Krytan Citizens Brigade for the reconstruction of Kessex Hills!

To our most magnanimous, and beloved Queen Jennah,

Let it be known, the we, the Good Citizens of Kryta, do beseech you to extend your most generous efforts to the reconstruction of Kessex Hills.

It has been four long years since Scarlet Briar terrorized and destroyed our fair countryside.

If we may be so bold as to suggest; The Ministry may find it profitable, in both commerce and goodwill (especially, goodwill, considering that scandalous incident with Minister Zamon) to rally volunteers for reconstruction efforts, and perhaps invite Representatives from the Consortium to provide morale boosting, and motivational support.

Faithfully, in your service,

Pact Commander Lucrezia Starr

Isn't Kessex Hills permanently in the post-disaster time period? So isn't it more like months, not years?

That said, I sympathize with the OP's goal: the Nightmare Alliance events are generally ignored because they take ages to complete and offer little in the way of reward. It's much more interesting to explore the rest of the map and just run past them. Be nice to see the map evolve again in some fashion.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Isn't Kessex Hills permanently in the post-disaster time period? So isn't it more like months, not years?

>

> That said, I sympathize with the OP's goal: the Nightmare Alliance events are generally ignored because they take ages to complete and offer little in the way of reward. It's much more interesting to explore the rest of the map and just run past them. Be nice to see the map evolve again in some fashion.

Itd also be nice to have the waypoints repaired.

> @"Redattack.7836" said:

> Remember how GW1 had "districts" where you could select what instance of the map you wanted to be on? Couldn't a similar system be used for GW2, in which you could choose what time period you want to play on for each map?

Yeah that would have been awesome... I suggested something like this ages ago, as a mechanism to bring back Season 1 without too many changes. Just having a different "shard" in the servers set to that period. They could use the Herald, or some other NPC to give a bit of fluff to that, by making it seem like they're retelling our adventure. Kinda like the Animus GW2 version :p

I would love to see Kessex Hills re-build to it's beauty once again. Visiting the map now after so many years since the first season of the Living World is just... sad and boring.

It's time for a change! Gear up, let's clean up the remaning parts of the Toxic Tower once and for all and rebuild Kessex Hills! To make Kryta whole again!

For Kryta!

For the Queen!

Have to say that the toxic events are some of the few events I tend to always go for because they're fun, and a bit harder than the usual stuff. Especially love the spore towers, with their mix of the sylvari with player-like skills and down mechanics, and the kraits that often spawn elites and veterans in multiples. I would be sad to see those go away.

I guess if they split it off to 2 different maps (instances or something) I wouldn't mind that, but I suspect it would just split up the userbase even further, on a map I don't see as very popular in the first place.

> Remember how GW1 had "districts" where you could select what instance of the map you wanted to be on? Couldn't a similar system be used for GW2, in which you could choose what time period you want to play on for each map?

I really like this idea whenever it pops up. Never played GW1, but for maps like Kessex Hills, Orr, Lions Arch or any other region that has seen quite some kitten in the past this would be a great possibility to add layers of content onto existing content. I think Anet can't "fix" or "move on" these maps within the current state of the game though. Many collections and achievemets are tied to events, locations, NPCs or mobs on those maps, they would need to stay available.

Just curious what exactly you would want rebuilt. Trees do not grow overnight, despite sylvari's best efforts, and none of the houses in the region were destroyed.

Alas, Fort Salma seems to have been irreparably damaged by Mordremoth's vines, and the Toxic Alliance continue to grow in number long after Scarlet's death. The debris from the Nightmare Tower is constantly being cleaned away by wandering heroes, but it was a large tower, and even their efforts can go so far. What else can be done to hasten the work along?

You mean for that mission in Cantha which had to be done by two teams? The starting location was different (a different town) and you queued and hoped to meet someone from the other side. However, you still ended up on the exact same map, so I'm not sure how that would help.

> @"Rognik.2579" said:

> Just curious what exactly you would want rebuilt. Trees do not grow overnight, despite sylvari's best efforts, and none of the houses in the region were destroyed.

