[Spoiler] Aurene's role in LS EP4

Sazukikrah.5036

Is it me or did Aurene literally just turn into Dr. Strange from Marvel series? And was this idea taken from Infinity war? cause i could've swore Dr. Strange did the same exact "seeing into the future , we only win 1 fight" thing too . Did Kralkalakaky get all the infinity gems and we just finding out about it and he using the Space Gem?

Well, there's one key difference -- Aurene didn't see any outcome other than losing, and it broke her. But, as I assume they're aren't planning to have Kraalkatorik destroy reality altogether and shut down the servers, she's probably wrong. Or else misunderstood her own vision. It looked like she was branded, which doesn't even make sense, since she's already made out of the same stuff as Kraalkatorik -- it's why Balthazar sought her and Vlast out.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> Well, there's one key difference -- Aurene didn't see any outcome other than losing, and it broke her. But, as I assume they're aren't planning to have Kraalkatorik destroy reality altogether and shut down the servers, she's probably wrong. Or else misunderstood her own vision. It looked like she was branded, which doesn't even make sense, since she's already made out of the same stuff as Kraalkatorik -- it's why Balthazar sought her and Vlast out.

probably similar to how cancer kills you but faster and the tumor becomes as big as your body

Well we've known since Guild Wars 1 that Glint could see the future - she's the one who created the Flameseeker Prohecies. So it makes sense her children would inherit the same ability.

Of course it's possible the Infinity Stones influenced the idea, they've been in the comics since before GW1 was created, but there's also dozens of other examples in fiction and even mythology of someone who can see the future looking through different possibilities to see which is most likely/preferable. It even comes up in Lord of the Rings. So I think it would be difficult to point to just one and say that's what influenced the idea of dragons who can see the future.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> Well, there's one key difference -- Aurene didn't see any outcome other than losing, and it broke her. But, as I assume they're aren't planning to have Kraalkatorik destroy reality altogether and shut down the servers, she's probably wrong. Or else misunderstood her own vision. It looked like she was branded, which doesn't even make sense, since she's already made out of the same stuff as Kraalkatorik -- it's why Balthazar sought her and Vlast out.

It is said that Kralkatorrik can only be destroyed by his own Minions or his own blood. A spear was created by Glint called the Dragonsblood spear but it was destroyed during Path of Fire story "Crystalline Memories Act 2" . So I'm wondering since she's glints second scion she has premonition just like Glint. But even Glint couldn't see into the future because she had died. So Aurene is probably able to change her own future. She's most likely not going to die because more Elder dragon Deaths bring unbalance of magic in Tyria AND we still have 2 Elder Dragons who were temporarily put to sleepy time (Primordus and Jormag).

Poor Aurene. Eir asked her to win the unwinnable. We can't mount a frontal assault against Aurene's grandfather, because he's too powerful. Even with the pact and everyone else, there's no way we can dent Kralkatorrik. We need to fight intelligently and adapt strategies and tactics out of the Ash Legion playbook.

To win we need to do the following things:

1. Disrupt Kralkatorrik's magic intake. Right now, all he has to do to get more powerful is open his mouth and the magic will flow in on its own. We need to distract him, but how can you distract the greediest of the elder dragons from eating?

Get a weapon, tactic, maneuver, dragon jetpack, etc. that allows Aurene to evade Kralky's attacks do some damage and clear out on her own terms. If Kralkatorrik is allowed to land even one hit, we lose. This is the difficult part, as Kralkatorrik can rip straight through time and space and cloudkill the entire area.

Transfer the Magic from Kralkatorrik to Aurene. There was a device capable of doing so, namely the Warbeast, but there's also the shards of Vlast, which could be used to build something to help us in doing so.

But most of all, we need to help our little dragon get back on her feet, as she's completely overwhelmed with a seemingly impossible task.

And I don't think the task at hand is impossible either, it's just that Eir made Aurene look into the wrong futures. She asked our young dragon seer, to look into the future and tell her whether or not it's possible to put the square peg into the round hole.

The correct question is to look for the round peg, that we have yet to get. And now our baby dragon is upset because the adults are making unreasonable demands. That was the first time I heard Aurene cry out in fear, so the first part of the next episode will contain soothing our poor dragon.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

I speculate we will convince her to fight in the next episode, but she will probably end up dying because of it, just like she foretold in all of her visions. However, she has Joko's powers now, so she could just be resurrected on the spot. If she can truly do that, Kralk would have to consume her magic to truly kill her, but that wouldn't happen because of two reasons:

1. Her vision does not show Kralk eating her, so it's possible that we escape after she gets ressurected.

2. Most importantly Glint exists in the mists. This indicates that Kralk probably cannot consume the magic of purified dragons, so he may not even be able to consume Aurene. This would mean that it's impossible for him to kill her for good.

Now this may all be wrong, but there must be a reason why they made Aurene eat Joko, beyond just killing him permanently. If we wanted to kill him permanently there were other methods, like killing him near a bloodstone.

> @"Ganathar.4956" said:

> 2. Most importantly Glint exists in the mists. This indicates that Kralk probably cannot consume the magic of purified dragons, so he may not even be able to consume Aurene. This would mean that it's impossible for him to kill her for good.

Maybe, or maybe not. It occurs to me that the only thing the Brand has left untouched are the Foefire ghosts, and that we see Glint opposing him with an army of spirits. It's possible that the purification protects them, but it's also possible that Kralk simply can't feed on souls.

> @"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:

> > @"Ganathar.4956" said:

>

> > 2. Most importantly Glint exists in the mists. This indicates that Kralk probably cannot consume the magic of purified dragons, so he may not even be able to consume Aurene. This would mean that it's impossible for him to kill her for good.

