What is Taimis illness anyway? More bosses similar to deadeye boss?

I missed LWS1, so I don't know if this was addressed there, but up till this episode I always thought that Taimi's illness was non-fatal. Just something that limited her mobility quite severely and made her frail in general. And in fact, up till now, it seemed like she was actually getting better. But then we are blindsided by the fact that her illness is fatal. I'd just like to know what exactly it is, unless you can't say because its undecided/a spoiler for upcoming content, then that's fine but I would like to know which one if possible.

That deadeye boss. The fight was extremely well done, but it reminded me just how fucking much I hate thieves in general, so I really hated it. Anyway, I thought it was really cool that we got a boss in game that used a playable professions weapon skills, and got a stronger profession skill to go along with it. This was amazing! Is it possible to get more bosses like this in the future for other classes? I know that we have generic guards/mesmers/eles/warriors all over the place, especially in LWS3 maps. But I can't think of any other bosses built this way off the top of my head, where they have a full weapon skillset from 1 profession, but also have a stronger profession mechanic to back it up. All of the enemies previously mentioned still only seem to have 1 or 2 attacks, and at least for the white mantle mesmers they are attacks that playable mesmers don't have access to (multiple mind stabs at once, have to kill clone before can kill mesmer etc...)

• ArenaNet Staff

"The fight was extremely well done, but it reminded me just how kitten much I hate thieves in general, so I really hated it. "

I'm very conflicted about this statement =P I can't say for certain whether we will design more bosses like this, but the feedback that you enjoyed(?) it is definitely appreciated!

There are definitely a lot of player skills that, expanded, could make interesting challenges. The deadeye sniper ability seemed like one that was especially suited for an extended showdown, which was one of the reasons we chose that as Zafirah's class. That said, I'll note that there is a subset of players that is quite vocal about disliking bosses that have stronger versions of their own skills or skills they don't have, so it's something we have to think about every time we design an encounter.

> @"Connor Fallon.9408" said:

> "The fight was extremely well done, but it reminded me just how kitten much I hate thieves in general, so I really hated it. "

> I'm very conflicted about this statement =P I can't say for certain whether we will design more bosses like this, but the feedback that you enjoyed(?) it is definitely appreciated!

>

> There are definitely a lot of player skills that, expanded, could make interesting challenges. The deadeye sniper ability seemed like one that was especially suited for an extended showdown, which was one of the reasons we chose that as Zafirah's class. That said, I'll note that there is a subset of players that is quite vocal about disliking bosses that have stronger versions of their own skills or skills they don't have, so it's something we have to think about every time we design an encounter.

I think she is interesting because she is essentially a puzzle boss. Fighting her really isn't that difficult, it is getting to her that makes it interesting.

Many story fights can be somewhat condensed down to hit somebody until they die, maybe cc or do something that's a bit out of line like push a button in a corner. But it is very similar at the end. The sniper fight is not, she has a very different fight dynamic compared to the other story fights in the game which makes her interesting.

I also don't care if the boss has stronger version of skills. This is a staple for games ever since it started where bosses have a lot more fancy abilities or stronger version of player skills. Don't worry too much about that as I think it would limit design space quite a bit. Hell I want to fight a super powered reaper with upgraded version of shroud skills and whatnot, that would be interesting. I think the issue really is that some people investing way too much and doesn't realize they are playing a video game and not a tabletop.

> "The fight was extremely well done, but it reminded me just how kitten much I hate thieves in general, so I really hated it. "

> I'm very conflicted about this statement =P I can't say for certain whether we will design more bosses like this, but the feedback that you enjoyed(?) it is definitely appreciated!

>

> There are definitely a lot of player skills that, expanded, could make interesting challenges. The deadeye sniper ability seemed like one that was especially suited for an extended showdown, which was one of the reasons we chose that as Zafirah's class. That said, I'll note that there is a subset of players that is quite vocal about disliking bosses that have stronger versions of their own skills or skills they don't have, so it's something we have to think about every time we design an encounter.

Ooo...and with NPCs like that sniper, why can't we, the players, get at least one ranged skill on each class with 3294837529835723985 units range too? Or like those White Mantle Knights in Bloodstone Fen before their range was nerfed. And let's get the ability to not get knocked off edges as if there was an invisible wall like other NPCs, 'cuz that doesn't feel cheap at all. :) Or while I haven't actually tested this, I highly suspect that normal junk NPCs do not suffer from the same speed debuff as the players when they enter combat... If it were a boss NPC, fine, the player shouldn't be able to do what the boss can do, but for trash mobs, when we have the ability to do something that the mob can do but do it worse because reasons, it feels like lazy design.

