Next Expac

With the water rework I hope the Jade sea where that dragon was stuck in gw1 gets thawed out and we we get to go to cantha. Bring on some under water mount and make the bubble glider 50% faster then other gliders underwater. What's that under water glider? Nah but hook up to the back of a friend's mount to kite surf or use the bubble glider and I'll play it on release day even.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > @"Lord Krilik.3692" said:

> > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > @"Rysdude.3824" said:

> > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > The game is in a very stale state. Expansion or not, they better announce big things.

> > > >

> > > > What do you consider a stale state?

> > >

> > > Guild Wars 2.

> >

> > Don't worry. You can uninstall.

>

> That's the spirit. You better not be a dev or your game will have less people playing it than Destiny 2.

You're not getting what you want from it, so seek it somewhere else. That's capitalism for you. You're spoiled for choice. The game isn't aimed at everyone. It's aimed at people looking for what it brings, and it's not bringing it to you. You think it's stale. Move to something that isn't stale to you. Job done.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> I hope they take the full 2 years (a long running lw season if not 2 small ones) before they announce expac n3.

>

> I also hope its more like hot or at least a mix between pof and hot that leens more towards hot. Metas, maps, replayability and rewards in hot made the game more of a worthwhile purchase and experience than pof has done not to say that pof is bad but generally expansions should expand the endgame.

>

>

> Pof failed imo where hot a feature based expansions succeded. Making gw2 more of an mmo and expanding its endgame. Also no metas/ world bosses in pof was criminal.

>

>

My feelings exactly

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Then I look at Kourna and see a map that wasn't very interesting from a story or gameplay perspective and was always going to have an uphill struggle given GW1 Kourna >was fairly bland too.

Well said. **This** is one thing i forgot to mention. Not all of us are GW1 players, not all of us are riding nostalgia trains. I for one couldn't care less about Elona, or Cantha. Corrention: I care. **TO NOT SEE THEM IN GW 2**. Because as you well said yourself, it'll drag the map design down to previous gen game, due to consistency with legacy topography.

This is another reason i love HoT - because it's simply wild jungle they could go crazy with it and they did. Huge breath of fresh air and completely new experience instead of "legacy content +" that i would call downgrade from what could be..

Given how the new episode feels despite taking extra weeks to "polish", I don't exactly see much of a need to take a lot of time with the new expansion. Sorry.

However, wishes for the new expansion:

* "Initialize" the living story map(s) with the main expansion. Have a **giant** (2x normal size) map which at expansion release cannot fully be explored and even the explored areas feel... barren. Then as the living story releases, this map permanently changes, opening up, transforming, expanding. All living story episodes would play in this giant map, at the end of the story season, we have a huge fully actualized map to play in, permanently. Reasoning: I dislike how "throaway" the LS maps feel, probably as a result of their rapid content creation cycle. They're as theme park as GW2 ever is, even comparing actual theme park ride maps such as SW or DS.

* Either **skip** new elite specs, or re-think their implementation. Because just 2 sets in, the way they're done annoyed me to the point that it was more or less why my interaction with the game dropped off so much. The "transformative"-element never came to be because other than 2-3 specs they don't *take anything meaningful away* to replace it with something else. And even when they do (Reaper, Scourge, Mirage, Holosmith) the specific implementation leaves the "meaningful" part unfulfilled, resulting in the same business as usual. Nevermind how many elite specs fall flat due to missing their design goal. Mr Heavy Power Slow Hitter Reaper or Mr Support Necro Scourge Not Just Another Condi Spammer. A better approach would be to drop the rigid 1 new mechanic + 1 new type of skills + 1 new weapon design, and instead work on class mechanics directly to support new elite specs, only adding what happens to work well to realize a new core gameplay style.

* Mechanically support a tank role, and implement better support for buffer / healer support roles by implementing single target friendly effects and allowing friendly targets to be used for those. This could lead to much deeper raid/boss mechanics in that expansion, too. Sadly unrealistic due to the sweeping retouching of all existing content it'd need.

> @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> Because as you well said yourself, it'll drag the map design down to previous gen game, due to consistency with legacy topography.

