Do they abandon the expansion model?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"SloRules.3560" said:

> > 9 episodes is a minimum of 18 months, that's too long.

>

> Well how long it is depends on the kind of content we get with it. Maybe Season 5 will be bigger than any other Season and more "expansion-like"

Alternatively, It could be smaller and more focused on story like LS2. Something small to fill in a gap, set up the next conflict, and tie up a few loose ends. It seems like it's too early to speculate when we're possibly not even halfway through season 4.

> @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"SloRules.3560" said:

> > > 9 episodes is a minimum of 18 months, that's too long.

> >

> > Well how long it is depends on the kind of content we get with it. Maybe Season 5 will be bigger than any other Season and more "expansion-like"

>

> Alternatively, It could be smaller and more focused on story like LS2. Something small to fill in a gap, set up the next conflict, and tie up a few loose ends. It seems like it's too early to speculate when we're possibly not even halfway through season 4.

It's never too early to speculate on the game dying!

Personally, I prefer the Living World model, though I do like getting new e-specs and armor skins.

> > @"SloRules.3560" said:

> > 9 episodes is a minimum of 18 months, that's too long.

>

> Well how long it is depends on the kind of content we get with it. Maybe Season 5 will be bigger than any other Season and more "expansion-like"

Or it can be small and we get expac 3 fall 2019

> Remember there was a huge content drought after Heart of Thorns that could easily fit a Season. This time there is no such gap, which means they need to fill those months with another Season. It's way too soon for another expansion. Plus we don't have any kind of content that leads into an expansion, we are still in Elona and I seriously doubt the next expansion will be in Elona (no space left).

>

> The rest of Season 4 will be about beating Kralk and exploring the rest of Elona. That's an appropriate Season ending right there. Then we'll move on to Season 5 which will introduce the new threat that we'll deal with in Expansion 3. Season 5 will take place outside Elona, maybe introducing something new that will lead to the next expansion.

>

> That's my take on it.

Not necessarily. They could instead go for a longer S2 style of lw season, multiple seasons are necessarily needed.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > Remember there was a huge content drought after Heart of Thorns that could easily fit a Season. This time there is no such gap, which means they need to fill those months with another Season. It's way too soon for another expansion. Plus we don't have any kind of content that leads into an expansion, we are still in Elona and I seriously doubt the next expansion will be in Elona (no space left).

> >

> > The rest of Season 4 will be about beating Kralk and exploring the rest of Elona. That's an appropriate Season ending right there. Then we'll move on to Season 5 which will introduce the new threat that we'll deal with in Expansion 3. Season 5 will take place outside Elona, maybe introducing something new that will lead to the next expansion.

> >

> > That's my take on it.

>

> Not necessarily. They could instead go for a longer S2 style of lw season, multiple seasons are necessarily needed.

That’s really just a semantic difference. Maybe it makes sense for the narrative to have a season finale followed by a new season. The only real difference is how they episodes are numbered but ending a season does have a certain climactic feeling to it.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"rylien.3824" said:

> > I think so too ... in my opinion it's over expansions

> > Good bye Cantha ? :'(

>

> Oh please... How can people seriously believe that? :s It makes no sense at all, really, when you think about it. Neither financially for ANet, nor based on any statement or information that has been released.

>

> You guys are panicking over nothing.

Well, there _is_ the time factor. At least 4-6 months to end season 4. 12-18 months for season 5 (assuming it will have 6 episodes, as previous seasons). When we add up some usual delays due to things like christmas (and some break between seasons), we're looking at next expac no earlier than 2 years from _now_. So, over 3 years since PoF. That's quite a bit higher than the time between HoT and PoF. That's why some people ar getting worried.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"rylien.3824" said:

> > > I think so too ... in my opinion it's over expansions

> > > Good bye Cantha ? :'(

> >

> > Oh please... How can people seriously believe that? :s It makes no sense at all, really, when you think about it. Neither financially for ANet, nor based on any statement or information that has been released.

> >

> > You guys are panicking over nothing.

