Serpent's Ire event

I suppose this has been brought up already, but I will do it regardless.

What is with this event? It is fairly difficult to do with the overall level of PVE effort people make in open world. I have started doing the event again to complete the golem backpack and for days on end we were unable to complete the CC section on the event. Unless you have 70+ people who all know what the break bar is the event fails. And just having 70+ people is a task in itself.

Thoughts?

Your only chance is to find an organised group who does it daily or weekly. On EU, that is Open Community who rarely fail it. But, yes it has been discussed to death and there has never to my knowledge been any indication a change is due for it. Its integration into the golem backpack was likely the closest in order to encourage participation.

I find the Open world population to be a walking paradox. No matter what the event is, they are somehow the least capable in the one aspect an events deviates from the standard "DPS it to death" model. What makes it even more ironic is how they can get the SAME mechanic wrong between events that have polar opposite results. Like how no one ever puts out a reasonable amount of CC in fights were break bars are important (Shatter Crystals, Serpent's Ire, Keep Lords, VB Bosses, even some open world chaps)..... but the moment you're in a fight where metering CC is important, they unload all their biggest CCs whenever possible (Gerrant and Modre-mouth).

Then theres the simple things.... like not standing in AOE circles, and killing adds with collateral damage. And god forbid an actual mechanic such as Teq Scales, Jormag ice spikes, SB portals, and Bounty instabilities.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> I find the Open world population to be a walking paradox. No matter what the event is, they are somehow the least capable in the one aspect an events deviates from the standard "DPS it to death" model. What makes it even more ironic is how they can get the SAME mechanic wrong between events that have polar opposite results. Like how no one ever puts out a reasonable amount of CC in fights were break bars are important (Shatter Crystals, Serpent's Ire, Keep Lords, VB Bosses, even some open world chaps)..... but the moment you're in a fight where metering CC is important, they unload all their biggest CCs whenever possible (Gerrant and Modre-mouth).

>

> Then theres the simple things.... like not standing in AOE circles, and killing adds with collateral damage. And god forbid an actual mechanic such as Teq Scales, Jormag ice spikes, SB portals, and Bounty instabilities.

To be honest Keep Lords have RIDICULOUS scaling and defenders scale up the boss as well, so 50 people need to break a bar scaled for 100.

I agree though. Zergs seem to be entirely made out of brainlets and 1 1 1 1 spammers

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > I find the Open world population to be a walking paradox. No matter what the event is, they are somehow the least capable in the one aspect an events deviates from the standard "DPS it to death" model. What makes it even more ironic is how they can get the SAME mechanic wrong between events that have polar opposite results. Like how no one ever puts out a reasonable amount of CC in fights were break bars are important (Shatter Crystals, Serpent's Ire, Keep Lords, VB Bosses, even some open world chaps)..... but the moment you're in a fight where metering CC is important, they unload all their biggest CCs whenever possible (Gerrant and Modre-mouth).

> >

> > Then theres the simple things.... like not standing in AOE circles, and killing adds with collateral damage. And god forbid an actual mechanic such as Teq Scales, Jormag ice spikes, SB portals, and Bounty instabilities.

>

> To be honest Keep Lords have RIDICULOUS scaling and defenders scale up the boss as well, so 50 people need to break a bar scaled for 100.

>

> I agree though. Zergs seem to be entirely made out of brainlets and 1 1 1 1 spammers

But even then, in easy tower cap, most zergs can damage a tower lord 30% faster then they can CC it. Its utterly bizarre that this has become a regular thing, when it doesn't take much CC to break them.

When there are other meta events that offer bigger payouts than another, you'll always see people do the other ones first. Istan, Kourna, hell, you can even find Auric Basin's meta event being done and completed. I've been trying to do Serpent's Ire for the golem backpack and Maws of Torment for the funerary gloves achievement. Either I'm not on when people actually complete them or when I'm on, people have no interest in doing it because of lack of rewards. Honestly, if it offered even half the reward that Istan does, I wouldn't be surprised to see it being done like clockwork. There's a reason why me and my friends call the Domain of Vabbi, the forgettable map.

It doesn't need 70 people. It can be done with about 15-20 (or less even). It does require a commander who has done it before & people willing to adapt their build as needed. It's not hard, it's just that people don't know the mechanics and why they matter. Even Silverwastes (and Istan) can fail, but because they are so incredibly lucrative, they attract plenty of people who take the time to make sure they know what's going on. Serpent's Ire offers pretty weak guaranteed loot and only the chance to get some high-value items. (This is the flipside of have major farming events.)

I strongly believe that normal map meta events (I would not count Triple Trouble to be a normal thing though) should be possible to achieve when a fair amount of people joins and is willing to actively participate.

e.g. the Shatterer can be killed if people show up and try by melting him down in time. The extra break bar achievements can be done with coordination and organization.

The Serpent's Ire I have never seen succeed. Waiting for a chance to join a community effort once every week (Open Community IIRC does it one on a Thursday) should not be the advice we should need to succeed.

This dynamic event needs to be changed.

The problem is, reward is next to nothing. That is all. Community learns more then enough, where there is something shiny. Give the meta a shiny, even a chance of a shiny drop and see how people getting it done by-the-book. Bare in mind we talking of community that figured out about ships in Palawadan in under 3 runs and never fails it, even after it got bugged and never was fixed.

P.S. Love this simple guids btw

> @"The Night Fox.6018" said:

> It's been discussed to death on the forums. THE hardest and least rewarding meta in the entire game. Still no patch or rework in sight.

Hmm? Have you ever done Triple Trouble? It laughs at serpents ire xD

It is barely the same difficulty as any other HoT meta.

More people is the key, for sure.

If you have a tag, it is possible to host the event yourself during primetime hours. It is just really hard to do, since you'll get a lot of people who don't cooperate. I've made a few [posts](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/592660#Comment_592660 "https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/592660#Comment_592660") on the matter of how to accomplish this.

Lately the best tactic I've seen is a three commander split. You have two commanders who have the bulk of the zerg handle the south-east and south-west corners, and then you have a third commander dedicated to CC handle the center-north point. The CC group can be an offshoot of one of the other comms if you can't get a third person to stand and deliver. The hardest part with doing this strat is getting the pugs to split evenly, since all they'll do is dogpile one commander then run around randomly.

Basically unless it's changed, the short is it's all about numbers. You have to meet the required number of people to even have a chance at attempting it. Best during peak times as the bigger the group the better the odds if many mess up as there's a lot of lead way. Good luck, it can take some patience. Should be doable with a large group. Only about once a week could I find the right numbers to succeed, so patience is a must.

> @"Tzarakiel.7490" said:

> In an open world event you can realistically only expect around 30% of the participants to do the mechanics properly. The Issue with Serpents Ire is that it expects ALL players to do the mechanics right.

That's not true. You only need a solid core of people. It helps a lot if the commander actual leads by explaining how the event works, but I've seen it done without that, too.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> The problem is, reward is next to nothing. That is all. Community learns more then enough, where there is something shiny. Give the meta a shiny, even a chance of a shiny drop and see how people getting it done by-the-book. Bare in mind we talking of community that figured out about ships in Palawadan in under 3 runs and never fails it, even after it got bugged and never was fixed.

>

Except it does have the chance of a rare shiny drop...unfortunately it's a super rare drop and maybe only a half dozen people have gotten it, which is another reason why no one wants to do it.