>

> Alas, Fort Salma seems to have been irreparably damaged by Mordremoth's vines, and the Toxic Alliance continue to grow in number long after Scarlet's death. The debris from the Nightmare Tower is constantly being cleaned away by wandering heroes, but it was a large tower, and even their efforts can go so far. What else can be done to hasten the work along?

Its been literal years since LWs1, vines can be chopped down with axes and or *burned* and given how quickly they can rebuild other forts, im sure fort salma and its WP could be repaired already.

On top of that with the shear amount of people that go out in that map im sure they could say the tower was cleaned if they wanted to, hell they could just leave the bits of it that are in the water.

Is there proof that the toxic alliance continues to grow, or are you just saying that to explain the events still in the area?

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Redattack.7836" said:

> > Remember how GW1 had "districts" where you could select what instance of the map you wanted to be on? Couldn't a similar system be used for GW2, in which you could choose what time period you want to play on for each map?

>

> You mean for that mission in Cantha which had to be done by two teams? The starting location was different (a different town) and you queued and hoped to meet someone from the other side. However, you still ended up on the exact same map, so I'm not sure how that would help.

Not really: In gw1 you could select different map instances to go in for cities, of course they all had the same nps and the maps looked the same but the players on the maps where always different.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> Its been literal years since LWs1, vines can be chopped down with axes and or *burned* and given how quickly they can rebuild other forts, im sure fort salma and its WP could be repaired already.

> On top of that with the shear amount of people that go out in that map im sure they could say the tower was cleaned if they wanted to, hell they could just leave the bits of it that are in the water.

> Is there proof that the toxic alliance continues to grow, or are you just saying that to explain the events still in the area?

Jusr saying that to explain why the events keep looping. Similarly, the Fort Salma thing is tied to Season 2. Even though they have tech that allows the instance to use an old map version, it's not worth the trouble to do so.

I know a couple of the hearts (or at least one) has been changed to be a reaction to the toxins in the area. As such, the area is getting cleaned up, but looped as all such hearts are.

I repeat, though, what benefit would it serve to update the map now? Most old players will consider it old content, so on new characters breeze by, and new players can get a vague sense of what has happened. At least, that's how all the Seaon 1 content has been treated.

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Redattack.7836" said:

> > > Remember how GW1 had "districts" where you could select what instance of the map you wanted to be on? Couldn't a similar system be used for GW2, in which you could choose what time period you want to play on for each map?

> >

> > You mean for that mission in Cantha which had to be done by two teams? The starting location was different (a different town) and you queued and hoped to meet someone from the other side. However, you still ended up on the exact same map, so I'm not sure how that would help.

>

> Not really: In gw1 you could select different map instances to go in for cities, of course they all had the same nps and the maps looked the same but the players on the maps where always different.

So just like the instances and "overflow maps" we currently have?

> @"Rognik.2579" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > Its been literal years since LWs1, vines can be chopped down with axes and or *burned* and given how quickly they can rebuild other forts, im sure fort salma and its WP could be repaired already.

> > On top of that with the shear amount of people that go out in that map im sure they could say the tower was cleaned if they wanted to, hell they could just leave the bits of it that are in the water.

> > Is there proof that the toxic alliance continues to grow, or are you just saying that to explain the events still in the area?

> Jusr saying that to explain why the events keep looping. Similarly, the Fort Salma thing is tied to Season 2. Even though they have tech that allows the instance to use an old map version, it's not worth the trouble to do so.

> I know a couple of the hearts (or at least one) has been changed to be a reaction to the toxins in the area. As such, the area is getting cleaned up, but looped as all such hearts are.

>

> I repeat, though, what benefit would it serve to update the map now? Most old players will consider it old content, so on new characters breeze by, and new players can get a vague sense of what has happened. At least, that's how all the Seaon 1 content has been treated.

>

> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > @"Redattack.7836" said:

> > > > Remember how GW1 had "districts" where you could select what instance of the map you wanted to be on? Couldn't a similar system be used for GW2, in which you could choose what time period you want to play on for each map?

> > >

> > > You mean for that mission in Cantha which had to be done by two teams? The starting location was different (a different town) and you queued and hoped to meet someone from the other side. However, you still ended up on the exact same map, so I'm not sure how that would help.

