Would you be interested in seeing a return of the Weapon Design Contest?

It isn't the sort of thing I would ever participate in and I wasn't as enamored of the skins as some other ppl were but I did think it was really cool that they included the community in the game in that way and then didn't just plop the items in a vendor or something but actually made little story quests for each one. It was really fun, so I said yes, but idk how often they would want to devote dev time to it like that . . .

> @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> I'd love to see a competition that actually includes non-us players for once. No from me.

The weapon design contest was open to non-US players. There were a few places you couldn't enter from, but I think it was for legal reasons (e.g. players from certain parts of Canada couldn't enter because of some anti-gambling laws that also prevent contests, or something like that).

> @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> I'd love to see a competition that actually includes non-us players for once. No from me.

An excerpt from the rules:

“Guild Wars 2 Design a Weapon Contest” is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including District of Columbia),

Canada (excluding Quebec) Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom...

Link to rules found here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-guild-wars-2-design-a-weapon-contest/

Yeah, the Weapons (those that made it in game and those who did not as well) were one of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen. The sword that was implemented fits my Main absolutely perfectly and I had no need for different skin ever since. So, it would be cool to have more players experience the same if they were not satisfied with the recent ones.

I like the idea of "Design a []" contests. It's a fun way to engage the community and give the artists/authors a chance to break out of their usual style. There's no reason this couldn't be extended beyond weapons: Back items, gliders, MountFits, and even scripted events.

However, it's also not something that a studio could do constantly. It's a pretty massive disruption to the process of design and requires a lot of extra attention. (Not to mention all the legal elements plus prizes plus...) It's worth doing; just not worth doing as often as some of us would want.

Be nice if they could manage something as often as once every expansion.

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> The weapon design contest was open to non-US players. There were a few places you couldn't enter from, but I think it was for legal reasons (e.g. players from certain parts of Canada couldn't enter because of some anti-gambling laws that also prevent contests, or something like that).

You couldn't enter from most of the world, by both geographical area and population. Ironically, the GW1 competitions had better availability than the GW2 ones do.

> @"Ben K.6238" said:

> You couldn't enter from most of the world, by both geographical area and population.

Most people in Antarctica don't play; geographical area isn't relevant.

The actual list is more/less US, Canada, and EU (including UK). That technically excludes most of the _world's_ population, but includes _most_ of the game's. There are plenty of Russian and Indonesian players, lots from Australia & Washington DC (in the US). But the vast majority of current players are eligible for participation.

> Ironically, the GW1 competitions had better availability than the GW2 ones do.

* [2005 Design a Weapon](http://gw1101.gtm.guildwars.com/events/contests/designaweaponcontest-rules.php): Eligibility (location): Entries will be accepted from residents of North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Korea.

* [2007 Design a Weapon](http://gw1101.gtm.guildwars.com/events/contests/designaweapon07/rules.php): Entries will be accepted from residents of North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. (US Exceptions: the State of Rhode Island, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories, military installations and commonwealths. Canadian Exceptions: Quebec. Canadian residents will be required to answer an additional mathematical question in order to claim their prize.)

Difference between 2005 & 2017: the earlier contest allowed Australia, New Zealand, and Korea (where the game's former publisher is based. Difference between 2007 & 2017: older contest allowed Australia, New Zealand, Korea (original publisher's HQ), China & Macau & Hong Kong (no longer possible due to contract with KongZhong), and Taiwan (the exclusion of which might also be a result of that contract).

_edit: typo (~~2018~~ 2017 contest) and minor grammar_

Frankly I would like to see:

-Weapon design contest

-Armor design contest

-Map design contest

-Elite spec. design contest

... yeah only that, not asking for a story one xD

But if at least, please keep the top 20! Not only three.....

Ah and with the full ranking.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> Correctly guided player participation will ALWAYS get a big yes from my side. However, Miss Lana has a point: contests should include all the player base, not only a subset.

So, because there is a law in _**one**_ player's country or region that excludes that player from the contest, *nobody* can participate?

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > I'd love to see a competition that actually includes non-us players for once. No from me.

