Character creation tutorial should be removed

I don't see the problem. If you don't want to play it you can run straight to the end and the whole thing is over in a couple of minutes. But for new players it's important as an introduction to the world and the story and as an opportunity to get to grips with the basics of the game in a controlled environment where they can't get completely lost or overwhelmed.

Maybe not everyone needs that, but when I first played GW2 I wasn't even sure how to move my character because it had been ages since I'd played an RPG without click to move, so I definitely needed that space to get the hang of things before I was thrown into the whole world.

Maybe they could add an option to skip it if you've played it before, but I don't think it's really necessary because it's so quick to get through it.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> i want the NPE removed from already veteran accounts but no dice, no chance you get the first part removed because of that.

> tho, some tutorials are easily skipped (like the human one) by directly running to the end.

They can all be skipped by running through to the end. You might occasionally have to wait outside the door/gate/bridge which blocks off the boss fight while it's in progress but that only takes a few minutes.

And most of the NPE **is** removed from veteran accounts. Once you've levelled one character the only part which still applies is unlocking weapon skills by levelling instead of spamming each weapon and unlocking profession mechanics by levelling up. Oh and the personal story is divided into chapters. Unless you're specifically making a key runner that's all irrelevant because you'll level up quickly anyway. And since you can only do 1 key run a week, and can use tomes to speed it up, that's not a big deal.

How often are you doing the tutorial that it is a problem? If you’re making new chars for PvP and don’t plan to do the story line and you have a Lounge Pass try porting out of the tutorial. If that has been removed by the devs then run to the end. A lot of times it will be finishing up by the time you get there. Otherwise, veterans should remember that just because they no longer need a feature of the game it doesn’t mean that new people don’t.

It shouldn’t be removed, it should be updated to explain boons, conditions, Crowd Control and dodging.

And added the **option** to skip if you’ve already completed it before (aka, talk to an NPC to tell its all just a dream)

Edit; make a human if you want to skip the tutorial

I think at the moment asuran would actually be the best race if you want to skip the tutorial. There's a bug (I assume it's a bug) where the gate isn't closed off when the boss fight is in progress so you can just run through and sometimes get in just as the fight ends. Sometimes you might have to do/afk during the boss fight, but you never have to wait outside the gate like in the other races introductions.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> It shouldn’t be removed, it should be updated to explain boons, conditions, Crowd Control and dodging.

> And added the **option** to skip if you’ve already completed it before (aka, talk to an NPC to tell its all just a dream)

>

> Edit; make a human if you want to skip the tutorial

You can strike dodging from that list. All the starter zones have a chest somewhere surrounded by a trap and a little pop up comes and tells you about dodging. The only way for them to get the chest is to dodge through the trap.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> They can all be skipped by running through to the end. You might occasionally have to wait outside the door/gate/bridge which blocks off the boss fight while it's in progress but that only takes a few minutes.

>

I managed to finish the human tutorial with the gate closed because the instance covers the ground below Shaemoor Garrison. You can survive the drop from the bridge and then run around towards the hillside where the Elemental battle happens. I got caught just as it finished.

> @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > It shouldn’t be removed, it should be updated to explain boons, conditions, Crowd Control and dodging.

> > And added the **option** to skip if you’ve already completed it before (aka, talk to an NPC to tell its all just a dream)

> >

> > Edit; make a human if you want to skip the tutorial

>

> You can strike dodging from that list. All the starter zones have a chest somewhere surrounded by a trap and a little pop up comes and tells you about dodging. The only way for them to get the chest is to dodge through the trap.

True, but wouldn't it make more sense to Have that circle inside the starter instance?

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I think at the moment asuran would actually be the best race if you want to skip the tutorial. There's a bug (I assume it's a bug) where the gate isn't closed off when the boss fight is in progress so you can just run through and sometimes get in just as the fight ends. Sometimes you might have to do/afk during the boss fight, but you never have to wait outside the gate like in the other races introductions.

I just run my human key runner straight to the fight. Don’t go left and head to the garrison door. Run past the garrison on the right hand side through the water, go around to the back where the boss area is. A lot of times I reach the back area and it’s ending. I get teleported out of the tutorial.

ANet's already implied their views on the topic by removing all methods of leaving the instance without completing the tutorial. You can't jump out, port to the guild hall, to any VIP lounge, to the hall of monuments, use a LS portal scroll or tome, etc. I suspect at least part of the reason is that the game assumes that everyone has completed it and triggered the relevant story update, plus there's no reliable way to get back in. That is, it's not so much that ANet wants everyone to repeat the tutorial on every new toon as it is that they want to prevent the sort of bugs that pop up for those who don't.

Regardless, as others have said, the burden is minor. I'd rather ANet focus on other QoL issues that affect more people more often, for longer periods of time.

I honestly don't mind the starting instance as it is actually a part of the storyline, and removing it completely might make the rest of it buggy. I would, however, love the option to turn off the actual, pop up in your face, tutorial windows. I already know how to move my character. I already know how to dodge. I already know how to interact with NPCs, etc. The pop-ups are very distracting when I just want to run through and get the instance done, and they don't just go away after a bit. I have to stop and close them.

