Mystic Coins

> @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> Are people seriously wasting coins to make clovers? *mind-boggling*

I dont do WvW or pvp often enough to rely on those game modes for clovers, nor will i ever. I do WvW enough to get my GoB required for the legendary and then stop.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Are people seriously wasting coins to make clovers? *mind-boggling*

Some of us don't like the content that gives out the clovers. I always do it before I finish getting the T6 mats so that when the recipe "fails" and gives me some T6 mats, it's mats I don't have to buy.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > Are people seriously wasting coins to make clovers? *mind-boggling*

>

> I dont do WvW or pvp often enough to rely on those game modes for clovers, nor will i ever. I do WvW enough to get my GoB required for the legendary and then stop.

Well theres your problem. Stopping gives you less clovers.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > > Are people seriously wasting coins to make clovers? *mind-boggling*

> >

> > I dont do WvW or pvp often enough to rely on those game modes for clovers, nor will i ever. I do WvW enough to get my GoB required for the legendary and then stop.

>

> Well theres your problem. Stopping gives you less clovers.

And doing WvW/PVP for longer than i need to makes me hate the game.

My point still stands.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > > > Are people seriously wasting coins to make clovers? *mind-boggling*

> > >

> > > I dont do WvW or pvp often enough to rely on those game modes for clovers, nor will i ever. I do WvW enough to get my GoB required for the legendary and then stop.

> >

> > Well theres your problem. Stopping gives you less clovers.

>

> And doing WvW/PVP for longer than i need to makes me hate the game.

>

> My point still stands.

Thats just being stubborn. I was the same way once back when World Complete still needed all the Mist war POIs. I had to learn the game mode just to navigate it, and in doing so started having this thing people call "fun". And then I started interacting with "other players", and realized "dying" was not a game breaking happen stance, and I started working in a team, and got better at buildcraft, and learned how to exploit badges for discounts, then later the reward tracks, and even learned important life skills such as "not standing in AOE circles" and "pressing the dodge key".

WvW taught me an important life lesson..... the bubble is the enemy. Its seduces you with the sense of safety and comfort, but it also makes the most trivial tasks nigh insurmountable. At its worst, its no different then any other farm where you run around and just tag stuff. And like farming, using a competent build makes you farm better. The only tangible difference between the 2 is what you're farming- and thats basically not much of a difference once you learn how to read a fight.

But since its makes you uncomfortable, I guess theres nothing worth doing about it.

The smart money is wait for a sale, buy an extra account, use it for log in rewards. It's better in a lot of ways that just spending money on gems. It means 20 mystic coins a month plus the occassion mystic forge daily and laurels for T6 mats. A couple of extra accounts also can do wonders for stuff you want to store. Sometimes the games go on sale really cheap. I've gotten some for $10 and some for $15. And all I have to do is log into them.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > > > > Are people seriously wasting coins to make clovers? *mind-boggling*

> > > >

> > > > I dont do WvW or pvp often enough to rely on those game modes for clovers, nor will i ever. I do WvW enough to get my GoB required for the legendary and then stop.

> > >

> > > Well theres your problem. Stopping gives you less clovers.

> >

> > And doing WvW/PVP for longer than i need to makes me hate the game.

> >

> > My point still stands.

>

> Thats just being stubborn. I was the same way once back when World Complete still needed all the Mist war POIs. I had to learn the game mode just to navigate it, and in doing so started having this thing people call "fun". And then I started interacting with "other players", and realized "dying" was not a game breaking happen stance, and I started working in a team, and got better at buildcraft, and learned how to exploit badges for discounts, then later the reward tracks, and even learned important life skills such as "not standing in AOE circles" and "pressing the dodge key".

>

> WvW taught me an important life lesson..... the bubble is the enemy. Its seduces you with the sense of safety and comfort, but it also makes the most trivial tasks nigh insurmountable. At its worst, its no different then any other farm where you run around and just tag stuff. And like farming, using a competent build makes you farm better. The only tangible difference between the 2 is what you're farming- and thats basically not much of a difference once you learn how to read a fight.

>

> But since its makes you uncomfortable, I guess theres nothing worth doing about it.