You need to look more carefully at the areas that are in both games. Much of the topography is only vaguely similar (and, in fact, significantly less similar than it should be).

Example: Go to Istan and look at the relative size and position of Kamadan / Palawadan versus the Plains of Jarin and the Sunspear Great Hall.

Example: Go to the Iron Marches, and look at the area around the Cup.(1) It's nothing like the GW1 Pre-Searing Northlands, nor the post-Searing equivalent areas.

(1) "Searing Cauldron". I always called it "the Cup".

> @"thiago.5608" said:

> So, u guys think they will announce the next xpac at the end of episode 4 as they did in the last season with a cinematic trailer?

Yep, I hope they will tease us again like they did on our lastest living world season 3.

"_We're going to Crystal desert."_ at the end with Livia.

Oooooooh :) :)

For me, it is not too soon for a new expansion, I am literally waiting for it! Come to meee, ;)

Surely not so soon. I'm guessing something like Ep4 in early September, Ep5 late November/early December, Ep6 March 2019 with next Expansion dropping around this time next year (ie May/June). Unless there happens to be an Ep7/8, in which case the releases could be closer together or the expansion is further away.

Just pure speculation based on time between HoT and PoF.

I thought I heard ANet saying that we won't see another expansion like HoT. They wanted "smaller" expansions that they can release more quickly. I could be wrong.

I didn't care much for the HoT map design as I found the vertical elements quite annoying. PoF is okay but I don't find myself on those maps as often as I did on HoT. Maybe due to more to do in the HoT maps with metas so maybe some hybrid between the two.

But considering they revamped underwater abilities, I feel like we're going to the Jade Sea next.

> @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Then I look at Kourna and see a map that wasn't very interesting from a story or gameplay perspective and was always going to have an uphill struggle given GW1 Kourna >was fairly bland too.

>

> Well said. **This** is one thing i forgot to mention. Not all of us are GW1 players, not all of us are riding nostalgia trains. I for one couldn't care less about Elona, or Cantha. Corrention: I care. **TO NOT SEE THEM IN GW 2**. Because as you well said yourself, it'll drag the map design down to previous gen game, due to consistency with legacy topography.

>

> This is another reason i love HoT - because it's simply wild jungle they could go crazy with it and they did. Huge breath of fresh air and completely new experience instead of "legacy content +" that i would call downgrade from what could be..

>

Ya know, they changed the crystal dessert as much as they changed the jungle compared to the first game.

If you think there's a "nostalgia wave" you may want to compare the overview maps from the first and the second game. The devs are changing things big time. Just looking at core:

* The Steamspur Mountains was covered in snow and ice.

* There were no visible Volcano.

* Orr wasn't there at all.

* Ratasum was a square of stones on the ground.

* caledon forest, metrica province, the grove brisban wildlands were all deep jungle.

* Divinitys reach didn't exist.

* The whole of Ascalon was so grey it makes the silver wastes look green, to compare. There were NO vegitation, and the only colour on those maps was the occasional searing crystals. The whole region was burned ashes, ghosts and flame legion.

* There were no bloodtide coast.

* The whole of gw2 Tyria, could probably fit into just gw1 Kryta, if you compare map sizes.

I could go on, and on about this. But the point is: There's no such thing as a nostalgia wave, when NOTHING is the same, NOTHING even compares to the old world. So before you say anything more on that subject, you may want to find out what you're talking about. Because quite frankly, the only thing we've seen before in the Domain of Kourna, is the name "Kourna".

Sure, the roller beeltes looks like themselves...

I for one think that this new map was amazing. I like that they added some plain and simple maps, as opposed to HoT's complexity. I would much prefer some more complex maps next time, but I like that these maps are not. I also think that this new chapter of the story was, by far, the most interesting piece of the story in an age.

> @"Zelanard.5806" said:

> * The whole of gw2 Tyria, could probably fit into just gw1 Kryta, if you compare map sizes.

