I wouldn't pay 250g for any of the HoT masteries except gliding, and even then I'd do it reluctantly after months of being bitter over the design choice. So. Who knows, maybe that's precisely what I'll do with the Griffon.

Acquiring each mount gives you a MP as well. So think of it as buying a MP and the mount is free.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

>

> Calm down, you're apparently so upset you didn't read what I wrote. You've ascribed motivation to what I posted based on misreading what was written. And worse, you've again digressed from your main point by attacking people who disagree with you *and* with people who only disagree with your rhetoric.

>

> So again, I urge you to focus just on the main point: "should masteries include a gold sink?" Or perhaps you'd prefer the stronger version, "masteries should *not* include gold sinks." After all, they didn't for Core nor for HoT. It's completely irrelevant to your point as to whether it's personally inconvenient to anyone.

>

> And again, I'll remind you of my position: no maybe they shouldn't include a gold sink. (I just don't agree that someone's personal play style or limited game time should be the relevant factor in deciding whether to include a sink or not.)

>

> _added:_ I just realized part of what you might have misunderstood. The story is gated by masteries *and those masteries cost gold. I skipped to the cost of masteries, since that's where the gold sink is. To say, "I don't think story should cost gold" is functionally equivalent in PoF to "I don't think masteries should cost gold". And I agree that no, maybe stories should never be gated behind gold costs either. But I feel less strongly about that than I do about Masteries: one can enjoy much of PoF without playing the story, but mounts (and their masteries) are fundamental to both story and mapping.

Do you respond to people by intentionally just skimming content of their messages? "your claim is that there shouldn't be any gold sinks for you" (your statement implying that's what I said). I never made a statement like that. My statement was that there shouldn't be a gold sink stopping progression of a story over extended period of time without providing you with the gold for it THROUGH the story itself in the first place. But as I said, the whole conversation is moot at this point, since the gold sinks do not affect story progression. You WILL make 5g along the way by the time you get to Skimmer and (even though all I have left, is like 60 copper now), doesn't prevent story progression (they provide resources needed for it, which is fine by design). Which ironically somewhat agrees with your last paragraph.

NEVER have I made a statement that "masteries shouldn't include gold sinks" as a whole. On the contrary, multiple times I mentioned that Griffin is a good idea and a fine implementation of a gold sink (as it does not affect story whatsoever). Since as I was corrected by few awesome people here, neither does Jackal (which I was misinformed about), that mount is fine as a gold sink too.

And yes, vaguely my statement is "I don't think story should cost gold" or as it should be read as "I don't think story progression should include gold sinks" (which is LITERALLY what I typed, and could be read as such instead of fishing for some abstract concepts), which is NOT equivalent of "I don't think masteries should cost gold."

As I said before, your statements only show vague acknowledgement of the actual content you're quoting. You either didn't read it/skimmed it, lack the understanding of it, or at this point are trying to desperately troll, and regardless, my conversation with you is over. Cheers.