I remember those days the one and only character of mine that has WvW mapped is my guardian because i needed a gift of exploration for my first legendary, it was awful and im glad they changed it.

also it doenst make me uncomfortable, im actually pretty decent at WvW often winning 1v1 and 1v2 fights on my terrible build i run on my ranger(at least im fairly certain its not meta cause i never bothered setting her up for WvW.) I just dont enjoy PVP of any kind in this game. Thats coming from someone who played nearly 30000 matches in WoT, and i did PVP, GVG and the lesser PVP modes in GW1. So i enjoy playing against other players, just not here, i have issues when i can get pretty much(Or completely) instantly killed from stealth with no counterplay, or fight classes that are invulnerable for portions or the entirety of a fight. Sure i could probably get better, but i see no point nor would i if they increased the rewards.

the supply of Mystic Coins had been an issue for yonks

even though Anet had added extra methods of obtaining Mystic Coins, but the additional items added for the past 2 years far outstripped the supplies and nullified the effects the additional methods obtaining the coins.

https://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19976

Peak = September 2017 @ 1 Gold 40 Silver 97 Copper

August 2015 = 13 Silver 10 Copper

August 2016 = 72 Silver 47 Copper

August 2017 = 1 Gold 29 Silver 36 Copper

August 2018 = 1 Gold 16 Silver 43 Copper

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> the supply of Mystic Coins had been an issue for yonks

>

> even though Anet had added extra methods of obtaining Mystic Coins, but the additional items added for the past 2 years far outstripped the supplies and nullified the effects the additional methods obtaining the coins.

>

> https://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19976

> Peak = September 2017 @ 1 Gold 40 Silver 97 Copper

> August 2015 = 13 Silver 10 Copper

> August 2016 = 72 Silver 47 Copper

> August 2017 = 1 Gold 29 Silver 36 Copper

> August 2018 = 1 Gold 16 Silver 43 Copper

The price increase was intended.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > the supply of Mystic Coins had been an issue for yonks

> >

> > even though Anet had added extra methods of obtaining Mystic Coins, but the additional items added for the past 2 years far outstripped the supplies and nullified the effects the additional methods obtaining the coins.

> >

> > https://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19976

> > Peak = September 2017 @ 1 Gold 40 Silver 97 Copper

> > August 2015 = 13 Silver 10 Copper

> > August 2016 = 72 Silver 47 Copper

> > August 2017 = 1 Gold 29 Silver 36 Copper

> > August 2018 = 1 Gold 16 Silver 43 Copper

>

> The price increase was intended.

Not really, it's driven by the Supply Demand of players and Market Flippers, Anet have no real control over player behaviours

Chris Cleary made the comment back in 2016

> Most of this price increase revolves around players that are pushing the value up due to the players willingness to pay more. If players are willing to pay more for an item, it’s going to keep increasing until eventually it hits a ceiling for the commodity. We’ve seen the same thing occur with numerous commodities over time.

>

>Right now there is a consistent supply of mystic coins entering the game (way more than are being consumed) and churning through the trading post at a very slow rate. Most of the coins on the market are ones that have been flipped.

>

> In retrospect, this is actually causing the daily login reward to be worth significantly more to players who wish to convert mystic coins to gold.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > > the supply of Mystic Coins had been an issue for yonks

> > >

> > > even though Anet had added extra methods of obtaining Mystic Coins, but the additional items added for the past 2 years far outstripped the supplies and nullified the effects the additional methods obtaining the coins.

> > >

> > > https://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19976

> > > Peak = September 2017 @ 1 Gold 40 Silver 97 Copper

> > > August 2015 = 13 Silver 10 Copper

> > > August 2016 = 72 Silver 47 Copper

> > > August 2017 = 1 Gold 29 Silver 36 Copper

> > > August 2018 = 1 Gold 16 Silver 43 Copper

> >

> > The price increase was intended.

>

> Not really, it's driven by the Supply Demand of players and Market Flippers, Anet have no real control over player behaviours

Flippers do not set prices. In fact, they bring prices to equilibrium more quickly. Perhaps you refer to hoarders or speculators? That falls under 'demand'.

You seem to forget that ANet deliberately reduced the supply of mystic coins, which they knew would result in an increase in prices.

>

> Chris Cleary made the comment back in 2016

>

> > Most of this price increase revolves around players that are pushing the value up due to the players willingness to pay more. If players are willing to pay more for an item, it’s going to keep increasing until eventually it hits a ceiling for the commodity. We’ve seen the same thing occur with numerous commodities over time.

