What kind of WvW player are you?

TheBravery.9615

When I saw the poll title I thought for a second that this could possibly be a well thought out and descriptive poll about the different types of people in WvW. But sadly it actually casts a negative tone on every "type" listed here. None of these types describe what I do in WvW, which is, part fights, part havoc, with NONE of the negative overtones the op listed above.

It would have been so cool if this had actually been a list of real WvW types/styles that people could identify with and select. Ah well...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Grim West.3194" said:

> When the game came out my guild was much more serious about it. We were hoping for the second coming of DAoC. But that bubble burst quickly.

So you were hoping for *more* AoE, *much much much much more* CC (for 10 times the duration as GW2), *even longer* structure defense and *less* solo balance? (less balance in general).

I also like my rose tinted glasses, they are very pretty.

> @"Turk.5460" said:

> > @"Grim West.3194" said:

> > When the game came out my guild was much more serious about it. We were hoping for the second coming of DAoC. But that bubble burst quickly.

>

> So you were hoping for *more* AoE, *much much much much more* CC (for 10 times the duration as GW2), *even longer* structure defense and *less* solo balance? (less balance in general).

>

> I also like my rose tinted glasses, they are very pretty.

Not necessarily. But GW2's version of RvR was (and still is) a huge disappointment for us. DAoC, Warhammer, Aion, etc. weren't perfect but they engaged us for a much longer time.

> > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > @"Grim West.3194" said:

> > > When the game came out my guild was much more serious about it. We were hoping for the second coming of DAoC. But that bubble burst quickly.

> >

> > So you were hoping for *more* AoE, *much much much much more* CC (for 10 times the duration as GW2), *even longer* structure defense and *less* solo balance? (less balance in general).

> >

> > I also like my rose tinted glasses, they are very pretty.

>

> Not necessarily. But GW2's version of RvR was (and still is) a huge disappointment for us. DAoC, Warhammer, Aion, etc. weren't perfect but they engaged us for a much longer time.

Why aren't you playing DAoC or Aion then? If WvW is a huge disappointment to you, I don't understand why you would continue to play.

> @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > > @"Grim West.3194" said:

> > > > When the game came out my guild was much more serious about it. We were hoping for the second coming of DAoC. But that bubble burst quickly.

> > >

> > > So you were hoping for *more* AoE, *much much much much more* CC (for 10 times the duration as GW2), *even longer* structure defense and *less* solo balance? (less balance in general).

> > >

> > > I also like my rose tinted glasses, they are very pretty.

> >

> > Not necessarily. But GW2's version of RvR was (and still is) a huge disappointment for us. DAoC, Warhammer, Aion, etc. weren't perfect but they engaged us for a much longer time.

>

> Why aren't you playing DAoC or Aion then? If WvW is a huge disappointment to you, I don't understand why you would continue to play.

My point was that we lasted much, much longer in those games than in GW2. No game is perfect and tech changes. Old games are old.

You may think that WvW is perfect. But most serious RvR players gave up on it soon after launch and for good reason.

Alliances may finally fix some of the main issues with WvW. Might even get some of those players back. I hope so, but won't be holding my breath.

> > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > > > @"Grim West.3194" said:

> > > > > When the game came out my guild was much more serious about it. We were hoping for the second coming of DAoC. But that bubble burst quickly.

> > > >

> > > > So you were hoping for *more* AoE, *much much much much more* CC (for 10 times the duration as GW2), *even longer* structure defense and *less* solo balance? (less balance in general).

> > > >

> > > > I also like my rose tinted glasses, they are very pretty.

> > >

> > > Not necessarily. But GW2's version of RvR was (and still is) a huge disappointment for us. DAoC, Warhammer, Aion, etc. weren't perfect but they engaged us for a much longer time.

> >

> > Why aren't you playing DAoC or Aion then? If WvW is a huge disappointment to you, I don't understand why you would continue to play.

>

> My point was that we lasted much, much longer in those games than in GW2. No game is perfect and tech changes. Old games are old.

>

> You may think that WvW is perfect. But most serious RvR players gave up on it soon after launch and for good reason.

I don't think WvW is perfect at all, but it's far more balanced and skill-based than DAoC RvR ever was. Though that's to be expected in an Action MMO where reflex and reaction are much more important. Each of those other games had terrible balance in both areas - abilities and gear. GW2 will never be perfect, no MMO will, but at least it doesn't have a "World of Gearcraft" sense to it as DAoC did - where you could easily defeat a far better player just by having the better gear.

