Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Digger.8659" said:

> > Gaile will there be any way for players without a smartphone or a social media account to acquire the codes?

>

> You can use the emulator like BlueStacks App Player for example you still have to create a social media account tho.

I 'd rather the outfit code be available in the Black Lion Store then risk my information by downloading another app.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Turk.5460" said:

> The people trying to play the "oh no my privacy" card need to sit the heck down and say what they really mean - "I feel that it is unfair that someone else is getting something that I am not." *Which is a valid point to make in this particular case*, but please stop playing the stupid "Datamine, privacy, my precious information!" cards, you were gleefully willing to give out all that information in the first place...it is very cringy.

Cringy? Get a grip! we have been duped.. the carrot was dangled, we entered our site of the bargain..

> @"Digger.8659" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Digger.8659" said:

> > > Gaile will there be any way for players without a smartphone or a social media account to acquire the codes?

> >

> > You can use the emulator like BlueStacks App Player for example you still have to create a social media account tho.

>

> I 'd rather the outfit code be available in the Black Lion Store then risk my information by downloading another app.

Well we dont know if this will happen at all and untill the current promotion ends they wont say anything mate.

Edit

And your not downloading another app I thought you said you dident have a smart phone, this is a program that simulate that on your computer and you can make a new social media account on twitter for example with what ever info you like and link it.

> Well we dont know if this will happen at all and untill the current promotion ends they wont say anything mate.

> Edit

> And your not downloading another app I thought you said you dident have a smart phone, this is a program that simulate that on your computer and you can make a new social media account on twitter for example with what ever info you like and link it.

By app i meant application for my computer.

> @"Digger.8659" said:

> > Well we dont know if this will happen at all and untill the current promotion ends they wont say anything mate.

> > Edit

> > And your not downloading another app I thought you said you dident have a smart phone, this is a program that simulate that on your computer and you can make a new social media account on twitter for example with what ever info you like and link it.

> By app i meant application for my computer.

>

I don't blame you. The BlueStacks website is not at all like what I was expecting to see for an Android emulator website.

However, it's _not the only Android emulator._ For example, there's the emulator that ships as part of Google's Android Studio app development tool. Or you can install Android in a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMware.

Android Studio is the one I would use, if I absolutely had to (though the idea of installing Android in a VM also appeals to me). And in hindsight, perhaps I should have done this from the start.

Basically, there are many options yet remaining for you to "participate" in this promotion besides just hoping for it to be dropped into the Gem store.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Digger.8659" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"Digger.8659" said:

> > > > Gaile will there be any way for players without a smartphone or a social media account to acquire the codes?

> > >

> > > You can use the emulator like BlueStacks App Player for example you still have to create a social media account tho.

> >

> > I 'd rather the outfit code be available in the Black Lion Store then risk my information by downloading another app.

>

> Well we dont know if this will happen at all and untill the current promotion ends they wont say anything mate.

> Edit

> And your not downloading another app I thought you said you dident have a smart phone, this is a program that simulate that on your computer and you can make a new social media account on twitter for example with what ever info you like and link it.

Windows 10 refers as download programs as "apps" now, so it is only fair to expect that terminology from here on out.

> @"Artanis.4963" said:

> > @"Digger.8659" said:

> > > Well we dont know if this will happen at all and untill the current promotion ends they wont say anything mate.

> > > Edit

> > > And your not downloading another app I thought you said you dident have a smart phone, this is a program that simulate that on your computer and you can make a new social media account on twitter for example with what ever info you like and link it.

> > By app i meant application for my computer.

> >

>

> I don't blame you. The BlueStacks website is not at all like what I was expecting to see for an Android emulator website.

>

> However, it's _not the only Android emulator._ For example, there's the emulator that ships as part of Google's Android Studio app development tool. Or you can install Android in a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMware.

>

> Android Studio is the one I would use, if I absolutely had to (though the idea of installing Android in a VM also appeals to me). And in hindsight, perhaps I should have done this from the start.

