[Unpopular opinion] Blish should't exist!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > @"Robj.6815" said:

> > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

> > >

> > > So....no medical treatment allowed?

> >

> > To conserve your body? Sure.

> > To conserve your, "Soul" in another vessel? No!

>

> Too bad souls do not exist, living beings are just organic machines. Thus turning an organic machine into an anorganic machine is entirely ethical.

I mean, souls 100% exist in Tyria. The Mists could not exist without that being a verifiable fact.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> But somehow a whole artificial body seems very different. Maybe because then we're into Ghost in the Shell territory* of wondering how you can know you're a person in an artificial body and not a machine programmed to know that persons memories and act like they did.

Consider the original Blade Runner, too. Is Deckard a replicant? Are his memories real?

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

It's only unethical if that person did **not** want to be fused and it's done by force (like the inquest often does).

But that's not the case with Blish, he wanted it since he was dying from a terminal illness anyway.

The same thing will probably happen to Taimi, though I hope they find some other way to save her.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

>

> I think that's the point. It is _supposed_ to make us feel uncomfortable. And personally, I believe this could be the prelude to an equally unpleasant storyline for Taimi. Think Robocop or Darth Vader. ;)

just an FYI but, darth vader isn't a cyborg nor driven by computer codes, all he has is mechanical limbs and a way to keep breathing.

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > @"Robj.6815" said:

> > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

> > > >

> > > > So....no medical treatment allowed?

> > >

> > > To conserve your body? Sure.

> > > To conserve your, "Soul" in another vessel? No!

> >

> > Too bad souls do not exist, living beings are just organic machines. Thus turning an organic machine into an anorganic machine is entirely ethical.

>

> I mean, souls 100% exist in Tyria. The Mists could not exist without that being a verifiable fact.

But even if you view it in lore, Blish was not forced to become a golem, it was his "choice"? I can't see any ethical problems when a procedure is done with the consent of the receiver.

To be honest, when they were introduced, I had a strong feeling Blish would disappear. He was just there, that's it. It was Gorrik that Taimi found in A Bug in the System and again, it was Gorrik who played a large part in the plot. Blish didn't really add anything. He felt like a convenient plot device to give Taimi an idea to extend her life.

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

Why? Serious question. If your physical body no longer supports you and your conscious can be moved to a new body, why not?! Also, how is it unethical? You literally do not hurt anyone and benefit yourself and people who care about you.

We humans surely do so if we can. No one wants to die.. or at least not live as long as possible.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > @"Robj.6815" said:

> > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

> > >

> > > So....no medical treatment allowed?

> >

> > To conserve your body? Sure.

> > To conserve your, "Soul" in another vessel? No!

>

> Too bad souls do not exist, living beings are just organic machines. Thus turning an organic machine into an anorganic machine is entirely ethical.

I don't want to dig into astract philosophical/religious aspects but comparing a living being to just an "organic machine" is totally reductive to me, there must be a thing (call it soul or whatever you want) to identify ourselves.

> @"otto.5684" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

>

> Why? Serious question. If your physical body no longer supports you and your conscious can be moved to a new body, why not?! Also, how is it unethical? You literally do not hurt anyone and benefit yourself and people who care about you.

>

> We humans surely do so if we can. No one wants to die.. or at least not live as long as possible.

I can't express a reason in logical terms, I just **feel** it as wrong to move our consciousness in another body.

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> I don't want to dig into astract philosophical/religious aspects but comparing a living being to just an "organic machine" is totally reductive to me, there must be a thing (call it soul or whatever you want) to identify ourselves.

Not really. This need you see for a soul is a personal feeling or idea, but there is nothing that actually indicates there is a soul and the more we learn in science about the human body and mind, the less there is a need for it. It might not be what you like it to be, but that doesn't mean there has to be a soul.

> I can't express a reason in logical terms, I just **feel** it as wrong to move our consciousness in another body.

Well you can't express it in logical terms because there is nothing logical or scientific that supports the idea of the soul. Just a collective wish and belief that there is such a thing. You are free to believe such a thing, but then our lives are built up out of many illusions. It's how we make life more bearable I guess. The reality can be beautiful but also terribly frightening.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > I don't want to dig into astract philosophical/religious aspects but comparing a living being to just an "organic machine" is totally reductive to me, there must be a thing (call it soul or whatever you want) to identify ourselves.

> Not really. This need you see for a soul is a personal feeling or idea, but there is nothing that actually indicates there is a soul and the more we learn in science about the human body and mind, the less there is a need for it. It might not be what you like it to be, but that doesn't mean there has to be a soul.

> > I can't express a reason in logical terms, I just **feel** it as wrong to move our consciousness in another body.

> Well you can't express it in logical terms because there is nothing logical or scientific that supports the idea of the soul. Just a collective wish and belief that there is such a thing. You are free to believe such a thing, but then our lives are built up out of many illusions. It's how we make life more bearable I guess. The reality can be beautiful but also terribly frightening.

>

Indeed you really are right, I never said it was the truth, it is my truth. Nor I made this thread to convince you guys, feel free to have different opinions.

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > I don't want to dig into astract philosophical/religious aspects but comparing a living being to just an "organic machine" is totally reductive to me, there must be a thing (call it soul or whatever you want) to identify ourselves.

> > Not really. This need you see for a soul is a personal feeling or idea, but there is nothing that actually indicates there is a soul and the more we learn in science about the human body and mind, the less there is a need for it. It might not be what you like it to be, but that doesn't mean there has to be a soul.

> > > I can't express a reason in logical terms, I just **feel** it as wrong to move our consciousness in another body.

> > Well you can't express it in logical terms because there is nothing logical or scientific that supports the idea of the soul. Just a collective wish and belief that there is such a thing. You are free to believe such a thing, but then our lives are built up out of many illusions. It's how we make life more bearable I guess. The reality can be beautiful but also terribly frightening.

> >

>

> Indeed you really are right, I never said it was the truth, it is my truth. Nor I made this thread to convince you guys, feel free to have different opinions.

And that's perfectly fine, but I'm glad you see it as a personal truth. :)

So out of curiosity, how do you feel about transplantations then where people effectively get an organ from another person? I just wonder how that fits within your views.

Merging people into golems was already dealth with in the Asura Dynamics storyline. If you want to see the Inquest doing Inquesty things, that's a good one. It was even full of Robocop references.

TBH I didn't find it disturbing, I found it boring. Having Blish show up in the last episode with no fanfare and almost no commentary (other then worrying about how Taimi would respond) made it seem like a throwaway plot thread in comparison. There's so much chance for character development and he just pops up out of nowhere and oh BTW he's a golem. Meh. [Doxa ](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Doxa "Doxa ")had it worse.

Weird how people in this thread conflate cybernetic prosthetics/implants or even full blown cyborgs to whatever you'd identify what Blish was. So much "what about"-isms for things that aren't truly comparable to a personality or even a soul transferred into a wholly separate inorganic shell. Well, at least with Blish there's the probability that as Asura made use of magic based technology his very soul may have been transferred into the golem, as opposed to just some copy of his brain scans or some such.

> @"Opal.9324" said:

> I've always found stuff like this to be more fascinating than disturbing. To be honest, if I had the option to trade my crappy organic body for a cool mechanical one, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

But would you really ?

How do you feel about oil changes and never enjoying food again because science can't replicate tastebuds ? How would you cope with the loss of all those around you while you're incapable of it (in the traditional sense) ?

I get what you mean though all these concepts for me are what make sci-fi great especially when they are used as a medium for advancing a character or story.