Broken Deadeye

Nidome.1365

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

>

>

> It is balanced.

> The issue is how unblockables work on this game, since theres no counter to unblockables out of stealth...

>

>

> I still die to holosmiths uptime of unblockables w/o mines (it still bites me how players do this)

> ...

> IF Anet made unblockables not carry players would be a great thing and those classes only need that to become balanced... damage is fine.

.. w-w-what?? Holosmith? Holosmith has exactly ONE unblockable attack - Prime Light Beam - and it's on a 60s+ cooldown with a glacial 1.25s cast time and huge glowing animation. If you're missing that, I don't know what to tell you. No holosmith build runs any other unblockable attacks. Holosmith is certianly overtuned compared to many specs, but all of its attacks save the elite are blockable.

As long as there is a clear (and slow) animation, unblockable attacks are fine. There just needs to be enough time for the opponent to see the skill and react with dodge. Part of the problem with deadeye is that it comes with quickness, which turns a 0.75s cast time into a ~0.5s cast time, which is nearly undodgeable when you take into account that it's coming from stealth so you don't know when to expect it, plus human reaction time and latency.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"coro.3176" said:

> > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> >

> >

> > It is balanced.

> > The issue is how unblockables work on this game, since theres no counter to unblockables out of stealth...

> >

> >

> > I still die to holosmiths uptime of unblockables w/o mines (it still bites me how players do this)

> > ...

> > IF Anet made unblockables not carry players would be a great thing and those classes only need that to become balanced... damage is fine.

>

> .. w-w-what?? Holosmith? Holosmith has exactly ONE unblockable attack - Prime Light Beam - and it's on a 60s+ cooldown with a glacial 1.25s cast time and huge glowing animation. If you're missing that, I don't know what to tell you. No holosmith build runs any other unblockable attacks. Holosmith is certianly overtuned compared to many specs, but all of its attacks save the elite are blockable.

>

> As long as there is a clear (and slow) animation, unblockable attacks are fine. There just needs to be enough time for the opponent to see the skill and react with dodge. Part of the problem with deadeye is that it comes with quickness, which turns a 0.75s cast time into a ~0.5s cast time, which is nearly undodgeable when you take into account that it's coming from stealth so you don't know when to expect it, plus human reaction time and latency.

>

Death's Judgment has a base cast time of 0.5s as of the rework that made it the rifle stealth attack.

> @"Shadowcat.2680" said:

> > @"coro.3176" said:

> > > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > >

> > >

> > > It is balanced.

> > > The issue is how unblockables work on this game, since theres no counter to unblockables out of stealth...

> > >

> > >

> > > I still die to holosmiths uptime of unblockables w/o mines (it still bites me how players do this)

> > > ...

> > > IF Anet made unblockables not carry players would be a great thing and those classes only need that to become balanced... damage is fine.

> >

> > .. w-w-what?? Holosmith? Holosmith has exactly ONE unblockable attack - Prime Light Beam - and it's on a 60s+ cooldown with a glacial 1.25s cast time and huge glowing animation. If you're missing that, I don't know what to tell you. No holosmith build runs any other unblockable attacks. Holosmith is certianly overtuned compared to many specs, but all of its attacks save the elite are blockable.

> >

> > As long as there is a clear (and slow) animation, unblockable attacks are fine. There just needs to be enough time for the opponent to see the skill and react with dodge. Part of the problem with deadeye is that it comes with quickness, which turns a 0.75s cast time into a ~0.5s cast time, which is nearly undodgeable when you take into account that it's coming from stealth so you don't know when to expect it, plus human reaction time and latency.

> >

>

> Death's Judgment has a base cast time of 0.5s as of the rework that made it the rifle stealth attack.

Oh.. right. I guess it really is undodgeable then. With quickness, that's ~300ms. Human reaction time is ~150ms (for audio stimulus). Lag can be over 100ms (usually is for me).

> @"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

> > @"Lithril Ashwalker.6230" said:

> > come wvw change i will have an army, a guild...of deadeyes using ghillie snipe. condi and power variants included. you have to burst while not invis / reflect non DJ. but if they build full malice just by remarking you you are screwed.

>

> I remember you advertising back when I was on SoS a while back. I have always thought it would be fun to run a stealth group to kitten with zergs, but am not sure how effective it could be. Are you still active?

we will be come in the few months before. another guild and guild leader of 2/3 guilds is going to allow me to poach and run EcK tags without issue, even let us run alongside him.

> @"coro.3176" said:

> > @"Shadowcat.2680" said:

> > > @"coro.3176" said:

> > > > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > It is balanced.

