Roller Beetle is a misfire

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > Beetle is fun and many likes it. I don't use it much but find it very cute. For me, not everything in the game needs to make sense or be useful. I mean, we ride a giant rabbit to hunt carrots: From there, why should a saddle on a beetle be a problem? It's just fun! :3

>

> But you just said why: Rabbits do hop, and they eat carrots. A beetle however does not roll like that. You are contradiciting your own question.

Beetles in fact do roll like that because you know, they roll.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > It's a gimmick mount true..

> > > So long as Anet maintain it's presence i'm cool with it though.

> > >

> > > For example I do not want to see the Beetle become obsolete like the Oakvine hookshot was after Draconis Mons..

> > > I'll be extremely annoyed if that happens and actively peeved off every time I RNG unlock a beetle skin in the future since it will be for a mount I'd consider worthless.

> > >

> > > I'd much rather Anet bite the bullet and ensure to design future content for the Beetle regardless of the possibility some players won't be able to access it due to not having the living world that unlocks it.

> >

> > To be honest the Skimmer and Jackal are gimmicks too.

>

> Maybe the Jackal is although you do need it in the regular maps of Elona to get mastery points so it is definitely more useful. The Skimmer is something more to me since it allows you to move faster across water without aggroing underwater maps AND I recently discovered that you can mount the Skimmer from the water as well. Those two elements are useful for all my alts all across the world so I do not agree the Skimmer is just a gimmick.

>

The thing is the cases where you actually need it are very limited. Outside of core tyria exploration there is rarely ever a body of water large enough to be worth switching so in the end it is all convenience

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > It's a gimmick mount true..

> > So long as Anet maintain it's presence i'm cool with it though.

> >

> > For example I do not want to see the Beetle become obsolete like the Oakvine hookshot was after Draconis Mons..

> > I'll be extremely annoyed if that happens and actively peeved off every time I RNG unlock a beetle skin in the future since it will be for a mount I'd consider worthless.

> >

> > I'd much rather Anet bite the bullet and ensure to design future content for the Beetle regardless of the possibility some players won't be able to access it due to not having the living world that unlocks it.

>

> To be honest the Skimmer and Jackal are gimmicks too.

Hm, a lot less than the Oakheart Essence. The jackal has the advantage over raptor and roller beetle when it comes to ascending slopes. The skimmer has the best advantage over a body of water. Both can be used anywhere, except pre-PoF instances. The Oakheart Essence can only be used in Draconis Mons and the guild hall, and with the springer mount has become a bit more obsolete than before since the springer is enough for the shorter distances and heights. Remaining in the air with Oakheart Essence is also more obsolete since we now have the griffon with does the same thing without having to pick up something to continue staying in the air. The roller beetle can be used in any map like every other mount, and that alone makes it less niche than Oakheart Essence.

Using the roller beetle for future content would be nice, I agree. But you can't lock progress or achievements behind it. When it comes to open world, the most casual environment in the game, everything has to be acccessible to everyone (provided you have the required expansion). So no locking map completion behind the roller beetle like in the Domain of Kourna, for instance, or having to pick up a trophy for a collection that can only be reached with a roller beetle. As it is, even if they never implement anything remotely related to the roller beetle in the future, even if all the marked walls will be in Kourna and nowhere else, it will still be more useful than the Oakheart Essence because you can use the mount everywhere regardless of its unique function.

> @"Rikimaru.7890" said:

> I gather there must have been discussions about it already, however I decided to wait what happens after the hype cools down, so I'm making mine now.

>

> Let's face it, it doesn't really make much difference wether you have it or not.

> There are several reasons why it's useless:

>

> **1) It's nothing but another nod to the original Guild Wars players**

> Pretty self-explanatory, so let's move on.

>

How is adding a race car that does nothing else a nod to original guild wars players? It's just a nice and fun addition.

> **2) The way we mount it ridicules it on it's own**

> I mean the "saddle" is a high-tech bike which hovers above the ground and presumably manipulates nuclear forces to remain attached to the beetle.

> So remove the beetle and instead attach a jet engine at the back and the saddle will become a better mount on it's own.

>

Having a woodlouse/beetle instead of some rockets just seems much cooler and gw2-ish to me. And, regarding the high-tech saddle.... pls visit an asuran map....

