Suggestion: Combo finisher upgrade for more cooperative game

Combo finisher it's a very good mechanics to force player to do some cooperation to boost up damage or fast healing, but nowadays none use it.

Many build today are focussed to doing their own work with or without ally. This is very sad to view.

IMHO combo need a big update

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> With my engie I use combos most of the time. It is a SUPER FUN AND CHALLENGING aspect of the game that should receive way more love.

Big ol' Bomb + Bombkit 2 (Fire bomb) is still the most satisfying sequence of explosions in the game

> @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> I've almost reached 5k hours in the game. STILL don't know how combo finisher works or even looks like. I only know they exist from an achievement and my character shouting "now that's a combo".

I'm almost as unaware as you despite solid play for years. But I do know that if I do a Reaper GS spin in a field (especially my own GS4 field) I get bonus life force and if I shoot missiles standing in someone's fire field I add burning to my shots.

Basically any persistent aoe field or standing wall (eg Engie flame wall from flame thrower) applies effects to other attacks that go through it. Mouse over your various fields to see what type of actions combine with them, such as "Whirl" for spin attacks.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> I don't like bombs too much, bu I can't deny that explosive satisfaction.

> I currently love to give some love to groups of mobs with: napalm, prismatic singularity, flame blast, jump shot, holographic shockwave, photon blitz.

I feel like this is the equivalent of the "It's my birthday!!!!!" button sequence from Thor: Ragnarok.

FLOOSH WOOSH PEW PEW BZZZT FLAU FLAU "IT'S MY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAY"

On my condi thief I just love having an elementalist around. Tons on whirl-finishers on a condi spec + ele's near 100% fire-field uptime is just lovely.

In my opinion there are several problems with combos currently:

1. New players aren't taught how to use them. We need something similar to the dodge training.

2. From the effects on the ground it's often not obvious what kind of combo field (if any) a skill has.

3. Combo fields are covered by tons of other visual noise.

4. Priority of overlapping combo fields is elusive. I've done tons of tests on my ele and I still can't figure out a general rule besides "projectiles finish the field they enter first".

> @"alphaea.8017" said:

> > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > I don't like bombs too much, bu I can't deny that explosive satisfaction.

> > I currently love to give some love to groups of mobs with: napalm, prismatic singularity, flame blast, jump shot, holographic shockwave, photon blitz.

>

> I feel like this is the equivalent of the "It's my birthday!!!!!" button sequence from Thor: Ragnarok.

> FLOOSH WOOSH PEW PEW BZZZT FLAU FLAU "IT'S MY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAY"

Exactly. But everything is on fire.

I regularly use combo fields and finishers. Probably the most I used the Engineer's Healing Turret water field and blast finisher by destroying it in the past. There are only a few weapon skills that allow to use both a field and a finisher without weapon swap so most of the time or as long as the swap is on cd, one either will place a field or "finish" a field placed by another player. Depending on the classes around (melee or ranged) and the used skill it situationally is more beneficial to place a field not at the mob's location but where the players are, like I often do with Time Warp to make sure, that as many players as possible are affected by the quickness buff.

Go to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo to read more about it.

Combos are a really nice mechanic in GW2, and I think that Anet needs to do something to make players more aware of combos and how to do them. There used to be a daily for killing mobs with combos. An in-game tutorial would be better, IMO.

A skill's pop-up tool tip will tell you if it is a combo field(and the type) or a finisher(and the type) if either of those applies.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > @"alphaea.8017" said:

> > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > I don't like bombs too much, bu I can't deny that explosive satisfaction.

> > > I currently love to give some love to groups of mobs with: napalm, prismatic singularity, flame blast, jump shot, holographic shockwave, photon blitz.

> >

> > I feel like this is the equivalent of the "It's my birthday!!!!!" button sequence from Thor: Ragnarok.

> > FLOOSH WOOSH PEW PEW BZZZT FLAU FLAU "IT'S MY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAY"

>

> Exactly. But everything is on fire.

Fire is good. I like fire. Fire brings heat and light to the world. Fire is gooooooooooood! Give me MORE FIRE! (cackles with glee)

(Why do you think Guardian, elementalist, and flamethrower engineer are my three favourite classes?)

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > @"alphaea.8017" said:

> > > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > > I don't like bombs too much, bu I can't deny that explosive satisfaction.

> > > > I currently love to give some love to groups of mobs with: napalm, prismatic singularity, flame blast, jump shot, holographic shockwave, photon blitz.

> > >

> > > I feel like this is the equivalent of the "It's my birthday!!!!!" button sequence from Thor: Ragnarok.

> > > FLOOSH WOOSH PEW PEW BZZZT FLAU FLAU "IT'S MY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAY"

> >

> > Exactly. But everything is on fire.

>

> Fire is good. I like fire. Fire brings heat and light to the world. Fire is gooooooooooood! Give me MORE FIRE! (cackles with glee)

>

> (Why do you think Guardian, elementalist, and flamethrower engineer are my three favourite classes?)

I like your wording here - implying flamethrower engi is separate CLASS from other engies ;)

> @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > @"alphaea.8017" said:

> > > > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > > > I don't like bombs too much, bu I can't deny that explosive satisfaction.

> > > > > I currently love to give some love to groups of mobs with: napalm, prismatic singularity, flame blast, jump shot, holographic shockwave, photon blitz.

> > > >

> > > > I feel like this is the equivalent of the "It's my birthday!!!!!" button sequence from Thor: Ragnarok.

