Mysterious Voice

Arden.7480

There's a severe lack of information to dig into around the Fractal, which keeps it mysterious, but there's very few things to connect it to.

You can take The Voice in many different directions, there's the possible connection to the Astral Creatures hanging out in the Dwarven Ruins in the Northwest corner of Desert Highlands, as well as the language the talking spider speaks in using the exact same cipher used for a side-quest from GW1, that took place in Varajar Fells.

We never did find out everything about that side-quest either, and there we met a character named Ephemeral Spirit. It's a loose tie, but curious anyhow.

> @"Musaroxy.2874" said:

> There's a severe lack of information to dig into around the Fractal, which keeps it mysterious, but there's very few things to connect it to.

> You can take The Voice in many different directions, there's the possible connection to the Astral Creatures hanging out in the Dwarven Ruins in the Northwest corner of Desert Highlands, as well as the language the talking spider speaks in using the exact same cipher used for a side-quest from GW1, that took place in Varajar Fells.

> We never did find out everything about that side-quest either, and there we met a character named Ephemeral Spirit. It's a loose tie, but curious anyhow.

Some people thought Dhuum because of a Voice in the Void, however Dhuum wasn’t imprisoned in a Dwarven area and we see the place of Dhuum sealing in Hall of Chains.

I went back into the GW1 dungeons, to hopefully find some sort of clue with who we are dealing with. Couldn’t really find anything.

The dwarves have a long-standing penchant for entrapping demons and demonic entities. Some notable GW2 examples being [Lord Ignius the Eternal](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lord_Ignius_the_Eternal) and the [Ancient Creature](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ancient_Creature), both encountered in Lornar's Pass. I wouldn't link it to the astral creatures as @"Musaroxy.2874" does, though.

About the "talking spider", it should be noted that the moment Kay mentions the chill in the air and the spider first speaks, it gains a death shroud-like appearance, becoming enshrouded in darkness, and the voice of the spider is the same as The Voice's voice. So it isn't so much that the spider is talking, but rather that the spider is possessed just as Torin later is. The only speaker of the Ephemeral Spirit's language in that fractal is The Voice (excluding translator Kay of course).

It should also be noted that "The Voice" is a pretty common powerful demonic entity naming schematic. In GW1 we met demons and powerful spectrals such as The Hunger, The Darkness, The Hunter, etc. etc. Of them, there were two that were spectral: The Fury and The Blasphemy.

The only thing that seems exceptionally interesting is that The Voice speaks the Ephemeral Spirit's language.

Interestingly the spiders use the plural 'we' (translated spider phrases into Common: "Answer us!" and "Rockhewn [i.e. dwarves] trapped us!") but after they've been defeated, the now disembodied Voice uses the singular 'I' as the party advances deeper into Deepstone and while it's possessing Torin ("I see closer draw." and "Can you hear my song echo through the darkness?"). I wonder if this change of pronouns suggests that there are multiple Voice entities trapped in Deepstone, and we simply face one of them as the end boss, or if the Voice is simply referring to its kin, who may or may not be trapped elsewhere, in a general sense. :)

• 2 weeks later...

> @"gimo.3281" said:

> Vizier Khilbron shaped shifted from human to demon. He can probably shapeshift to a dwarf/asura.

Lich, not demon, and the fact that his human form was apparently the one he had in life makes me wonder... but regardless, what are you suggesting? I haven't played the Fractal yet, but so far as I'm aware, there are no dwarves or asura in there.

The fractal was supposed to be abandoned, Torin and Kay were treasure hunters so they traveled to the ruins of Deldrimor.

The weirdest thing about the last fractals: The Shattered Observatory and Deepstone is that they dont feel like they were in past, most like they are happening right now.

The weird Harbringer of Woe, The Voice and talking spider.

Very interesting and scary, like something weird would be happening in the Space and in Deldrimor.