Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KFT could have region locked their app in google play to region lock EU out... they didnt do this, the app was in multi EU languages, and the wording was chosen to say US only for sweepsake, but not for the dl content.. if it was meant then surly it all would have said US only.... across the top nice and clear.

- Does anyone buy this?

So, I download the KFT app on my already very limited storage phone (deleted an app or two to make room), provided my Instagram info, registered and made an account with KFT and yet no code. Submitted a ticket and its been well over a week or so and haven't even had a response, I'm not asking for complicated stuff, I did what was advertised and yet am not being accommodated, a simple response explaining if there will be codes given out would be better then no response.

I have KFT on my phone and kinda want to get rid of it if I'm not going to receive a code.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"fatihso.7258" said:

> > When do we get an update on the matter? Half month almost passed.

>

> Have you asked Kung Fu Tea? We're answering questions that are properly addressed to us, but cannot answer questions that need to addressed to the company that is hosting the promotion. I'm very sorry that we do not have answers to every question, but truly we do not.

Here's a few question properly addressed to you:

When the promotion was signed off, was it agreed that it was for US residents only?

If so, How and why did the promotion details end up in GW2 the launcher for EU players and why did no one at Anet anticipate the inevitable negative reaction ?

If not, Why are Anet not now insisting that KFT meet the terms of the agreement?

> @"Daroon.1736" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > @"fatihso.7258" said:

> > > When do we get an update on the matter? Half month almost passed.

> >

> > Have you asked Kung Fu Tea? We're answering questions that are properly addressed to us, but cannot answer questions that need to addressed to the company that is hosting the promotion. I'm very sorry that we do not have answers to every question, but truly we do not.

>

> Here's a few question properly addressed to you:

> When the promotion was signed off, was it agreed that it was for US residents only?

>

> If so, How and why did the promotion details end up in GW2 the launcher for EU players and why did no one at Anet anticipate the inevitable negative reaction ?

> If not, Why are Anet not now insisting that KFT meet the terms of the agreement?

I would like to add something:

The promo in the launcher is only displayed when I am logged in. The region in my account data is "Europe".

That means the promo in the launcher was clearly addressed to the EU players.

You know, I'm a big Guild Wars franchise/ArenaNet fan, but...is it being suggested that a company can say/promise/agree to run a promotion, and then not provide the items offered, and ArenaNet has no stake? It kinda seems like ArenaNet is saying, "Not my problem." I'm sure this can't be the case, and I hope that ArenaNet would not allow companies to use their good name, and then just not deliver. Seems like bad press to me.

>

> Have you asked Kung Fu Tea? We're answering questions that are properly addressed to us, but cannot answer questions that need to addressed to the company that is hosting the promotion. I'm very sorry that we do not have answers to every question, but truly we do not.

Never thought Anet would actually cop-out like that. Very disappointing. This thread is filled with pretty much the same 3 questions asked in myriad ways, and at least 1 of those questions pertains especially to Anets part in this farce.

1. When will the promo resmue? -> KFT only.

2. Was the non-sweepstakes part meant to be US only from the start? -> Anet and KFT as they surely signed contracts that included the particulars.

3. Why was the promo advertised outside the US, even in translated form, without stating it is US only? -> Anet only.

>

I'm sure I'm reading too much into this, but it looks like what someone at ANet's front office would say when KFT's back office stopped taking their calls, i.e. they are in the dark as much as we are. ANet can't tell us to pressure KFT, but maybe they hope that their fans will get some answers.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> You know, I'm a big Guild Wars franchise/ArenaNet fan, but...is it being suggested that a company can say/promise/agree to run a promotion, and then not provide the items offered, and ArenaNet has no stake? It kinda seems like ArenaNet is saying, "Not my problem." I'm sure this can't be the case, and I hope that ArenaNet would not allow companies to use their good name, and then just not deliver. Seems like bad press to me.

Yeah.... not buying this latest offering either …. it was clearly a worldwide promo only the sweepstake was localised for obvious reasons.

