Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> The app does not show any rewards at all for me. Not sure if it can detect fake social media accounts or fake geo location or whatever the problem is now. I simulated a location in Texas and made a fake instagram account with nothing in it

It's not working right now, for anyone. They disabled it yesterday, allegedly while they fixed the problem with some people creating dozens of codes, but since then all we've heard is that the terms and conditions have been amended to say it's restricted to the USA, 1 code per user and the codes have an expiry date.

At a guess they're keeping it disabled until they have the tech in place to actually enforce that. But since we've been told nothing except they're working on it we can't know for sure.

The amount of time they have lost us, the data they have collected with that app garbage that occupies more than Facebook and that went wrong from the beginning (either the app was closed, or when you got the reward code was hung, the reward did not appear, it did not link social networks ...)

I hope Arenanet will do something about it, because as a player and a fan of Guild Wars I think they have lost the confidence of many players (mine sure).

Ok, this is wrong, wrong, wrong. The t-shirt outfits were marketed to everyone, not just to Americans.

People of all nationalities went through hell these past few days, I went through hell getting mine, I assume everyone else is as well, trying to get the outfit only to be told, "Sorry, Americans only."

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

My two cents.

Lisa.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > At this point I am guessing lawyers from the two companies are involved so we probably will not hear from anet until kft says something. Before it was a botched launch but it was clear to everyone that anet had nothing to do with it, it was all kft's stuff. Now though, kft is changing the terms of the deal that they struck with anet (I am guessing less signups means less money anet gets for the codes). If so, kft is in breach. Now not only that, but they are dealing with breach of contract with app users and the EU GDPR as well .... this whole thing was a rather predictable mess.

> >

> > Botched launcher... hmmm I am not buying that for one second, more like they never checked the detail of the promo properly before promoting through their own tools, .. ANET even took the trouble of getting the promo translated for specific EU language servers . so yes ANET are certainly not blameless in this mess, both parties have played a very poor hand here and yet again has the potential to turn ugly.

>

> Neither of us know what the terms of the agreement were. However I would be willing to bet they would not have spent the money to translate it if they knew it would be restricted. The cached screenshot of the tea website leads credence to that.

Absolutely.. as I have already said in this thread, which is why both parties are to blame here whether through human error or purposely misleading players. My guess would be that KFT have a lot of legal stuff being fired at them currently and it has the potential as I have said, to turn ugly.

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > > @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > > > > I had my comments removed. lol Careful guys. You could possibly get banned for complaining. No more freedom of speech, lol probably US-only.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > *sigh* I really wish people knew what 'freedom of speech' means before they complain about it. The only entity that can violate it is the government (and that is if you had the right in the first place, like it was in your country's bill of rights). Otherwise it is the golden rule, they that have the gold (ie, own the server resources) make the rules.

> > >

> > > The whole POINT of freedom of speech is to speak without fear of being censored, restrained or prevented. Hence the First Amendment in the U.S, so no. The point IS that the goverment [in this case ANet] should not censor people when they speak their mind [which ANet happily does when they disagree AND throw warnings into accounts to prevent them from speaking any further].

> >

> > Um, no. Google what 'freedom of speech' means and I think you will be VERY suprised.

>

> By all means, google it and tell me what you find.

>

> First thing that pops up: "the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint."

I assume the wikipedia entry, right? Read the whole thing. Better yet, read any article (on wiki or another good source) on the *exact* freedom of speech you think applies, ie, for americans it is "freedom of speech in the united states".

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> > > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > > > @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > > > > > I had my comments removed. lol Careful guys. You could possibly get banned for complaining. No more freedom of speech, lol probably US-only.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > *sigh* I really wish people knew what 'freedom of speech' means before they complain about it. The only entity that can violate it is the government (and that is if you had the right in the first place, like it was in your country's bill of rights). Otherwise it is the golden rule, they that have the gold (ie, own the server resources) make the rules.

> > > >

> > > > The whole POINT of freedom of speech is to speak without fear of being censored, restrained or prevented. Hence the First Amendment in the U.S, so no. The point IS that the goverment [in this case ANet] should not censor people when they speak their mind [which ANet happily does when they disagree AND throw warnings into accounts to prevent them from speaking any further].

> > >

> > > Um, no. Google what 'freedom of speech' means and I think you will be VERY suprised.

> >

> > By all means, google it and tell me what you find.

> >

> > First thing that pops up: "the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint."

>

> I assume the wikipedia entry, right? Read the whole thing. Better yet, read any article (on wiki or another good source) on the *exact* freedom of speech you think applies, ie, for americans it is "freedom of speech in the united states".

Here ill spare them the trouble so that this thread can get back on topic:

"The First Amendment's constitutional right of free speech, which is applicable to state and local governments under the incorporation doctrine, only prevents government restrictions on speech, not restrictions imposed by private individuals or businesses unless they are acting on behalf of the government."

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> The whole POINT of freedom of speech is to speak without fear of being censored, restrained or prevented. Hence the First Amendment in the U.S, so no. The point IS that the goverment [in this case ANet] should not censor people when they speak their mind [which ANet happily does when they disagree AND throw warnings into accounts to prevent them from speaking any further].

Nope. When it says Congress it means the US government. It doesn’t mean or include businesses. ANet is not your government nor is it part of the US Congress.

>**Congress** shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

>[Gaile Gray](https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Banned-for-7-days-for-swearing#post2135459)

>U.S. Constitution Amendment #1 refers to right to free speech and places restrictions on the government in relation to preventing free speech. It does not guarantee anyone the right to “free speech” on a private game server.

> @"Blanche Neige.7241" said:

> > @"Jevati.4328" said:

> > Now, they're probably trying to decide if they keep going with the promo, if they cancel it

>

> I don't see how they could cancel it since some players already got the advertised gievaway items.