As for why vets might make so many characters for this to be an issue? Everyone has their own reasons. Mules are on the top of the list. Then there's wanting to try all the different personal story arcs for each race, and each class. For myself; it's because I'm currently grinding 25 toons to 64 to obtain those kitten sigils, so, yeah, there's that.

Would it really be that much of a bother to update starter instance and options menu to give us a tick box to disable them?

It's not a game breaker for me. It's a minor annoyance, but it would really be nice if they could do this.

When I make new characters (once per week or so), I only have two pop-ups. 'How to move' and one other; it's not 'How to dodge' as that only shows up outside by the dodge 'tutorial' spot.

I, also, skip right to the end (on Human) by running through the watermelon patch, jumping down the cliff and running up to the 'Big Boss'. Often the tutorial ends before I even get there; I'm not sure where the trip-wire is that determines you are close enough to have taken part in that battle.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > It shouldn’t be removed, it should be updated to explain boons, conditions, Crowd Control and dodging.

> > > And added the **option** to skip if you’ve already completed it before (aka, talk to an NPC to tell its all just a dream)

> > >

> > > Edit; make a human if you want to skip the tutorial

> >

> > You can strike dodging from that list. All the starter zones have a chest somewhere surrounded by a trap and a little pop up comes and tells you about dodging. The only way for them to get the chest is to dodge through the trap.

>

> True, but wouldn't it make more sense to Have that circle inside the starter instance?

Honestly, no. The very first tutorial bit needs to be suuuuper basic, since people want in to the game world.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > It shouldn’t be removed, it should be updated to explain boons, conditions, Crowd Control and dodging.

> > > > And added the **option** to skip if you’ve already completed it before (aka, talk to an NPC to tell its all just a dream)

> > > >

> > > > Edit; make a human if you want to skip the tutorial

> > >

> > > You can strike dodging from that list. All the starter zones have a chest somewhere surrounded by a trap and a little pop up comes and tells you about dodging. The only way for them to get the chest is to dodge through the trap.

> >

> > True, but wouldn't it make more sense to Have that circle inside the starter instance?

>

> Honestly, no. The very first tutorial bit needs to be suuuuper basic, since people want in to the game world.

>

yes, thats why the first visit through the tutorial should contain the basics of the game world

AND the option to skip after your first run through.

> @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> You can already skip it if you plan to use any tomes of knowledge. Put tomes in shared inventory or use your personal banker to access them. Use a tome to level up. This will open up a local way point that you can then use to enter the "real" world.

Does that lock you out of the story though? I heard that was why Anet disabled other methods of teleporting out - if you don't finish the instance your story doesn't progress and you can never get back in to complete it.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > You can already skip it if you plan to use any tomes of knowledge. Put tomes in shared inventory or use your personal banker to access them. Use a tome to level up. This will open up a local way point that you can then use to enter the "real" world.

>

> Does that lock you out of the story though? I heard that was why Anet disabled other methods of teleporting out - if you don't finish the instance your story doesn't progress and you can never get back in to complete it.

Hmm, I don't know. The characters I did this on were not meant to carry on with the story so I did not notice. I will check it out though.

EDIT: I just checked. When leaving the instance using a way point, you do get credit for completing the tutorial. I used 1 tome and the way point unlocked. I used the waypoint and got credit for the tutorial. I was then level 2. I used 8 more tomes to level 10 and my story then unlocked. I went and started the first mission just to be sure. So, it does not lock you out of the story.

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > > You can already skip it if you plan to use any tomes of knowledge. Put tomes in shared inventory or use your personal banker to access them. Use a tome to level up. This will open up a local way point that you can then use to enter the "real" world.

> >

> > Does that lock you out of the story though? I heard that was why Anet disabled other methods of teleporting out - if you don't finish the instance your story doesn't progress and you can never get back in to complete it.

>

> Hmm, I don't know. The characters I did this on were not meant to carry on with the story so I did not notice. I will check it out though.

>

> EDIT: I just checked. When leaving the instance using a way point, you do get credit for completing the tutorial. I used 1 tome and the way point unlocked. I used the waypoint and got credit for the tutorial. I was then level 2. I used 8 more tomes to level 10 and my story then unlocked. I went and started the first mission just to be sure. So, it does not lock you out of the story.

Uh Oh, hotfix on the way!

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > > You can already skip it if you plan to use any tomes of knowledge. Put tomes in shared inventory or use your personal banker to access them. Use a tome to level up. This will open up a local way point that you can then use to enter the "real" world.

> >

> > Does that lock you out of the story though? I heard that was why Anet disabled other methods of teleporting out - if you don't finish the instance your story doesn't progress and you can never get back in to complete it.

>

> Hmm, I don't know. The characters I did this on were not meant to carry on with the story so I did not notice. I will check it out though.

>

> EDIT: I just checked. When leaving the instance using a way point, you do get credit for completing the tutorial. I used 1 tome and the way point unlocked. I used the waypoint and got credit for the tutorial. I was then level 2. I used 8 more tomes to level 10 and my story then unlocked. I went and started the first mission just to be sure. So, it does not lock you out of the story.

Good to know. Thanks for checking that. :)