> >

> > Not really: In gw1 you could select different map instances to go in for cities, of course they all had the same nps and the maps looked the same but the players on the maps where always different.

> So just like the instances and "overflow maps" we currently have?

Nah, GW1 didn't have a persistent world, so you could only run into other players in towns and outposts. And each of those has 1 or more instances per area (EU, NA, ASIA). It's not like overflow maps in GW2 and you could see the instances and travel between them. Because of the lower population a lot of EU players go to the NA instance of places like Kamadan because there is no TP and that's where all the player trading is happening.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> Its been literal years since LWs1, vines can be chopped down with axes and or *burned* and given how quickly they can rebuild other forts, im sure fort salma and its WP could be repaired already.

Has it been years in those maps? I understood that most maps are mostly locked in time (with some anachronisms due to Current Events).

I think it is a cool idea, but has two main issues:

1) the presence of mobs in an area after the conflict is resolved will be thematically wrong.

2) if we have multiple versions of the same map, this will divide the population significantly.

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > Its been literal years since LWs1, vines can be chopped down with axes and or *burned* and given how quickly they can rebuild other forts, im sure fort salma and its WP could be repaired already.

>

> Has it been years in those maps? I understood that most maps are mostly locked in time (with some anachronisms due to Current Events).

The Nightmare tower was in 1326-1327, Fort Salma was attacked in 1327 as well. The current game year is 1331, so its been five years in game time from the time of those events assuming those maps are *locked* in 1327. To me given how rapidly certain things are built in this universe, it would seem possible to have the fort, the waypoint and the majority of the tower cleaned up, as well as at least some trees(sapplings) growing where they used to.

> @"Rognik.2579" said:

> I repeat, though, what benefit would it serve to update the map now? Most old players will consider it old content, so on new characters breeze by, and new players can get a vague sense of what has happened. At least, that's how all the Seaon 1 content has been treated.

>

The same could be asked of Lion's Arch. It's been destroyed twice now, and rebuilt both times. Why leave Kessex Hills to stagnate? It used to be one of the nicest maps to play in. Now its just depressing. GW2 is based in world immersion. Worlds change and grow, destruction and creation, hence the success of the Living Story features.

Yes, disasters happen, and they leave a mark on the world, but the people and the land recover, reclaim, and rebuild. Why shouldn't Kessex Hills get at least the same treatment as South Sun Cove? I remember how bare it was when that map first opened, but little by little they added and changed up little details around the settlements. They could do the same with Kessex Hills. It wouldn't have to be a huge event, but over time, the map could be cleaned up to show the progress of the reconstruction efforts. Right now it just looks like it was forgotten.

Sadly, @"Kitty La Boom Boom.4065", that's not how they seem to do Current Events any more. They will add in new events, based on the current story, usually put in a part of the map that didn't have an event to interfere with (after breaking so many events back in Iron Marches after S2E3).

Look at the Marionette event. After the season ended, the Marionette stayed behind, with an NPC to briefly talk about what happened. They even moved a vista to be on top of it. Similarly, they put an NPC by the old camp that surveyed the Nightmare Tower. When HoT was released was when the announcement that maps would be timelocked "as of creation", with only the new Side Stories updating them. ArenaNet doesn't seem like they want to remove any content, which fixing up Kessex Hills could do if you were to add back the old map.

As for Lion's Arch, it's one of the few cities in the game, an area safe from combat. Fixing the city gave them a chance to add the Aerodome as a raid hub, as well as add new content like the karka scavenger hunt or the new jumping puzzle.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > Its been literal years since LWs1, vines can be chopped down with axes and or *burned* and given how quickly they can rebuild other forts, im sure fort salma and its WP could be repaired already.

> >

> > Has it been years in those maps? I understood that most maps are mostly locked in time (with some anachronisms due to Current Events).

>

> The Nightmare tower was in 1326-1327, Fort Salma was attacked in 1327 as well. The current game year is 1331, so its been five years in game time from the time of those events assuming those maps are *locked* in 1327. To me given how rapidly certain things are built in this universe, it would seem possible to have the fort, the waypoint and the majority of the tower cleaned up, as well as at least some trees(sapplings) growing where they used to.