> > > > The issue is how unblockables work on this game, since theres no counter to unblockables out of stealth...

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I still die to holosmiths uptime of unblockables w/o mines (it still bites me how players do this)

> > > > ...

> > > > IF Anet made unblockables not carry players would be a great thing and those classes only need that to become balanced... damage is fine.

> > >

> > > .. w-w-what?? Holosmith? Holosmith has exactly ONE unblockable attack - Prime Light Beam - and it's on a 60s+ cooldown with a glacial 1.25s cast time and huge glowing animation. If you're missing that, I don't know what to tell you. No holosmith build runs any other unblockable attacks. Holosmith is certianly overtuned compared to many specs, but all of its attacks save the elite are blockable.

> > >

> > > As long as there is a clear (and slow) animation, unblockable attacks are fine. There just needs to be enough time for the opponent to see the skill and react with dodge. Part of the problem with deadeye is that it comes with quickness, which turns a 0.75s cast time into a ~0.5s cast time, which is nearly undodgeable when you take into account that it's coming from stealth so you don't know when to expect it, plus human reaction time and latency.

> > >

> >

> > Death's Judgment has a base cast time of 0.5s as of the rework that made it the rifle stealth attack.

>

> Oh.. right. I guess it really is undodgeable then. With quickness, that's ~300ms. Human reaction time is ~150ms (for audio stimulus). Lag can be over 100ms (usually is for me).

You're not taking into account the flight time of the projectile or the audio cue that begins when the cast starts. Removing the interaction with quickness will actually solve nothing as a quickness DJ at max range will take longer to hit than a regular speed DJ at 300-600 range.

Also, if I really wanted to make sure it hit I'd use the DE knockdown or scorpion wire. At max scorpion wire range you can throw the wire then start the DJ cast before the wire reveals you, so you pull then the damage hits as the other guy still on the floor. Pretty funny to mess with people's positioning doing it too, as even if they invuln the DJ hit I just pulled them out of their group :)

> @"geist.9173" said:

> They won't solve this problem ever. Best solution would be to give any class 2-3 skills that have reveal on them and make reveal last 10s base line.

I'd say the trap should pulse revealed every 2 seconds for the duration it's active should be a good way to go about it. No need to exagerate and render stealth usless, just because you don't like it.

I really think pulsing would solve the reveal remove issues same as it solved it with stability and other pulsing effects.

> @"Junkpile.7439" said:

> > @"Noha.3749" said:

> > Glasscannons with massive AoE suited for slaughtering half blobtrains thinking its unfair when another glasscannon suited for killing off said glasscannons is doing well.

> > Hmmmm.

> What classes have massive aoe that slaughter half blobtrain? I wanna play it too.

Ikr

This whole 5-target AoE cap stuff is for the birds

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> Permastealth DE solo took a T3 tower, permastealthed for 30+ mins. Supply traps? Joke. Thanks ANET, if you cant fix broken stuff, you wont be seeing any money from me anytime soon on the gemstore.

I can solo a T3 tower/keep on:

Any ranger spec pew pew build

Condi Mesmer

Tank mesmer

Tank Tempest

Cele Holosmith

People I know can solo T3 tower/keep on:

Full zerk any thief spec

Full marauder any warrior spec

A bunch of different mesmer builds

A bunch of different engineer builds

A bunch of different guardian builds

And these are just myself and people I personally know, me and my friends are not even that good. There are plenty of players out there orders of magnitude better than us who can probably solo keeps on uplevels if they really wanted to. Being able to solo an objective is not an indication of the strength of a build/spec.

stealth deadeyes are fine. I only had problems with them before I understood how their build works. You don't even need to go that far to build a counter for them, a core spec basic pew pew ranger will eat them for breakfast.

> @"Nate.3927" said:

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > Permastealth DE solo took a T3 tower, permastealthed for 30+ mins. Supply traps? Joke. Thanks ANET, if you cant fix broken stuff, you wont be seeing any money from me anytime soon on the gemstore.

>

> I can solo a T3 tower/keep on:

>

> Any ranger spec pew pew build

> Condi Mesmer

> Tank mesmer

> Tank Tempest

> Cele Holosmith

>

> People I know can solo T3 tower/keep on:

>

> Full zerk any thief spec

> Full marauder any warrior spec

> A bunch of different mesmer builds

> A bunch of different engineer builds

> A bunch of different guardian builds

>

> And these are just myself and people I personally know, me and my friends are not even that good. There are plenty of players out there orders of magnitude better than us who can probably solo keeps on uplevels if they really wanted to. Being able to solo an objective is not an indication of the strength of a build/spec.