>

Yeah, I don't mean try to take anything away that already happened, or revoke codes/items that were already received. I meant like... stop it from here on out. And then, to make it fair, make those items available to people in a different way, such as the frequent suggestion in this thread that they put the outfit in the gem store for 0 gems. I'm also not saying that I think they will cancel it; I'm just kind of talking out loud about ideas they might be tossing around in their meetings. Who knows what they're brainstorming or what the lawyers will say is even possible at this point. I'm betting whatever's going on is pretty complicated, legally, though, because this disaster started 5 days ago, and 2 of those days have not been U.S. holidays, which means there's been two whole business days with no solution/fix/official response. If it were an easy thing, they would've said something already, and then we'd all be reacting to whatever they said, instead of endlessly speculating during this silence like we are.

Currently, it is not known if this or a similar promotion will come to the EU as well. Some EU players have gotten keys from this one in the past days before the text changed to US-only. It is quite possible that ArenaNet could partner with an European brand to serve the EU players. [in the past, this is exactly what ArenaNet did](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Massive_Mini_Pet_Giveaway "In the past, this is exactly what ArenaNet did").

Wait for an official update.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > The app does not show any rewards at all for me. Not sure if it can detect fake social media accounts or fake geo location or whatever the problem is now. I simulated a location in Texas and made a fake instagram account with nothing in it

>

> It's not working right now, for anyone. They disabled it yesterday, allegedly while they fixed the problem with some people creating dozens of codes, but since then all we've heard is that the terms and conditions have been amended to say it's restricted to the USA, 1 code per user and the codes have an expiry date.

>

> At a guess they're keeping it disabled until they have the tech in place to actually enforce that. But since we've been told nothing except they're working on it we can't know for sure.

Ah I thought it would be working again, just restricted to US

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > The app does not show any rewards at all for me. Not sure if it can detect fake social media accounts or fake geo location or whatever the problem is now. I simulated a location in Texas and made a fake instagram account with nothing in it

> >

> > It's not working right now, for anyone. They disabled it yesterday, allegedly while they fixed the problem with some people creating dozens of codes, but since then all we've heard is that the terms and conditions have been amended to say it's restricted to the USA, 1 code per user and the codes have an expiry date.

> >

> > At a guess they're keeping it disabled until they have the tech in place to actually enforce that. But since we've been told nothing except they're working on it we can't know for sure.

>

> Ah I thought it would be working again, just restricted to US

Nope, it is paused for everyone now:

> Guild Wars 2 Sweepstakes

> THE KUNG FU TEA x GUILD WARS 2 DLC PROMOTION IS CURRENTLY PAUSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. WE'RE WORKING TO GET THIS RESOLVED.

> THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE!

https://www.kungfutea.com/blog/2018/8/31/guildwars2sweepstakes

> @"Angelica Dream.7103" said:

> Honestly, I think most of the people here just want the shirt. If Anet would just do a general release of it to everyone. This whole mess would settle down.

>

That's all I want out of it. I'd even be happy if there was a little event chain, or a collection or some achievement to do to earn it.

I don't care for the shirt I wanted the heroic edition to remove the restrictions of the account I made for my mother about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't assume that "most people want just the shirt" because that is what many write here in the forum. There are plenty of people who would have wanted to upgrade old alt-accounts or accounts of family members who rarely play and never wanted to pay for an expansion before even having completed the core world (like my mother).

It is easier and less embarrassing to write "I really wanted that shirt" than to write "I wanted to save the money for HoT and convert a free account into a paid one". Plus there are of course all the people who wanted an additional account to farm login rewards but would not write this here.

@"Gaile Gray.6029"

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guild-Wars-2-Dragon-Emblem-Outfit-Cosmetic-Code-GW2-Logo-T-Shirt-Digital-Item-/153168055758?oid=153163653738

I think to stop this anet should remove all codes given reset it. And send every player the outfit :)

I received 5 sets of codes and given it all to players in game and others in social media. My husband still have a few free ones. Both of us did not use any bot of some kind the ap was crashing while we were trying to claim the reward.. and all if sudden we get the mail with multiple codes. I saw in Reddit some others get over 100 sets of codes . If given free to other users that's fine but if players selling this in eBay like that.. I think it should be stopped.

I don't think ppl should make profit with free codes like that

For now I guess we'll have to wait some days until we get an official response, that hopefully fixes all this thing and we receive what was promised in the beginning of this promotion, the heroic edition and the shirt for everyone world-wide.

Also I want to add something for the previous comments... US is North America only, not America as a whole... I'm from south america and we're excluded too of all this stuff.

Well the silver lining is I now have an Android Emulator which is something I had been considering.

The dark cloud is the obfuscation/pseudo-gaslighting that's now occuring with Kung Fu Tea. I mean I could accept that it's no longer available; I don't accept that it was NEVER available worldwide when they quite clearly split hairs over the 'DLC'/sweepstakes having separate entry requirements and then altering it after-the-fact.

> @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> I don't care for the shirt I wanted the heroic edition to remove the restrictions of the account I made for my mother about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't assume that "most people want just the shirt" because that is what many write here in the forum. There are plenty of people who would have wanted to upgrade old alt-accounts or accounts of family members who rarely play and never wanted to pay for an expansion before even having completed the core world (like my mother).

>

> It is easier and less embarrassing to write "I really wanted that shirt" than to write "I wanted to save the money for HoT and convert a free account into a paid one". Plus there are of course all the people who wanted an additional account to farm login rewards but would not write this here.

You still need the code ? I only used the shirt one so i think i can give away the deluxe one (it does nothing for me).