Anet Devs are Racist?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > @"Epiphany.7125" said:

> > I'm reporting this thread. Mostly for the remarkable level of willful stupidity and ignorance that it represents. There was a time hard-core gamers tended to be on the well-educated side of the ignorance fence - not so anymore.

>

> Nevermind that gamers used to understand the concept of "research". Citing a tweet out of context is the equivalent of "discovering" a build on the meta-site du jour.

Yeah, I blame the culture of privilege that a bunch of these folks spend their lives immersed in. If you grow up being told that you are amazingly smart, and all your ideas are hugely valuable, it can be a shock when you run into a world where they just ... are not that impressive.

Different people respond in different ways. I looked at it, and worked out that a good life goal was to work hard to always be the dumbest guy in the room -- not by being deliberately foolish, of course, but rather by always trying to work with people smarter than me, because that is the best way to learn, and to improve.

Others ... well, they retreat into the assumption harder, and assume that anything they say is an amazing insight. You don't even have to scratch the surface of the forums to find people insisting that this or that is the solution to balance problems, or PvP MMR, or whatever, when it is the most obvious idea in the world.

Sad, really.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"tizodd.8310" said:

> > In all honesty, I don't see what's racist about her post.

>

> Ok, Xenophobic then? F*** Spain?

Seems like she's saying historic Spain is largely responsible for the idea of "whiteness". The "_f*** you, Spain_" is more a euphemism than anything else. It's like talking to a buddy and saying "_f*** you, Bob_", because Bob did/said something dumb. You don't hate Bob...it's really more of a joking "_f*** you_".

It's also important to remember the post was one of many...taken out of context.

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > @"Epiphany.7125" said:

> > I'm reporting this thread. Mostly for the remarkable level of willful stupidity and ignorance that it represents. There was a time hard-core gamers tended to be on the well-educated side of the ignorance fence - not so anymore.

>

> Nevermind that gamers used to understand the concept of "research". Citing a tweet out of context is the equivalent of "discovering" a build on the meta-site du jour.

You won this thread, sir. Hats off to you.

> @"glass.3245" said:

> To be fair there is a LOT of context needed to that tweet, she was talking about the derogatory term "casta" that originated in mid 16th century Spain, which she believes (fairly arbitrarily, but we're not here to discuss that) marked the start of modern xenophobia.

Context is secondary to torches and pitchforks. The mob requires only that everyone be angry. They need not know why.

> @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > And you couldn't have added this to one of the other numerous threads because . . . ?

> > >

> > > No other thread is highlighting the disgusting racism. Are you attempting erasure of a POC voice?

> >

> > 1. I don't think you read her post correctly, if you're trying to say that it is calling POC inferior. Might want to read it again.

> > 2. Every other thread about her is still about her. It could have still gone there.

>

> The other threads are asking about sexism at Anet. This thread is asking about racism at Anet.

There is no need to separate hate and stupidity when the focus and goal are the same. Who cares if you post something about this bigot also being racist on top of sexist in the same thread. You're splitting hairs than need no seperation.

> @"Tolmos.8395" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > > > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > > > > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > > > > And you couldn't have added this to one of the other numerous threads because . . . ?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No other thread is highlighting the disgusting racism. Are you attempting erasure of a POC voice?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 1. I don't think you read her post correctly, if you're trying to say that it is calling POC inferior. Might want to read it again.

> > > > > > 2. Every other thread about her is still about her. It could have still gone there.

> > > > >

> > > > > The other threads are asking about sexism at Anet. This thread is asking about racism at Anet.

> > > >

> > > > No, your thread is about Jessica Price, just like all the other ones that already existed before you made this one. This one, the main one with 7+ pages, the one that was closed last night, and the other three or four I've seen posted in between those. I don't disagree that she has repeatedly said things that should not be said, especially by someone representing Anet in her Twitter description. But the forum spam is getting old.

> > >

> > > No, racism is a different crime from sexism. I would like to know what Anet thinks about racism. I can read the other topic for sexism. This one is about racism and what Anet is going to do about it.

> >

> > Racism and sexism are not necessarily crimes.

