Why does the game still not remember traits??

This has been suggested so many times already, and with good reason...

Okay so ANet is refusing us a way to save and load builds (traits+skills), but please can you at least implement trait memory, so that I don't have to re-read and re-apply every trait whenever I accidentally change it...

Sincerely, the community

> @"MeTx.6712" said:

> This has been suggested so many times already, and with good reason...

>

> Okay so ANet is refusing us a way to save and load builds (traits+skills), but please can you at least implement trait memory, so that I don't have to re-read and re-apply every trait whenever I accidentally change it...

>

> Sincerely, the community

Yeah, this is really annoying and needs to be fixed.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> I am all for build saving but your problem is a completely different issue that would not be solved by such a feature. If you can accidentally change your traits what is there to stop you from accidentally forgetting to save?

The issue is that when you select a different specialization, when you go back to the old one, you have to set all the traits in it, instead of them being saved on the specialization... It's not about accidental changes...

I kind of agree with this. I play WvW on my engineer. I have armor sets for a scrapper squad build. Static discharge roamer solo build. Holosmith general build. Condi fun build. Stealth build. And so on.

Getting the armor takes a lot of work and I wish I could state different traits like in league of legends have a bunch of different builds.

But it's just convinence. I can switch traits when I want to play something else.

> @"Anthony.3207" said:

> I kind of agree with this. I play WvW on my engineer. I have armor sets for a scrapper squad build. Static discharge roamer solo build. Holosmith general build. Condi fun build. Stealth build. And so on.

>

> Getting the armor takes a lot of work and I wish I could state different traits like in league of legends have a bunch of different builds.

>

> But it's just convinence. I can switch traits when I want to play something else.

And this, is half the reason why I have so many characters...

> @"Zelanard.5806" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > I am all for build saving but your problem is a completely different issue that would not be solved by such a feature. If you can accidentally change your traits what is there to stop you from accidentally forgetting to save?

>

> The issue is that when you select a different specialization, when you go back to the old one, you have to set all the traits in it, instead of them being saved on the specialization... It's not about accidental changes...

To be fair, this thread IS about accidental changes, as mentioned in the OP.

When you say, "set all the traits," you are describing three mouse clicks. Presets would require at least one, and likely 2. So a net savings of one mouse click.

I too want build templates, have since launch. But we are talking about one mouse click when someone, somehow (?), accidentally changes a trait here.

> @"Zelanard.5806" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > I am all for build saving but your problem is a completely different issue that would not be solved by such a feature. If you can accidentally change your traits what is there to stop you from accidentally forgetting to save?

>

> The issue is that when you select a different specialization, when you go back to the old one, you have to set all the traits in it, instead of them being saved on the specialization... It's not about accidental changes...

It isn't?

> whenever I *accidentally* change it...

Looks unambiguously about accidents. You have your own reasons but that is apparently different from the OP.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> ArcDPS has a (permitted by Chris) Build Template feature, which will allow you to save, and quickly switch, builds. It isn't built in, but it is available and effective.

I don't want to use third party tools :confused:

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Zelanard.5806" said:

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > I am all for build saving but your problem is a completely different issue that would not be solved by such a feature. If you can accidentally change your traits what is there to stop you from accidentally forgetting to save?

> >

> > The issue is that when you select a different specialization, when you go back to the old one, you have to set all the traits in it, instead of them being saved on the specialization... It's not about accidental changes...

>

> To be fair, this thread IS about accidental changes, as mentioned in the OP.

>

> When you say, "set all the traits," you are describing three mouse clicks. Presets would require at least one, and likely 2. So a net savings of one mouse click.

>

> I too want build templates, have since launch. But we are talking about one mouse click when someone, somehow (?), accidentally changes a trait here.

>

>

The thing is I don't remember all traits and where they are placed, so I have to re-read all the traits whenever I switch, and forget them easily because I change them so quickly.

Now, in my mind, the system is ALREADY IN PLACE! When you log out and in, the traits are naturally saved for use. ANet is actively resetting them when we change them in the traits panel. Really annoying...

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> How do you accidentally change your traits? Is it really such a big deal to click on three spots after you do such an odd thing?

Also if you don't know what traits you are using then do you even know what your traits do or how the build is supposed to work?

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> ArcDPS has a (permitted by Chris) Build Template feature, which will allow you to save, and quickly switch, builds. It isn't built in, but it is available and effective.