>

> Basically, there are many options yet remaining for you to "participate" in this promotion besides just hoping for it to be dropped into the Gem store.

What I use is eclipse. These emulators are made for developing apps though, so just be aware that some things may have sharp edges.

> @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > @"Digger.8659" said:

> > > > > Gaile will there be any way for players without a smartphone or a social media account to acquire the codes?

> > > >

> > > > You can use the emulator like BlueStacks App Player for example you still have to create a social media account tho.

> > >

> > > I 'd rather the outfit code be available in the Black Lion Store then risk my information by downloading another app.

> >

> > Well we dont know if this will happen at all and untill the current promotion ends they wont say anything mate.

> > Edit

> > And your not downloading another app I thought you said you dident have a smart phone, this is a program that simulate that on your computer and you can make a new social media account on twitter for example with what ever info you like and link it.

>

> Windows 10 refers as download programs as "apps" now, so it is only fair to expect that terminology from here on out.

Thus MS continues their rep of defining standards against what the rest of the industry uses.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> Thank you for your continued patience and feedback as we work through issues around the Kung Fu Tea Guild Wars 2 promotion. Both Kung Fu Tea and ArenaNet are continuing to troubleshoot the technical difficulties that affected the roll-out of Guild Wars 2 serial codes. Because of the issues, on Friday, September 7 any distributed serial code that had not yet been redeemed was deactivated. We’re working to make sure all eligible participants who were not able to redeem their serial code reward will be able to reclaim a new set of serial codes after the campaign resumes.

>

> For additional information as it becomes available, please visit the [Kung Fu Tea blog](https://www.kungfutea.com/blog/ "Kung Fu Tea blog"). We all appreciate your continued patience as we work to ensure a positive experience for everyone.

>

Wow. You're still working with those hacks even after all this? It's too late for this "positive experience" by the way. Just end this farce and save everyone involved further embarrassment. I held up my end of the bargain when I was able to finally attach Twitter to their stupid app yet I got no codes and now you expect us to work with these people again? I'd just as soon never see the words "Kung Fu Tea" ever again.

> We’re working to make sure all eligible participants who were not able to redeem their serial code reward will be able to reclaim a new set of serial codes after the campaign resumes.

And what about those who were eligible when the promotion came out but who now aren't?! Everyone is skirting the problem and it's pissing players off!!

I'm still interested in the fact that the images for the two entries on the KFT blog pertaining to this promotion seem to imply that there's no additional steps (such as linking a social media account) between downloading the app and getting the codes.

![](https://i.imgur.com/4RMlpoF.png "")

Image from https://www.kungfutea.com/blog/

I read the phrasing "Just for" as a limit of the actions need to get the reward. And normally I don't include linking my social media accounts as part of downloading an app, but that could just be me.

> @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > @"Digger.8659" said:

> > > > > Gaile will there be any way for players without a smartphone or a social media account to acquire the codes?

> > > >

> > > > You can use the emulator like BlueStacks App Player for example you still have to create a social media account tho.

> > >

> > > I 'd rather the outfit code be available in the Black Lion Store then risk my information by downloading another app.

> >

> > Edit

>

> Windows 10 refers as download programs as "apps" now, so it is only fair to expect that terminology from here on out.

I thought apps were those obnoxious pseudo-programs you can download in the Microsoft Store, that don't appear on your taskbar and are virtually impossible to close. For some reason Microsoft likes pushing those into your face. For example Skype is available both as an app and as a program. BlueStacks is a full-fledged desktop program, not an app.

As for the promotion: The biggest problem was people (presumable bots) abusing the promotion to get hundreds of codes. I would simply tell everyone to link their SM-accounts to the app and then send out all codes at once when the promo ends. One code per app. This would make it a lot harder for hackers to get multiple codes.

BTW if anyone who said they just want the Heroic Edition and would be willing to pay for it is interested the 3 armour sets - Primeval, Krytan and Profane - are back in the gem store so you can buy whichever of those you want, some Heroic Boosters and an 18 slot mithril bag and you've got it. (Or just buy the armour and skip the rest.)

