Buying mastery points.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> There's a big difference between buying HP and buying MP. MPs come from *specific achievements*, as opposed to HPs. When buying a HP in WvW, a random HP challenge is completed. For MPs - should a random MP-giving achievement be completed?

No. The achievements should be left separate, so you can choose them if you want.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> You seem to have suggested this because one person reported trouble getting Mastery points in one section of the game. That’s hardly a reason to redo a core mechanic of progression and change it into something completely trivial to get.

Mastery points are already relatively trivial to get for a lot of us, but the guy having trouble had a really good point. I would have loved this option when I was stalled on Central Tyria masteries. "Core mechanic of progression" can translate to an annoying timesink that blocks progression when you don't want to do the content (fractals for me), or haven't got LS2.

> @"Faffin.6741" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > There's a big difference between buying HP and buying MP. MPs come from *specific achievements*, as opposed to HPs. When buying a HP in WvW, a random HP challenge is completed. For MPs - should a random MP-giving achievement be completed?

>

> No. The achievements should be left separate, so you can choose them if you want.

Problem: **Every** MP comes from an achievement, technically. Even the communing ones. This would require somehow *splitting off* existing achievement rewards *for each individual account*. In other words, a *complete redesign of how MPs are aquired, and/or potentially *having to redo how acievements give their reward*.

Do you see quite how huge a change it would likely be?

> @"Faffin.6741" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > You seem to have suggested this because one person reported trouble getting Mastery points in one section of the game. That’s hardly a reason to redo a core mechanic of progression and change it into something completely trivial to get.

>

> Mastery points are already relatively trivial to get for a lot of us, but the guy having trouble had a really good point. I would have loved this option when I was stalled on Central Tyria masteries. "Core mechanic of progression" can translate to an annoying timesink that blocks progression **when you don't want to do the content** (fractals for me), or haven't got LS2.

>

>

I think the bolded is the issue and why many will likely not agree with you. There are plenty of excess mastery points available which allows you enough free to pick and choose what you want for the most part. It’s not going to allow you to pick everything if your preference is narrow.

It’s pretty much the same thing that you see with people who complain about the daily system. There are twelve achievements to choose from and we only need to do three. There are people who hate anything PvP so they ignore those. They may even hate activities, adventures, and fractals so they won’t do those either. What they’re left with is a very narrow list of daily achievements that they’d do and some days they may not be able to complete the daily. They then blame the system, rather than themselves, for limiting what is available to them.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"Faffin.6741" said:

> > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > There's a big difference between buying HP and buying MP. MPs come from *specific achievements*, as opposed to HPs. When buying a HP in WvW, a random HP challenge is completed. For MPs - should a random MP-giving achievement be completed?

> >

> > No. The achievements should be left separate, so you can choose them if you want.

>

> Problem: **Every** MP comes from an achievement, technically. Even the communing ones. This would require somehow *splitting off* existing achievement rewards *for each individual account*. In other words, a *complete redesign of how MPs are aquired, and/or potentially *having to redo how acievements give their reward*.

>

> Do you see quite how huge a change it would likely be?

Do you see how it doesn't need to change at all? The system doesn't care **where** you get the points.

> @"Faffin.6741" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Faffin.6741" said:

> > > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > > There's a big difference between buying HP and buying MP. MPs come from *specific achievements*, as opposed to HPs. When buying a HP in WvW, a random HP challenge is completed. For MPs - should a random MP-giving achievement be completed?

> > >

> > > No. The achievements should be left separate, so you can choose them if you want.

> >

> > Problem: **Every** MP comes from an achievement, technically. Even the communing ones. This would require somehow *splitting off* existing achievement rewards *for each individual account*. In other words, a *complete redesign of how MPs are aquired, and/or potentially *having to redo how acievements give their reward*.

> >

> > Do you see quite how huge a change it would likely be?

>

> Do you see how it doesn't need to change at all? The system doesn't care **where** you get the points.