If that is the best excuse that could be given from ANET about this issue why then has it taken so long to get that explanation.. sorry I am not buying that.

I do not think anyone is blaming ANET for this mess or the bait and switch malarkey KFT have pulled, but for ANET to play silent after pulling the promo from their launcher for as long as they had and then suddenly offer out this statement.... nah sorry there is a very bad taste left behind and I don't just mean the bad tea here.

I would now suggest that all EU players remove their SM links and get hammering KFT for instant removal of all their personal data.

If KFT don't want to play ball then lodge a complaint with EU GDPR organising body and have this bullcrap looked into.

> We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run by Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

As far as I've seen they're not addressing the fact that the terms were changed partway through, only claiming that "It was meant to be US only", which completely avoids the next question of "How are you going to fix this mess".

On Anet's side, completely ignoring all the KFT rubbish, are there plans for non-US players to get the outfit and heroic edition for free? I'm honestly sick and tired of being treated like a second-class player and being left out of **EVERYTHING** when I've spent literally thousands of dollars on this game (possibly even tens of thousands, I don't keep track), and the only reason I'm being left out is because I'm not in America.

> @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run by Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

>

> As far as I've seen they're not addressing the fact that the terms were changed partway through, only claiming that "It was meant to be US only", which completely avoids the next question of "How are you going to fix this mess".

>

> On Anet's side, completely ignoring all the KFT rubbish, are there plans for non-US players to get the outfit and heroic edition for free? I'm honestly sick and tired of being treated like a second-class player and being left out of **EVERYTHING** when I've spent literally thousands of dollars on this game (possibly even tens of thousands, I don't keep track), and the only reason I'm being left out is because I'm not in America.

I would say ANET are looking to do nothing to appease EU players.. hence the statement today to quash claims ANET were running it as a worldwide promo.. ya know advertise it across their EU players launchers, to the point of having it specifically translated for all those US only players that only speak german, French etc then pull it without any notice and stay silent for a week .... then hope we swallow it all down with a nice cup of tea.

>

Simply, wow. You can't just put all responsibility on KFT when you were the ones promoting this whole mess...

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run by Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

> >

> > As far as I've seen they're not addressing the fact that the terms were changed partway through, only claiming that "It was meant to be US only", which completely avoids the next question of "How are you going to fix this mess".

> >

> > On Anet's side, completely ignoring all the KFT rubbish, are there plans for non-US players to get the outfit and heroic edition for free? I'm honestly sick and tired of being treated like a second-class player and being left out of **EVERYTHING** when I've spent literally thousands of dollars on this game (possibly even tens of thousands, I don't keep track), and the only reason I'm being left out is because I'm not in America.

>

> I would say ANET are looking to do nothing to appease EU players.. hence the statement today to quash claims ANET were running it as a worldwide promo.. ya know advertise it across their EU players launchers, to the point of having it specifically translated for all those US only players that only speak german, French etc then pull it without any notice and stay silent for a week .... then hope we swallow it all down with a nice cup of tea.

Again, not an EU player, which is why I phrased it as "non-US player".

> @"Critical Lag.9075" said:

> >

> > Have you asked Kung Fu Tea? We're answering questions that are properly addressed to us, but cannot answer questions that need to addressed to the company that is hosting the promotion. I'm very sorry that we do not have answers to every question, but truly we do not.

>

> Simply, wow. You can't just put all responsibility on KFT when you were the ones promoting this whole mess...

It was a cross promo.. but yeah imo ANET are not blameless here and to offer no support to a large chunk of it worldwide player base in all this, leaves a bad taste as I have said.

> @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run by Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

> > >

> > > As far as I've seen they're not addressing the fact that the terms were changed partway through, only claiming that "It was meant to be US only", which completely avoids the next question of "How are you going to fix this mess".

