[Suggestion] Block purchase of known recipes

Nunya.4920

There are more than enough mastery points where you can skip the JP ones and still have enough masteries to complete the masteries. There are many extras. On another note, there are plenty of friendly mesmers that would help you get those JP Masteries, I know I've helped a lot of people get them. Perhaps you should ask in your guild.

No real comment on the recipe suggestion. I've bought the wrong recipe on occasion and yep, it's annoying.

Not hating, but you know the solution already, you answered your own request twice in the OP. Read what you're about to click. Sure, they could just make it unbuyable if you already have it but printing "You have already unlocked this recipe/content/skin." should be enough. I wouldn't mind your solution either, but since I read what I buy, I don't really care. I don't want to come off as super snarky, this is just the third or fourth thread this week asking ANet to put in extra effort because ppl appearantly can't be bothered to read ingame text anymore. When it comes to recipes, it doesn't even require basic reading coprehension or knowledge of any language, if there's a red line of text in the description, you already have it, don't buy it.

Hope you don't waste too much currency in the future. Have a nice day. :)

I wouldn't mind them being unbuyable if you already have them. Though perhaps this would be an opening to bugs where the game thinks you already have it and so you can't buy it even if you need it?

But yea, there is a big red line in the description if you already have it, it's very easy to see. ^^

Also, there are several merchants that will give you a full refund if you sell them back your item. You might want to try it.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> Not hating, but you know the solution already, you answered your own request twice in the OP. Read what you're about to click. Sure, they could just make it unbuyable if you already have it but printing "You have already unlocked this recipe/content/skin." should be enough. I wouldn't mind your solution either, but since I read what I buy, I don't really care. I don't want to come off as super snarky, this is just the third or fourth thread this week asking ANet to put in extra effort because ppl appearantly can't be bothered to read ingame text anymore. When it comes to recipes, it doesn't even require basic reading coprehension or knowledge of any language, if there's a red line of text in the description, you already have it, don't buy it.

> Hope you don't waste too much currency in the future. Have a nice day. :)

It's in bold red right in the middle of the description too...

Learnable recipes are in an odd position because for years you had to get multiple copies of them if you wanted multiple alts to know them. It was wonderful when they implemented the change to unlocking them account wide. However, code going that direction is likely one thing, but going back to recode every single recipe to block purchase if it's known may be another thing entirely. Add to that, when a recipe is tradeable you don't want to be locked out of profits just because you already learned it once.

The line of red text should be enough for anyone paying the tiniest bit of attention. It helpfully appears for every alt, not just the one that initially learned it.

> @"Nunya.4920" said:

> > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > I wouldn't mind them being unbuyable if you already have them. Though perhaps this would be an opening to bugs where the game thinks you already have it and so you can't buy it even if you need it?

> >

> > But yea, there is a big red line in the description if you already have it, it's very easy to see. ^^

> > Also, there are several merchants that will give you a full refund if you sell them back your item. You might want to try it.

>

> Thanks for the info about refunds, but I didn't see that option for some of my most expensive mistakes. Also IDK about game bugs from not letting you buy something, that you only will ever need one of, per account, but it seems to me, that there are many things already, that can or can't be purchased in other cases, so I assume it may be possible. I'd never know, if I didn't ask. Ty, and everyone, for answering

Yeah, I haven't seen any options either for a buy back mistake unless it was something you originally sold to the vendor by accident. There is the Buy Back tab for that.

> @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> > @"Nunya.4920" said:

> > > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > I wouldn't mind them being unbuyable if you already have them. Though perhaps this would be an opening to bugs where the game thinks you already have it and so you can't buy it even if you need it?

> > >

> > > But yea, there is a big red line in the description if you already have it, it's very easy to see. ^^

> > > Also, there are several merchants that will give you a full refund if you sell them back your item. You might want to try it.

> >

> > Thanks for the info about refunds, but I didn't see that option for some of my most expensive mistakes. Also IDK about game bugs from not letting you buy something, that you only will ever need one of, per account, but it seems to me, that there are many things already, that can or can't be purchased in other cases, so I assume it may be possible. I'd never know, if I didn't ask. Ty, and everyone, for answering

>

> Yeah, I haven't seen any options either for a buy back mistake unless it was something you originally sold to the vendor by accident. There is the Buy Back tab for that.

