Tremor Armadillo skin

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/rumble-the-road-with-a-tremor-armadillo/

>

> Firstly, kudos for the skin. It's adorable and fits well with the roller beetle mount. But it looks a lot more like a Pangolin than an armadillo.

>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

I actually thought it looked almost exactly like a hedgehog. I owned 2 so far and besides being a bit spikier its a dead ringer :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> But it looks a lot more like a Pangolin than an armadillo.

True, but likewise, the so-called "Raptor" doesn't resemble [either](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_of_prey "either") [kind](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor "kind") of real-world raptor, or the [other Tyrian ones](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raptor "other Tyrian ones"). (Although consequently, I think they should have called that something else as well.)

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > I don't like the skin. I want a BEETLE, not some cutesy thingy. Hopefully, they will release beetle skins soon, with cool patterns and the proper amount of dye channels.

> I'm hoping for an updated Black Beast of Arrgh skin next. https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Black_Beast_of_Arrgh_

That would definitely be _one_ cool option. :)

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> Remember the last time ANet tried naming a mount using a word they weren't familiar with? I believe we ended up with a mount that translated into "mountain goat meat!"

What?! (lol) When was that and what was it about?

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > Remember the last time ANet tried naming a mount using a word they weren't familiar with? I believe we ended up with a mount that translated into "mountain goat meat!"

>

> What?! (lol) When was that and what was it about?

I assume they're talking about the [summit Wildhorn Springer](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summit_Wildhorn_Springer_Skin "Summit Wildhorn Springer"), which was originally called Summit Chevon.

Also, on the subject of this actually being a pangolin, here's a dev quote from [Anet-PaulS on Reddit](

"Anet-PaulS on Reddit"):

> "There was a lot of somewhat heated discussion about this internally. Eventually it was decided that most people don't know what pangolins are (apparently including Chrome's spell check), so we went with Tremor Armadillo."

Honestly, to me that seems pretty patronising...

> @"Arbonasty.6953" said:

> Oi! I like armadillo as much as the next guy, but with as underappreciated as pangolin are stateside, I am absolutely *delighted* to have a pangolin mount; Sure, change the name, but please, please, *do NOT* advocate changing it *into* an armadillo. I don't mind waiting for an actual armadillo.

>

> Great job, Anet, I'm actually happy with this one.

I'd love an armadillo skin too.

Bonus points if they use either the Screaming Hairy Armadillo or the Pink Fairy Armadillo as the basis for it. They're currently top of my list of favourite English names for animals. (And yes they're both real animals and those are their real names.) Or really anything except the nine-banded armadillo, which are very cute too but I wish more people were aware that there are other species too.

(In the unlikely event that anyone's curious my current favourite scientific name for an animal is the Sabre-toothed Tiger, or _Smilodon populator_ which translates to the extremely dramatic 'knife-tooth the destroyer'.)

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > Remember the last time ANet tried naming a mount using a word they weren't familiar with? I believe we ended up with a mount that translated into "mountain goat meat!"

> >

> > What?! (lol) When was that and what was it about?

> I assume they're talking about the [summit Wildhorn Springer](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summit_Wildhorn_Springer_Skin "Summit Wildhorn Springer"), which was originally called Summit Chevon.

I think that's the one. Chevon does mean goat, but apparently it's always used to refer to goat meat rather than the living animal. Similar to all the players who call the pig ranger pets bacon, ham or pork.

> > "There was a lot of somewhat heated discussion about this internally. Eventually it was decided that most people don't know what pangolins are (apparently including Chrome's spell check), so we went with Tremor Armadillo."

> Honestly, to me that seems pretty patronising...

Yeah. "Most people don't know what pangolins are . . . " seems like dubious reasoning for me. Especially after the whole "chevon" name thing. :p

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > I assume they're talking about the [summit Wildhorn Springer](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summit_Wildhorn_Springer_Skin "Summit Wildhorn Springer"), which was originally called Summit Chevon.

>

> I think that's the one. Chevon does mean goat

In which language? Can't be French, because "goat" in French is called "chèvre". (Oh, just googled... it's "goat meat" in English? Then how could ANet call the animal that? I'm confused.)

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > > I assume they're talking about the [summit Wildhorn Springer](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summit_Wildhorn_Springer_Skin "Summit Wildhorn Springer"), which was originally called Summit Chevon.

