Novelties: Why no slots for food and utilities?

I am baffled: why did they add slots for novelties for fluff but actually no food? This has been asked for for ages. It would be much more comfortable than alway having to open your inventory and find the items.

Or why don't you just let os choose ourselves what we want to drag/drop into these 4 additional slots? I just don't understand...

Because food would not work in the Wardrobe? Well, it would work, but players would only need acquire it once...or....it would have to be set up to use something like Transmutation charges. And then, mats would no longer be needed; Chefs would not be as useful, a whole new system would have to be set up which doesn't use the Mount/Wardrobe mechanic, etc., etc.

That's my guess as to why, anyway.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Because food would not work in the Wardrobe? Well, it would work, but players would only need acquire it once...or....it would have to be set up to use something like Transmutation charges. And then, mats would no longer be needed; Chefs would not be as useful, a whole new system would have to be set up which doesn't use the Mount/Wardrobe mechanic, etc., etc.

>

> That's my guess as to why, anyway.

You could set it up like finishers where some can be unlocked infinitely and for some you have charges.

> @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> I am baffled: why did they add slots for novelties for fluff but actually no food? This has been asked for for ages. It would be much more comfortable than alway having to open your inventory and find the items.

>

> Or why don't you just let os choose ourselves what we want to drag/drop into these 4 additional slots? I just don't understand...

The two have nothing to do with each other. This isn't adding an arbitrary slot for a new feature, this is extending the functionality of the mount selection system, combined with the wardrobe.

Because food and utilities have gameplay relevance and are mostly earned by in-game activities. They are, basically, "game items", so they're part of what inventory slot limitations exist to restrict. Novelties are toys that don't have much to do with the core game loop -- and they're mostly gemstore items. Once space starts running low, does ArenaNet want somebody deciding that they don't really need to drop 600 gems on a chair when they could use that slot for another piece of ascended gear that has more relevance to success in clearing content?

It's not a great solution but I like the idea of adding hotkeys for shared inventory slots. That way players can use them as a pseudo hotkey bar where they can place food, utilities, gizmos or even weapons to swap. Though I'd still prefer a spot on the UI where we can place 2 or 3 of items for convenient usage.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Have to be careful as this would just be a slippery slope. If we had food and utilities, then what else next? That’s kind of happens when we get things like this as it just opens the floodgates for people wanting more.

Well, there's really only Nourishments (food), Enhancements (potions, sharpening stones and so on) and Boosters left...

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > Have to be careful as this would just be a slippery slope. If we had food and utilities, then what else next? That’s kind of happens when we get things like this as it just opens the floodgates for people wanting more.

Gameplay and QoL improvements. How dreadful! :skull:

Besides, we *want* a lot of things. We don't get 'em. :P

And y'know what, that's perfectly fine. :) As long as we have things we want, ANet can deliver little surprises like this novelty feature. Hopefully next on the list is build templates and those food/utility auto-consume slots (and playable Tengu and Cantha and underwater mounts and personal housing and an end to the CC/OHKO fetish and...)

My take for a way to handle this:

Have one extra keybind slot that's for any "consumable" item. You can specify up to five consumable items in your inventory and those are available to swap between just like the mount slot. All it would do is cut out a bit of inventory fiddling when it's time to use a nourishment or enhancement item, which seems like a decent enough thing to me.

I like the idea. I would like it even better if we could set a stack of food to " keep consuming this till it runs out" through a rightclick toggle. I would use this toggle with large stacks of cheap food that give small bonuses(20% magic find, that sort of stuff), while I am exploring and can't be bothered with maxing out my Condition damage or some. Would give some use to all that useless food that is not "meta" . It would give me the feeling that at least I am buffing myself a bit, on the cheap, without having to bother clicking that stack all the time. Could even give a small boost to the Food/Ingredient Economy.

I always found the Food/Chef feature in GW2 somewhat lacking. At least 0-79 level gear has its use through salvaging.

I like several of these ideas. I rarely use consumables because I just can't be bothered to do it. I do understand the not adding food and utilities to an account based finisher type inventory because we have to us our bags for something. However I certainly wouldn't object! And if they chose to do it, it could be expanded to increase their gem sales by creating food and utility recipes that have special effects in addition to standard stat bonuses, be that particle effects, sound effects, or fun tonic like qualities (like giant feet or something) that lasts for the duration of the food. Honestly I would become a did collector and I'm sure I'm not the only one. However if I had to choose I would rather have storage for consumable (not endless or unbreakable) tonics and novelties over food. Also for pretty much anything gem store. My box's of fun, ticket scraps, revive orbs, statuettes, bank accesses, etc. If these items didn't take up inventory people would probably be more likely to buy them. Especially since they would be accessible account wide, which would increase their rate of consumption. No forgetting it on other characters, just use it!

The suggestions for the buttons, hotkeys are great. I kinda like the new novelty system, but also feel that it should be x slots if anything not one of each. I'm lazy, maybe I only like to sit! So I should be able to slot 4 chairs! With the new novelty system, requests to expand it abound, which is great, but I think it might be wiser then to create one or two slot buttons that have 6-10 slots each where we can put anything we want. Just right click the item, either in your bag or in the appropriate account collection page, and select add to page 1 or add to page 2. Then in the Hero panel you can select page one or two and put the things in those pages in the slots for that page and organize it how you want. Hell if someone wanted they could put a second set of gear and weapons on page one and food and bank access and novelties on page 2. Then it's a easy as using the new novelties button is and it doesn't matter if it's in some account collection or in your bag. And if you run out it just greys out and can't be clicked.

Using pages that way would also make it easier to change what is in the slots because you can put whatever you want on those pages. So maybe you have 29 items on page one. You could slot only 7 if you wanted, and if you wanted to change them you only have to look through 29 items, all in one area instead of hopping around all your various collections and inventories. Pages would be character specific. You could even add minis for quick swaps!

I also like the idea of being able to auto consume items upon expiration. This would be useful for food, utilities, boosters and tonics. Being able to right click on the and set them for auto consume while be awesome. Only one food and utility obviously, not sure if you can have multiple boosters running, but if so one of every thing can have at the same time. Maybe a consumable page like novelties right now where it's one of each in the slots, but for auto consume.

Better question - why no way to turn off that little box on the right of the skill bar? I never use "novelties". Never. I have some novelty items (kites and some weird thing that makes my character hover, all colored red) but never use them. If I could sell them, or salvage them, I would. I don't buy tonics, don't want tonics, and if I can sell those, I would.

So how about the ability to turn that box off (hide it) for those of us who want to play Guild Wars 2 and not some strange version of Dress-up Barbie?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > I am baffled: why did they add slots for novelties for fluff but actually no food? This has been asked for for ages. It would be much more comfortable than alway having to open your inventory and find the items.

> >

> > Or why don't you just let os choose ourselves what we want to drag/drop into these 4 additional slots? I just don't understand...

>

> The two have nothing to do with each other. This isn't adding an arbitrary slot for a new feature, this is extending the functionality of the mount selection system, combined with the wardrobe.

That may be. To redefine, the question could be more general: Why introduce some fluff conformity first instead of real utility/quality of life? Why not add food slots in the first place? Or even: why not add optional side- or toolbars with tons of slots where you could bind virtually every usable item? Many, many MMO have this and I can't see, why GW2 doesn't have this feature after 6 years.

You can argue that Anet doesn't want to 'spoil' their UI and that the recognition factor was their idea first when they conceptualised the game. But even then, they added these novelty slots, they could do it with food as well.