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> I missed LWS1, so I don't know if this was addressed there, but up till this episode I always thought that Taimi's illness was non-fatal. Just something that limited her mobility quite severely and made her frail in general. And in fact, up till now, it seemed like she was actually getting better. But then we are blindsided by the fact that her illness is fatal. I'd just like to know what exactly it is, unless you can't say because its undecided/a spoiler for upcoming content, then that's fine but I would like to know which one if possible.

>

> That deadeye boss. The fight was extremely well done, but it reminded me just how kitten much I hate thieves in general, so I really hated it. Anyway, I thought it was really cool that we got a boss in game that used a playable professions weapon skills, and got a stronger profession skill to go along with it. This was amazing! Is it possible to get more bosses like this in the future for other classes? I know that we have generic guards/mesmers/eles/warriors all over the place, especially in LWS3 maps. But I can't think of any other bosses built this way off the top of my head, where they have a full weapon skillset from 1 profession, but also have a stronger profession mechanic to back it up. All of the enemies previously mentioned still only seem to have 1 or 2 attacks, and at least for the white mantle mesmers they are attacks that playable mesmers don't have access to (multiple mind stabs at once, have to kill clone before can kill mesmer etc...)

Eh, they'll probably slap Taimi's engrams into a golem/Scruffy like Blish and call it done. Or maybe they'll find the Blish golem who ends up not being actually "dead" and they can put Taimi in there with Blish and have a somewhat schizophrenic golem with each personality getting control over their own half of the golem. That would be hilarious.

>

I think having NPC bosses with player skills allows them to better understand how professions work without being forced to play them. This would eases them slightly better when entering WVW or PVP if they ever feel the desire to try it.

Personally, I love professions as bosses. It's like having PVP modes in PVE then expands the power level implications of classes.

> @"CedarDog.9723" said:

> > @"Connor Fallon.9408" said:

> > "The fight was extremely well done, but it reminded me just how kitten much I hate thieves in general, so I really hated it. "

> > I'm very conflicted about this statement =P I can't say for certain whether we will design more bosses like this, but the feedback that you enjoyed(?) it is definitely appreciated!

> >

> > There are definitely a lot of player skills that, expanded, could make interesting challenges. The deadeye sniper ability seemed like one that was especially suited for an extended showdown, which was one of the reasons we chose that as Zafirah's class. That said, I'll note that there is a subset of players that is quite vocal about disliking bosses that have stronger versions of their own skills or skills they don't have, so it's something we have to think about every time we design an encounter.

>

> Ooo...and with NPCs like that sniper, why can't we, the players, get at least one ranged skill on each class with 3294837529835723985 units range too? Or like those White Mantle Knights in Bloodstone Fen before their range was nerfed. And let's get the ability to not get knocked off edges as if there was an invisible wall like other NPCs, 'cuz that doesn't feel cheap at all. :) Or while I haven't actually tested this, I highly suspect that normal junk NPCs do not suffer from the same speed debuff as the players when they enter combat... If it were a boss NPC, fine, the player shouldn't be able to do what the boss can do, but for trash mobs, when we have the ability to do something that the mob can do but do it worse because reasons, it feels like lazy design.

I look at that more as the player getting a special speed buff when out of combat than vice versa.

What really annoys me is the bugs in the leash mechanic. It's frustrating enough when you're fighting something, it crosses the invisible line that causes it to leash, and suddenly it gets invulnerability and/or out-of-combat health regen until it returns to its initial point, especially if you were close to killing it and/or there are other enemies that might respawn before you can finish it off. It is _absolutely infuriating_, though, when an enemy gets the benefits from leashing _while still actively trying to kill you._

I don't think they've ever said what Taimi's illness is specifically, just that it's a degenerative disease (I've always assumed it's a kind of motor neurone disease). Originally it mainly affected her legs and made it difficult and painful for her to walk but there was a risk it could spread as she got older and if it affects her breathing or other vital functions it could kill her. She managed to slow it down, or possibly even put it into remission, through a process which involved chak acid, but apparently it didn't last.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I don't think they've ever said what Taimi's illness is specifically, just that it's a degenerative disease (I've always assumed it's a kind of motor neurone disease). Originally it mainly affected her legs and made it difficult and painful for her to walk but there was a risk it could spread as she got older and if it affects her breathing or other vital functions it could kill her. She managed to slow it down, or possibly even put it into remission, through a process which involved chak acid, but apparently it didn't last.

To specify, it was definitely remission. They used that very word in the cutscene, and I'm surprised I remembered that, haha.