[Feedback] Mad King's Raceway [merged]

I agree with those who are happy with this change. I don't hate having very difficult achievements in this game, I think it's healthy. However, for festival content, let's lower the bar a bit, ok? I'd like it if this race still had an achievement for the 60 second finish while having the meta be lower. We're all here to have fun, right? For the festival metas, I think the goal is for people to play and try all the activities, not be a master at it. At least that's what I think it should be.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The raceway makes me hate the beetle even more than I already did. I absolutely loathe this dumb mount. I would pay money to take it out back and shoot it. That's how much it frustrates me with how it is constantly on ice when you try to drift, and are lacking maneuverability in general. If you boost, you loose all control and that lasts for freaking ever as well. Hit a tiny little twig, and the raceway is _littered_ with tiny little stupid bumps, you are back at snail pace. It's so garbage, I don't even understand why they added this dumb mount in the first place. It's so poorly executed. I thought mounts were supposed to be fun. The beetle sure aren't. It's garbage and frustrating.

> @"Shaaba.5672" said:

> I agree with those who are happy with this change. I don't hate having very difficult achievements in this game, I think it's healthy. However, for festival content, let's lower the bar a bit, ok? I'd like it if this race still had an achievement for the 60 second finish while having the meta be lower. We're all here to have fun, right? For the festival metas, I think **the goal is for people to play and try all the activities, not be a master at it**. At least that's what I think it should be.

That's exactly what it should be. I'm sick of the whiners demanding challenge with EVERY aspect of the game. It's Mad King's Festival. It should be fun and doable by a casual majority otherwise why should they bother? I mean Gold Time Trial still needs <1min but at least the (Annual) race AP is doable by more than just the experts (friend did it on raptor and made it 1:27, I did it on jackal 3 times, running close to the expiring time for the lap AP). Optional challenges? Fine, go for it. Larger rewards, also fine. Like with the Wintersday JP; let us have an easy path with basic rewards and medium and expert paths get their larger rewards.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> More that not every achievement should be achievable by everyone.

I completely agree: GW2 is more fun _for me_ if there are _some_ achievements that are stretch goals for me **and** if there are some I will struggle to get... and might never succeed at.

However, I wouldn't agree (and I don't think @"Strider Pj.2193" was saying) that the umbrella achievements for Festivals should fall into this category of "too hard for some/many." Having the minimum number (9, for this year) be "mostly achievable" and only one be "possibly impossible" seems like a decent compromise. Before the latest patch, it left too many players feeling the festival end goal was out of their reach.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Kumouta.4985" said:

> > now i'll never learn how to drift :(

>

> Go to DR and beetle around the "downstairs" ring, running past the crafting stations and the entrances to the "gods" ramp and so on, keeping your speed up with injudicious use of the boost button. Now you can practice drifting into the Dwayna ramp (south, under the plaza where the bank/TP are). Penalty points for piling into the wagon or the wall, and fewer penalty points for sideswiping them, and call it "perfect" if you make a clean entrance without touching anything but the floor.

>

> But practice in the north-Kourna or north-central-Crystal-Oasis desert areas and/or Kessex Hills first.

Theres a difference between random environment and tracks designed to be possible.

OMG, after 6 hours I finally completed the JP! So... thinking about... it doesn't require a nerf... it's easy after all...

Lol, joking, even if now I finally understood how to do it, a slight slow down to the miasma wouldn't hurt (maybe even 1 second would be enough for most of the ppl). Last year I didn't manage to complete it, it was my first year and I still sucked with JP, I didn't complain.

This year there's this new achievement with 50 AP, so I tried for more hours. They have been generous to relax the raceway (30 additional seconds out of 60 it's a lot, especially if now you can complete it with a raptor or jackal, as others above said) and the 9/10 is also nice, we don't need to complete them all. But it's a festival, right, I would also avoid to put too tough contents (the tower is quite old btw).

Tip: try with an asura for the JP, it seemed a bit easier. After all... "tic-toc, the mouse ran up the clock". He clearly refers to the asura :D

Also, in general agree.

Sadly, I wish ArenaNet was so swift with fun-draining "need this one clearly artificially made rare item/material that basically ruins the whole journey to the reward experience" that is much more rampant and intrusive on peoples lives than a achievement that actually requires you to achieve something.

If the meta is the problem, then change only that.

Oh well Economy > Gameplay in GW2.

• ArenaNet Staff

I was very happy when I posted the update notes, because I knew the change would make a lot of people have a more enjoyable race experience, and allow them to make the achievement. I love how responsive the team was to the input! Thank you again for sharing your thoughts, especially those who provided tips to help other players!

> @"Digital Dragon.2697" said:

> I couldn't get past 1:08, but it did make me learn drifting. I think what would have been a better solution was to give tiers for this achievement.

The adventure (aka Time Trial) has tiers: bronze, silver, gold. Gold requires beating 1 minute 5 seconds, which is just over the original requirement for the _Drifting_ achievement.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Tiscan.8345" said:

> > Fun-Fact:

> >

> >

>

> For those who don't want to click external links, the tweet reads in full:

> "0.183%. That was the percentage of the 198,000 accounts registered on gw2efficiency that did the annual drift achievement before they changed its requirements."

Click external links? The tweet is visible, it's not just a link.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > @"theory.3580" said:

> > >

> > > Instead of removing difficult achievements in the future, can they please just be made non-required for their respective meta-achievements? That way everyone wins and no one suffers. People who are having trouble and want a relaxed fun experience can just skip the achievements that are too hard for them, and people who enjoy a challenge have an optional and enjoyable extra achievement to work towards.