Sadly if you want the dragon t-shirt it's still a matter of waiting for KFT to get their act together. They said we'd get an update by the end of the week, but I'm not sure if that "we're still working on it" was it.

> @"MornJack.3579" said:

> The worst part in all this pathetic story, is that you can find in Tyria the "A side adventurers", who feel bad when they see the outfit ingame, because they can't have it. And the "B side adventurers", who feels bad and don't even want to use this outfit because they feel guilty of being lucky ...

> :-(

Yep. I wish I'd given the codes I got to my friends who really wanted it. At the time I was thinking I'll figure the whole process out and then I can help them get their own codes later on. I was actually writing an unofficial FAQ for this forum when the promotion was pulled.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"MornJack.3579" said:

> > The worst part in all this pathetic story, is that you can find in Tyria the "A side adventurers", who feel bad when they see the outfit ingame, because they can't have it. And the "B side adventurers", who feels bad and don't even want to use this outfit because they feel guilty of being lucky ...

> > :-(

>

> Yep. I wish I'd given the codes I got to my friends who really wanted it. At the time I was thinking I'll figure the whole process out and then I can help them get their own codes later on. I was actually writing an unofficial FAQ for this forum when the promotion was pulled.

There's C side too: people who got the outfit from a previous promotion

edit: not sure why it replied to this comment when I am pretty sure I clicked to reply to the one this was replying too but oh well it is 5am lol

> @"Turk.5460" said:

> The people trying to play the "oh no my privacy" card need to sit the heck down and say what they really mean - "I feel that it is unfair that someone else is getting something that I am not." *Which is a valid point to make in this particular case*, but please stop playing the stupid "Datamine, privacy, my precious information!" cards, you were gleefully willing to give out all that information in the first place...it is very cringy.

The problem is that I were duped into providing my private data and post history to a third-party company by a company which actually had my trust, ArenaNet. I trusted that ArenaNet would only partner up with a company it itself deemed trustworthy. The entire premise of providing your private data in a promotion such as this is that it is supposed to be a trade as well; the third-party company get access to my data, and in the cases where apps are involved, their app gets hits in the respective application store(s) giving it a trending status and exposure to those not even aware of/interested in the promotion (granted they got a terrible rating out of it, but the idea is for this to happen without the bad feedback) — in return I get something I want; it's a trade.

Unfortunately, ArenaNet affiliated itself with an untrustworthy company which just up and changed the terms 5 days in after numerous problems. This results in me losing my trust in ArenaNet, since I trusted them to at least make sure they affiliate themselves with trustworthy companies, not some unprofessional one which KFT clearly is. On top of that, ArenaNet are seemingly now basically just brushing it under a rug, even though _they_ sent _their_ non-US customers over to KFT's blog which had misleading terms. ArenaNet, the company, are not exempt from blame in this whole mess. There's no excuse for the terms change happening after 5 days, at all. Since ArenaNet is a cross-promotion partner, they should have posted the accurate terms themselves here on their official site in a News post, or at the very least had one of their lawyers look at the terms on the KFT blog before it went live to make sure there's no room for "Oops, we made a mistake, tough luck guys, thanks for giving us your private data though!" If it were always going to be US-only, it should have been made clear from the very start to avoid customers like myself from feeling scammed into providing private data for nothing.

It's genuinely not so much about the outfit or Heroic code anymore. It's about the absolute disgusting bait and switch that happened and that ArenaNet seems unwilling to do anything to try and resolve this mess for their non-US consumers, even though it is a cross-promotion and KFT even touts it as a partnership in their very first blog post sentence. Keep in mind that private data = money, as it is sold on to various companies for targeting ads and otherwise. I'm well aware of that and don't technically have a problem with it. But they basically got money out of me, while I got nothing in return.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Sadly if you want the dragon t-shirt it's still a matter of waiting for KFT to get their act together. They said we'd get an update by the end of the week, but I'm not sure if that "we're still working on it" was it.