>

> Well, there _is_ the time factor. At least 4-6 months to end season 4. 12-18 months for season 5 (assuming it will have 6 episodes, as previous seasons). When we add up some usual delays due to things like christmas (and some break between seasons), we're looking at next expac no earlier than 2 years from _now_. So, over 3 years since PoF. That's quite a bit higher than the time between HoT and PoF. That's why some people ar getting worried.

THIS! 3 years is too long. and i just bought some new character slot for new elites... i have to wait for 2 years...

well... hopefully the game still healthy in next 2 years

I don't think we can assume anything. But at this point what is an expansion anyway? New zones, new story and new elite specs pretty much covers it, plus new masteries. I don't really have an issue how this stuff is delivered, as long as it's delivered.

Are we saying they can't deliver elite specs within the bounds of a living story? We already know they can deliver mastery lines because they have. And of course, new stories and new zones are par for the course.

We got PoF with mounts, and they turned out great, but the rest of PoF, some people seem to think is weak anyway. So what's the difference if we get our expansions for free from logging in, or buy it every two years?

We know from financials the game is fine right now. It will probably continue to be fine, but at the end of the day, no one can predict the future. That said, I predict we'll get new masteries, new elite specs, new zones and new story. In which case why does it actually matter how Anet delivers it?

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> I don't think we can assume anything. But at this point what is an expansion anyway? New zones, new story and new elite specs pretty much covers it, plus new masteries. I don't really have an issue how this stuff is delivered, as long as it's delivered.

>

> Are we saying they can't deliver elite specs within the bounds of a living story? We already know they can deliver mastery lines because they have. And of course, new stories and new zones are par for the course.

>

> We got PoF with mounts, and they turned out great, but the rest of PoF, some people seem to think is weak anyway. So what's the difference if we get our expansions for free from logging in, or buy it every two years?

>

> We know from financials the game is fine right now. It will probably continue to be fine, but at the end of the day, no one can predict the future. That said, I predict we'll get new masteries, new elite specs, new zones and new story. In which case why does it actually matter how Anet delivers it?

I'd say it would be unwise to release elite specs with free updates instead of paid expansion.

> @"segman.3560" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > I don't think we can assume anything. But at this point what is an expansion anyway? New zones, new story and new elite specs pretty much covers it, plus new masteries. I don't really have an issue how this stuff is delivered, as long as it's delivered.

> >

> > Are we saying they can't deliver elite specs within the bounds of a living story? We already know they can deliver mastery lines because they have. And of course, new stories and new zones are par for the course.

> >

> > We got PoF with mounts, and they turned out great, but the rest of PoF, some people seem to think is weak anyway. So what's the difference if we get our expansions for free from logging in, or buy it every two years?

> >

> > We know from financials the game is fine right now. It will probably continue to be fine, but at the end of the day, no one can predict the future. That said, I predict we'll get new masteries, new elite specs, new zones and new story. In which case why does it actually matter how Anet delivers it?

>

> I'd say it would be unwise to release elite specs with free updates instead of paid expansion.

Why?

Expansions are only released once every two years, in the fall. its only been a year since PoF, we have another year to go.

They have said already that LW and expansions are developed completely separately (they only share story and basic features), so the state of the Living World has little if anything to do with an expansion, it just means it will probably be built upon PoF even after expo release.

If anything it hints that they might fork the story like they did in LS1.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> Expansions are only released once every two years

Give me anet quote where they ever stated that is the schedule. You won't find one.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > I don't think we can assume anything. But at this point what is an expansion anyway? New zones, new story and new elite specs pretty much covers it, plus new masteries. I don't really have an issue how this stuff is delivered, as long as it's delivered.

> > >

> > > Are we saying they can't deliver elite specs within the bounds of a living story? We already know they can deliver mastery lines because they have. And of course, new stories and new zones are par for the course.

> > >

> > > We got PoF with mounts, and they turned out great, but the rest of PoF, some people seem to think is weak anyway. So what's the difference if we get our expansions for free from logging in, or buy it every two years?