> **3) It's not very convenient to ride**

> While it can move very fast it all depends on wether you move on a flat surface or downward, but if you are going up a hill it's very inconvenient.

> It's also very difficult to steer, which is why no one actually uses it in a race as even if the speed boost will make you really fast it's very likely you will go in the wrong direction when you have to turn. You can hardly see anyone riding it in open world too, most players still prefer to ride Raptors, Jackals and Griffons, also Skimmers when they need to cross water.

>

In case you haven't noticed, roller beetle is just a fun mount, nothing else. Once in a while you wanna take a break from raiding and stuff and just enjoy the speed. I know it's not easy to go everywhere because of hills, water and stuff, but there are still tons of maps you can race on

> **4) It's "Special Ability" is pretty much force implemented**

> The ability to break through walls is nothing that the Jackals sand portals couldn't solve. There are many places we can't get in directly in PoF and have to use a sand portal to get in.

> So swapping sand portals with breakable walls in some places does not make the new skill truely useful. More over the sand portals are much more amusing to use, as they can be used to create fun riddles like in the Sanctum of Nabkha. They can also be "fake" i.e. picking the wrong one kicks you back to the start, also they can be hard to find as both exits can be placed very far from one another. Breaking a wall however hardly gives you any feeling of mystery, you obviously know where will you go with that, you could place a wall that leads nowhere, but it will never be as fun as the portals.

This is the only good point. Its special ability is a different version of the jackal's, but, imo, breaking walls feels better than going through portals.

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> Mounts in general were a misfire.

>

> They trivialize most of the explorable content in the game.

They simplify it, I wouldn't say they trivialize it.

Most of the people who have mounts have already explored most parts at least once before and if they really want to go through the caves and skip all enemies inside again jsut to reach a Vista they can still do so the original way. The places where it matters, like most jumping puzzles, all have mount restrictions.

It took a while for me to appreciate the beetle. True, it is not the most functionally necessary or useful of the mounts. But when I have any sort of decent distance to travel, and don't plan to be stopping constantly to harvest along the way, the beetle gets revved up. Then I whiz across the terrain at the speed of light, trying not to wrap the bug around a boulder and attempting to do stunts whenever I grab some air. Pure fun! It's the most entertaining travel toy in the game.

No misfire here.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > It's a gimmick mount true..

> > > > So long as Anet maintain it's presence i'm cool with it though.

> > > >

> > > > For example I do not want to see the Beetle become obsolete like the Oakvine hookshot was after Draconis Mons..

> > > > I'll be extremely annoyed if that happens and actively peeved off every time I RNG unlock a beetle skin in the future since it will be for a mount I'd consider worthless.

> > > >

> > > > I'd much rather Anet bite the bullet and ensure to design future content for the Beetle regardless of the possibility some players won't be able to access it due to not having the living world that unlocks it.

> > >

> > > To be honest the Skimmer and Jackal are gimmicks too.

> >

> > Maybe the Jackal is although you do need it in the regular maps of Elona to get mastery points so it is definitely more useful. The Skimmer is something more to me since it allows you to move faster across water without aggroing underwater maps AND I recently discovered that you can mount the Skimmer from the water as well. Those two elements are useful for all my alts all across the world so I do not agree the Skimmer is just a gimmick.

> >

>

> The thing is the cases where you actually need it are very limited. Outside of core tyria exploration there is rarely ever a body of water large enough to be worth switching so in the end it is all convenience

It is convenience, though in this case the skimmer is more of a QoL upgrade in my view. There is plenty of water out there as far as I'm concerned, but hey, not everybody plays the same. But all in all, the mounts I use a lot are the Springer first and then the Skimmer. I haven't gotten that 250 gold one just yet.

> @"Reverielle.3972" said:

> I think it's still a shame it's not more widely appealing and useful.

I use it frequently. And if not for usefulness then just for fun. It's amazing that the beetle is both the fastest and the slowest mount of all. Join the [bulletstorm](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/50615/eu-1st-bulletstorm-beetle-walk "Bulletstorm") next sunday^^

> @"Lanhelin.3480" said:

> > @"Reverielle.3972" said:

> > I think it's still a shame it's not more widely appealing and useful.