> >

> >Right now there is a consistent supply of mystic coins entering the game (way more than are being consumed) and churning through the trading post at a very slow rate. Most of the coins on the market are ones that have been flipped.

> >

> > In retrospect, this is actually causing the daily login reward to be worth significantly more to players who wish to convert mystic coins to gold.

>

And ANet is pleased with that. For example, [in February 2017, Mike O'Brien wrote](

)

> A note about mystic coin prices. We’re continuing to monitor them but aren’t taking any action at this time. I know the question of the moment is: why increase supply of leather but not of mystic coins? Mystic coins are a currency that all players get in small quantities and then can sell to wealthy players who want to use them to craft aspirational or luxury items. Seen in that light it’s not inherently bad for them to be expensive, nor is it unnatural for them to increase in price as wealthy players continue to accumulate more wealth. We can measure their success more in terms of their use: are they actively traded between players and actively used? And the answer to those is a resounding yes. John will fill in some details. Mystic coins are doing their job. Having said all that, there are arguments on both sides, and I don’t mean to imply that there aren’t, but there isn’t a compelling case at this time that would make us go in and change the supply or sinks.

[During the same AMA, John Smith added](

)

> Looking at total sources and sinks of mystic coins, we've reached a stable state with sources being about 10% above sinks. Trading post prices also have reached an equilibrium even in the face of multiple manipulation attempts. Still, we're going to keep an eye on them to make sure the pattern remains stable in the long run.

And he repeated that:

> ...the input into the economy and the output from the economy are sitting at a +10% state.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > Are people seriously wasting coins to make clovers? *mind-boggling*

>

> Not everyone does sPvP or WvW enough to make obtaining clovers from those reward tracks worth it. An hour or so of farming yields considerably more clovers (through coins) than 10 hours of reward tracks. Even if that turned out not to be true... one hour vs ten.

You don't need to spend anywhere near that much time in PvP or WvW to get the rewards. Just a few minutes each day doing dailies earns several Potion of PvP/WvW rewards, and within a few weeks it's easy enough to complete a reward track. Some tracks give up to 7 clovers. If you're not doing PvP/WvW dailies, you're missing out on these valuable yet nearly free rewards. I've earned well over 200 clovers by doing this, yet I have barely spent any time in those game modes.

That's why I have a very hard time understanding why players insist on wasting mystic coins to make clovers since there are easier ways to get them.

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > > Are people seriously wasting coins to make clovers? *mind-boggling*

> >

> > Not everyone does sPvP or WvW enough to make obtaining clovers from those reward tracks worth it. An hour or so of farming yields considerably more clovers (through coins) than 10 hours of reward tracks. Even if that turned out not to be true... one hour vs ten.

> You don't need to spend anywhere near that much time in PvP or WvW to get the rewards. Just a few minutes each day doing dailies earns several Potion of PvP/WvW rewards, and within a few weeks it's easy enough to complete a reward track. Some tracks give up to 7 clovers. If you're not doing PvP/WvW dailies, you're missing out on these valuable yet nearly free rewards. I've earned well over 200 clovers by doing this, yet I have barely spent any time in those game modes.

>

> That's why I have a very hard time understanding why players insist on wasting mystic coins to make clovers since there are easier ways to get them.

>

The tracks that give 7 clovers are a one time thing while the others that award them only award two. It’ll also take more than a few weeks to complete a reward track by doing just the easy dailies. I’ve been doing the same thing for the GoB and it’s always taken longer than a month.

You need 77 mystic clover so earning them by doing reward tracks would take 39 track completions. At two weeks a track, that’s 78 weeks or 1.5 years. Even longer if it takes more than two weeks. Not everyone wants to wait that long but good for you if you do.

Two mystic clovers are worth about 6 mystic coins on average. That’s about 7.2G and you can easily earn three times that much in a single hour. While reward tracks may be “free” as you’re not directly spending gold, they’re a waste of time and terribly inefficient.

