So no branded/awakened/haloween/wintersday/exo-suit bettle?

> @"Udolpho.1209" said:

> Now the pack sets don't actually give you a full set, which sours the concept of a set. Not sure what the solution is. And are future sets, if they include the beetle, going to be more expensive? Ugggh.

>

> I'm reluctant to get the beetle atm because I've purchased so many mount skins that it seems ridiculous to _not_ use them. I'll still get the beetle for map completion, and to mess around, but I'm not feeling any urgency. The not-armadillo was a hard pass for me, sadly, but I am glad that it made others happy.

To add to what people say above, What is this "incomplete set" notion? Is the set called "Every mount ever until the end of time skin set"?

If you use your head you can deduce that even if it's not all mounts, if it's a set of 5 you get a full set of 5 -5/5 not 5/6!

If a beer company starts selling individual beers as well as continuing to sell a six pack do you write a letter saying, " Your six pack doesn't include seven beers! It's not a full six pack!"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> What have I missed? How do you know they're never going to do it?

>

> Or is this based entirely on the fact that they've not done it yet and including the beetle skin in the existing mount packs would increase the cost? Because the obvious answer to that IMO is that they'll sell the themed beetle skins separately, at least for the previous packs.

Dude, which part of "I suppose" did you not get? "Suppose" means that this is what he is thinking. It's his idea about what's going to happen. No one, said anything about "knowing" anything.

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > Why on earth do you think ANET owes anyone a free skin just because its expanded the mounts as the game expanded.

> > Sure I would expect and be happy to see some themed skins around key game events as and when, but just because something new is added to the game in no way means your owed anything. Gees with that in mind they would be forever having to give away stuff OR never expand things like mounts ever again to avoid this sense of player entitlement.

> >

>

> Perfectly worded.

What did I miss? No one said anything about being owed anything, as far as I've been able to read in this thread. There's plenty of wishes and hopes. But I haven't seen anyone in here demanding anything or expressing anything that could be interpreted as "ANet owe us". I'd like to know where you got that from? What did I miss?

> @"Antivillian.1250" said:

> > @"Udolpho.1209" said:

> > Now the pack sets don't actually give you a full set, which sours the concept of a set. Not sure what the solution is. And are future sets, if they include the beetle, going to be more expensive? Ugggh.

> >

> > I'm reluctant to get the beetle atm because I've purchased so many mount skins that it seems ridiculous to _not_ use them. I'll still get the beetle for map completion, and to mess around, but I'm not feeling any urgency. The not-armadillo was a hard pass for me, sadly, but I am glad that it made others happy.

>

> To add to what people say above, What is this "incomplete set" notion? Is the set called "Every mount ever until the end of time skin set"?

>

> If you use your head you can deduce that even if it's not all mounts, if it's a set of 5 you get a full set of 5 -5/5 not 5/6!

> If a beer company starts selling individual beers as well as continuing to sell a six pack do you write a letter saying, " Your six pack doesn't include seven beers! It's not a full six pack!"

I wouldn't ever buy a set of 5 when there's 6 mounts. I wouldn't buy a "set" because I wanted 6 different skins. I would get it to get 1 theme for all mounts. Hence, a 5/5 defeats the purpose of the set, because there's 6 mounts and the 6th one doesn't fit the theme.

When they made mount packs they never considered the possibility that they would ever make new mounts and make the sets retroactive? Seems like they weren't interested in caring about the value of player's money on this one.

All previous packs have lost considerable value when they become rereleased without a beetle variant.

> @"Zelanard.5806" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > What have I missed? How do you know they're never going to do it?

> >

> > Or is this based entirely on the fact that they've not done it yet and including the beetle skin in the existing mount packs would increase the cost? Because the obvious answer to that IMO is that they'll sell the themed beetle skins separately, at least for the previous packs.

>

> Dude, which part of "I suppose" did you not get? "Suppose" means that this is what he is thinking. It's his idea about what's going to happen. No one, said anything about "knowing" anything.

>

> > @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> > > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > Why on earth do you think ANET owes anyone a free skin just because its expanded the mounts as the game expanded.

