Ka-Braham

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> I got 3 laughs on this episode:

> One was Tenrat, the other was Canach whistling, the other was Ka-Brahm!

> Am i getting old?

No :P Canach's whistling was a great touch to that part of the story.

I'd go so far as to say Braham spelling Epidemic, before the kah-Braham outburst was also funny.

I'll have to listen for the whistling on my next run through. I was having real audio issues with almost all of the voices severely muted. Oddly in the first part I could hear the judge just fine, but Taimi and Gorrik and the (male human) Commander seemed very far away even with NPC dialogue cranked way up. This persisted through the various instances. So I had no idea Canach was whistling.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > I got 3 laughs on this episode:

> > One was Tenrat, the other was Canach whistling, the other was Ka-Brahm!

> > Am i getting old?

>

> No :P Canach's whistling was a great touch to that part of the story.

> I'd go so far as to say Braham spelling Epidemic, before the kah-Braham outburst was also funny.

I'm more a fan of the, "Joko's right commander, You're a terrible person" line myself but i'm ultimately glad that they've managed to properly redeem Braham as a character again. Not that the atmosphere is perfect, but that's to be expected when you have a collective of ego's all of them accomplished in their own rights working for what they believe in.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"perilisk.1874" said: So, which writer came up with that delayed payoff Joko/Braham gag in Be My Guest? I think that was my favorite part of the episode.

I don't remember the authorship of that line. Neil Pollner was the lead writer on the episode, but nearly everyone on the narrative team had some hand in that chapter in particular. Taylor Southerland, the designer on that instance, also contributed lots of great dialogue ideas. I think Canach's whistling was Taylor's idea.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> I'm more a fan of the, "Joko's right commander, You're a terrible person" line myself but i'm ultimately glad that they've managed to properly redeem Braham as a character again.

I'm happy that you think he's redeemed. From my perspective he's moving in that direction, but he's still got some work to do. :-)

> @"Jessica Price.1649" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > I'm more a fan of the, "Joko's right commander, You're a terrible person" line myself but i'm ultimately glad that they've managed to properly redeem Braham as a character again.

>

> I'm happy that you think he's redeemed. From my perspective he's moving in that direction, but he's still got some work to do. :-)

>

I agree there's still more to do, but as far as the series of small steps goes for episodes 1 & 2, episode 3 was a large leap forward and i want to see what's in store next for him.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> So, which writer came up with that delayed payoff Joko/Braham gag in Be My Guest? I think that was my favorite part of the episode.

Neil Pollner was the main story writer for Ep 3. Armand Constantine and I maintain the overall storyline and tone, and Tom Abernathy as the narrative director oversees and approves and does a polish pass on everything.

But this episode especially marked the development of our writers' room, which up until this point had been mainly Tom doing live polishes while the writers sat in to watch. Tom really opened it up to become a collaboration rather than a masterclass, and the results were pretty great. There are very few lines in Ep 3 that weren't touched by multiple people. (Tom's described a lot of the comedy as being like katamari--one person would throw out a line and everyone would start going around adding to or reworking it.)

A lot of the comedic impetus came from Samantha Wallschlaeger (if a line stabs you right in the feels, she also probably had something to do with it). Lily Yu had just joined the team at this point, and was the one who wrote a lot of great Joko dialogue that set the tone and mood. They were so good at both the humor and the right-in-the-feels stuff that they're doing the main story writing for Ep 4.

Peter Fries and Alex Kain both have amazing comedy chops and were often the ones who floored the gas pedal on humor.

Linsey Murdock, our primary liaison with design, is one of the primary tastemakers/(in)sanity checks outside of our team, since she has an exquisitely calibrated sense for this stuff. We like to have her in the room whenever she can spare the time--if we can make her laugh, or give her goosebumps, or make her tear up, we know we've got good stuff.

So the answer is: I don't remember who planted the seed of that line, but I can tell you that multiple people watered it.

• ArenaNet Staff

Neil Pollner asked me from the East Coast to share the following insights about Be My Guest:

“The “Ka-Braham!” at the end of the epidemic line was adlibbed in the sound booth by Sam Riegel. As far as the E-P-I-D-E-M-I-C line itself, I wrote the Joko set-up and the Braham punchline for that. Taylor was the genius who came to me and said that Braham has to say “Praise Joko” after Aurene eats him.”

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > @"Jessica Price.1649" said:

> > > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > I'm more a fan of the, "Joko's right commander, You're a terrible person" line myself but i'm ultimately glad that they've managed to properly redeem Braham as a character again.

> >

> > I'm happy that you think he's redeemed. From my perspective he's moving in that direction, but he's still got some work to do. :-)

> >

>

> I agree there's still more to do, but as far as the series of small steps goes for episodes 1 & 2, episode 3 was a large leap forward and i want to see what's in store next for him.

Im not aware there is anything to redeem. He threw a bit of a tantrum after his mother died and grief sent on him off to kill his race’s biggest enemy, which he didnt get to do anyway. He has apologised since, so that is it.

Braham is one of the more interesting characters because he generated genuine emotions in terms of both anger and sympathy from the playerbase and all the time reacted in the right character for him, his age, his situation and his race. I have no issues in pursuing more of his story.

Combined with Rox and her slow integration towards her new charr friends, Dragons Watch is one of the few things they are getting right at the moment.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> No :P Canach's whistling was a great touch to that part of the story.