A player with 10 hours of playtime will earn far more mystic clovers by farming gold to purchase coins in order to craft them than they would have obtained them from reward tracks during that period.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Quirin.1076" said:

> > Mystic Coins drop rate is a joke. They adjusted the drop rate after you needed 100's of them for Guild Halls. Oh yeah you need 250 of them to craft a new legendary, oh yeah you need 180 of them to craft certain skins in the game. Oh yeah you need at least 50 of them for most food recipes. You get one choice in the game now. If you want to take part of any of that content, you can either wait and farm "END GAME" content OR you can farm gold (AKA grind farming) to buy Mystic Coins off the TP. Oh by the way before HoT, you could not sell them on the TP. They were worth less copper on the TP than it was to vendor them. What Arena Net did was take a currency that was worthless for those who have been playing the game since launch, when they need gold they can sell them. Whoever thinks that Mystic Coins drop rate is fine is sitting on a stack of them and uses them to make gold by selling them on the TP.

> >

> > Anyone that says farming for gold to buy Mystic Coins has lost sight that this game is based on "Living Story" so maps change and content goes away. If you are farming other maps for Gold you are not playing the game, you are farming gold to give to those who have been in game since launch and sell their Mystic Coins when they need gold.

> >

> > I have been in the game for a while so I used to delete stacks of those things to free up space in my bags. My concern is that there is so much content that locked out for any new player unless they grind for gold. For New players the most you can earn in a Month - 20 maybe 21 if you know someone that plays - if you are an End Game player playing end game content - 25 to 26 if you do not work or sleep. Just Wiki the recipes that need them. lol Good Luck and I hope you enjoy farming gold.

>

> Were have you ever had a mystic coin drop?

>

> All I know are the daily login mystic forge daily and kill the big running anomaly once a day.

Mystic Coins used to drop from each Daily and Monthy. I always felt the Monthly would encourage people to work in WvW to get the 1000 kills or 100 keep captures, but it could be stretched over time. The recent event had not been updated and it was still dropping Mystic Coins.

There are more recipes that require Mystic Coins than just Legendary Weapons.

For players doing this the first time around, the unrepeatable tracks that award 7 clovers is what makes doing the PvP/WvW reward tracks much more attractive. It appears there are currently 3 of reward tracks that give 7 clovers (Verdant Brink, Auric Basin, Tangled Depths) so those would be the ones to do first. With just a few minutes in PvP/WvW each day, they could easily obtain 42 clovers (3 x 7 from PvP track versions plus 3 x 7 from WvW track versions) which is well over half the number needed for a legendary.

I feel like a lot of the arguments at least on this page seem to be a bit contradictory. People argue that coins (and clovers) are too hard to get and too limited and coins are thus too expensive. At the same time, they say they don't want to play PvP or WvW to get them for free - because they don't like the game mode and it takes too long. The argument is that it is much faster to go farm PvE for the gold - to buy the coins, to turn into clovers or just use. These are also mostly used for legendaries. It seems like there are two main options: farm PvE and gold and buy them (along with the daily track rewards), or go into WvW/PvP and get them for free but it takes longer?

Why not do both? I know some people from PvE have a huge aversion to WvW and PvP, but it's part of the game and offers rewards sometimes more cheaply. WvW/PvP players who want legendaries typically have to do a lot more PvE than visa-versa! Plus, legendaries in general are quite expensive - no? So if you need 250 coins, even buying them, it seems like it's still only a small part of the cost.

> @"Handin.4032" said:

> I feel like a lot of the arguments at least on this page seem to be a bit contradictory. People argue that coins (and clovers) are too hard to get and too limited and coins are thus too expensive. At the same time, they say they don't want to play PvP or WvW to get them for free - because they don't like the game mode and it takes too long. The argument is that it is much faster to go farm PvE for the gold - to buy the coins, to turn into clovers or just use. These are also mostly used for legendaries. It seems like there are two main options: farm PvE and gold and buy them (along with the daily track rewards), or go into WvW/PvP and get them for free but it takes longer?

>

> Why not do both? I know some people from PvE have a huge aversion to WvW and PvP, but it's part of the game and offers rewards sometimes more cheaply. WvW/PvP players who want legendaries typically have to do a lot more PvE than visa-versa! Plus, legendaries in general are quite expensive - no? So if you need 250 coins, even buying them, it seems like it's still only a small part of the cost.

You can certainly do both depending on your time table. For most PvE players though, their primary source for mystic clovers isn’t going to come from the reward tracks. The discussion about the two methods only came about when a poster expressed disappointment that people were not going the reward track route.