>

> I use it frequently. And if not for usefulness then just for fun. It's amazing that the beetle is both the fastest and the slowest mount of all. Join the [bulletstorm](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/50615/eu-1st-bulletstorm-beetle-walk "Bulletstorm") next sunday^^

I'm really glad that some do use it, and I do spot it from time to time out in the open world (the fact that I notice each time I see one I think is testament to how uncommon it is). It would be awful if it was never seen at all.

I really hope there are no other mounts added however. I guess there is capacity for possibly an underwater mount (however we don't have any underwater content - yet - in the game to warrant one), but beyond that I see no scope for any future addition.

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> i wonder if Griffon, (that is behind a gold sink around 300g, and that is becoming more and more essential), caused so much noise.

>

How is it becoming more and more essential? Other than the occasional mastery point, for which mesmers with the mount are happy to make a portal, I haven't really seen an actual need for it. So what have I missed?

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> i wonder if Griffon, (that is behind a gold sink around 300g, and that is becoming more and more essential), caused so much noise.

>

250g, it is as useful as it always was (no new content besides the adventures requires them) and it caused next to no uproar

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > It's a gimmick mount true..

> > So long as Anet maintain it's presence i'm cool with it though.

> >

> > For example I do not want to see the Beetle become obsolete like the Oakvine hookshot was after Draconis Mons..

> > I'll be extremely annoyed if that happens and actively peeved off every time I RNG unlock a beetle skin in the future since it will be for a mount I'd consider worthless.

> >

> > I'd much rather Anet bite the bullet and ensure to design future content for the Beetle regardless of the possibility some players won't be able to access it due to not having the living world that unlocks it.

>

> To be honest the Skimmer and Jackal are gimmicks too.

Not really.. the Jackal more than the Skimmer maybe but both of them having been introduced in the expansion have more continued core use than the Beetle which could potentially suffer from Living World Mastery obsoletism outside of it's introduction chapter.

> @"Kumiho.2756" said:

> So you are saying press C to drift was a misfire?

> Put on "Initial D-Dejavu" in the background and you will enjoy the beetle even more

> It's like eating cereals without milk,you may enjoy it but you will never know its true potencial

I was literally humming that to myself when I first learned how to drift it xD

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

>

Take it from someone who was originally against mounts and who's done map completion several times..

Since expansion content and living world content has added a great deal more enjoyable higher standard content to the game.. running around completing the original games maps has become an incredibly dull thing to do.

Mounts speeding up that process is a godsend if you ask me..

I think a lot of veteran players will agree with me on that.. while it's still enjoyable to play though the personal story and run new characters through the game.. completing all the original maps can get extremely dull simply because the content isn't on the same level we've gotten used to in the living world and expansion maps.

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

>

That's why the new content was built around them. ;) I don't mind doing my dozenth map exploration and having it being faster and easier for a change.

As for the Roller Beetle, I am quite disappointed with it myself. It feels inconvenient in most situations.

I've had fun with it on fairly open maps (e.g. Gendarran fields). My main issue is that my computer is a POS, so it's practically uncontrollable at high speed (moreso than intended, that is). But that's my personal problem, it's a nice mount. Would be nicer if the endurance bar started at 50%, but eh.

I mean lets not be naive to think this wasn't simply added to the game to sell more mount skins. I assume they are making a killing off of them because you see them everywhere.

It is not a very practical mount. The wall breaking is a mastery for a trivial obstacle that ads nothing to the game. The endurance design kills any practicality it might have. "Oh here is a wall to break, let me sit here while my endurance charges so I can break it" I assume the intended advantage was speed to be sacrificed by the ability to change direction quickly and jump. But, that advantage is quickly negated by the need to charge it before it can be taken advantage of.

The only thing it is good for is getting across a fairly large distance you had already planned on getting to. Other than that its not something anyone is going to really use and will be one of the many Living Story masteries that are trivial and never used again.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> > Mounts in general were a misfire.

> >

> > They trivialize most of the explorable content in the game.

>

> How do they trivialize anything? No one is required to use them other than in PoF content.

If anything the mounts made exploring more fun and less tedious. Some people are suckers for punishment I guess...

Edit: as a sidenote, so I don't have to make a separate post. I have the roller beetle now and man it does go fast. In fact I found out it's so fast that it can actually clear water as long as it's not too far, so that's an effect I hadn't counted on.