Should breakbars be removed?

I must confess, a little bit... I was hardcore player in GW1, now I became somewhere in the middle of casual-midhardcore.

First time I heard about CC, Breakbars, etc. around PoF premiere. I read about this for the first time, when I was looking for clues about this terrible fight with Eater of Souls, that there is something about CC. I was totally shocked, never heard about this, because I never needed this.

I think that there SHOULD be some kind of tutorial about this system.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > @"SnowHawk.3615" said:

> > > The game is too casual as it is. "I have to actually time my skills? UGH TOO HARD."

> >

> > Or even use skills beyond AA lol. Man breaking bars is such an easy and obvious mechanic. I cannot fathaoum how people still have issues with it.

>

> And I cannot fathom how people can misspell some of the simplest words. :p

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

>

> Think about that...this thread peaked my curiosity

Hmmm.

I must admit that your posts have piqued my curiosity as well. Perhaps your forum fu broke my break bar.

> @"Digital Dragon.2697" said:

> I think they are fine the way they are. They should have a tutorial though, in game. Honestly I thought only movement impairing abilities broke it, but I was told it's also conditions (is the second part correct?)

The Wiki article on the Defiance Bar covers all the gory details. It isn't all conditions, but most non-damaging conditions affect it.

Make a permanent mini-event like the dodge roll thing in all of the later ends of the second tier starter zones (Kessex, for instance) so you're assumed to have at least one CC.

Kessex Hills - A moa is loose and running around a small area. When you approach the area, a pop-up tells you how to make the moa stop running.

Things like that.

If ANYthing is done to breakbars, it needs to be introduced to newer players in core Tyria with real expalanations.

But we all know how GW2 does with tutorials.

The Breakbar is actually a good, healthy mechanic that has the unfortunate reality of not being well taught, and then experienced players get upset when super casual folks get confused about them in world bosses or meta events.

There should be more benefit to breaking them. Wildstar (RIP) for example had a 2x damage bonus for 1-2 seconds after breaking a target, not just the interrupt. It made learning how and when to break a vital part of DPSing. PVE only of course.

As it is, I can burn every skill I have, wait for the cooldowns and do it again to break a single veteran- and get basically nothing for the effort. Better to just burst DPS. This is one of the reasons for the continuing DPS meta.

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> There should be more benefit to breaking them. Wildstar (RIP) for example had a 2x damage bonus for 1-2 seconds after breaking a target, not just the interrupt. It made learning how and when to break a vital part of DPSing. PVE only of course.

>

> As it is, I can burn every skill I have, wait for the cooldowns and do it again to break a single veteran- and get basically nothing for the effort. Better to just burst DPS. This is one of the reasons for the continuing DPS meta.

There is a debuff for most breakbars after the break that increases the damage taken by 50% for 5 seconds, sometimes longer (Maw endboss in PoF has like 20 seconds of that debuff).

Raid bosses don't get this debuff and maybe some other enemys.

[https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exposed_(effect)](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exposed_(effect))

> @"Kam.4092" said:

> People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

So, the main consensus seems to be that:

* Breakbars are better than the old system or nothing.

* A tutorial is needed.

* Numbers or something else to indicate the effect would be helpful.

* Some fights need the breakbars re-adjusted, especially for scaling.

Correct?

Also, I've seen a few suggestions of alternative ideas.

* Some bosses are fully vulnerable to some specific kinds of CC, bypassing the breakbar.

* First use of CC works, but gives a period of immunity. During that, matching CC will go to the breakbar.

* All CC works, but adds to a growing resistance to CC that will wear off after a bit, sort of a reverse breakbar.

* More noticable effects for breaking the bar, to make it more worth dealing with.

Small suggestion: Let's see a boss fight with two bosses (vets, elites, champions depending on scaling). When one goes down, it enters downed state and the other runs over to revive them. But if they're downed while broken, they're completely defeated, and you can stop the reviving one by breaking their bar as well. This would make for a fight that can be done without the breakbars, but is much simpler and quicker when they're used. For people unused to this, the advantage of using the breakbars would become very clear. It would be a case of "That's a neat trick!" as opposed to the usual "Does that even do anything?"

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

>

> Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

>

>

Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> @"Kam.4092" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> >

> > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> >

> >

>

> Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > >

> > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

>

> It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

>

> So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

>

I take it you’re talking about open world snore content.

> @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > >

> > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> >

> > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> >

> > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> >

>

> I take it you’re talking about open world snore content.

Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> > >

> > > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> > >

> > > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> > >

> >

> > I take it you’re talking about open world snore content.

>

> Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

Breakbars aren’t only in open world, and are a fun mechanic that’s extremely common in Fractals, Raids, and Dungeons. Those are game modes too.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> > >

> > > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> > >

> > > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> > >

> >

> > I take it you’re talking about open world snore content.

>

> Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

But it's not 99% of the content in this game. I'd accept even 95%. But not 99.

You could have just said "most of the time they dont matter", but you had to say 99% to be hyperbolic. It doesn't help your argument.

> @"FrostDraco.8306" said:

> > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> > > >

> > > > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> > > >

> > > > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I take it you’re talking about open world snore content.

