Having all classes on 1 character like in FFXIV

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > There's awesome game, much better than this one, that allows this. It's called Guild Wars, and it actually has GvG, like the name suggests :)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It allows a primary profession to choose a secondary, which is not the same as being able to use a single character to play all the professions. I personally liked it in GW1, but in practice, there were lots of primary+secondary combinations that made little sense or weren't fun and I find the GW2 system superior, because I feel there are a high fraction of useful options. In GW1, there were a lot of useless skills and skills that had only niche utility. More options? Sure. More good options? Not in my experience.

> > > > >

> > > > > I was expecting you to say sth like this.

> > > >

> > > > When you state your opinion as a fact, of course someone is going to respond.

> > >

> > > Only if insecurities push it to do so.

> >

> > I think it does your own point of view a disservice to pretend that we can compare preferences as if they were objective facts. It also undermines your case to veer from a discussion of the OP's proposal, by attempting to make the conversation about the people discussing it.

> >

> > The fact is that GW1 has secondary professions for characters, which is different from the OP's request. Some people like that better than what GW2 offers, although personally, I found it was more fun in theory than actual practice. A lot of mathematically possible combinations and few useful or fun ones. (That aside, there's no jumping in GW1 and we have to stop to use most skills.)

>

> You are the only one who made my post into fact like. This is forums. I have no obligation or desire to put in every message "this is my opinion". Everything here is an opinion. Get used to it, honey.

As a reminder, you wrote (and keep quoting yourself):

> much better than this one

That's an opinion posted as if it's true for everyone.

In contrast, not everything posted is an opinion. For example, it's not a fact that GW1 allows you to play all professions on one character; you can use some of the features, not all. It's also a fact that you can't jump in GW1 and that most skills force you to stand still. Those facts generate different opinions: some don't mind and some feel it makes GW1 less fun to play.

It's not all that hard to distinguish when it's appropriate to preface something with "I think" or "in my opinion."

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > There's awesome game, much better than this one, that allows this. It's called Guild Wars, and it actually has GvG, like the name suggests :)

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It allows a primary profession to choose a secondary, which is not the same as being able to use a single character to play all the professions. I personally liked it in GW1, but in practice, there were lots of primary+secondary combinations that made little sense or weren't fun and I find the GW2 system superior, because I feel there are a high fraction of useful options. In GW1, there were a lot of useless skills and skills that had only niche utility. More options? Sure. More good options? Not in my experience.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I was expecting you to say sth like this.

> > > > >

> > > > > When you state your opinion as a fact, of course someone is going to respond.

> > > >

> > > > Only if insecurities push it to do so.

> > >

> > > I think it does your own point of view a disservice to pretend that we can compare preferences as if they were objective facts. It also undermines your case to veer from a discussion of the OP's proposal, by attempting to make the conversation about the people discussing it.

> > >

> > > The fact is that GW1 has secondary professions for characters, which is different from the OP's request. Some people like that better than what GW2 offers, although personally, I found it was more fun in theory than actual practice. A lot of mathematically possible combinations and few useful or fun ones. (That aside, there's no jumping in GW1 and we have to stop to use most skills.)

> >

> > You are the only one who made my post into fact like. This is forums. I have no obligation or desire to put in every message "this is my opinion". Everything here is an opinion. Get used to it, honey.

>

> As a reminder, you wrote (and keep quoting yourself):

> > much better than this one

> That's an opinion posted as if it's true for everyone.

>

> In contrast, not everything posted is an opinion. For example, it's not a fact that GW1 allows you to play all professions on one character; you can use some of the features, not all. It's also a fact that you can't jump in GW1 and that most skills force you to stand still. Those facts generate different opinions: some don't mind and some feel it makes GW1 less fun to play.

>

> It's not all that hard to distinguish when it's appropriate to preface something with "I think" or "in my opinion."

The artificial requirement of prefacing something is nothing more but your opinion, which I have no obligation or desire to follow. Thanks for the lecture, it made no difference.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > > There's awesome game, much better than this one, that allows this. It's called Guild Wars, and it actually has GvG, like the name suggests :)

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It allows a primary profession to choose a secondary, which is not the same as being able to use a single character to play all the professions. I personally liked it in GW1, but in practice, there were lots of primary+secondary combinations that made little sense or weren't fun and I find the GW2 system superior, because I feel there are a high fraction of useful options. In GW1, there were a lot of useless skills and skills that had only niche utility. More options? Sure. More good options? Not in my experience.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I was expecting you to say sth like this.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > When you state your opinion as a fact, of course someone is going to respond.

> > > > >

> > > > > Only if insecurities push it to do so.

> > > >

> > > > I think it does your own point of view a disservice to pretend that we can compare preferences as if they were objective facts. It also undermines your case to veer from a discussion of the OP's proposal, by attempting to make the conversation about the people discussing it.

> > > >

> > > > The fact is that GW1 has secondary professions for characters, which is different from the OP's request. Some people like that better than what GW2 offers, although personally, I found it was more fun in theory than actual practice. A lot of mathematically possible combinations and few useful or fun ones. (That aside, there's no jumping in GW1 and we have to stop to use most skills.)

> > >

> > > You are the only one who made my post into fact like. This is forums. I have no obligation or desire to put in every message "this is my opinion". Everything here is an opinion. Get used to it, honey.