On the whole, I agree with you - especially in the comparison between Maguuma and the Crystal Desert as to changes. The above point however, does *not* hold up. I'd like to point to [That_Shaman's Historical Guide to Tyria](https://blog.thatshaman.com/p/historical-guide.html?m=1).

> @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > @"Rysdude.3824" said:

> > > The game is in a very stale state. Expansion or not, they better announce big things.

> >

> > What do you consider a stale state?

>

> Perhaps a state where the game can't be played 24/7 without running out of content.

Lol, let's burn the candle at both ends, then hang it over a roaring fire, and expect it to last forever. If you play any game 24/7, you will get burned out.

I REALLY like the cinematic for the last episode of the Living World leaving a MASSIVE cliffhanger for the next Expac.

I would like the next Expac to give a lot more quality of life, such as build templates, but to also retrospectively fill in some of the gaps of the previous games/expansions.

I'd like more skills added to the game!

I'd like for each profession to have a heal, 4 utility skills and an elite skill for each skill type. Currently there are holes in some of the skill collections.

For example, a necro has a heal well, 4 utility wells but no elite well. A guardian has 4 utility consecrations, but no healing or elite consecrations. An ele has 4 utility conjures and an elite conjure, but no healing conjure.

I'd like a lot of these gaps as well as various unresolved story threads (too numerous to go into), resolved in the next expansion.

> @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > @"Rysdude.3824" said:

> > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > The game is in a very stale state. Expansion or not, they better announce big things.

> > >

> > > What do you consider a stale state?

> >

> > Perhaps a state where the game can't be played 24/7 without running out of content.

>

> Lol, let's burn the candle at both ends, then hang it over a roaring fire, and expect it to last forever. If you play any game 24/7, you will get burned out.

What? Who plays 24/7 a 6 years old game? There are no challenging gameplay for 3h worth of playtime, let alone anything more.

> > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > > > The game is in a very stale state. Expansion or not, they better announce big things.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Perhaps a state where the game can't be played 24/7 without running out of content.

> >

> > Lol, let's burn the candle at both ends, then hang it over a roaring fire, and expect it to last forever. If you play any game 24/7, you will get burned out.

>

> What? Who plays 24/7 a 6 years old game? There are no challenging gameplay for 3h worth of playtime, let alone anything more.

You sound burned out. I just made a year and still have a ton of goals IG

> @"Rysdude.3824" said:

> > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > > > @"Rysdude.3824" said:

> > > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > > The game is in a very stale state. Expansion or not, they better announce big things.

> > > > >

> > > > > What do you consider a stale state?

> > > >

> > > > Perhaps a state where the game can't be played 24/7 without running out of content.

> > >

> > > Lol, let's burn the candle at both ends, then hang it over a roaring fire, and expect it to last forever. If you play any game 24/7, you will get burned out.

> >

> > What? Who plays 24/7 a 6 years old game? There are no challenging gameplay for 3h worth of playtime, let alone anything more.

>

> You sound burned out. I just made a year and still have a ton of goals IG

>

But burned out on what, tho? The only thing i could think off of is the Fractals, something is stopped doing completely back in 2014. Can't really be burned out on anything else because there's nothing else. The raids are not for me because you get absolutely nothing from them, they're pointless, can't even make money by playing them. Old dungeon are long gone and forgotten. Wvw is stale but fun enough when active. Open world maps isn't content. Grinding achievements is not content. GW2 doesn't even have enough content to be burned out on.

I don't know when the next expansion will be (maybe January 2020?), but I am not so sure that the GW2 can last for longer than the next expansion. It seems to me that once we are done with the last dragon, there is no more Lore to have. I mean there is, but not in terms of a danger. We as characters are basically smarter and stronger than Gods and Dragons. I doubt there is anything more dangerous than them.

Another problem is a huge number of maps combined with mounts. It will be harder and harder to make new maps, they have to be large because of mounts (unless they nerf them with new game mechanics in new maps), which basically means less quality. At least I do not think that any PoF and LS maps after PoF expansion have any real gameplay quality and replayability. They are nice to look at, that's about it.