>

> stealth deadeyes are fine. I only had problems with them before I understood how their build works. You don't even need to go that far to build a counter for them, a core spec basic pew pew ranger will eat them for breakfast.

I would REALLY like you to explain to me how you got permastealth as tempest. Would you like to elaborate? Cause this is about permastealth, and the fact that you CANT find the enemy.

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > @"Junkpile.7439" said:

> > > @"Noha.3749" said:

> > > Glasscannons with massive AoE suited for slaughtering half blobtrains thinking its unfair when another glasscannon suited for killing off said glasscannons is doing well.

> > > Hmmmm.

> > What classes have massive aoe that slaughter half blobtrain? I wanna play it too.

>

> Ikr

> This whole 5-target AoE cap stuff is for the birds

They removed that on TESO.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"Nate.3927" said:

> > > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > Permastealth DE solo took a T3 tower, permastealthed for 30+ mins. Supply traps? Joke. Thanks ANET, if you cant fix broken stuff, you wont be seeing any money from me anytime soon on the gemstore.

> >

> > I can solo a T3 tower/keep on:

> >

> > Any ranger spec pew pew build

> > Condi Mesmer

> > Tank mesmer

> > Tank Tempest

> > Cele Holosmith

> >

> > People I know can solo T3 tower/keep on:

> >

> > Full zerk any thief spec

> > Full marauder any warrior spec

> > A bunch of different mesmer builds

> > A bunch of different engineer builds

> > A bunch of different guardian builds

> >

> > And these are just myself and people I personally know, me and my friends are not even that good. There are plenty of players out there orders of magnitude better than us who can probably solo keeps on uplevels if they really wanted to. Being able to solo an objective is not an indication of the strength of a build/spec.

> >

> > stealth deadeyes are fine. I only had problems with them before I understood how their build works. You don't even need to go that far to build a counter for them, a core spec basic pew pew ranger will eat them for breakfast.

>

> I would REALLY like you to explain to me how you got permastealth as tempest. Would you like to elaborate? Cause this is about permastealth, and the fact that you CANT find the enemy.

you dont need to find the enemy, he is in the tower in stealth - you already know he is there.

the problem you have (as most people) is that you want to fight a deadeye on your terms, but that is pretty much all the deadeye is about : he sets the terms for its encounters. so if you want to fight them on demand so to speak, you need to make them pick an encounter. if you/your group can beat them, they certainly wont pick an encounter against you/your group. but what he will fight in there is the lord, he also wont oneshot the lord. so make him fight the lord. for that leave the structure or make it appear as such and then gank them while they fight the lord. most either dont leave or the first that comes in is some defensive guard or a scourge etc. wich is basically for the deadeye a warning and not a threat so he then again can go back to stealth and wait till you left again. playing the waiting game is only an option if you have more endurance in that useless situation than the deadeye and even then it is mostly a loss if you use more than 1 person for it as the deadeye binding you guys makes him efficient again.

or you can of course just contiue to bore yourself, get frustraded and complain hoping anet will care for you not willing to deal with it. during core game many did run without condi clears or very limited because they thought it shouldnt be part of the game or whatever and then anet gave us condi reaper with HoT as an answer (and condi chrono for spvp / WvW), nowadays most have accepted that people use condis and are prepared for it. maybe someday people will accept deadeyes and just bait & kill them instead of getting frustrated, but i fear that day wont come soon.

because of the timing of your post and you being in the same matchup - was it the O'del Academy flipping from red to blue?

> @"coro.3176" said:

> * Anet: Y'know, perma-stealth is frustrating to play against. Let's give players a way to counter it with reveal

> * Also Anet: Oh, deadeye dies if they're revealed. Let's give them a way to cancel reveal

> * Soon: Oh, perma-stealth deadeye is still frustrating to play against. Let's give players a way to super-reveal deadeyes so they can't cancel it.

> * Later: Oh, deadeye dies if they're super-revealed. Let's give them a way to cancel super-reveal.

> * Soon: ... super-mega-ulitimate-reveal

>

> Typical arms race.

>

> I think we can all agree the current perma-stealth deadeye is bad gameplay and isn't very interactive for the person on the receiving end. There's no point in even trying to reveal the deadeye because they'll just cancel it. The best play is to not bother trying to fight and just leave or get to the safety of a zerg or tower. That's no fun. There needs to be some back and forth between the deadeye and their target.