I suspect there are a lot of PvE players that don't realize there is an alternate method to obtaining mystic clovers. I was in that exact situation way, way back, and I never knew about all the cool stuff you can get from PvP/WvW tracks. I was also very hesitant to try those modes (especially PvP), but I eventually gave them a try. I'm so happy that I did since doing PvP/WvW dailies to advance those reward tracks have turned out to be well worth the small effort. My primary reason for doing them has been to unlock armor skins, and the clovers I've earned along the way were more of an afterthought. But it was really nice to have over 200 on hand when I decided to craft another legendary during the past year.

That's why I like to bring this up. For people trying to craft legendaries very quickly or many per year, doing reward tracks is likely not a good option. But for casual PvE players, some of whom may be struggling to get the clovers for their very first legendary, getting several of their clovers from PvP/WvW reward tracks is definitely an option to consider, and it's quite possibly an option that they are completely unware of.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Handin.4032" said:

> > I feel like a lot of the arguments at least on this page seem to be a bit contradictory. People argue that coins (and clovers) are too hard to get and too limited and coins are thus too expensive. At the same time, they say they don't want to play PvP or WvW to get them for free - because they don't like the game mode and it takes too long. The argument is that it is much faster to go farm PvE for the gold - to buy the coins, to turn into clovers or just use. These are also mostly used for legendaries. It seems like there are two main options: farm PvE and gold and buy them (along with the daily track rewards), or go into WvW/PvP and get them for free but it takes longer?

> >

> > Why not do both? I know some people from PvE have a huge aversion to WvW and PvP, but it's part of the game and offers rewards sometimes more cheaply. WvW/PvP players who want legendaries typically have to do a lot more PvE than visa-versa! Plus, legendaries in general are quite expensive - no? So if you need 250 coins, even buying them, it seems like it's still only a small part of the cost.

>

> You can certainly do both depending on your time table. For most PvE players though, their primary source for mystic clovers isn’t going to come from the reward tracks. The discussion about the two methods only came about when a poster expressed disappointment that people were not going the reward track route.

Well I guess that was the point I was trying to make. anet offers totally free, albiet slower, routes to get these things for legendaries. If you want to get them faster, you should expect to pay more. The cost of the coins (and clovers) is totally irrelevant depending on how fast you care to grind out a legendary.

I have plenty of coins, and am usually selling them, so like the system as-is. I find WvW boring (or should I say World vs. "castles-and-NPCs"), just running in a group around in circles. It's okay once in a while, but gets old fast. I do pop in for the dailies when I have time, so advance a GoB track slowly. I really despise PvP, so if I find too many people running around, I just skip it that day.

But maybe that's just me. :anguished:

> For players doing this the first time around, the unrepeatable tracks that award 7 clovers is what makes doing the PvP/WvW reward tracks much more attractive. It appears there are currently 3 of reward tracks that give 7 clovers (Verdant Brink, Auric Basin, Tangled Depths) so those would be the ones to do first. With just a few minutes in PvP/WvW each day, they could easily obtain 42 clovers (3 x 7 from PvP track versions plus 3 x 7 from WvW track versions) which is well over half the number needed for a legendary.

Each clover is on average about 3.88G. That’s roughly 299G for all 77 clovers. SW and Istan can easily net players 20G/hr which means it’ll only take about 15 hours of farming. That’s about 11.5 minutes per mystic clover.

The WvW dailies typically have two that can easily be done in an average of five minutes which provides two potions per day. It takes 80 potions to complete a reward track which means 40 days per track at about 3.33 hours spent in total over that time. That’s a rate of a clover every 28.5 minutes.

SPvP dailies take longer than five minutes so that rate will worse.

A WvW reward track can be completed within four hours with boosters which is more than it takes to do the daily route. That rate will also be worse.

I’m not sure about the sPvP reward track from playing sPvP, but it’s likely longer than everything due to the matches lasting close to 10 min on average and the queue times inbetween matches.

So yeah, obtaining mystic clovers by farming coins is the better route and also because you can use the difference in time between the other methods to spend farming additional gold to put towards the other things needed for the legendaries. This is why the OP is better off doing although that doesn’t mean they cannot supplement this with reward tracks. Not everyone needs to be efficient but I only brought this up as your were expressing disappointment that people were using the reward tracks as their primary means to acquire mystic clovers.