> > > Sure I would expect and be happy to see some themed skins around key game events as and when, but just because something new is added to the game in no way means your owed anything. Gees with that in mind they would be forever having to give away stuff OR never expand things like mounts ever again to avoid this sense of player entitlement.

> > >

> >

> > Perfectly worded.

>

> What did I miss? No one said anything about being owed anything, as far as I've been able to read in this thread. There's plenty of wishes and hopes. But I haven't seen anyone in here demanding anything or expressing anything that could be interpreted as "ANet owe us". I'd like to know where you got that from? What did I miss?

>

> > @"Antivillian.1250" said:

> > > @"Udolpho.1209" said:

> > > Now the pack sets don't actually give you a full set, which sours the concept of a set. Not sure what the solution is. And are future sets, if they include the beetle, going to be more expensive? Ugggh.

> > >

> > > I'm reluctant to get the beetle atm because I've purchased so many mount skins that it seems ridiculous to _not_ use them. I'll still get the beetle for map completion, and to mess around, but I'm not feeling any urgency. The not-armadillo was a hard pass for me, sadly, but I am glad that it made others happy.

> >

> > To add to what people say above, What is this "incomplete set" notion? Is the set called "Every mount ever until the end of time skin set"?

> >

> > If you use your head you can deduce that even if it's not all mounts, if it's a set of 5 you get a full set of 5 -5/5 not 5/6!

> > If a beer company starts selling individual beers as well as continuing to sell a six pack do you write a letter saying, " Your six pack doesn't include seven beers! It's not a full six pack!"

>

> I wouldn't ever buy a set of 5 when there's 6 mounts. I wouldn't buy a "set" because I wanted 6 different skins. I would get it to get 1 theme for all mounts. Hence, a 5/5 defeats the purpose of the set, because there's 6 mounts and the 6th one doesn't fit the theme.

Yeah I think you missed reading through the whole thread.. then perhaps you could of spared yourself much typing and contradiction.

> @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > To be fair there is no Armadillo Raptor, Springer, Skimmer, Jackal, Griffon either.

>

> That could be the special skin that doesn't match, like the lion head griffon, or the million tailed wolf.

They should make a pack with those.

> @"Zelanard.5806" said:

> What did I miss? No one said anything about being owed anything, as far as I've been able to read in this thread. There's plenty of wishes and hopes. But I haven't seen anyone in here demanding anything or expressing anything that could be interpreted as "ANet owe us". I'd like to know where you got that from? What did I miss?

You missed posts in this thread (and other posts in other threads and elsewhere) similar to this one:

>> Players who bought a pack paid for a complete set of mounts and for the ability to dye all of their mounts, and therefore should receive a free beetle skin.

>> Both points of view are understandable, though I personally stand for the second one.

"Therefore should receive a free one"

While it's not a demand, I think it's easily interpreted as "ANet owes us."

To be fair, most of the posts in this thread aren't like that. But there have been plenty expressing that sentiment, ever since the preview of the beetle was posted, back before LS4.3.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > > To be fair there is no Armadillo Raptor, Springer, Skimmer, Jackal, Griffon either.

> >

> > I don't know if I should answer seriously but... Every mount has their own 2k gems skin. It's not in a pack. People who bought a complete set now have an incomplete set. That's the issue.

>

> The real issue here is that you are being impatient... “Long Live the Lich is Live by The Guild Wars 2 Team on June 26, 2018"... That was only 23 days ago.

I think everyone wants new skins for their newest mount. I think from a marketing standpoint Anet will bring out new sets or individual skins when the time is right. I expect to see a Halloween skin around Halloween time. Possibly that one will be some things we have to do to get it rather than purchase. Or they may opt to sell the skin individually. (Better start saving those candy corn cobs just in case!) There are a lot of ways for Anet to let us be able to get a "complete" a set of skins.

People are loving their beetles and want to trick them out already. That should make the excitement greater when Anet starts releasing the skins for the beetles. But I do think we need to have patience. You appreciate things more when you have had to work and/or wait to obtain them.

