Can we PLEASE have a warning for expensive items on the TP?

I was unlocking skins this evening by buying medium and heavy armor off the TP that I didn't have. When I was buying the Iron Legion heavy armor, I accidentally spent 60g on the shoulders. I hadn't realized that they were so hard to get (the rest of the set is craftable so it's only 5-30 silver) and just blindly bought them- then saw that I had gone down from 100g to 40g. Buying useless green armor. I stupidly salvaged them before looking it up on the wiki and finding out I could get the skin for a few medals of honor.

So can we please have some sort of warning? Maybe if you're buying something that's over 1/3 or 1/2 your current amount of gold, and you have over 10g? Or maybe if you're buying a white/blue/green for over 10g? Or just the option to set your own warnings? I'm just frustrated because I wanted that gold to go towards something more useful, like the legendary I'm working on.

Lesson learned I guess.

Maybe pay attention, the rest of us don’t want excessive additional clicks because some people jump the gun all the time buying/selling/crafting stuff by mistake due to lack of attention span.

You could have bought the entire set from Tiga Fierceblade in Diessa Plateau for karma.

Use the Wiki, there’s a few vendors that sell lots of skin sets really cheap.

Wouldn’t that just slow down the Trading Post if before each purchase it has to check the amount of gold in your wallet and the price of the item and calculate the % to know whether or not you need a warning? Won’t it have to block the sale each time to keep you from buying the item while it’s doing the calculations and also block the sale even longer while it sends out the warning and waits for your override?

I’m sorry you lost a substantial part of your savings but it’s better to learn to be careful and check than to set up the trading post to block sales while it examines your finances.

So, on the listings you see that the item goes for 60 gold. You click it and see the current by and sell orders. Which are all probably around there (except for buy order). Then on the upper part of the dialogue window you also see how much you will pay. Then you click buy. See the problem? The game already told you tons of times that "hey, this thing costs 60 gold". You just didn't listen to it and bought it. Tough luck. Pay more attention.

I hate confirmation dialogs, especially as developer tend to place them on the wrong decisions. GW2 has much to many of them already, e.g. "Do you really want to leave the PVP Lobby". Of course! And even if I don't answering the dialog takes longer than reentering it.

On the other side a self-settable threshold for max-spending without confirmation would be nice. I liked on the pre-wallet time that you could deposit gold on the bank, that wasn't automatically spend.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> I hate confirmation dialogs, especially as developer tend to place them on the wrong decisions. GW2 has much to many of them already, e.g. "Do you really want to leave the PVP Lobby". Of course! And even if I don't answering the dialog takes longer than reentering it.

>

> On the other side a self-settable threshold for max-spending without confirmation would be nice. I liked on the pre-wallet time that you could deposit gold on the bank, that wasn't automatically spend.

After all, we can still be happy that the Devs didn't make us type in "I want to leave the PvP Lobby" as they do when we want to delete certain items =)

> @"Atelia.4852" said:

> I was unlocking skins this evening by buying medium and heavy armor off the TP that I didn't have. When I was buying the Iron Legion heavy armor, I accidentally spent 60g on the shoulders. I hadn't realized that they were so hard to get (the rest of the set is craftable so it's only 5-30 silver) and just blindly bought them- then saw that I had gone down from 100g to 40g. Buying useless green armor. I stupidly salvaged them before looking it up on the wiki and finding out I could get the skin for a few medals of honor.

>

> So can we please have some sort of warning? Maybe if you're buying something that's over 1/3 or 1/2 your current amount of gold, and you have over 10g? Or maybe if you're buying a white/blue/green for over 10g? Or just the option to set your own warnings? I'm just frustrated because I wanted that gold to go towards something more useful, like the legendary I'm working on.

60g sent your way.

Good luck on your Legendary.

> @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > I hate confirmation dialogs, especially as developer tend to place them on the wrong decisions. GW2 has much to many of them already, e.g. "Do you really want to leave the PVP Lobby". Of course! And even if I don't answering the dialog takes longer than reentering it.

> >

> > On the other side a self-settable threshold for max-spending without confirmation would be nice. I liked on the pre-wallet time that you could deposit gold on the bank, that wasn't automatically spend.

>

> After all, we can still be happy that the Devs didn't make us type in "I want to leave the PvP Lobby" as they do when we want to delete certain items =)

Lol, that was so funny! ?

> @"Mourningcry.9428" said:

> > @"Atelia.4852" said:

> > I was unlocking skins this evening by buying medium and heavy armor off the TP that I didn't have. When I was buying the Iron Legion heavy armor, I accidentally spent 60g on the shoulders. I hadn't realized that they were so hard to get (the rest of the set is craftable so it's only 5-30 silver) and just blindly bought them- then saw that I had gone down from 100g to 40g. Buying useless green armor. I stupidly salvaged them before looking it up on the wiki and finding out I could get the skin for a few medals of honor.

> >

> > So can we please have some sort of warning? Maybe if you're buying something that's over 1/3 or 1/2 your current amount of gold, and you have over 10g? Or maybe if you're buying a white/blue/green for over 10g? Or just the option to set your own warnings? I'm just frustrated because I wanted that gold to go towards something more useful, like the legendary I'm working on.

>

> 60g sent your way.

>

> Good luck on your Legendary.

That's a really, really fantastic thing to do, such a nice change from the standard reaction on these forums.