> > >

> > > We know from financials the game is fine right now. It will probably continue to be fine, but at the end of the day, no one can predict the future. That said, I predict we'll get new masteries, new elite specs, new zones and new story. In which case why does it actually matter how Anet delivers it?

> >

> > I'd say it would be unwise to release elite specs with free updates instead of paid expansion.

>

> Why?

Money.

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > > Expansions are only released once every two years

> >

> > Give me anet quote where they ever stated that is the schedule. You won't find one.

> >

> Check the release dates of HoT and PoF. they may not stick to it, but its been consistent so far.

Huh? Heart of Thorns was released 3+ years after original release and Path of Fire was released 2 years after Heart of Thorns. There is nothing consistent about their release dates.

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> >

> > Give me anet quote where they ever stated that is the schedule. You won't find one.

> >

> Check the release dates of HoT and PoF. they may not stick to it, but its been consistent so far.

So you don't have one :)

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> >

> >

You can hardly say the time between xpacs has been consitent when there's only been one completed timespan that qualifies

> @"segman.3560" said:

> > @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > Expansions are only released once every two years

>

> Give me anet quote where they ever stated that is the schedule. You won't find one.

>

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > I don't think we can assume anything. But at this point what is an expansion anyway? New zones, new story and new elite specs pretty much covers it, plus new masteries. I don't really have an issue how this stuff is delivered, as long as it's delivered.

> > > >

> > > > Are we saying they can't deliver elite specs within the bounds of a living story? We already know they can deliver mastery lines because they have. And of course, new stories and new zones are par for the course.

> > > >

> > > > We got PoF with mounts, and they turned out great, but the rest of PoF, some people seem to think is weak anyway. So what's the difference if we get our expansions for free from logging in, or buy it every two years?

> > > >

> > > > We know from financials the game is fine right now. It will probably continue to be fine, but at the end of the day, no one can predict the future. That said, I predict we'll get new masteries, new elite specs, new zones and new story. In which case why does it actually matter how Anet delivers it?

> > >

> > > I'd say it would be unwise to release elite specs with free updates instead of paid expansion.

> >

> > Why?

>

> Money.

Well, some people would argue that giving away stuff can get people into the game as well, and those people will spend on the gem store, or some of them will. Which will be more, no one can say. If they do go that way, they'll have reason to believe they can make as much that way as selling an expansion.

> @"Lasiurus.4067" said:

> Dont panic guys : I really hope for an expansion & you can be pretty sure there will be, when you see Anet income thanks to expacs.

> I guess (hope ?) that the Living Story Season 5 will be shorter & will lead directly into a massive new expansion :)

An expansion is spike income, while the skins and similar systems (like housing) will generate more consistent revenue with fewer resources.

I just hope they don't flood us with these things at the cost of rare expansion releases, because as we all know a living season has never offered so much content as an expansion. But everything is a gues right now

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> >

> >

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > I don't think we can assume anything. But at this point what is an expansion anyway? New zones, new story and new elite specs pretty much covers it, plus new masteries. I don't really have an issue how this stuff is delivered, as long as it's delivered.

> > > > >

> > > > > Are we saying they can't deliver elite specs within the bounds of a living story? We already know they can deliver mastery lines because they have. And of course, new stories and new zones are par for the course.

> > > > >

> > > > > We got PoF with mounts, and they turned out great, but the rest of PoF, some people seem to think is weak anyway. So what's the difference if we get our expansions for free from logging in, or buy it every two years?

> > > > >

> > > > > We know from financials the game is fine right now. It will probably continue to be fine, but at the end of the day, no one can predict the future. That said, I predict we'll get new masteries, new elite specs, new zones and new story. In which case why does it actually matter how Anet delivers it?

> > > >

> > > > I'd say it would be unwise to release elite specs with free updates instead of paid expansion.

> > >

> > > Why?

> >

> > Money.

>

> Well, some people would argue that giving away stuff can get people into the game as well, and those people will spend on the gem store, or some of them will. Which will be more, no one can say. If they do go that way, they'll have reason to believe they can make as much that way as selling an expansion.

Unless they start selling power creep via gemstore I don't think they can skip B2P model.