> > >

> > > On Anet's side, completely ignoring all the KFT rubbish, are there plans for non-US players to get the outfit and heroic edition for free? I'm honestly sick and tired of being treated like a second-class player and being left out of **EVERYTHING** when I've spent literally thousands of dollars on this game (possibly even tens of thousands, I don't keep track), and the only reason I'm being left out is because I'm not in America.

> >

> > I would say ANET are looking to do nothing to appease EU players.. hence the statement today to quash claims ANET were running it as a worldwide promo.. ya know advertise it across their EU players launchers, to the point of having it specifically translated for all those US only players that only speak german, French etc then pull it without any notice and stay silent for a week .... then hope we swallow it all down with a nice cup of tea.

>

> Again, not an EU player, which is why I phrased it as "non-US player".

Yeah.. actually your right, this is not just about EU players its all non-us players. I stand corrected :)

> @"Critical Lag.9075" said:

> >

>

> Simply, wow. You can't just put all responsibility on KFT when you were the ones promoting this whole mess...

I mean, KFT are the ones running the promotion and it is their app and changes in policies that these issues are revolving around. Regardless if doing the promotion with KFT was a bad move or not, ANet can't answer questions or make decisions that are on KFT's end (especially if they're already under some contract for said promotion). It would be like trying to ask ANet/their support questions about like Tyrian Tarot or something from For Fans By Fans.

>

Okay, that's an even worse answer than what I expected. It's not even an answer or a "we don't know yet".

But, okay. Here's a question just for you:

Was it intended that the codes would unlock a free account to full paid status?

To all the people getting upset about the EU not being included, I know it sucks to feel left out of a promotion, but there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than you realize. Different countries have different laws about how things like this can be promoted.

Is Anet deliberately ignoring EU players? Highly unlikely.

Should Anet find a EU-based company to run a similar (hopefully better handled) promotion for those who can't participate in this one? Yes, they should. But we don't know why they make their choices, we can only assume.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> To all the people getting upset about the EU not being included, I know it sucks to feel left out of a promotion, but there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than you realize. Different countries have different laws about how things like this can be promoted.

>

> Is Anet deliberately ignoring EU players? Highly unlikely.

> Should Anet find a EU-based company to run a similar (hopefully better handled) promotion for those who can't participate in this one? Yes, they should. But we don't know why they make their choices, we can only assume.

I think your confusing the sweepstake, that was always US only.. for the reasons you have mentioned.. but the download the app, link your SM and get a code or two.. I do not believe has any worldwide restrictions otherwise google, apple etc would be a mine field to navigate.

Fact is those same online facilities offer specific tools for companies to restrict their downloads.. there were no such restrictions in place.

The only restriction made clear by KFT was the sweepstake for the deluxe.. I mean obviously players from the UK aren't going to jump on a plane to go grab a KFT super duper milky tea and come home again even if you we were to ignore the fact there are localised gambling restrictions, lottery rules etc.

The heroic code promo I would hazard a guess and say has no such issues.. its free, there is no entry fee and certainly does not require anyone to go travelling just for a cuppa.

Deliberately ignoring.. no, I agree ANET aren't doing that, BUT neither are they supporting a large chunk of their worldwide player base that has seemingly been duped into handing out SM data access in return for codes that were unrestricted until KFT changed the terms mid promo forcing ANET to bring down their own cross promo advertising on their launcher, which of course they just happen to take the trouble to have translate for all those non English speaking US only players (which of course sounded like a reasonable explanation that only took a week to put out)... nah something is definitely off with all this and I am of the mind ANETs latest statement is nothing more than an attempt to shift focus off themselves and downplay their part in all this.

I mean one minute you have MO speaking out publicly in support of its playerbase when employees berate and insult its players, then completely turn that support on its head for a large chunk of those same players when a cross promo they have a hand in goes belly up in a big way.

This isn't just about players not getting what was promoted, or the fact they are now excluded, its also about being duped into downloading the app in the first place and opening up their SM account data for selling on to the highest bidder without KFT (or to a lesser extent ANET) upholding their side of the agreement.