I will lay good odds that they excuse the fact they do not reply today on the hurricane. Forget the fact that their headquarters are in NYC, nowhere near the Carolinas at the rate a storm moves.

> @"Absconditus.6804" said:

> > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > The people trying to play the "oh no my privacy" card need to sit the heck down and say what they really mean - "I feel that it is unfair that someone else is getting something that I am not." *Which is a valid point to make in this particular case*, but please stop playing the stupid "Datamine, privacy, my precious information!" cards, you were gleefully willing to give out all that information in the first place...it is very cringy.

>

> The problem is that I were duped into providing my private data and post history to a third-party company by a company which actually had my trust, ArenaNet. I trusted that ArenaNet would only partner up with a company it itself deemed trustworthy. The entire premise of providing your private data in a promotion such as this is that it is supposed to be a trade as well; the third-party company get access to my data, and in the cases where apps are involved, their app gets hits in the respective application store(s) giving it a trending status and exposure to those not even aware of/interested in the promotion (granted they got a terrible rating out of it, but the idea is for this to happen without the bad feedback) — in return I get something I want; it's a trade.

>

> Unfortunately, ArenaNet affiliated itself with an untrustworthy company which just up and changed the terms 5 days in after numerous problems. This results in me losing my trust in ArenaNet, since I trusted them to at least make sure they affiliate themselves with trustworthy companies, not some unprofessional one which KFT clearly is. On top of that, ArenaNet are seemingly now basically just brushing it under a rug, even though _they_ sent _their_ non-US customers over to KFT's blog which had misleading terms. ArenaNet, the company, are not exempt from blame in this whole mess. There's no excuse for the terms change happening after 5 days, at all. Since ArenaNet is a cross-promotion partner, they should have posted the accurate terms themselves here on their official site in a News post, or at the very least had one of their lawyers look at the terms on the KFT blog before it went live to make sure there's no room for "Oops, we made a mistake, tough luck guys, thanks for giving us your private data though!" If it were always going to be US-only, it should have been made clear from the very start to avoid customers like myself from feeling scammed into providing private data for nothing.

>

> It's genuinely not so much about the outfit or Heroic code anymore. It's about the absolute disgusting bait and switch that happened and that ArenaNet seems unwilling to do anything to try and resolve this mess for their non-US consumers. Keep in mind that private data = money, as it is sold on to various companies for targeting ads and otherwise. I'm well aware of that and don't technically have a problem with it. But they basically got money out of me, while I got nothing in return.

To give anet the benefit of the doubt on this I place almost all of the blame on KFT. Yes, anet should have vetted them more, but otherwise they are probably in as much a bind if not more so .... would you want your customer base (and potential future customers) to be mad at your codes not working or even being sent while another company was using your name?

As some of us were saying last week this has probably gone well beyond a technical issue now. At this point lawyers for both companies will be involved going over any contracts with a fine tooth comb and until they mutually resolve things we will be a secondary problem. I just hope this issue does not get lost in the excitement of new content next week.

> > @"Etria.3642" said:

> > What about those who were never able to claim one in the first place?

>

> If you were not able to claim a code, please try again when the promotion resumes.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" Hey, can you put a sticky up mentioning the promotion is on pause? Every time this topic gets bumped up, it implies that it might still be going so it'd be a big help to those who can't read through this entire thread to know the current status of this promotion.

> @"DaFishBob.6518" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > @"Etria.3642" said:

> > > What about those who were never able to claim one in the first place?

> >

> > If you were not able to claim a code, please try again when the promotion resumes.

>

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" Hey, can you put a sticky up mentioning the promotion is on pause? Every time this topic gets bumped up, it implies that it might still be going so it'd be a big help to those who can't read through this entire thread to know the current status of this promotion.

Since KFT is the company running the promo (technically, Anet just provides the codes), you should be looking at *their* website as well, which does state that it is paused until further notice.