Scythe Skins for Greatswords

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> > @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

> >

> > The same could be said for greatswords themselves. IRL, they are used more like polearms. In GW2 (and most fantasy settings for that matter) they are used like a woodcutters axe.

> >

> > So, realism already being damned, bring on the scythe skins.

>

> Where were greatswords used like polearms?

Yeah, that comment confuses me too.

I can see the low guard being compared to a polearm/spear, but my tiny experience with longsword focused on a slashing/chopping motion from the high guard.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > Nobody else uses it as a melee weapon, and nobody *cuts* the foe with it. If we really want to go down the realism route, it should be its own weapon type, and we should, as noted, be cutting the foes off at the ankles (knees for Inquest foes, of course) like they were wheat, barley, oats, rye, or merely long grass.

>

> I guess Reapers _kinda_ do while in their Shroud form?

Kinda, as you say, although they do that even if the underlying weapon is Scepter/Focus, say.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

That's funny because Loyalist Dervishes in istan using greatsword animations while wielding a Sunscythe skinned weapon.

Sure there would be some animations that don't perfectly fit, but it's nothing we don't have yet ingame. There are several skins that don't fit / look weird at some animations. Every played Daredevil/Revenant with that monster of a Hydra Staff? Just for example.

All in all, if somethin look too weird, ppl just don't take that combo. Why would you force yourself to wear something you don't like?

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > The only thing I can think of is a Mesmer with hands outstretched and a scythe spinning around like a plane propeller in front of them. What other greatsword attacks would look especially silly with a scythe instead?

>

> Warr 2

As long as the pointy end of the Scythe keeps pointing the right way it would be fine.

Like you would an two-handed axe.

if ppl are gonna complain about animations it's gonna be fun watching all the other weapons we currently have that needs new animations because of this complaint.

let's start with logic, how can a piece of window be a sword and not break after the first motion of force.

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> > @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

> >

> > The same could be said for greatswords themselves. IRL, they are used more like polearms. In GW2 (and most fantasy settings for that matter) they are used like a woodcutters axe.

> >

> > So, realism already being damned, bring on the scythe skins.

>

> Where were greatswords used like polearms?

Just shorthand to imply it was used an agile weapon with an emphasis on reach, aka, me being lazy. Regardless, it's absolutely NOT the heavy chopping dead weight it's always depicted as.

Here's some real GS moves derived from historical combat manuals.

> @"misterman.1530" said:

> If a reaper used a Scythe-skinned Greatsword, it would only take a second for any player to realize that it wasn't a staff - he'd see the reaper's animation slow down to a crawl and could then easily step back (or to the side) once to evade the attack. Slowly. No need to dodge.

There's another one, Reaper GS 3 would look very silly with a Scythe

• 8 months later...

Wouldn't a scythe look weird with current GS animations? I'm just imagining a warrior flailing a stick about with "Hundred Blades", or a ranger potentially "bearhugging" with the blunt end of the polearm.

I mean, if Anet could find a way to make it work, I guess it'd be kinda cool?

> @"derd.6413" said:

> only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

Dark Souls want to speak with you. btw. one of the best weapons in the game.

When playing with my Reaper i wish i could change the appearance of my GS to a scythe.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> Wouldn't a scythe look weird with current GS animations? I'm just imagining a warrior flailing a stick about with "Hundred Blades", or a ranger potentially "bearhugging" with the blunt end of the polearm.

yes it would probably only work with some classes. for example Reaper.

But on the other hand. you can change your sword to a rapier skin. some animations doesnt make sense with a Rapier.

> @"Llethander.3972" said:

> Here's your reason:

>

> PvP. Many aspects of the game are meant to give opponents information regarding your character so they can have an idea of what to expect. Scythe skins are for staves meaning that any time someone sees a character using a Scythe they know to expect staff-based skills. Give Scythe skins to Greatswords and now you can have a Druid running around with a Greatsword that could actually be a Staff and the enemy wouldn't know until they Swoop in and try to drop a Maul bomb on them.

Any player taking pvp remotely seriously is going to use Standardized Enemy Models. They aren't seeing what GS skin you're using already.

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

>

> Nobody would use a scythe as a weapon against anything but wheat, if you wanna bring the argument down that route. The weapon(s) know as “war scythes” were more akin to halberds or poleaxes than what most people think of as a scythe.

>

> Thankfully, GW2 is a fantasy game, not a realistic medieval combat sim. Using a traditional scythe with Greatsword animations is no dumber than with the Staff melee animations: it is equally dumb from a realism point of view.

>

> Which means equally viable in a fantasy game such as this. Rule of Cool.

>

no, then you have never seen the movie barbarossa (sword of war) from 2009

based on real historical events

watch from the 1h48m 10s mark till 1h50m ish mark

tell me they did not use peasants, in peasant carts with scythes to lay waste to the knights of emperor barbarossa

> @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

>

> Dark Souls want to speak with you. btw. one of the best weapons in the game.

> When playing with my Reaper i wish i could change the appearance of my GS to a scythe.

>

do you honestly think anybody here wants a scythe skin that looks like the scythe from dark souls? secondly the scythe is a halberd, not a gs

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> >

> > Dark Souls want to speak with you. btw. one of the best weapons in the game.

> > When playing with my Reaper i wish i could change the appearance of my GS to a scythe.

> >

>

> do you honestly think anybody here wants a scythe skin that looks like the scythe from dark souls? secondly the scythe is a halberd, not a gs

>

what who talked here about the look?

you quoted the part yourself what my answer was about.

yes in reallife nobody would fight with scythe. But thats a fantasy game.

> @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

> > >

> > > Dark Souls want to speak with you. btw. one of the best weapons in the game.

> > > When playing with my Reaper i wish i could change the appearance of my GS to a scythe.

> > >

> >

> > do you honestly think anybody here wants a scythe skin that looks like the scythe from dark souls? secondly the scythe is a halberd, not a gs

> >

>

> what who talked here about the look?

> you quoted the part yourself what my answer was about.

>

> yes in reallife nobody would fight with scythe. But thats a fantasy game.

>

i'm fine with scythes, i'm not fine with scythe GS (because that's beyond stupid)

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> >

> > Dark Souls want to speak with you. btw. one of the best weapons in the game.

> > When playing with my Reaper i wish i could change the appearance of my GS to a scythe.

> >

>

> do you honestly think anybody here wants a scythe skin that looks like the scythe from dark souls? secondly the scythe is a halberd, not a gs

>

>

Great Scythe from Dark Souls looks just like GW2s Scythe Staff Skin.

I think a hammer skin that is a scthe is far more likely than a greatsword, just because daredevil and revanent staff animations actually are built with hammer animations as a starting point.

I get the appeal of melee scythe and the frustration of your only options being daredevil and rev

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

> > > > >

> > > > > Dark Souls want to speak with you. btw. one of the best weapons in the game.

> > > > > When playing with my Reaper i wish i could change the appearance of my GS to a scythe.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > do you honestly think anybody here wants a scythe skin that looks like the scythe from dark souls? secondly the scythe is a halberd, not a gs

> > > >

> > >

> > > what who talked here about the look?

> > > you quoted the part yourself what my answer was about.

> > >

> > > yes in reallife nobody would fight with scythe. But thats a fantasy game.

> > >

> >

> > i'm fine with scythes, i'm not fine with scythe GS (because that's beyond stupid)

>

> it's beyond stupid to limit others because you don't want it.

so hacks are allowed then