This exactly. Shadow Meld and DE's mark set up bad precedents for this game: they don't follow the rule of any other mechanics, instead superceding them. Shadow Meld is essentially a mechanic that counters a mechanic that counters a mechanic, typical arms race like you said. DE's mark can NOT be avoided by any means other than being out of range of the DE casting it. Presumably this change was made because players whined that it wasn't realistic that you could just mark someone (look at/think about them) and have them dodge that marking, but "rational" logic like that doesn't hold up in a videogame where magic is involved. Also if you did want to use that logic, the DE's mark should have range only limited by draw distance.

This creates a confusing and also malignant arms race. We're potentially looking at a future involving things like a block that can stop unblockable attacks, uncorruptable boons, attacks that deal damage through invulnerability, unevadeable attacks... heck even one step more ridiculous like "Absolute Revealment" like you said which can't be removed by shadow meld.

> @"gebrechen.5643" said:

> And so you sit in a tower for hours not knowing if he is still there, right?

many do that, yes. but its stupid, because you sitting in there makes the deadeye try to hide its presence when you actually want them to come out of stealth.

on the other side the deadeye sits in the tower for hours not knowing if he will ever be alone in the tower for long enough to flip it. either side can just leave and lose the tower. but the deadeye certainly lose the tower when leaving , the defenders can just come back when the deadeye fights the lord. _**they dont have to stay to secure the tower, but the deadeye has to stay to contest it.**_

i think the main underlying design flaw that is causing most of the issues people have in WvW, is that a match is allways 168 hours on 4 maps with so many people. this means its pretty much impossible to get the ideal of full maps for each side for the entire match. but that ideal is part of the competitive design of the mode. in the 2 hours after reset it is usually close to that ideal, during that deadeyes hiding in keeps/towers are not much of an issue for example as the traffic on the map is often too high for them to flip stuff alone and there is allways someone on the map for the opposing team with a build able to gank that deadeye if needed. or other issues like 'nightcapping' also are only possible due to inbalance of population. this design flaw is soo crucial, that the mode is basically not played in a competitive way to its design but only to the goals people set to themselves, wich the game then is not balanced around.

i asked voltekka if it was the academy because i know i flipped it at around that time of his first mentioning it and i am in the same match, but the issue there was that i dont think the red team had anyone even on their WvW maps with a build and the ability to use it to gank me there, altho that is generally the best tactic to get rid of the deadeye. so basically the above design flaw put voltekka in a situation he can only lose. he can now ask anet to 'fix' deadeye but the deadeye as such is not broken when the mode had the numbers of players it would require. therefor anet might change the deadeye like with the last rework, but highly doubt they will actually nerf it. with the last one they overall buffed it. now the deadeyes can no longer hide in stealth for 20s and then onehit but instead they can sustain being visible at times and just kill you like that. i dont want to know how strong a deadeye could become in the right hands if anet made another rework like that because of some complains. i hope anet just one day 'fix' that underlying design flaw or remove the competitive elements from WvW so players can play that mode as intended and the game can be balanced around how people play it.

> @"Arcaedus.7290" said:

> > @"coro.3176" said:

> > * Anet: Y'know, perma-stealth is frustrating to play against. Let's give players a way to counter it with reveal

> > * Also Anet: Oh, deadeye dies if they're revealed. Let's give them a way to cancel reveal

> > * Soon: Oh, perma-stealth deadeye is still frustrating to play against. Let's give players a way to super-reveal deadeyes so they can't cancel it.

> > * Later: Oh, deadeye dies if they're super-revealed. Let's give them a way to cancel super-reveal.

> > * Soon: ... super-mega-ulitimate-reveal

> >

> > Typical arms race.

> >

> > I think we can all agree the current perma-stealth deadeye is bad gameplay and isn't very interactive for the person on the receiving end. There's no point in even trying to reveal the deadeye because they'll just cancel it. The best play is to not bother trying to fight and just leave or get to the safety of a zerg or tower. That's no fun. There needs to be some back and forth between the deadeye and their target.

>

> This exactly. Shadow Meld and DE's mark set up bad precedents for this game: they don't follow the rule of any other mechanics, instead superceding them. Shadow Meld is essentially a mechanic that counters a mechanic that counters a mechanic, typical arms race like you said. DE's mark can NOT be avoided by any means other than being out of range of the DE casting it. Presumably this change was made because players whined that it wasn't realistic that you could just mark someone (look at/think about them) and have them dodge that marking, but "rational" logic like that doesn't hold up in a videogame where magic is involved. Also if you did want to use that logic, the DE's mark should have range only limited by draw distance.