That being said, if I combine these points, I come to the conclusion that GW2 will have more and more problems as the time goes. A lot of resources (time and money) will be put just into making large maps because of mounts, and the story will be more of a filler because there are not any more dangerous creatures left to fight after dragons. Unless they do, for me, a smart thing and let dragons win, destroying the balance of magic and nerfing our character.

I think that it would be a smart thing to think about making GW3, doing the timeshift again. 100 years before our time, or 1000 years before our time, or again 200 years in the future. And get rid of Gods and Dragons as enemies, those are too powerful beings to base the game on. I would rather have more personal, flesh and bones enemies.

GW2 is beautiful and all, but they went too far, too fast, too big for it to live for more than 1 or 2 more expansions.

Everything is my opinion.

> > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > >

> > >

> > > Perhaps a state where the game can't be played 24/7 without running out of content.

> >

> > Lol, let's burn the candle at both ends, then hang it over a roaring fire, and expect it to last forever. If you play any game 24/7, you will get burned out.

>

> What? Who plays 24/7 a 6 years old game? There are no challenging gameplay for 3h worth of playtime, let alone anything more.

I'm guessing you didn't read what I quoted. It is a reference to not being able to be entertained in this game 24/7. I simply gave a metaphor of what happens.> @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > @"Rysdude.3824" said:

> > > > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > > > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > > > > @"Rysdude.3824" said:

> > > > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > > > The game is in a very stale state. Expansion or not, they better announce big things.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What do you consider a stale state?

> > > > >

> > > > > Perhaps a state where the game can't be played 24/7 without running out of content.

> > > >

> > > > Lol, let's burn the candle at both ends, then hang it over a roaring fire, and expect it to last forever. If you play any game 24/7, you will get burned out.

> > >

> > > What? Who plays 24/7 a 6 years old game? There are no challenging gameplay for 3h worth of playtime, let alone anything more.

> >

> > You sound burned out. I just made a year and still have a ton of goals IG

> >

>

> But burned out on what, tho? The only thing i could think off of is the Fractals, something is stopped doing completely back in 2014. Can't really be burned out on anything else because there's nothing else. The raids are not for me because you get absolutely nothing from them, they're pointless, can't even make money by playing them. Old dungeon are long gone and forgotten. Wvw is stale but fun enough when active. Open world maps isn't content. Grinding achievements is not content. GW2 doesn't even have enough content to be burned out on.

I think you answered your own question. You are burned out on all aspects of the game. You are, at very least, burned out on fractals. The game has more than enough to entertain people, if you aren't burned out on it.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> > @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > Dunno but i hope it'll be more HoT like - more verticality, mazes, fun adventures, crazy good living story maps. If i see another inch of desert i'm gonna start puking sand..

>

> I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

Calm down Hayden Christensen

> @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > @"Rysdude.3824" said:

> > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > The game is in a very stale state. Expansion or not, they better announce big things.

> > >

> > > What do you consider a stale state?

> >

> > Perhaps a state where the game can't be played 24/7 without running out of content.

>

> Lol, let's burn the candle at both ends, then hang it over a roaring fire, and expect it to last forever. If you play any game 24/7, you will get burned out.

Love that comparison =)

That's exactly why my casualness is quite useful in this game B)

> > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

The wvw community plays very long hours with regularity. Glad we’re are getting some dev love soon.

Tbh i think this has game has very much longer life than GW1 did as an active game at a minimum. Theres just so much they can do with this game. I wouldnt be surprised to see an expansion by about midway through 2019 though, LWs4 is coming to a close soonish.

I hope so. GW 2 needs a big win right now and news of the next expansion (especially if its the UW one of my dreams) would spark a lot of needed excitement and momentum.

As far as the next LW episode, it depends on if the dev team finally takes a different and better approach to their process this time.

Without the two writers recently lost, it could set them and episode 4 back further, or with a better direction it could be on time.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> Tbh i think this has game has very much longer life than GW1 did as an active game at a minimum. Theres just so much they can do with this game. I wouldnt be surprised to see an expansion by about midway through 2019 though, LWs4 is coming to a close soonish.

A lot of us still play gw1.