> > > > FLOOSH WOOSH PEW PEW BZZZT FLAU FLAU "IT'S MY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAY"

> > >

> > > Exactly. But everything is on fire.

> >

> > Fire is good. I like fire. Fire brings heat and light to the world. Fire is gooooooooooood! Give me MORE FIRE! (cackles with glee)

> >

> > (Why do you think Guardian, elementalist, and flamethrower engineer are my three favourite classes?)

>

> I like your wording here - implying flamethrower engi is separate CLASS from other engies ;)

Oh dear, that wasn't quite what I meant to say. "Guardian, elementalist, and engineer-using-flamethrower" is so clumsy, though. ;) :p

> @"Regn.1924" said:

> I cannot stand playing classes that forces me to click on skills consecutively in order to achieve optimization, as it quickly goes from "fun" to tedious repetition. How do you plan on countering this potential issue?

I'm not quite sure what you imagine the alternative could be. Mashing keys at random? Using only autoattack? And my experience of GW2 combat is that it is anything *but* "click on skills consecutively".

> @"Regn.1924" said:

> I cannot stand playing classes that forces me to click on skills consecutively in order to achieve optimization, as it quickly goes from "fun" to tedious repetition. How do you plan on countering this potential issue?

you dont have to do that to achieve optimization, but to get an edge in combat. would you rather rely solely on auto attack and 3 other skills? ok play a class that allows that, no biggie. to say that all classes should be so simple to suit some peoples preferences is ludicrous.

The Elementalist is perhaps the worst of all the classes when it comes to the need of consecutive action, to use in example. The Guardian is relatively mild in comparison, where it unlike the Elementalist at the very least can deal a moderate amount of damage without. I did not suggest that all classes should be suited to my needs. I have one of each class, and I stick to my preferences. I was asking a question regarding what seemed a proposition to reduce all classes to an art form of which would consist primarily of memorizing combinations in order to successfully achieve anything in the game. Because, if they were to e.g. increase the damage of combo fields, then adjust the game's difficulty to match this new damage output popularized by you, any other method of dealing damage would at worst be out of the question, no?

> @"Regn.1924" said:

> The Elementalist is perhaps the worst of all the classes when it comes to the need of consecutive action, to use in example. The Guardian is relatively mild in comparison, where it unlike the Elementalist at the very least can deal a moderate amount of damage without. I did not suggest that all classes should be suited to my needs. I have one of each class, and I stick to my preferences. I was asking a question regarding what seemed a proposition to reduce all classes to an art form of which would consist primarily of memorizing combinations in order to successfully achieve anything in the game. Because, if they were to e.g. increase the damage of combo fields, then adjust the game's difficulty to match this new damage output popularized by you, any other method of dealing damage would at worst be out of the question, no?

They have kind of gone in the other direction. Blasting fire fields used to be very important, now many classes have other means to generate might, marginalizing combos. So I would say the damage has already increased, no?

The problem with combo fields is that there are way too many of them and it's impossible to tell in group play which field you're going to combo! They also seem to have a lot less impact with all of the power creep in the expansions. I mean, blasting a fire field to stack 25 might on my d/d ele is always fun, but there's not much point to it when everyone can generate tons of might just doing normal rotations. And then when I'm in a group I can't even try to do that because inevitably a guardian will drop stupid light fields all over the place making your combos essentially worthless.

It's a fun mechanic, but it needs an overhaul. It just isn't working the way it's supposed to for group play these days.

> @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > @"alphaea.8017" said:

> > > > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > > > I don't like bombs too much, bu I can't deny that explosive satisfaction.

> > > > > I currently love to give some love to groups of mobs with: napalm, prismatic singularity, flame blast, jump shot, holographic shockwave, photon blitz.

> > > >

> > > > I feel like this is the equivalent of the "It's my birthday!!!!!" button sequence from Thor: Ragnarok.

> > > > FLOOSH WOOSH PEW PEW BZZZT FLAU FLAU "IT'S MY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAY"

> > >

> > > Exactly. But everything is on fire.

> >

> > Fire is good. I like fire. Fire brings heat and light to the world. Fire is gooooooooooood! Give me MORE FIRE! (cackles with glee)

> >

> > (Why do you think Guardian, elementalist, and flamethrower engineer are my three favourite classes?)

>

> I like your wording here - implying flamethrower engi is separate CLASS from other engies ;)

What do you mind with "implying". Are you in doubt about that proven fact?

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > > > @"alphaea.8017" said:

> > > > > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > > > > I don't like bombs too much, bu I can't deny that explosive satisfaction.

> > > > > > I currently love to give some love to groups of mobs with: napalm, prismatic singularity, flame blast, jump shot, holographic shockwave, photon blitz.

> > > > >

> > > > > I feel like this is the equivalent of the "It's my birthday!!!!!" button sequence from Thor: Ragnarok.

> > > > > FLOOSH WOOSH PEW PEW BZZZT FLAU FLAU "IT'S MY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAY"

> > > >

> > > > Exactly. But everything is on fire.

> > >

> > > Fire is good. I like fire. Fire brings heat and light to the world. Fire is gooooooooooood! Give me MORE FIRE! (cackles with glee)

> > >

> > > (Why do you think Guardian, elementalist, and flamethrower engineer are my three favourite classes?)

> >

> > I like your wording here - implying flamethrower engi is separate CLASS from other engies ;)

>

> What do you mind with "implying". Are you in doubt about that proven fact?

I see what you did here ;)