>

> This creates a confusing and also malignant arms race. We're potentially looking at a future involving things like a block that can stop unblockable attacks, uncorruptable boons, attacks that deal damage through invulnerability, unevadeable attacks... heck even one step more ridiculous like "Absolute Revealment" like you said which can't be removed by shadow meld.

Even with a toned down version of all Mark effected skills, would you rather I was able to unload all of my stuff at full blast right away instead? What you're suggesting is that other classes and builds have a chance for a skill to be avoided, while the DE would have a chance to be shut down for around 20 seconds. I've Marked people with mark effects not taking place and not gaining stolen item, if you avoided everything but the Mark itself, what's your problem?

> @"kash.9213" said:

> > @"Arcaedus.7290" said:

> > > @"coro.3176" said:

> > > * Anet: Y'know, perma-stealth is frustrating to play against. Let's give players a way to counter it with reveal

> > > * Also Anet: Oh, deadeye dies if they're revealed. Let's give them a way to cancel reveal

> > > * Soon: Oh, perma-stealth deadeye is still frustrating to play against. Let's give players a way to super-reveal deadeyes so they can't cancel it.

> > > * Later: Oh, deadeye dies if they're super-revealed. Let's give them a way to cancel super-reveal.

> > > * Soon: ... super-mega-ulitimate-reveal

> > >

> > > Typical arms race.

> > >

> > > I think we can all agree the current perma-stealth deadeye is bad gameplay and isn't very interactive for the person on the receiving end. There's no point in even trying to reveal the deadeye because they'll just cancel it. The best play is to not bother trying to fight and just leave or get to the safety of a zerg or tower. That's no fun. There needs to be some back and forth between the deadeye and their target.

> >

> > This exactly. Shadow Meld and DE's mark set up bad precedents for this game: they don't follow the rule of any other mechanics, instead superceding them. Shadow Meld is essentially a mechanic that counters a mechanic that counters a mechanic, typical arms race like you said. DE's mark can NOT be avoided by any means other than being out of range of the DE casting it. Presumably this change was made because players whined that it wasn't realistic that you could just mark someone (look at/think about them) and have them dodge that marking, but "rational" logic like that doesn't hold up in a videogame where magic is involved. Also if you did want to use that logic, the DE's mark should have range only limited by draw distance.

> >

> > This creates a confusing and also malignant arms race. We're potentially looking at a future involving things like a block that can stop unblockable attacks, uncorruptable boons, attacks that deal damage through invulnerability, unevadeable attacks... heck even one step more ridiculous like "Absolute Revealment" like you said which can't be removed by shadow meld.

>

> Even with a toned down version of all Mark effected skills, would you rather I was able to unload all of my stuff at full blast right away instead? What you're suggesting is that other classes and builds have a chance for a skill to be avoided, while the DE would have a chance to be shut down for around 20 seconds. I've Marked people with mark effects not taking place and not gaining stolen item, if you avoided everything but the Mark itself, what's your problem?

anet could make it so that you can 'break' a mark by going over lets say 2,5k range but then this would probably trigger renewing gaze and could be considered a buff to deadeye.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"Nate.3927" said:

> > > Permastealth DE solo took a T3 tower, permastealthed for 30+ mins. Supply traps? Joke. Thanks ANET, if you cant fix broken stuff, you wont be seeing any money from me anytime soon on the gemstore.

> >

> >

> > Condi Mesmer

> > Tank mesmer

> > Tank Tempest

> > Cele Holosmith

> >

> >

> >

> > And these are just myself and people I personally know, me and my friends are not even that good. There are plenty of players out there orders of magnitude better than us who can probably solo keeps on uplevels if they really wanted to. Being able to solo an objective is not an indication of the strength of a build/spec.

> >

> > stealth deadeyes are fine. I only had problems with them before I understood how their build works. You don't even need to go that far to build a counter for them, a core spec basic pew pew ranger will eat them for breakfast.

>

> I would REALLY like you to explain to me how you got permastealth as tempest. Would you like to elaborate? Cause this is about permastealth, and the fact that you CANT find the enemy.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"Nate.3927" said:

> >

> >

> > Condi Mesmer

> > Tank mesmer

> > Tank Tempest

> > Cele Holosmith

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

I can't get permastealth as a tempest, permastealth doesn't matter. I've hidden in plenty of towers and keeps on a class without stealth. If the deadeye is hiding in the tower, pretend to leave while still staying close, then come back and kill the deadeye while theyre fighting the lord. It's super easy. Just like any other class that deadeye will take a few minutes to kill the lord.