Except for the problem that, for all the quality it has, ARCs is a binary level hack and breaks LITERALLY every patch. Yes, they are great at getting it back up fast, but a hack is NOT a replacement for a properly integrated feature. It's once thing for damage tracking, since that is a niche function, but build templates need to be built in properly.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> Also if you don't know what traits you are using then do you even know what your traits do or how the build is supposed to work?

I sometimes have a build I was using for months and forgot exactly why I chose x|y|z instead of a|b|c. I don't always remember exactly what my thinking was. If I swap to a build temporarily for a niche situation, I'd like to be able to return it to how it was without having to recreate the logic.

But as you say, that situation would be addressed by build load outs (or even templates alone).

tl;dr I'd rather see ANet focus on the more comprehensive solution rather than getting distracted by this niche issue.

> @"MeTx.6712" said:

> Now, in my mind, the system is ALREADY IN PLACE! When you log out and in, the traits are naturally saved for use. ANet is actively resetting them when we change them in the traits panel. Really annoying...

This is not at all accurate. There is no system already in place. ANet saves the state of your character. The second you select the new traitline THAT is the new state of your character. To "remember" your build in this fashion would at the very least require a system and UI in place for you to mark WHEN a state should be saved and when to revert back to that.

They also aren't actively resetting them. When you select a new trait line, it overwrites your old one, and those old traits are no longer valid. Since there is no Confirm/Cancel UI for builds, maintaining your old build is not so straightforward.

Sure, build templates would be great! I'd definitely use it all the time. Even if it was just save one build you can revert to with the push of a button. But that is a complex system to implement, so I'm not surprised it hasn't reached the top of their priority list yet. But I disagree that there is anything already in place that would ease their ability to put even the most rudimentary build save system into place.

> @"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > ArcDPS has a (permitted by Chris) Build Template feature, which will allow you to save, and quickly switch, builds. It isn't built in, but it is available and effective.

>

> Except for the problem that, for all the quality it has, ARCs is a binary level hack and breaks LITERALLY every patch. Yes, they are great at getting it back up fast, but a hack is NOT a replacement for a properly integrated feature. It's once thing for damage tracking, since that is a niche function, but build templates need to be built in properly.

I completely agree with everything you say here. (Well, not the "literally" part, since it only breaks on literally every major release, not the subsequent hotfixes, but close enough that I don't need to be pedantic.... oh. dang.)

Anyway, point wasn't "this exists, thus don't bug ANet", point was "this exists, it might help you while you want for ANet".

> @"JDub.1530" said:

> > @"MeTx.6712" said:

> > Now, in my mind, the system is ALREADY IN PLACE! When you log out and in, the traits are naturally saved for use. ANet is actively resetting them when we change them in the traits panel. Really annoying...

>

> This is not at all accurate. There is no system already in place. ANet saves the state of your character. The second you select the new traitline THAT is the new state of your character. To "remember" your build in this fashion would at the very least require a system and UI in place for you to mark WHEN a state should be saved and when to revert back to that.

>

> They also aren't actively resetting them. When you select a new trait line, it overwrites your old one, and those old traits are no longer valid. Since there is no Confirm/Cancel UI for builds, maintaining your old build is not so straightforward.

>

> Sure, build templates would be great! I'd definitely use it all the time. Even if it was just save one build you can revert to with the push of a button. But that is a complex system to implement, so I'm not surprised it hasn't reached the top of their priority list yet. But I disagree that there is anything already in place that would ease their ability to put even the most rudimentary build save system into place.

If we limit it to just traits rather than a full build a big chunk of the system does exist. It's used for the PvP default builds. That is basically "load build".

> @"MeTx.6712" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > ArcDPS has a (permitted by Chris) Build Template feature, which will allow you to save, and quickly switch, builds. It isn't built in, but it is available and effective.

>

> I don't want to use third party tools :confused:

>

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Zelanard.5806" said:

> > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > I am all for build saving but your problem is a completely different issue that would not be solved by such a feature. If you can accidentally change your traits what is there to stop you from accidentally forgetting to save?

> > >

> > > The issue is that when you select a different specialization, when you go back to the old one, you have to set all the traits in it, instead of them being saved on the specialization... It's not about accidental changes...

> >

> > To be fair, this thread IS about accidental changes, as mentioned in the OP.