> >

> > I think that's the one. Chevon does mean goat

>

> In which language? Can't be French, because "goat" in French is called "chèvre". (Oh, just googled... it's "goat meat" in English? Then how could ANet call the animal that? I'm confused.)

According to ye olde dictionary.com, it seems to be a case of combining "chèvre" and "mutton" for whatever reason. Yay language! But yeah, its only meaning, as far as I know, is "goat meat." Sooooo yeah.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> I wont be getting one yet though. 2k gems is a lot so soon after the the original skin which i rather like. Maybe payday if it is still up

Exactly I was tempted until 2k.. that's just absurd. I got a pack of 5 mounts for under that, idk what they were thinkin with that price tag.

> @"deadsyeren.9583" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > I wont be getting one yet though. 2k gems is a lot so soon after the the original skin which i rather like. Maybe payday if it is still up

>

> Exactly I was tempted until 2k.. that's just absurd. I got a pack of 5 mounts for under that, idk what they were thinkin with that price tag.

That's just how much all of the "premium" skins cost. I think the first one or two initially had a discount, but the others released since then have all been 2000.

> @"deadsyeren.9583" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > I wont be getting one yet though. 2k gems is a lot so soon after the the original skin which i rather like. Maybe payday if it is still up

>

> Exactly I was tempted until 2k.. that's just absurd. I got a pack of 5 mounts for under that, idk what they were thinkin with that price tag.

That's how I feel about it. I'm still not happy with the mount skins-situation.

Either it is Loot Box Gambling or ridiclously overpriced "premium" skins.

No way do these "premium" mount skins take that much more effort than a basic outfit or armour skin for 700-800 Gems to warrant that price.

> Also, on the subject of this actually being a pangolin, here's a dev quote from [Anet-PaulS on Reddit](

"Anet-PaulS on Reddit"):

> > "There was a lot of somewhat heated discussion about this internally. Eventually it was decided that most people don't know what pangolins are (apparently including Chrome's spell check), so we went with Tremor Armadillo."

Nice to know that they have such a high opinion of us!

The issue for me is less the 2000 gems. It's that to get 2000 gems outright, you have to buy 2400 gems. WHich is nearly £30. For a skin. The same price as an expansion nearly

What complicates the whole pricing structure is the gold - gems scenario where essentially, skins go from £30 to being free.

It is what it is though. I remain convinced they'd sell and make more profit at 1600, but that's not my decision to make. For now, I'd prob pay the price if I liked it enough and I could justify £30 on a single skin, which I can't at the moment. By the time I likely can, it'll be taken down from the gem store.

I won't say I'd never buy a 2,000 gem skin but it would have to be something pretty incredible.

The most I've ever paid for a mount was £10.90 - which is about 1,025 gems. That was for a clouded-leopard mount in Elder Scrolls Online - one of my absolute favourite animals and one you almost never see in games, certainly not as a mount. I love pangolins too and for £10 I'd definitely buy it. But 2,000 gems is £21.25 and that's just too much for 1 skin IMO.

I have always said that pricing needs to be a fixed scale. If you put your expansions at $30, then you cannot put fluff items at that same price. But, this is a free market, and if their metrics are telling them that 2000 gems makes money, then that's what they are going to do. The best way to get cheaper stuff is to not buy the expensive stuff. Consumers don't realize that they control the market. The problem is that most consumers don't have any self control.

> > > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > Remember the last time ANet tried naming a mount using a word they weren't familiar with? I believe we ended up with a mount that translated into "mountain goat meat!"

> >

> > What?! (lol) When was that and what was it about?

> I assume they're talking about the [summit Wildhorn Springer](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summit_Wildhorn_Springer_Skin "Summit Wildhorn Springer"), which was originally called Summit Chevon.

>

> Also, on the subject of this actually being a pangolin, here's a dev quote from [Anet-PaulS on Reddit](https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8xrsr3/new_beetle_mount_skin_armadillo_heres_pic_of_it/e256xr9/ "Anet-PaulS on Reddit"):

Honestly not many people knowing about pangolins is even more reason to properly name the mount after them. Pangolins need awareness!

At least two species of pangolin are critically endangered while the rest don't rise above vulnerable status! And anet is just going to shrug and call this skin an armadillo because "well who knows what a pangolin is anyways?"

Well **I** know what a pangolin is and I am honestly very disappointed in anet for sweeping an endangered species under the rug like this. I don't get angry often, but this makes my blood boil.