> @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > > To be fair there is no Armadillo Raptor, Springer, Skimmer, Jackal, Griffon either.

> >

> > That could be the special skin that doesn't match, like the lion head griffon, or the million tailed wolf.

>

> They should make a pack with those.

I agree, I am really impressed with those mount skins. They remind me of guardians of the world in some anime. The lion head griffon reminds me of the lion that rules the isle of misfit toys, like he's gonna start talk to me at some point.

I get what people mean when they say "you knew what you were paying for when you bought the set" but I didn't know there would be another mount added, much less that the matching set of skins would suddenly have one odd man out who doesn't match.

I don't feel that I should be given extra skins for having bought the previous sets, but I would like for anet to provide some way for me to have them be 'complete' again.

The idea that someone mentioned earlier that is a pack of beetle skins seems like a good idea. Except I didn't buy all the mount skin sets because I didn't like all of them. So then I would just be left with some random beetle skins that belong to sets that I don't own.

One way to make the sets feel complete again would be to add beetles to the old sets, and have the prices change to match. So the full set including the beetle would cost more than it did before the beetle was added. And if you previously bought a set before the beetle, the price is reduced to only be the extra cost the beetle added.

Or they could release beetle skins to match the sets as standalone, but I feel that would make it awkward for anyone buying the sets who didn't have them already.

Of course, that is if anet ever makes matching beetles to begin with, which I really hope they do.

> @"SnowHawk.3615" said:

> i know what a beetle is, not a bettle. is that like a type of kettle?

tl;dr When a bet is made in the bottle where the roller beetles battle

with their paddles in a puddle on a noodle-eating poodle,

THIS is what they call...

a bettle

According to ANet

> > What do we know about roller beetles? Well...

> >

> > When roller beetles fight,

> > it's called a roller beetle battle.

> >

> > And when they battle in a puddle,

> > it's a roller beetle puddle battle.

> >

> > AND when roller beetles battle with paddles in a puddle,

> > they call it a roller beetle puddle paddle battle.

> >

> > AND...

> >

> > When beetles battle beetles in a puddle paddle battle

> > and the beetle battle puddle is a puddle in a bottle...

> > ...they call this a roller beetle bottle puddle paddle battle muddle.

> >

> > AND...

> >

> > When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles

> > and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...

> > ...they call this a muddle puddle roller poodle beetle noodle

> > bottle paddle battle.

> >

> > AND...

> >

> > When a bet is made in the bottle where the roller beetles battle

> > with their paddles in a puddle on a noodle-eating poodle,

> > THIS is what they call...

> >

> > **...a bettle**.

> >

Here is what I believe the most likely way forward is with beetle skins:

Old mount packs will remain as they are (5 skins).

New mount packs will be added with beetle included (6 skins), with a possible increase in price.

Future adoption license sets will now have beetle skins added to the mix.

Exclusive standalone mount skins will continue to be released for 2000 gems.

No retroactive beetle skins will be added. Not to existing sets, not as a standalone, not as a "legacy beetle skin pack."

You may think that's fair/unfair. Consumer friendly/anti-consumer. I just think that is how they are most likely to handle it. I don't know if I particularly care. I was so excited at the concept of mount skins when PoF came out. Even moreso when the first skins were released. But they're just too overpriced IMO. Only the packs seem reasonably priced for me. I'm just waiting for a set with a theme I like top to bottom (which feels unlikely at this point).

I'm very happy that ArenaNet is not retroactively adding beetle skins for the old mount packs.

ArenaNet often has issues with "content that requires more content". For example, in the original Guild Wars, chapter 1 had six professions; chapter 2 had two new professions and new skills for the six old professions; chapter 3 had two new professions and new skills for the *eight* old professions. This created an impossible situation - player expectation was set so, if there had been a chapter 4, it would have had to have two new professions and new skills for the ten old professions, a chapter 5 would have two new professions and skills for the twelve old professions, and so on. It would have been impossible to maintain this.

If ArenaNet had created new skins for the Beetle for each of the old packs, players would require them to do so whenever they release a new mount. If they released a new mount one year from now, they would have, beyond all the work in making the new mount, to spend resources creating skins for all the skin packs released until then. That's insane, and a system that obviously cannot maintain itself.