> >

> > When you say, "set all the traits," you are describing three mouse clicks. Presets would require at least one, and likely 2. So a net savings of one mouse click.

> >

> > I too want build templates, have since launch. But we are talking about one mouse click when someone, somehow (?), accidentally changes a trait here.

> >

> >

>

> The thing is I don't remember all traits and where they are placed, so I have to re-read all the traits whenever I switch, and forget them easily because I change them so quickly.

>

> Now, in my mind, the system is ALREADY IN PLACE! When you log out and in, the traits are naturally saved for use. ANet is actively resetting them when we change them in the traits panel. Really annoying...

>

>

Anet is not resetting them, we are.

Again, though, I would be delighted to see a build template system implemented.

@Ashen and @JDup:

If I log in to GW2 on a different PC, my individual traits are still there, so obviously they're "saved" online. And by saved, I mean as part of your entire character, yes.

However, Anet developed the system so that when you replace a trait line, it RESETS the selected traits of that line. I do not see why, as part of your "saved character", your unselected trait lines will still retain their individual traits. Do you follow?

I do not see why Im getting so flagged for this, this has been a requested feature since launch. I do not even want a full system like in GW1, JUST that the individual traits for each trait line is remembered and NOT reset when switching traitlines.

GW2 now has multiple game modes in PvE: Dungeons, Raids, Fractals, general pve, and many more unofficial modes (farming, running). And I feel I am spending a lot of times switching around traits depending on the game mode I am playing. Do I remember if that one trait that reduces fall damage is 1, 2 or 3? No... So I read through all of them before selecting them. Very time consuming, and experimenting with builds has become a chore...

> @"MeTx.6712" said:

> @Ashen and @JDup:

> If I log in to GW2 on a different PC, my individual traits are still there, so obviously they're "saved" online. And by saved, I mean as part of your entire character, yes.

> However, Anet developed the system so that when you replace a trait line, it RESETS the selected traits of that line. I do not see why, as part of your "saved character", your unselected trait lines will still retain their individual traits. Do you follow?

I'm certain they, like everyone else, does. Do you follow that there is no current system to save "the selected trains in an unselected trait line"?

That is, GW2 does not save "in 'honor' you selected 112, in 'tactics' you selected 321" and so forth for all six trait lines you can have. It stores "in trait slot one you selected honor, and 112", and so on, for the three trait selections.

> I do not see why Im getting so flagged for this, this has been a requested feature since launch. I do not even want a full system like in GW1, JUST that the individual traits for each trait line is remembered and NOT reset when switching traitlines.

People are not disagreeing that better build handling would be nice. They are trying very hard to explain to you why your statement that this "already exists" isn't as obviously correct as you think.

Sorry, okay maybe a "system" is a bit of an overstatement. What I mean is just that upon selecting a new traitline, it is saved in what I assume in a database of "character-sheets", if you will. If this was not in place, your traits would be reset when you log out, but that is not the case. Do you follow? GW2 stores your selected/used traits in their database of characters.

Now if ANet extended this character-sheet-database to also remember the 123 of each UNNUSED traitline, I would be very happy!

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> I am all for build saving but your problem is a completely different issue that would not be solved by such a feature. If you can accidentally change your traits what is there to stop you from accidentally forgetting to save?

That isn't what he's suggesting.

The game just needs to automatically remember trait assignments when swapping traitlines around. It's that simple, and the game definitely needs it. It's too cumbersome to rearrange your build because of retraiting lines resetting your trait assignments unnecessarily. The problem is made worse if you play multiple classes.

In addition to the traits, I also hate that you have your weapon slots locked if you swap game mode with a different specialization.

I play the daredavil in PvE with a staff, but in WvW I play Deadeye with a rifle: every time I change game mode for my dailies, I must remember to swap the weapons before entering WvW AND before leaving it.

> @"Urud.4925" said:

> In addition to the traits, I also hate that you have your weapon slots locked if you swap game mode with a different specialization.

> I play the daredavil in PvE with a staff, but in WvW I play Deadeye with a rifle: every time I change game mode for my dailies, I must remember to swap the weapons before entering WvW AND before leaving it.

I've never had a problem with being locked out of switching. I'm Druid in WvW and SB in PvE, if I have my staff equipped in WvW and exit, my skills are removed but I can easily just swap out my staff for a greatsword.