> >

> > Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

>

> But it's not 99% of the content in this game. I'd accept even 95%. But not 99.

>

> You could have just said "most of the time they dont matter", but you had to say 99% to be hyperbolic. It doesn't help your argument.

Like I said already. It's not to be taken literally. People say 99% a lot to just indicate the vast majority. I don't know why some of you have a hard time understanding a figure of speech.

And since I already explained that to the guy above I don't even know why you bring it up again a few posts later. You guys just need to get over this 99% and not take it so literally. There was really no reason to assume I was being literal about that from my point of view.

> @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> > > >

> > > > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> > > >

> > > > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I take it you’re talking about open world snore content.

> >

> > Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

>

> Breakbars aren’t only in open world, and are a fun mechanic that’s extremely common in Fractals, Raids, and Dungeons. Those are game modes too.

>

>

I know that. I said vast majority, not everything. Specifically because I know they are in Fractals etc also but by sheer size that's a minority and in even many dungeon fights as far as I remember, you can ignore breakbars but it's been a while that I've been in there. Regardless, this area of the game that I call structured group content is a small percentage of the game and the amount of encounters is therefore also small in comparison to the rest. Whatever the exact percentage is, is completely irrelevant to my point.

And my point is that in a lot of content and the vast majority of encounters therefore with breakbars people can ignore them and still achieve what they want. That makes them a bit pointless in my view. So when that's the situation I think it's better to take them away or make them so that they actually make a difference to the outcome of the encounter and not easy to cheese or to completely bypass.

Whether that's 99% or 83% of the fights is really besides the point. But people aren't learning how to deal with them because they don't need to. And that's what I want to have changed. What purpose do they actually serve in open world content? Hardly any I would say.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"FrostDraco.8306" said:

> > > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> > > > >

> > > > > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I take it you’re talking about open world snore content.

> > >

> > > Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

> >

> > But it's not 99% of the content in this game. I'd accept even 95%. But not 99.

> >

> > You could have just said "most of the time they dont matter", but you had to say 99% to be hyperbolic. It doesn't help your argument.

>

> Like I said already. It's not to be taken literally. People say 99% a lot to just indicate the vast majority. I don't know why some of you have a hard time understanding a figure of speech.

>

> And since I already explained that to the guy above I don't even know why you bring it up again a few posts later. You guys just need to get over this 99% and not take it so literally. There was really no reason to assume I was being literal about that from my point of view.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> > > > >

> > > > > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

> >

> > But it's not 99% of the content in this game. I'd accept even 95%. But not 99.

> >

> > You could have just said "most of the time they dont matter", but you had to say 99% to be hyperbolic. It doesn't help your argument.

>

> Like I said already. It's not to be taken literally. People say 99% a lot to just indicate the vast majority. I don't know why some of you have a hard time understanding a figure of speech.

>

> And since I already explained that to the guy above I don't even know why you bring it up again a few posts later. You guys just need to get over this 99% and not take it so literally. There was really no reason to assume I was being literal about that from my point of view.

Why even use percents then? It just sounds silly to quote by 99% of something. Just say most breakbars are worthless/ignored, and there you go I agree.

I'm all for making breakbars mandatory in encounters, and having events, etc fail if you fail to break a bar. I guess people can learn if they fail enough.

> @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > @"FrostDraco.8306" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I take it you’re talking about open world snore content.

> > > >

> > > > Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

> > >

> > > But it's not 99% of the content in this game. I'd accept even 95%. But not 99.

> > >

> > > You could have just said "most of the time they dont matter", but you had to say 99% to be hyperbolic. It doesn't help your argument.

> >

> > Like I said already. It's not to be taken literally. People say 99% a lot to just indicate the vast majority. I don't know why some of you have a hard time understanding a figure of speech.

> >

> > And since I already explained that to the guy above I don't even know why you bring it up again a few posts later. You guys just need to get over this 99% and not take it so literally. There was really no reason to assume I was being literal about that from my point of view.

>

> > > > > > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

> > >

> > > But it's not 99% of the content in this game. I'd accept even 95%. But not 99.

> > >

> > > You could have just said "most of the time they dont matter", but you had to say 99% to be hyperbolic. It doesn't help your argument.

> >

> > Like I said already. It's not to be taken literally. People say 99% a lot to just indicate the vast majority. I don't know why some of you have a hard time understanding a figure of speech.

> >

> > And since I already explained that to the guy above I don't even know why you bring it up again a few posts later. You guys just need to get over this 99% and not take it so literally. There was really no reason to assume I was being literal about that from my point of view.

>

> Why even use percents then? It just sounds silly to quote by 99% of something. Just say most breakbars are worthless/ignored, and there you go I agree.

>

> I'm all for making breakbars mandatory in encounters, and having events, etc fail if you fail to break a bar. I guess people can learn if they fail enough.

More likely they will just stop playing that content or ask anet to nef it so they can do it.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

I think the problem is that by using a figure - regardless of whether it's 99%, or 95%, or 83%, or whatever - it makes it look like you're making a precise statement, one that you then can't possibly back up. Sure, some people use '99%' to mean 'the vast majority', but not everyone is familiar with that. Added to which, some people make up percentages to try to make their arguments sound more convincing - I'm reminded of that old joke: "Did you know 97% of statistics are made up on the spot?" - it wasn't initially clear that that wasn't what you were trying to do.