Edit: They could possibly put a warning in the purchase pop up saying "You are know this recipe, are you sure you want to buy it again?" Lol

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> they also block you from buying LW episodes when you already have it, that should apply to anything you already bought and unlocks account wide. (so also outfits, gliders, finishers and armor skins)

on the other hand you are not blocked from buying more bank tabs than you are allowed to have

> @"Nunya.4920" said:

> > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > Learnable recipes are in an odd position because for years you had to get multiple copies of them if you wanted multiple alts to know them. It was wonderful when they implemented the change to unlocking them account wide. However, code going that direction is likely one thing, but going back to recode every single recipe to block purchase if it's known may be another thing entirely. Add to that, when a recipe is tradeable you don't want to be locked out of profits just because you already learned it once.

> >

> > The line of red text should be enough for anyone paying the tiniest bit of attention. It helpfully appears for every alt, not just the one that initially learned it.

>

> I know nothing about coding, and I don't blame ANET. When you ask a favor, the answer can be yes, or no. I had a 50/50 chance of getting what I wanted. If I had not asked, there was a %100 chance I would not get anything. At this point, I also feel I must point out, that in my first post, I did indeed take full responsibility for my own blindness. However, the apparent blindness to my words, from those who lament my terrible eyesight, is ironic. Ty, and everyone, for answering

My apologies, I did not mean to disparage you in particular. I am extremely myopic myself and my vision constantly swims thanks to vitreous detachments in both eyes. I was incorporating other posters' comments that you needn't be able to read the text to see there is a red line of it -- at least if you can see well enough to play the game at all and are not colorblind. As to the coding, I wasn't saying you shouldn't have asked, only explaining why it is that the code is as it is and referring to the constant comments in this forum by many people and by the devs themselves as to the difficulty of finding the resources for such projects. After a while steeped in the forums it becomes a) easy to forget that not everyone is familiar with the cycles of discussion and b) wearying to retype "common knowledge" over and over in addressing repeat cycles. That doesn't mean people new to the forums and discussions are going to understand the shorthand replies.

So again, sorry, I intended no slight to you at all and regret that it came across as such.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > they also block you from buying LW episodes when you already have it, that should apply to anything you already bought and unlocks account wide. (so also outfits, gliders, finishers and armor skins)

>

> on the other hand you are not blocked from buying more bank tabs than you are allowed to have

and until such time we are allowed more, they should be blocked.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > they also block you from buying LW episodes when you already have it, that should apply to anything you already bought and unlocks account wide. (so also outfits, gliders, finishers and armor skins)

> >

> > on the other hand you are not blocked from buying more bank tabs than you are allowed to have

>

> and until such time we are allowed more, they should be blocked.

But what if they're on sale, and you want to buy some in anticipation of another max tab expansion? Restricting that does just as much harm as it does good, but mostly punishes people being forward thinking to protect impulsive people from themselves.

Recipes are just a QOL thing, since having a dup recipe doesn't put your account or gold value in jeopardy; the vast majority of which can be avoided with an ounce of attention. I much rather see a properly planned QOL pass or restructuring to improve the system as whole, rather layer upon layer of band-aids that disrupt the option of a proper revamp.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > they also block you from buying LW episodes when you already have it, that should apply to anything you already bought and unlocks account wide. (so also outfits, gliders, finishers and armor skins)

> > >

> > > on the other hand you are not blocked from buying more bank tabs than you are allowed to have

> >

> > and until such time we are allowed more, they should be blocked.

>

> But what if they're on sale, and you want to buy some in anticipation of another max tab expansion? Restricting that does just as much harm as it does good, but mostly punishes people being forward thinking to protect impulsive people from themselves.

>

this might sound stupid but it's better to protect impulsive people then allowing forward thinking, both for time saving and in a business perspective.

> Recipes are just a QOL thing, since having a dup recipe doesn't put your account or gold value in jeopardy; the vast majority of which can be avoided with an ounce of attention. I much rather see a properly planned QOL pass or restructuring to improve the system as whole, rather layer upon layer of band-aids that disrupt the option of a proper revamp.

i also want better QoL improvement, but we have to start somewhere.