I apologize, my point was unclear: if the maps are "locked" in at 1327, that is the current game year _for those maps_. Events are taking place in 1327, including the Toxic Alliance attacks and the dead trees (again, with allowances for so-called current events which take place in their own time bubble, in the interests of game play rather than lore-oriented consistency).

If ANet wants to jump the dates to 1331, then I don't see any lore problem with any sort of rebuilding or transformation, since lots of things could happen in four years. As a practical matter, though, ANet doesn't touch older maps unless there's a new story that affects them directly.

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > Its been literal years since LWs1, vines can be chopped down with axes and or *burned* and given how quickly they can rebuild other forts, im sure fort salma and its WP could be repaired already.

> > >

> > > Has it been years in those maps? I understood that most maps are mostly locked in time (with some anachronisms due to Current Events).

> >

> > The Nightmare tower was in 1326-1327, Fort Salma was attacked in 1327 as well. The current game year is 1331, so its been five years in game time from the time of those events assuming those maps are *locked* in 1327. To me given how rapidly certain things are built in this universe, it would seem possible to have the fort, the waypoint and the majority of the tower cleaned up, as well as at least some trees(sapplings) growing where they used to.

>

> I apologize, my point was unclear: if the maps are "locked" in at 1327, that is the current game year _for those maps_. Events are taking place in 1327, including the Toxic Alliance attacks and the dead trees (again, with allowances for so-called current events which take place in their own time bubble, in the interests of game play rather than lore-oriented consistency).

>

> If ANet wants to jump the dates to 1331, then I don't see any lore problem with any sort of rebuilding or transformation, since lots of things could happen in four years. As a practical matter, though, ANet doesn't touch older maps unless there's a new story that affects them directly.

Ohhh, i see what you mean now, makes sense!

To be honest i think thats a mistake on their part: Not updating older maps leaves them...left behind in terms to the rest of the game, and i really really think it would be in their interest to touch them up a bit.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> To be honest i think thats a mistake on their part: Not updating older maps leaves them...left behind in terms to the rest of the game, and i really really think it would be in their interest to touch them up a bit.

Even ANet agrees it's in their interests to "touch them up a bit" (or ideally better than that). However, there's only so much time they have to work on maps and events. The priority is always going to be on new content, because (typically) veterans like new stuff and new players won't know (or care) if old maps are touched up at all. In a perfect world, we'd absolutely see old maps evolve (slowly or quickly) towards the 'present', ANet would fix weird issues with various events, they'd add some sort of better cooldown/timer for Orrian temples, World Bosses would be updated to survive an appropriate amount of time, and more.

I'm all in favor of old maps getting new attention (and that's one of the things I liked better during the game's first year or so). All the same, given the limitations, if I can only get 1 from column A, I'll side with the focus being on Living World stories, with (mostly) only bug fixes for the older content.

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > To be honest i think thats a mistake on their part: Not updating older maps leaves them...left behind in terms to the rest of the game, and i really really think it would be in their interest to touch them up a bit.

>

> Even ANet agrees it's in their interests to "touch them up a bit" (or ideally better than that). However, there's only so much time they have to work on maps and events. The priority is always going to be on new content, because (typically) veterans like new stuff and new players won't know (or care) if old maps are touched up at all. In a perfect world, we'd absolutely see old maps evolve (slowly or quickly) towards the 'present', ANet would fix weird issues with various events, they'd add some sort of better cooldown/timer for Orrian temples, World Bosses would be updated to survive an appropriate amount of time, and more.

>

> I'm all in favor of old maps getting new attention (and that's one of the things I liked better during the game's first year or so). All the same, given the limitations, if I can only get 1 from column A, I'll side with the focus being on Living World stories, with (mostly) only bug fixes for the older content.

Mmm.. i dont know, i think it may be time to create a *small* like..2-3 man team thats focused solely on updating older content, i dont know if its within their realms or means to do so, but theres so many bugs and glitches and problems building up in the core game that arent getting fixed eventually its going to explode. I dont know how big each of their teams is though, and 2-3 people might effect everything else but i hope it wouldnt!