Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> Android app requires Android 4.4. I have Android 4.3.

> Any ways around this problem?

There's an emulator you can download for your PC which will let you do it.

The name is Blue something but I seem to be incapable of remembering it. But it's mentioned several times in this thread.

Edit: **Bluestacks**. Or google Android Emulator for other options.

> @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > > So ppl wanted to abuse the promotion by making free accounts heroic and now are mad they get lock out of facebook. Lol this is the best promotion ever, I don't use Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. :# =) B) :p =)

> >

> > Blame the victims much?

> >

> > The heroic edition as part of this can take a flying leap. I have two PAID accounts, both the highest digital level of basic while it was still on sale and one of those with both expansions. I wanted to add the DLC.

>

> Naive much? Why do you think it's crashing. It suck for the legits but since it's open so easily to exploits I'm glad it's not working.

I have absolutely no idea how you think "naive" is a good word there. I was saying they could have ran the exact same promotion but not included heroic edition codes as part of what you get. Yes, you would still have a lot of current GW2 players hitting the servers and new people enticed to play but it would not have attracted gold sellers and people who wanted to sell unlock codes on ebay.

> @"Jenstone.6891" said:

> I am not sure what bubble tea is

It's disgusting. Just don't.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Unless you're in the EU where that's illegal (regardless of where the company is based

Since they cannot tell the origin of a linked Facebook account, they will grab any info they can get. No one will ever know anyway.

Which is why I don't install third party stuff, especially from companies I've never heard of.

See also this thread:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/53840/questions-regarding-the-heroic-edition-and-bannable-offenses

It tries to answer the following questions:

> * If I get a promotion code for the Heroic Edition, is it okay to use it on a newly-created F2P alt account?

> * If, like some players, I get multiple codes, does it count as promotion abuse if I only use one code for myself and gift away the rest?

> * If I buy an expansion for an alt account or accounts, is it okay to transfer log-in or whatever gains from those accounts to my main one?

(Unfortunately @"Hevoskuuri.3891" didn't include the words "Kung Fu Tea" or "Giveaway" or "Promotion" in the title, so it's easy to overlook.)

So who did the team that thought this up think was going to benefit from this promotion? Thousands of Kung Fu Tea drinkers suddenly deciding to play GW2 and spend money in the Gem store? Thousands of GW2 players suddenly deciding to regularly drink at Kung Fu Tea? - Both seem highly unlikely scenarios IMHO. What was much more likely, is what has indeed happened. Not only has there been no benefit to either company, but because hundreds of thousands of Non US players are unhappy because they can't fully participate or get rewards and nearly everyone is annoyed because of technical problems that were almost inevitable, both companies have suffered reputational damage and KFT now have a 1* rated app.

Gotta love marketing departments :)

Marketing does not work that way. When you do a magazine ad, you also do not expect thousands of magazine readers to suddenly have the urge to absolutely have to buy what you are selling. It is about getting known, being a brand that people recognize.

Without the app failure this would just have been a promotion that thousands of people who do not care at all about having a tshirt with the gamelogo would have completely ignored and wouldn't remember the name "Kung Fu Tea" in a week. But now, this thread has been on top of the forum first page for almost a week and pretty much every forum participant will have seen the name a hundred times and probably wondered what this huge thread is all about. For every person complaining here, venting, being impatient, hating on the app makers and calling it a fiasco, there may be ten people who are patient, don't care if they get their stuff yesterday or next week, are understanding of the situation, or simple don't care for all the circus but now know what bubble tea is.

There is no Kung Fu Tea where I live but i love coconut taste and would love to try that drink if I could. Even when I sat in front of my phone for a day. And with all the ruckus, if Kung Fu Tea ever opens a store near me, I will damn sure remember all of this and go there and get a drink, even ten years from now.

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > > I’m Swedish and I have no idea what “Kung Fu Tea” is. I guess non-US players are utterly kitten?