Also forget the option for trollz. You know those people that consistently spam /team /map chat about anything and everything. Blame the tags when things go badly. Refuse to work with objective attacks or defense. Either to just sit there and watch mostly or are easily distracted outside of the social text box or even even troll seige/tactic pull just for the lols that may occur later. (characteristic, will often share some real-life thing not important to the game experience of others or being inebriated..typically finding their own behavior amusing) Note, heavily-related to PIP farming/auto-treb/balista SMC or towers/outer wall repairing SMC.

> > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > > > @"Grim West.3194" said:

> > > > > When the game came out my guild was much more serious about it. We were hoping for the second coming of DAoC. But that bubble burst quickly.

> > > >

> > > > So you were hoping for *more* AoE, *much much much much more* CC (for 10 times the duration as GW2), *even longer* structure defense and *less* solo balance? (less balance in general).

> > > >

> > > > I also like my rose tinted glasses, they are very pretty.

> > >

> > > Not necessarily. But GW2's version of RvR was (and still is) a huge disappointment for us. DAoC, Warhammer, Aion, etc. weren't perfect but they engaged us for a much longer time.

> >

> > Why aren't you playing DAoC or Aion then? If WvW is a huge disappointment to you, I don't understand why you would continue to play.

>

> My point was that we lasted much, much longer in those games than in GW2. No game is perfect and tech changes. Old games are old.

>

> You may think that WvW is perfect. But most serious RvR players gave up on it soon after launch and for good reason.

>

> Alliances may finally fix some of the main issues with WvW. Might even get some of those players back. I hope so, but won't be holding my breath.

Crowfall

> @"Artaz.3819" said:

> > > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > > @"Grim West.3194" said:

> > > > > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > > > > @"Grim West.3194" said:

> > > > > > When the game came out my guild was much more serious about it. We were hoping for the second coming of DAoC. But that bubble burst quickly.

> > > > >

> > > > > So you were hoping for *more* AoE, *much much much much more* CC (for 10 times the duration as GW2), *even longer* structure defense and *less* solo balance? (less balance in general).

> > > > >

> > > > > I also like my rose tinted glasses, they are very pretty.

> > > >

> > > > Not necessarily. But GW2's version of RvR was (and still is) a huge disappointment for us. DAoC, Warhammer, Aion, etc. weren't perfect but they engaged us for a much longer time.

> > >

> > > Why aren't you playing DAoC or Aion then? If WvW is a huge disappointment to you, I don't understand why you would continue to play.

> >

> > My point was that we lasted much, much longer in those games than in GW2. No game is perfect and tech changes. Old games are old.

> >

> > You may think that WvW is perfect. But most serious RvR players gave up on it soon after launch and for good reason.

> >

> > Alliances may finally fix some of the main issues with WvW. Might even get some of those players back. I hope so, but won't be holding my breath.

>

> Crowfall

Which, like the other purported MMO that begins with 'C' might be out this century.

> @"Israel.7056" said:

> > Not necessarily. But GW2's version of RvR was (and still is) a huge disappointment for us. DAoC, Warhammer, Aion, etc. weren't perfect but they engaged us for a much longer time.

>

> Lol Aion really?

Ikr

I consider the year I went hard into Aion a huge waste of my life -_-

> @"Artaz.3819" said:

> Also forget the option for trollz. You know those people that consistently spam /team /map chat about anything and everything. Blame the tags when things go badly. Refuse to work with objective attacks or defense. Either to just sit there and watch mostly or are easily distracted outside of the social text box or even even troll seige/tactic pull just for the lols that may occur later. (characteristic, will often share some real-life thing not important to the game experience of others or being inebriated..typically finding their own behavior amusing) Note, heavily-related to PIP farming/auto-treb/balista SMC or towers/outer wall repairing SMC.

>

damn I forgot this one

the keyboard warriors

X

as in ex-WvW player, who remembers the good times of culling, portal bombs, churn, hammer trains, server pride. Running with Quenta and setting up ambushes. Running with Zoel and answering every call for help. Using my low level Ele to stop treb shots. The furor over GvG and fight guilds. Unfortunately I also remember the bad times. tournaments, buying guilds to overstack T1, glicko hell, sweeping for mesmers, pirate ship, HoT, tactivators, banners, Desert Borderland and how GvG broke the guild apart.

Casual is closest, but "plays non-competitively to have a good time. Nothing rustles your jimbos" is far from the truth. Casual in time spent doesn't mean one doesn't a) aim to play to a high level, b) aim to win and c) get flustered if failing at both a and b particularly if an encounter in b is "equal" or in one's favour.