I thought the best "finishing touch" to the whistling was my (human female) Commander losing her rag at Canach because he was just messing around and not actually getting on with the mission. (In front of the gate, just before discovering the next bit.)

>! **Cleopatra Aegyptus**: JUST BLOW THE DAMN GATE, CANACH!

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > No :P Canach's whistling was a great touch to that part of the story.

>

> I thought the best "finishing touch" to the whistling was my (human female) Commander losing her rag at Canach because he was just messing around and not actually getting on with the mission. (In front of the gate, just before discovering the next bit.)

>

> >! **Cleopatra Aegyptus**: JUST BLOW THE kitten GATE, CANACH!

Canach was just showing his tactical prowess by ensuring the current situation is under control before attempting to introduce new elements into the situation by expanding the potential conflict area. My commander's cheesy reaper build tends to want to leash everything in the area, and face tank stuff while doing AOE damage. She doesn't really understand the Idea of taking things on on at a time. Good thing Canach is there, he ensured all possible attention could have been paid attention to what was on the other side of the door, and that turned out to be quite important.

I don't know about Braham...part of me still wants to slap him every time he opens his mouth...but I love Canach. His snarkiness, his coolness under pressure, his interplay with the Commander and the other characters...it's pure gold. He's definitely redeemed in my eyes.

> @"PseudoNewb.5468" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > No :P Canach's whistling was a great touch to that part of the story.

> >

> > I thought the best "finishing touch" to the whistling was my (human female) Commander losing her rag at Canach because he was just messing around and not actually getting on with the mission. (In front of the gate, just before discovering the next bit.)

> >

> > >! **Cleopatra Aegyptus**: JUST BLOW THE kitten GATE, CANACH!

>

> Canach was just showing his tactical prowess by ensuring the current situation is under control before attempting to introduce new elements into the situation by expanding the potential conflict area. My commander's cheesy reaper build tends to want to leash everything in the area, and face tank stuff while doing AOE damage. She doesn't really understand the Idea of taking things on on at a time. Good thing Canach is there, he ensured all possible attention could have been paid attention to what was on the other side of the door, and that turned out to be quite important.

That's a fair point. I'm amused that the forums decided to kittenise a word quoted from the game.

Well, Joko literally defines Braham about him being a big stupid idiot norn, :lol: :lol: Which is true, :D

I loved Joko's snass and insults in this episode, even at the laser trap part in Gandara he was like ''_ohhh my god, are you literally doing this on purpose :expressionless: ?_''

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> Well, Joko literally defines Braham about him being a big stupid idiot norn, :lol: :lol: Which is true, :D

> I loved Joko's snass and insults in this episode, even at the laser trap part in Gandara he was like ''_ohhh my god, are you literally doing this on purpose :expressionless: ?_''

The line that killed me was right after that where Joko proclaimed “you’re a COMPLETIONIST!”

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Im not aware there is anything to redeem. He threw a bit of a tantrum after his mother died and grief sent on him off to kill his race’s biggest enemy, which he didnt get to do anyway. He has apologised since, so that is it.

>

> Braham is one of the more interesting characters because he generated genuine emotions in terms of both anger and sympathy from the playerbase and all the time reacted in the right character for him, his age, his situation and his race. I have no issues in pursuing more of his story.

>

> Combined with Rox and her slow integration towards her new charr friends, Dragons Watch is one of the few things they are getting right at the moment.

Not to me. He is a thorn in my side every episode. This would be fine for a villain/antagonist. However, it is not good for a companion the pc is supposed to like and one without dialogue choices (part of the frustration is the pc saying the opposite of what I would like her to say to him).

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > @"Jessica Price.1649" said:

> > > > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > > I'm more a fan of the, "Joko's right commander, You're a terrible person" line myself but i'm ultimately glad that they've managed to properly redeem Braham as a character again.

> > >

> > > I'm happy that you think he's redeemed. From my perspective he's moving in that direction, but he's still got some work to do. :-)

> > >

> >

> > I agree there's still more to do, but as far as the series of small steps goes for episodes 1 & 2, episode 3 was a large leap forward and i want to see what's in store next for him.

>

> Im not aware there is anything to redeem. He threw a bit of a tantrum after his mother died and grief sent on him off to kill his race’s biggest enemy, which he didnt get to do anyway. He has apologised since, so that is it.

>

> Braham is one of the more interesting characters because he generated genuine emotions in terms of both anger and sympathy from the playerbase and all the time reacted in the right character for him, his age, his situation and his race. I have no issues in pursuing more of his story.

>

> Combined with Rox and her slow integration towards her new charr friends, Dragons Watch is one of the few things they are getting right at the moment.

You might not have picked up on it, but he kinda burned more than a few bridges with his choices. Nearly completely lead the Norn populace to death and still harbors a bit of a personal grudge toward the commander for their actions.

His personal redemption is in the fact that he's slowly becoming aware that he is not all that different from the commander as far as leaping in without thinking of others or consequence. The fact that he can now empathize, even if through joke is slowly redeeming him as more than just a ball of angst out to be a lone wolf.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> I haven't played the chapter twice, but part of me thinks it might have been neat if Braham actually didn't spell Epidemic right, like Homer spelling SMRT.

I actually considered that, but decided it would be a bit too one-note. We’re actively trying to make our characters more well-rounded and complex. I will say, in my mind, Braham is quietly puzzling out how to spell it during every lull in the Gandara proceedings. “You go disarm the traps, Commander, I’ll cover you.” (now think, Braham, is it “ic”, “ik” or “ick”?) ?