> >

> > This.

> >

> > It's remarkable that ANet so loves their content that they want _all_ players (or as many as would do it at all) to do all content, rather than offering choice, so that there can be some challenging things out there without making it so that general goals depend on being both a completionist and a challenge lover.

>

> It already was not required since it only required you to do 9 out of 10 achievements

The problem with it being required was that if you can't do Clock Tower then you are essentially locked out completing the holiday meta. What I personally would have preferred was that they kept the difficulty the same but lowered the meta requirements to 8/10. That way those that can't jump and those that can't beetle well could still complete the holiday fun.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Tiscan.8345" said:

> > > Fun-Fact:

> > >

> > >

> >

> > And the course was out for how many days? And how many of those accounts tried it?

> More people did Qadim in the same timeframe since content release than this achievement. Let that sink in for you.

>

>

Ok? Again, my point was not, and it was stated initially as not about this particular achievement.

> @"Soren.9316" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > > @"theory.3580" said:

> > > >

> > > > Instead of removing difficult achievements in the future, can they please just be made non-required for their respective meta-achievements? That way everyone wins and no one suffers. People who are having trouble and want a relaxed fun experience can just skip the achievements that are too hard for them, and people who enjoy a challenge have an optional and enjoyable extra achievement to work towards.

> > >

> > > This.

> > >

> > > It's remarkable that ANet so loves their content that they want _all_ players (or as many as would do it at all) to do all content, rather than offering choice, so that there can be some challenging things out there without making it so that general goals depend on being both a completionist and a challenge lover.

> >

> > It already was not required since it only required you to do 9 out of 10 achievements

>

> The problem with it being required was that if you can't do Clock Tower then you are essentially locked out completing the holiday meta. What I personally would have preferred was that they kept the difficulty the same but lowered the meta requirements to 8/10. That way those that can't jump and those that can't beetle well could still complete the holiday fun.

I am bad at both things. I always need plenty of time to get to the end of the JP and also did not manage a sub 1 min time in the race. But we have at least two weeks to get it, so I do not see the rush?

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > @"Tiscan.8345" said:

> > > > Fun-Fact:

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > And the course was out for how many days? And how many of those accounts tried it?

> > More people did Qadim in the same timeframe since content release than this achievement. Let that sink in for you.

> >

> >

>

> Ok? Again, my point was not, and it was stated initially as not about this particular achievement.

Your point seemed to be that the numbers might be so low because it was a new content and not many people had a chance to try it yet.

So i compared it to Quadim, to show, that the completion rate of the last boss of the last raid wing, a challenging niche content addressed to a small subset of players, in the same amount of days had a bigger completion rate (by a whole order of magnitude, if i remember it well), that a festival achi that by its very nature is something that a much bigger group of players would try for.

And that ia festival content (and part of festival meta achievement) ends up having a completion rate order of magnitudes lower than a final boss in challenging endgame content, it's probably something worth thinking about.

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> While holding the drift button, you reorient the mount, then release the button, and the movement direction quickly changes to the new one in about 1s

Just one question, as I have been unable to figure this one out with certainty: does one have to press the directional keys (i.e., A and D) as well while drifting, or is it enough to adjust the camera direction?

For I can't seem to get below 1:05:00 minutes for the gold chest (I am always slightly above that time mark, no matter what I try).

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > While holding the drift button, you reorient the mount, then release the button, and the movement direction quickly changes to the new one in about 1s

>

> Just one question, as I have been unable to figure this one out with certainty: does one have to press the directional keys (i.e., A and D) as well while drifting, or is it enough to adjust the camera direction?

>

> For I can't seem to get below 1:05:00 minutes for the gold chest (I am always slightly above that time mark, no matter what I try).

Unfortunately the experience varies a lot between players.

Some people say it works for them when pressing both keys at the same time, some people say it's better to press the drift key first, then the direction key while still holding the drift key, then release both keys.

Some say it works for them by using the strafe keys, some say it works for them with the turn left and turn right keys.

Some say they have to hold the drift key the hole time, so say it works better by just tapping the key and quickly turning.

Some say it take a lot of time for them until the beetle begins to turn no matter how fast or slow it goes, some say they can turn right away in no time.

Some say it takes about 1 second for the beetle to get into the new direction right after coming out of speedboost, some say it slides longer, and takes 2-4 seconds.

The only way to know what works for you is reading all the things people say work for them, and trying all possible combinations.

I think it was one of the other two threads on this subject that I mentioned this but they could have kept that single achievement for completing a lap in under a minute but changed the annual one to just be regular completions. They could even have added a title like “Mad Drifter” for completing it in under a min. This way both sides of the issue win.

I am surprised that they changed the requirement so quickly.

Given a few more days I bet there will be more videos out showing people how to get the sub min time.

While some people complain about the difficulty of the timer, I see more people complain about the beetle control, track design which are probably the main reasons that people think the race is not fun.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Tiscan.8345" said:

> > > Fun-Fact:

> > >

> > >

> >

> > For those who don't want to click external links, the tweet reads in full:

> > "0.183%. That was the percentage of the 198,000 accounts registered on gw2efficiency that did the annual drift achievement before they changed its requirements."

>

> Click external links? The tweet is visible, it's not just a link.

It's just an external link for me.