Actually, it does.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > There already is something useful to spend spirit shards on: https://gw2efficiency.com/currencies/spirit-shards

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Something *awfully inconvenient and annoying

> > >

> > > Hardly. It doesn’t take much to place a few buy orders, convert materials, and then list them. If that requires too much effort then I guess you can continue to accumulate spirit shards.

> >

> > If you enjoy buying hundreds of stacks and clicking a thousand time just to get them all through the process of forging, then clicking another couple of hundred times to sell stuff just to spend around 200 shards then you're very welcome to continue doing so.

> >

> > It IS annoying, because it involves a lot of "work" for little payoff, period. It's monotone and using the forge in general is annoying

>

> So getting extra gold shouldn’t require work? Seriously? Not everything is going to be handed to you.

>

> It does not require a lot of work. You place the buy orders which shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. You’ll average about 250 forges every 20 minutes. It’ll take another couple minutes to list them all.

>

> The fact is that there are already a ton of uses for spirit shards. Just because you want some one-click option to convert them all to gold doesn’t change that. Neither should there be an option to use them to purchase mastery points.

The difference is that I already have everything at my disposal, but now that I have the currency I still need to go two steps beyond that. You can't tell me it's not tedious for tiny gain, so much so that it's perhaps not even worth the time.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > There already is something useful to spend spirit shards on: https://gw2efficiency.com/currencies/spirit-shards

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Something *awfully inconvenient and annoying

> > > >

> > > > Hardly. It doesn’t take much to place a few buy orders, convert materials, and then list them. If that requires too much effort then I guess you can continue to accumulate spirit shards.

> > >

> > > If you enjoy buying hundreds of stacks and clicking a thousand time just to get them all through the process of forging, then clicking another couple of hundred times to sell stuff just to spend around 200 shards then you're very welcome to continue doing so.

> > >

> > > It IS annoying, because it involves a lot of "work" for little payoff, period. It's monotone and using the forge in general is annoying

> >

> > So getting extra gold shouldn’t require work? Seriously? Not everything is going to be handed to you.

> >

> > It does not require a lot of work. You place the buy orders which shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. You’ll average about 250 forges every 20 minutes. It’ll take another couple minutes to list them all.

> >

> > The fact is that there are already a ton of uses for spirit shards. Just because you want some one-click option to convert them all to gold doesn’t change that. Neither should there be an option to use them to purchase mastery points.

>

> The difference is that I already have everything at my disposal, but now that I have the currency I still need to go two steps beyond that. You can't tell me it's not tedious for tiny gain, so much so that it's perhaps not even worth the time.

Tiny gain? Assuming that it takes you 30 minutes to go through 250 spirit shards, and you average 25 silver per shard, that comes out to be 125G per hour. Hardly a tiny gain.

It looks as if you’ve been dismissing that as a use for spirit shards without even looking into it or even trying it. You just want some effortless way to convert shard to gold.

As far as the OP goes, there currently is also a profitable use for spirit shards and they don’t need another sink by buying mastery points.

Mastery Points are already easy enough to get.

Let me get this straight, you want to spend spirit shards to get all the MPs so you can... get more spirit shards? AND trivialize the one meaningful bit of progression GW2 has? How is this a win for anyone except the absolute laziest of players?

The OP even admits that he simply didn’t want to do the content that awards the MPs. Why should the game be dumbed down because of laziness?

> @"Faffin.6741" said:

> To figure out what to charge, find out the average time to get a mastery point vs the average time to get a level, then maybe double it as the price of convenience.

There is no such thing as an "average time to get a mastery point", nor an average time to get a level. There are billions of variables in place. You can also get spirit shards as drops, as rewards from the daily, from reward tracks in pvp/wvw and of course using tomes of knowledge, which are even easier to come by. It's not like you only get spirit shards by leveling up, spirit shards are really easy to acquire even without leveling, in fact the non-leveling ways are much faster than getting spirit shards by leveling.