>

> Maybe, or maybe not. It occurs to me that the only thing the Brand has left untouched are the Foefire ghosts, and that we see Glint opposing him with an army of spirits. It's possible that the purification protects them, but it's also possible that Kralk simply can't feed on souls.

Not just the Foefire ghosts, but the Tomb of the Primeval Kings ghosts too were left untouched. Though it's possible that they were just inside and thus "out of reach".

But so far, no Elder Dragon has shown the ability to corrupt souls, with the possible exception of Jormag (Eir makes a comment of Svanir souls being corrupted, unclear if true) and Zhaitan (depending on the nature of Risen Wraiths).

> @"Ganathar.4956" said:

> > @"perilisk.1874" said:

> > Well, there's one key difference -- Aurene didn't see any outcome other than losing, and it broke her. But, as I assume they're aren't planning to have Kraalkatorik destroy reality altogether and shut down the servers, she's probably wrong. Or else misunderstood her own vision. It looked like she was branded, which doesn't even make sense, since she's already made out of the same stuff as Kraalkatorik -- it's why Balthazar sought her and Vlast out.

>

> I speculate we will convince her to fight in the next episode, but she will probably end up dying because of it, just like she foretold in all of her visions. However, she has Joko's powers now, so she could just be resurrected on the spot. If she can truly do that, Kralk would have to consume her magic to truly kill her, but that wouldn't happen because of two reasons:

>

> 1. Her vision does not show Kralk eating her, so it's possible that we escape after she gets ressurected.

> 2. Most importantly Glint exists in the mists. This indicates that Kralk probably cannot consume the magic of purified dragons, so he may not even be able to consume Aurene. This would mean that it's impossible for him to kill her for good.

>

> Now this may all be wrong, but there must be a reason why they made Aurene eat Joko, beyond just killing him permanently. If we wanted to kill him permanently there were other methods, like killing him near a bloodstone.

In her vision she becomes all crystallized, and branded/corrupted which would link her to Kralk. Going off the part that if she could resurrect herself, perhaps her link to Kralk allows her to somehow control him, rather than Kralk controlling her.

> @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> While I can see why some might believe Aurene's visions show her being branded, I actually believe otherwise.

>

> To me, it looks as if Kranky Kralk is branding the area around her, causing her to impaled on or encased in Crystal. As such, he's not branding her but outright killing her.

Possibly. but what ever the case may be, she saw that in every possibility she took against Kralkatorrik she could not win.

Well i didnt know what "Dr. Strange" is, but i know similar guideline on Mortal Kombat 9 and after.

Raiden, get a message from himself in future saying "he must win" , he thinks it's is about someone beating Shao Khan.

In the unfolding of history he is having visions of the future, and dont matter how he try change it destroying Shao Kahn's plans, or winning battles, the visions always show Shao Khans prevailing in the end.

The at end he figures that "he must win" means _lets Shao Khan win_, so when he let this happen, its violate some kind of "celestial law", then the _Elder Gods_ can come to intervene, they appear, empower Raiden, and he beat Shao Khan ass.

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> Well i didnt know what "Dr. Strange" is,

Dr. Strange is a character from Marvel comics who appears in the Marvel Cinematic Universe series of movies as well. In the Infinity War movie he uses a powerful object known as the time stone to look through millions of possible futures to find a way to defeat the film's villain Thanos, and mentions that out of the like 14 million he looked at, he saw only one in which they won.

The "Storm Tracking" instance has really made a point of showcasing what the brandstorm actually is and just how powerful Kralkatorrik is right now. It made a lot of sense that the only way devs could show us Kralk was having him wreck havoc on the mists rather than changing the World Map yet again.

Aurene might have the same gift of foresight that Glint does, but it is probably not developed enough, since Glint clearly believes she should take on Kralk right now. I also find it very odd that Glint is even there fighting Kralk (with primeval ghosts too, did every forgotten get branded?). Is that an echo of Glint like the Revenant legend or her actual spirit?

Overall I think Aurene's part in this episode was basically for her part to be skipped into the next episode, because we needed to see the extent of Kralkatorrik's power without bringing her into directly conflict with Kralkatorrik just yet. Also I can't believe they simply left a cliffhanger right there at the end lol.

Honestly, the "sift through a massive number of possible futures to find the one where you can win" trope has been used multiple times. It's pretty much the hat of the Eldar Farseers of Warhammer 40K, for instance.

I'm pretty sure that ArenaNet wasn't influenced by Infinity War for this sequence: they've probably been working on it since February at the latest, and Infinity War wasn't out then.

> @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> Honestly, the "sift through a massive number of possible futures to find the one where you can win" trope has been used multiple times. It's pretty much the hat of the Eldar Farseers of Warhammer 40K, for instance.

>

> I'm pretty sure that ArenaNet wasn't influenced by Infinity War for this sequence: they've probably been working on it since February at the latest, and Infinity War wasn't out then.

Well, there's a number of times this comes up in the writing of Terry Pratchett, so if there's a reader of his novels on the writing team, it could be inspired by that.

I'm guessing there's some reason why Aurene couldn't see any future where we could win. It might be as simple as that she's too young to have fully developed prophecy powers, or maybe the future was in there somewhere, but it was future # 200,000 and she got discouraged and flew off around # 199 thousand. Alternatively, maybe the fact that the commander wasn't present, was more than a limitation of per-rendered cutscenes. Perhaps being "dead" makes us invisible to those who can see the future, and Aurene couldn't see any future where we pitched in?