> >

> > Maybe read up on what the promotion entails? And the thread here has lots of details. The codes can be awarded globally. Only the sweepstakes is US only, most likely due to the usual legal stuff surrounding competitions.

>

> Still doesn’t make me able to buy a cuppa from them.

>

>

Trust us who live near one, that's fine. Even by our infamously lax American tea standards, bubble "tea'' is *not* tea in the traditional sense. Its the tea equivalent of a cup of 1/3rd coffee and 2/3rds milk and 2 *Tablespoons* of sugar.

> @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> Marketing does not work that way. When you do a magazine ad, you also do not expect thousands of magazine readers to suddenly have the urge to absolutely have to buy what you are selling. It is about getting known, being a brand that people recognize.

>

> Without the app failure this would just have been a promotion that thousands of people who do not care at all about having a tshirt with the gamelogo would have completely ignored and wouldn't remember the name "Kung Fu Tea" in a week. But now, this thread has been on top of the forum first page for almost a week and pretty much every forum participant will have seen the name a hundred times and probably wondered what this huge thread is all about. For every person complaining here, venting, being impatient, hating on the app makers and calling it a fiasco, there may be ten people who are patient, don't care if they get their stuff yesterday or next week, are understanding of the situation, or simple don't care for all the circus but now know what bubble tea is.

>

> There is no Kung Fu Tea where I live but i love coconut taste and would love to try that drink if I could. Even when I sat in front of my phone for a day. And with all the ruckus, if Kung Fu Tea ever opens a store near me, I will kitten sure remember all of this and go there and get a drink, even ten years from now.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting they wanted all this trouble, but you're absolutely right that a lot of marketing is not about directly getting someone to buy something but simply about getting your name out there and encouraging the right kind of associations. I've been told that on average it takes 3 'encounters' with a brand before someone will make a purchase from them.

I suspect the idea of this promotion is that next time a GW2 player sees the name/logo for Kung Fu Tea they remember (however vaguely) it being associated with GW2, social media and phone apps - and therefore something 'cool' and modern, aimed at young adults and therefore something they (as a cool, modern young adult, because in marketing terms that is still the gamer demographic) want to engage with.

Likewise KFT customers who have seen the promotion in the app and the drink in store will remember GW2 as a fun game that's obviously not taking itself too seriously (which is often a negative assumption about MMOs) and giving away some cool sounding free stuff to players. Maybe something worth checking out if they wanted to play an MMO (which, being also cool modern young adults they are likely to do).

The people who go beyond that and actually buy the drink, win or claim a code and get a new GW2 account and maybe go on being customers for both/either will be important too, but not the sole benefit for either company.

We're only 4 days into a 30-day promotion. It's not good that this has happened but there's plenty of time for them to put it right and for everyone to claim the rewards before the promotion is due to end, and they could always extend it if necessary.

If we get to the last week of September and the app is still not working and people still can't claim the codes then yes, maybe look at other ways of doing it (although given a lot of people will have it by then I'd suggest putting it in the gem store for 0 gems rather than mailing out an item a lot of people will just have to delete).

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> lolz. I'm more curious about the drink than the promotion, but I live in a distant place, ... in the photo it looks delicious. itome kind of _Frappé coffee_?

>

No, it is 'tea' in the same manner that a ultra-blonde coffee is 'coffee'. In other words, 1/3rd tea, 2/3rd milk, and then 2 *tablespoons* of sugar. Then they add tapioca balls, also called boba, which coined the name 'boba tea'. Shortly after the social media 'promoters' got interested someone twisted the name to 'bubble' tea and it stuck.

> @"Ubi.4136" said:

> Finally got it to accept that I had an account linked to it - the instagram one I made just for this (all my other accounts I got locked out of). No rewards though.

Once I got my accounts linked I had to keep refreshing the rewards page to get them to show up. But that was yesterday and some people have been saying it's disabled today. I haven't had time to check so I'm not sure, but if there's no rewards at all you definitely need to keep refreshing it until they show up.