I don't know about the OP but you made me feel a little better about the world today, thanks!

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Mourningcry.9428" said:

> > > @"Atelia.4852" said:

> > > I was unlocking skins this evening by buying medium and heavy armor off the TP that I didn't have. When I was buying the Iron Legion heavy armor, I accidentally spent 60g on the shoulders. I hadn't realized that they were so hard to get (the rest of the set is craftable so it's only 5-30 silver) and just blindly bought them- then saw that I had gone down from 100g to 40g. Buying useless green armor. I stupidly salvaged them before looking it up on the wiki and finding out I could get the skin for a few medals of honor.

> > >

> > > So can we please have some sort of warning? Maybe if you're buying something that's over 1/3 or 1/2 your current amount of gold, and you have over 10g? Or maybe if you're buying a white/blue/green for over 10g? Or just the option to set your own warnings? I'm just frustrated because I wanted that gold to go towards something more useful, like the legendary I'm working on.

> >

> > 60g sent your way.

> >

> > Good luck on your Legendary.

>

> That's a really, really fantastic thing to do, such a nice change from the standard reaction on these forums.

>

> I don't know about the OP but you made me feel a little better about the world today, thanks!

You can send me eternity anytime if you want to feel even better.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"Mourningcry.9428" said:

> > > > @"Atelia.4852" said:

> > > > I was unlocking skins this evening by buying medium and heavy armor off the TP that I didn't have. When I was buying the Iron Legion heavy armor, I accidentally spent 60g on the shoulders. I hadn't realized that they were so hard to get (the rest of the set is craftable so it's only 5-30 silver) and just blindly bought them- then saw that I had gone down from 100g to 40g. Buying useless green armor. I stupidly salvaged them before looking it up on the wiki and finding out I could get the skin for a few medals of honor.

> > > >

> > > > So can we please have some sort of warning? Maybe if you're buying something that's over 1/3 or 1/2 your current amount of gold, and you have over 10g? Or maybe if you're buying a white/blue/green for over 10g? Or just the option to set your own warnings? I'm just frustrated because I wanted that gold to go towards something more useful, like the legendary I'm working on.

> > >

> > > 60g sent your way.

> > >

> > > Good luck on your Legendary.

> >

> > That's a really, really fantastic thing to do, such a nice change from the standard reaction on these forums.

> >

> > I don't know about the OP but you made me feel a little better about the world today, thanks!

>

> You can send me eternity anytime if you want to feel even better.

I'll bear that in mind. :tongue:

A tip I learned from the old days playing EVE Online is "don't risk what you can't afford to lose".

In this case you maybe have too much gold, so could

A) invest in assets (e.g. mystic coins) and deposit them

B) put on some buy orders

C) buy stuff for your legendary and place it in bank/safe alt.

Well done to @Mourningcry.9428 for reimbursing you, worst I've done is vendor an ascended weapon when clearing out the sigils after salvaging (yes I know invisible bags exist!).

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> I hate confirmation dialogs, especially as developer tend to place them on the wrong decisions. GW2 has much to many of them already, e.g. "Do you really want to leave the PVP Lobby". Of course! And even if I don't answering the dialog takes longer than reentering it.

>

> On the other side a self-settable threshold for max-spending without confirmation would be nice. I liked on the pre-wallet time that you could deposit gold on the bank, that wasn't automatically spend.

You can still do that just put in a buy order for a chac egg sack for 100-2k gold noone is going to sell that to you.

> @"Atelia.4852" said:

> So can we please have some sort of warning?

I think the fact that you made that mistake was the warning, to not do it again in the future, trust me I've made a million mistakes like this one and all you can do is try to learn from them, this game is full of these potholes that you can fall into, it's very easy to make mistakes and lose gold even when you know what you are doing. Don't wait for Arenanet to make things easier for you, because they won't, you just have to learn the hard way and be more precise in what you are doing.

> @"Atelia.4852" said:

> > 60g sent your way.

> >

>

> Thank you so much. I'll definitely be more careful next time, and look for some way to invest my gold so this doesn't happen again.

Just save the gold and look twice before spending. If investing means buying items off trading post, be very well aware of the trading post fees when you want to resell the item(s) later and the risk you take that the goods lowered in price while you were holding them. Most items tend to go down in price over time in this game.

> @"Atelia.4852" said:

> > 60g sent your way.

> >

>

> Thank you so much. I'll definitely be more careful next time, and look for some way to invest my gold so this doesn't happen again.

A good way to put gold away out of your wallet is to place buy orders that is obviously not going to fill. Like up to a couple hundred gold for a legendary, or a chak egg sac or similar item. When you want the gold, just cancel the buy order - no fees or anything else taking a cut.

> @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> Just save the gold and look twice before spending. If investing means buying items off trading post, be very well aware of the trading post fees when you want to resell the item(s) later and the risk you take that the goods lowered in price while you were holding them. Most items tend to go down in price over time in this game.

Ah, you make a good point. I'd like to find some way to put gold away so I don't accidentally spend it again, though.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> A good way to put gold away out of your wallet is to place buy orders that is obviously not going to fill. Like up to a couple hundred gold for a legendary, or a chak egg sac or similar item. When you want the gold, just cancel the buy order - no fees or anything else taking a cut.

Hm. I might have to give this a try. Thanks for the advice!