> >

> > As a reminder, you wrote (and keep quoting yourself):

> > > much better than this one

> > That's an opinion posted as if it's true for everyone.

> >

> > In contrast, not everything posted is an opinion. For example, it's not a fact that GW1 allows you to play all professions on one character; you can use some of the features, not all. It's also a fact that you can't jump in GW1 and that most skills force you to stand still. Those facts generate different opinions: some don't mind and some feel it makes GW1 less fun to play.

> >

> > It's not all that hard to distinguish when it's appropriate to preface something with "I think" or "in my opinion."

>

> The artificial requirement of prefacing something is nothing more but your opinion, which I have no obligation or desire to follow. Thanks for the lecture, it made no difference.

Was this trip really necessary?

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > > There's awesome game, much better than this one, that allows this. It's called Guild Wars, and it actually has GvG, like the name suggests :)

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It allows a primary profession to choose a secondary, which is not the same as being able to use a single character to play all the professions. I personally liked it in GW1, but in practice, there were lots of primary+secondary combinations that made little sense or weren't fun and I find the GW2 system superior, because I feel there are a high fraction of useful options. In GW1, there were a lot of useless skills and skills that had only niche utility. More options? Sure. More good options? Not in my experience.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I was expecting you to say sth like this.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > When you state your opinion as a fact, of course someone is going to respond.

> > > > >

> > > > > Only if insecurities push it to do so.

> > > >

> > > > I think it does your own point of view a disservice to pretend that we can compare preferences as if they were objective facts. It also undermines your case to veer from a discussion of the OP's proposal, by attempting to make the conversation about the people discussing it.

> > > >

> > > > The fact is that GW1 has secondary professions for characters, which is different from the OP's request. Some people like that better than what GW2 offers, although personally, I found it was more fun in theory than actual practice. A lot of mathematically possible combinations and few useful or fun ones. (That aside, there's no jumping in GW1 and we have to stop to use most skills.)

> > >

> > > You are the only one who made my post into fact like. This is forums. I have no obligation or desire to put in every message "this is my opinion". Everything here is an opinion. Get used to it, honey.

> >

> > As a reminder, you wrote (and keep quoting yourself):

> > > much better than this one

> > That's an opinion posted as if it's true for everyone.

> >

> > In contrast, not everything posted is an opinion. For example, it's not a fact that GW1 allows you to play all professions on one character; you can use some of the features, not all. It's also a fact that you can't jump in GW1 and that most skills force you to stand still. Those facts generate different opinions: some don't mind and some feel it makes GW1 less fun to play.

> >

> > It's not all that hard to distinguish when it's appropriate to preface something with "I think" or "in my opinion."

>

> The artificial requirement of prefacing something is nothing more but your opinion, which I have no obligation or desire to follow. Thanks for the lecture, it made no difference.

Such an artificial requirement does however clarify what you mean. When someone says "a is better than b" that implies a statement of fact. When someone says "I think a is better than b" it's an opinion. That's simply how it works with language.

It's your choice whether or not you choose to use these tools, but then don't get upset when people misinterpret or misunderstand what you're saying. It's your own fault then.

> @"tanf.8917" said:

> more options are always a good thing in a game

Why do you think more is always good? I can easily see a variety of points where more options are in fact detrimental to the game and/or its players.

For starters, more options make the game harder to understand for many (if not most) of the players. If you're able to unlock all classes on one character, it'll be much harder to find the red line guiding you to creating a useful character and make it much easier for people to get themselves stuck with builds and choices that make the game unnecessarily hard for them.

More options in character profession (and as a consequence, skills and traits) makes the whole system a lot harder to balance, ultimately leading to a lot of underpowered and most likely a few very overpowered combinations. The game as it is, with three professions (elite specializations) available to each character already offers a lot of underpowered builds, dumping all of them on a single character would increase the potential of unbalanced characters by a lot. In the end, you'd have an elite of especially dedicated and/or talented players going through everything in a breeze (and then complaining that everything is too easy) while a lot more average players would end up struggling to choose something that works for them. I can't see how that's healthy for the game.

More options on character customization would also mean more "work" for players to unlock those options. If you hand everything to people from the get go, they'll soon be bored. If you make unlocking character-specific you'll drive people who love to play different characters (for which there is a variety of reasons) into repeating the same kinds of unlocks again and again and again. If you make unlocking account-specific, it's a one-and-done. The game as it is now has a great balance bewteen account- and character-speciifc unlocks in my opinion. You can re-do beginner stuff like story or map completion on alternate characters if you enjoy it, but if you don't enjoy it, your characters are still easily ready for whatever else you have in mind for them (raids, wvw etc). To create a multi-class system that is just as alt-friendly, by allowing you to do all kinds of activities on the alt while leaving them mostly optional seems almost impossible to me.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> That's kinda what Elite Specializations are

And this. We already have three (more or less related) classes rolled into one with the way elite specializations work right now, with more on the horizon via future expansions. It's not all of the classes the game offers, but a variety of different playstyles you're able to choose for your character (almost) on the fly. I know a lot of people in game who prefer switching up their skills/traits and elites whenever they want to play something different, prefering to stay with a base well-known to them while changing up the gameplay on top of that well-known base every now and then. It'll make it much easier for many people to grasp what they're doing rather than dumping 8 more sets of traits, weapons and utility skills on them and leave them to their own devices (or the mercy of metabattle builds).