> >

> > This thread starts off by implying that multiple devs are racist. Not one individual, an attempt to paint all devs with one broad brush stroke in order to garner a reaction. It goes too far.

> >

> > The overall topic of the one specific dev's social views as shared on social media exists. There was no need to add to the forum spam IMO.

>

> This is why it is very important for Arenanet to quickly and loudly denounce such behavior in a public manner. Failure to do so speaks volumes about their stance

If thats the case I see a lot of players that should be banned from the game for the bullying and harassment that goes on in game

> @"melodyca.8921" said:

> > @"Tolmos.8395" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > > > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > > > > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > > > > > And you couldn't have added this to one of the other numerous threads because . . . ?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > No other thread is highlighting the disgusting racism. Are you attempting erasure of a POC voice?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > 1. I don't think you read her post correctly, if you're trying to say that it is calling POC inferior. Might want to read it again.

> > > > > > > 2. Every other thread about her is still about her. It could have still gone there.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The other threads are asking about sexism at Anet. This thread is asking about racism at Anet.

> > > > >

> > > > > No, your thread is about Jessica Price, just like all the other ones that already existed before you made this one. This one, the main one with 7+ pages, the one that was closed last night, and the other three or four I've seen posted in between those. I don't disagree that she has repeatedly said things that should not be said, especially by someone representing Anet in her Twitter description. But the forum spam is getting old.

> > > >

> > > > No, racism is a different crime from sexism. I would like to know what Anet thinks about racism. I can read the other topic for sexism. This one is about racism and what Anet is going to do about it.

> > >

> > > Racism and sexism are not necessarily crimes.

> > >

> > > This thread starts off by implying that multiple devs are racist. Not one individual, an attempt to paint all devs with one broad brush stroke in order to garner a reaction. It goes too far.

> > >

> > > The overall topic of the one specific dev's social views as shared on social media exists. There was no need to add to the forum spam IMO.

> >

> > This is why it is very important for Arenanet to quickly and loudly denounce such behavior in a public manner. Failure to do so speaks volumes about their stance

>

> If thats the case I see a lot of players that should be banned from the game for the bullying and harassment that goes on in game

Of course, and sometimes they are.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Tolmos.8395" said:

> > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > > > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > > > > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > And you couldn't have added this to one of the other numerous threads because . . . ?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > No other thread is highlighting the disgusting racism. Are you attempting erasure of a POC voice?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > 1. I don't think you read her post correctly, if you're trying to say that it is calling POC inferior. Might want to read it again.

> > > > > > > > > 2. Every other thread about her is still about her. It could have still gone there.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The other threads are asking about sexism at Anet. This thread is asking about racism at Anet.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No, your thread is about Jessica Price, just like all the other ones that already existed before you made this one. This one, the main one with 7+ pages, the one that was closed last night, and the other three or four I've seen posted in between those. I don't disagree that she has repeatedly said things that should not be said, especially by someone representing Anet in her Twitter description. But the forum spam is getting old.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No, racism is a different crime from sexism. I would like to know what Anet thinks about racism. I can read the other topic for sexism. This one is about racism and what Anet is going to do about it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Racism and sexism are not necessarily crimes.

> > > > >

> > > > > This thread starts off by implying that multiple devs are racist. Not one individual, an attempt to paint all devs with one broad brush stroke in order to garner a reaction. It goes too far.

> > > > >

> > > > > The overall topic of the one specific dev's social views as shared on social media exists. There was no need to add to the forum spam IMO.

> > > >

> > > > This is why it is very important for Arenanet to quickly and loudly denounce such behavior in a public manner. Failure to do so speaks volumes about their stance

> > >

> > > This is not relevant to the point I made. Even if company management, or their lawyers, decide to not make a public denouncement there is no justification for implying that the individual employees of the company are racists.

> >

> > Guilty by association.

> > If Anet allows it, we know their stance and by proxy the stance of other devs.

>

> Afraid I have to disagree. Accusing individual employees of a company of something because another employee might have engaged in that behavior is ludicrous.

>

>

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkxtXu3F_cw/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1gz7l1mge4x8d

This seem to be even more relevant.