Is Sun's Refuge the new Home Instance?

Should Sun's Refuge contain the same nodes and achievement upgrades that are in the Home Instance? I wouldn't be opposed to a quest to find a way to open the content in a new location.

It is a separate world instance, not open world content, so things may be customized to the user. Meaning that if a person does not use their Lost Bandit Chest they wouldn't move it to Sun's Refuge.

The instance can be expanded to fit any new content coming in the future. Unlike the Home Instances which are confined within one of the six major cities.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> Is Sun's Refuge the new Home Instance?

No, it clearly wasn't intended to be more than a fun hub for LS4.4 achievements. (Based on every single comment made by ANet about it, at least all the ones I've seen and/or quoted here or on Reddit.)

Could it be made into a home instance, along with MOX & cats and Caladbolg NPC and various nodes? I'm sure it could be. But then any future change to the home instance (which occurs pretty much every LS update, as well as many others) increases in costs by 10-20%, since there would be six locations to update instead of five.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > Is Sun's Refuge the new Home Instance?

> No, it clearly wasn't intended to be more than a fun hub for LS4.4 achievements. (Based on every single comment made by ANet about it, at least all the ones I've seen and/or quoted here or on Reddit.)

>

> Could it be made into a home instance, along with MOX & cats and Caladbolg NPC and various nodes? I'm sure it could be. But then any future change to the home instance (which occurs pretty much every LS update, as well as many others) increases in costs by 10-20%, since there would be six locations to update instead of five.

Nah some parts need to be split. Pre PoF heroes in the home instance. Post PoF in suns refuge.

They just need to update suns refuge from now on.

But i doubt they will.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > Is Sun's Refuge the new Home Instance?

> No, it clearly wasn't intended to be more than a fun hub for LS4.4 achievements. (Based on every single comment made by ANet about it, at least all the ones I've seen and/or quoted here or on Reddit.)

>

> Could it be made into a home instance, along with MOX & cats and Caladbolg NPC and various nodes? I'm sure it could be. But then any future change to the home instance (which occurs pretty much every LS update, as well as many others) increases in costs by 10-20%, since there would be six locations to update instead of five.

This.

Not to mention that the work done to keep it up to date would be limited to only players who have access to the sanctuary (aka have the Living Story step unlocked and played far enough). It just does not make sense, no matter how cool it would be.

The problem with wanting more from it, is that we are likely to move away from Elona forever after LS4. If the Sanctuary was early in the PoF cycle, then I could understand it. More than this though, it felt very much like a testing ground for more instances later down the line. There is no reason to believe we wont see a couple more iterations with other arcs which tie in collections, lore books, npcs and then take on board any feedback about potential extras. The Hall of Monuments rebuilt for example. A long abandoned Asuran Lab deep, deep underground maybe.

> @"Cronospere.8143" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > > Is Sun's Refuge the new Home Instance?

> > No, it clearly wasn't intended to be more than a fun hub for LS4.4 achievements. (Based on every single comment made by ANet about it, at least all the ones I've seen and/or quoted here or on Reddit.)

> >

> > Could it be made into a home instance, along with MOX & cats and Caladbolg NPC and various nodes? I'm sure it could be. But then any future change to the home instance (which occurs pretty much every LS update, as well as many others) increases in costs by 10-20%, since there would be six locations to update instead of five.

>

> Nah some parts need to be split. Pre PoF heroes in the home instance. Post PoF in suns refuge.

> They just need to update suns refuge from now on.

> But i doubt they will.

What about players that acquire a node or other content from a future Episode, but don't have 'A Star to Guide Us'. Are they then denied the opportunity to acquire said node/content? Would this also mean players must gather in 2 'home instances' each day to collect all mats, etc.?

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> They oversold Suns refuge, making players have unrealistic expectations, the same thing with upgradable armor.

Umm, not really. The players oversold it, not A-net. All they said was there was an upgradable instance, which is exactly what it is. The players wanted it to be more, so they made it out to be more.

> @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > They oversold Suns refuge, making players have unrealistic expectations, the same thing with upgradable armor.

>

> Umm, not really. The players oversold it, not A-net. All they said was there was an upgradable instance, which is exactly what it is. The players wanted it to be more, so they made it out to be more.

Anet did not deny the expectations tho.

Even silence is an answer.

> @"Arzurag.7506" said:

> > @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > They oversold Suns refuge, making players have unrealistic expectations, the same thing with upgradable armor.

> >

> > Umm, not really. The players oversold it, not A-net. All they said was there was an upgradable instance, which is exactly what it is. The players wanted it to be more, so they made it out to be more.

>

> Anet did not deny the expectations tho.

> Even silence is an answer.

It's only an answer to those that jump to conclusions and like to read the blank space that is between the lines. It's blank after all.

---

as for the others talking about upgradable armor. We have no idea if this is how every map goes for the rest of the season. Does the next map give us more upgradable armor. Does it let us upgrade this armor more. Jumping to conclusions is fun, however, the trade off usually ends in disappointment. Taking things at face value allows you to take it in, see it for what it is and then base the opinion on whats there, and whats to come. I would like to see moer, I think its a good idea, but maybe the implementation is off?

In the case of future content looking bleak in suns refuge, even with an average players look at it (me) I was still let down by the comments of arena net. I had no hype going in, but i had a wicked amount of nostalgia once I got in there. I really wanted it to become a hub, even if it was just a crafting based hub. I oversold myself when I got in, not before.

It just adds to me over-hyping myself for Cantha as the next expansion lol.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> Why create a personal instance if it's so limited?

Because it isn't intended to be a personal instance. It's intended to be a lore-relevant hub to grow related achievements.

> That to me seems to be more of a waste of time and money than trying to expand it in the future.

I like it a lot better than adding the equivalent-sized additional area to the map. Like the open world map, it evolves as you change things in the world, NPCs have new dialogues, and you have access to additional services.

I think it's a lot of fun and a lot better than reinventing the home instance, for which we already five instances.

Was it top of my list for how the devs spend their time? No.

On the other hand, neither were mounts. And neither was a fifth mount.

I don't know why many think Sun's Refuge is amazing. Sure it looks nice, aesthetically, but it certainly isn't very rewarding. All you get is a bunch of lore/history stuff, dialogue with characters, and if you get 5 runes to place in the slots, a few items.

Until Sun's Refuge starts rewarding things similar to a home instance, I think it's just going to be more dead content. If Anet wants it to be something special, it needs to offer daily rewards (like home instances), as well as unique skin unlocks and customized upgrades that are constantly added with each living story.