I have one of the mount skin packs, and yeah, it's kinda annoying that the beetle is the only one different from all the others. Better to have this, though, than a system that could dissuade ArenaNet from releasing new mounts in the future.

> @"Erasculio.2914" said:

> I'm very happy that ArenaNet is not retroactively adding beetle skins for the old mount packs.

>

> ArenaNet often has issues with "content that requires more content". For example, in the original Guild Wars, chapter 1 had six professions; chapter 2 had two new professions and new skills for the six old professions; chapter 3 had two new professions and new skills for the *eight* old professions. This created an impossible situation - player expectation was set so, if there had been a chapter 4, it would have had to have two new professions and new skills for the ten old professions, a chapter 5 would have two new professions and skills for the twelve old professions, and so on. It would have been impossible to maintain this.

>

> If ArenaNet had created new skins for the Beetle for each of the old packs, players would require them to do so whenever they release a new mount. If they released a new mount one year from now, they would have, beyond all the work in making the new mount, to spend resources creating skins for all the skin packs released until then. That's insane, and a system that obviously cannot maintain itself.

>

> I have one of the mount skin packs, and yeah, it's kinda annoying that the beetle is the only one different from all the others. Better to have this, though, than a system that could dissuade ArenaNet from releasing new mounts in the future.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. First of, Anet has a limitted window to release new mounts. At the next expansion, it will no longer be the "main feature", and no new mount is likely to be released, so the problem will end there. You ask me, it is unlikely they release even one more mount from now on. Not because it's too mutch work, but because we already have everything we could possibly need. The beetle already has little to no use, because the large, flat maps are usually the base game's maps and there are waypoints absolutely everywhere, and the most recent maps are all but a good place for the beetle to move efficiently, there are just too many obstacles.

Secondly, they don't have to update all mount packs at once. They can spread the work, ex. they add a haloween beetle when it's haloween, same for wintersday mounts... In other words, they only have to make one new skin when the mount pack is back in the store. Sure, it's added devlopment work, but I think it is worth it and will make people want to buy those packs even more. On the long term, I think it would be a good marketing move from Anet, as it will generate more packs purchases. I'd probably have bought the awakened pack if there was a beetle skin in there.

> @"ROMANG.1903" said:

>

> The beetle already has little to no use, because the large, flat maps are usually the base game's maps and there are waypoints absolutely everywhere, and the most recent maps are all but a good place for the beetle to move efficiently, there are just too many obstacles.

I disagree. Most PoF maps are wide open and flat. Desolation is the only place where a beetle might be overly constrained. Both Istan and Sandswept could benefit from having a beetle handy at times. Silverwates is a great place to have a beetle, since it has 3 WP, two of which are frequently contested (imagine the value if you die during a Vinewrath). I could see places where you could find use for beetle in Tangled Depth and Auric basin. Plus beetle is great for alts with little to no map complete that need to get somewhere.

It may be the most niche of mounts, but it has tons of potential and a very high skill cap.

> @"JDub.1530" said:

> It may be the most niche of mounts, but it has tons of potential and a very high skill cap.

Not to mention how there's still a lot of room for new mounts.

A mount that uses stealth, for when we need to cross an area filled with enemies. An underwater mount, to speed underwater travel speed. A mount that can climb walls for a short time (c'mon, we need a spider mount). And so on.

> @"Erasculio.2914" said:

> > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > It may be the most niche of mounts, but it has tons of potential and a very high skill cap.

>

> Not to mention how there's still a lot of room for new mounts.

>

> A mount that uses stealth, for when we need to cross an area filled with enemies.

This would be completely overpowered, and uninteresting. What's the point of ennemies if you can ignore them? Might as well not put any ennemy at all...

>An underwater mount, to speed underwater travel speed.

Make the Skimmer go underwater. Done.

>A mount that can climb walls for a short time (c'mon, we need a spider mount). And so on.

Springer? They already said that a spider mount was an idea that had been abandoned.