I actually don't think it's necessarily a problem that you can ignore defiance bars a lot of the time, in the same way that I don't think it's a problem that I can beat most enemies that don't have defiance bars without using CC on them. I think it's a mechanic to prevent groups from stunlocking bosses but ensure that CC skills still have an effect against them, and I do think it achieves that.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

>

Even if its not meant to be taken literally, using it is in essence, muddying the waters. Why can't people just say exactly what they mean?

Also people can't assume that you were even saying it as a figure of speech. I don't know why you have a hard time understanding rational logical arguments and concise speech, free of hyperbolic statements like "99%". It doesn't help your argument.

We aren't the people having trouble here, you are. We don't have to use hyperbolic statements to get our point across. Of which you still failed to do, because its not a very good reason to remove breakbars regardless.

So in the end what did your hyperbolic 'not meant to be taken literally' statement do for your argument? Nothing. Which means it was a waste of time to even add it. THAT is the problem with it. It's not literal, and it isn't truth, not based on a good premise, therefore it is meaningless.

Sarcasm, doesn't translate well over text. Neither do subjective cultural meanings of phrases. Not everyone knows exactly what you mean, as not everyone has the same cultural background. If you can't understand that, maybe you should do a bit of self reflection.

> @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> Why even use percents then? It just sounds silly to quote by 99% of something. Just say most breakbars are worthless/ignored, and there you go I agree.

>

> I'm all for making breakbars mandatory in encounters, and having events, etc fail if you fail to break a bar. I guess people can learn if they fail enough.

To be fair you could succeed in every encounter without knowing what a break bar is. In all instanced content the other people can do all the cc nessecary.

> @"yann.1946" said:

> > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > @"FrostDraco.8306" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I take it you’re talking about open world snore content.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

> > > >

> > > > But it's not 99% of the content in this game. I'd accept even 95%. But not 99.

> > > >

> > > > You could have just said "most of the time they dont matter", but you had to say 99% to be hyperbolic. It doesn't help your argument.

> > >

> > > Like I said already. It's not to be taken literally. People say 99% a lot to just indicate the vast majority. I don't know why some of you have a hard time understanding a figure of speech.

> > >

> > > And since I already explained that to the guy above I don't even know why you bring it up again a few posts later. You guys just need to get over this 99% and not take it so literally. There was really no reason to assume I was being literal about that from my point of view.

> >

> > > > @"FrostDraco.8306" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > > > People need to stop being lazy, and actually read how Breakbars work. Removing a mechanic over people refusing to learn it, is stupid.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Well the problem is that in fact they don't need to, because you can ignore these mechanics most of the time. So my point is that if it doesn't really matter then remove it or change it to make it matter. But the current situation is just silly because there are people like you who get upset or at least annoyed with people who don't know about break bars but then at the same time there really is no reason for them to care about it because 99% of the time it doesn't really matter.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Please share your data claiming 99% of the time Breakbars don’t matter in the game.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It's a figure of speech. No need to get literal on that. The point is that there are only very few bosses or situations where not knowing the mechanic actually makes you fail the fight. So even when it makes a difference it doesn't make enough of a difference for a lot of people to either notice it or care about it.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So far only a very few fights have been identified in this thread where understanding the mechanic is needed for winning the encounter. That could be because you can ignore it or because (in events) there are generally some people who do know it and manage it for the rest. That means people generally don't have a need to learn it and I find that problematic.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I take it you’re talking about open world snore content.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well your condescending sneer aside, that is the vast majority of the content in this game.

> > > >

> > > > But it's not 99% of the content in this game. I'd accept even 95%. But not 99.

> > > >

> > > > You could have just said "most of the time they dont matter", but you had to say 99% to be hyperbolic. It doesn't help your argument.

> > >

> > > Like I said already. It's not to be taken literally. People say 99% a lot to just indicate the vast majority. I don't know why some of you have a hard time understanding a figure of speech.

> > >

> > > And since I already explained that to the guy above I don't even know why you bring it up again a few posts later. You guys just need to get over this 99% and not take it so literally. There was really no reason to assume I was being literal about that from my point of view.

> >

> > Why even use percents then? It just sounds silly to quote by 99% of something. Just say most breakbars are worthless/ignored, and there you go I agree.

> >

> > I'm all for making breakbars mandatory in encounters, and having events, etc fail if you fail to break a bar. I guess people can learn if they fail enough.

>

> To be fair you could succeed in every encounter without knowing what a break bar is. In all instanced content the other people can do all the cc nessecary.

This is absolutely incorrect. There are some encounters where the breakbar is so tight that everyone must participate.. The only exceptions to this are sometimes when you have a chrono with cont split, or two necro's kitted for cc. Then there are other 10 man bars, which everyone needs to participate in, no exceptions.

If you have done raids, fractals, or dungeons, these things are a common occurrence. Or even Serpents Ire.