NO NO NO

GUYS!

OP IS UNTO SOMETHING

Some of us like me have WAY too many mastery points, for which we've been asking for vendors all this time.

We can sell them, then, too the people with way too few mastery points.

I'll just ask for a measly 5g a piece, or throw a few on the trading post for whatever price.

they'll be fixing two sides of the same coin with allowing to gift/trade/sell mastery points :)

(this message was written by a refridgerator. the owner of this acount is not liable for anything the refridgerator says)

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> I’ve got about 7 thousand Spirit Shards. The top person in gw2efficiency has over _61 thousand_. 50% of listed players have 800 or fewer. How many Spirit Shards per Mastery point are you suggesting that wouldn’t be too much for the players with less than 1000 and way to easy for people with thousands?

Most of the people with thousands go after every mastery anyway. Should things on the gem store suddenly be 10x as much because whales exist?

As much as I would like to complete my masteries sooner rather than later, buying them probably isn't the best solution.

A while back ANET put out a bunch of core MPs in easy to reach places. There were haters who thought others were getting something for "free" that they had to work for, but this is a game and how does my mastery level diminish what others have accomplished.

The HoT adventures ... I can't get above Bronze and most of them I can't even complete. But I'm plugging along.

Hmm, personally I miss when the XP bar just stopped at 80. I loved it.

I always end up enjoying playing more when the XP bar is locked, simply because I can ignore anything I don't want to do, because I don't need the xp anyways.

And now for todays, likely, least popular opinion:

I find the XP part to be the most annoying part of the Masteries, because it's just tedious repetitive doing events over and over to fill the bar. I think the mastery system would be much more interesting if they removed the XP part, and just made you collect Mastery Points to unlock things. That way you could focus on doing specific things, tasks, challenges, etc in order to progress. (This would require some slight changes to existing MP's, mostly the channel ones would need some guards and stuff, so you get something to battle or challenge etc).

*pulls out the marshmallows in preparation for the flaming*

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > I’ve got about 7 thousand Spirit Shards. The top person in gw2efficiency has over _61 thousand_. 50% of listed players have 800 or fewer. How many Spirit Shards per Mastery point are you suggesting that wouldn’t be too much for the players with less than 1000 and way to easy for people with thousands?

>

> Most of the people with thousands go after every mastery anyway. Should things on the gem store suddenly be 10x as much because whales exist?

>

They do? Source? Because pure guessing to make a point in the forum isn’t the same as knowing. (By the way, I don’t have every Mastery point or even have all the Mastery lines maxed out)

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> Hmm, personally I miss when the XP bar just stopped at 80. I loved it.

>

> I always end up enjoying playing more when the XP bar is locked, simply because I can ignore anything I don't want to do, because I don't need the xp anyways.

>

> And now for todays, likely, least popular opinion:

>

> I find the XP part to be the most annoying part of the Masteries, because it's just tedious repetitive doing events over and over to fill the bar. I think the mastery system would be much more interesting if they removed the XP part, and just made you collect Mastery Points to unlock things. That way you could focus on doing specific things, tasks, challenges, etc in order to progress. (This would require some slight changes to existing MP's, mostly the channel ones would need some guards and stuff, so you get something to battle or challenge etc).

>

> *pulls out the marshmallows in preparation for the flaming*

I basically agree, even though I don't have anything against the current system.

To me, XP isn't something I consider a reward in itself. It's simply a means to an end. It's there to reach the next level or the next mastery. Once there are no more to reach (permanently or temporarily) XP is simply a non-issue.

I think Mastery Points named "Mastery" because its your mastery, not currency. If you so lazy or want p2w game - change the game. Because broken game with mastery in trade tabs very very ugly idea. In this game we're can buy cosmetics but no result for the core mechanic. Look at SWTOR if you want to buy everything and be "a cool guy" without hands.

Its my opinion.