>

> The weapon design contest was open to non-US players. There were a few places you couldn't enter from, but I think it was for legal reasons (e.g. players from certain parts of Canada couldn't enter because of some anti-gambling laws that also prevent contests, or something like that).

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > I'd love to see a competition that actually includes non-us players for once. No from me.

>

> An excerpt from the rules:

>

> “Guild Wars 2 Design a Weapon Contest” is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including District of Columbia),

> Canada (excluding Quebec) Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom...

>

> Link to rules found here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-guild-wars-2-design-a-weapon-contest/

Yep, I read them. Every time I've read the rules Australians have been left out.

Glad to see other countries can enter.

> @"narwhalsbend.7059" said:

> Yes, I would like to see the contest return, but I don't have any expectations that the winning designs won't get absurdly gaudy and worthy of only the Mystic Forge.

I was personally disappointed with typical sword and another nothing really special sword winning when there was a lot of rustic options to pick from. The torch was the only one actually unique.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > Correctly guided player participation will ALWAYS get a big yes from my side. However, Miss Lana has a point: contests should include all the player base, not only a subset.

>

> So, because there is a law in _**one**_ player's country or region that excludes that player from the contest, *nobody* can participate?

I never said nobody should participate. I was speaking about a severely disregarded ideal. I said MORE people should be able to participate.

In other words: Anet MUST make the effort to include as much of the player base as possible.

Because they didn't leave _**one**_ country out. They left _**165**_ countries out.

This is a list of the 165 countries NOT allowed in the past weapon design contest. Not even _**one**_ country from Asia, Africa, Oceania or Latin America was allowed to participate. The contest left out several countries truly well populated and well know for the quality of their design, like Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia or Israel. They also left out any smaller country outside of Europe, including countries like Chile, were I live, and were international internet contest aren't limited (AFAIK at least, since I have taken part in some, without problems):

Afghanistan

Albania

Algeria

Andorra

Angola

Antigua and Barbuda

Argentina

Armenia

Australia

Azerbaijan

Bahamas

Bahrain

Bangladesh

Barbados

Belarus

Belize

Benin

Bhutan

Bolivia

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Botswana

Brazil

Brunei Darussalam

Burkina Faso

Burundi

Cambodia

Cameroon

Cape Verde

Central African Republic

Chad

Chile

China

Colombia

Comoros

Congo (Republic of the)

Costa Rica

Côte d’Ivoire

Cuba

Democratic People’s Republic of Korea

Democratic Republic of the Congo

Djibouti

Dominica

Dominican Republic

Ecuador

Egypt

El Salvador

Equatorial Guinea

Eritrea

Ethiopia

Fiji

Gabon

Gambia

Georgia

Ghana

Grenada

Guatemala

Guinea

Guinea-Bissau

Guyana

Haiti

Honduras

Iceland

India

Indonesia

Iran

Iraq

Israel

Jamaica

Japan

Jordan

Kazakhstan

Kenya

Kiribati

Kuwait

Kyrgyzstan

Lao People’s Democratic Republic

Lebanon

Lesotho

Liberia

Libya

Liechtenstein

Madagascar

Malawi

Malaysia

Maldives

Mali

Marshall Islands

Mauritania

Mauritius

Mexico

Micronesia (Federated States of)

Monaco

Mongolia

Montenegro

Morocco

Mozambique

Myanmar

Namibia

Nauru

Nepal

New Zealand

Nicaragua

Niger

Nigeria

Norway

Oman

Pakistan

Palau

Panama

Papua New Guinea

Paraguay

Peru

Philippines

Qatar

Republic of Korea

Republic of Moldova

Russian Federation

Rwanda

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Samoa

San Marino

Sao Tome and Principe

Saudi Arabia

Senegal

Serbia

Seychelles

Sierra Leone

Singapore

Solomon Islands

Somalia

South Africa

South Sudan

Sri Lanka

Sudan

Suriname

Swaziland

Switzerland

Syria

Tajikistan

Thailand

The (former)Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

Timor Leste

Togo

Tonga

Trinidad and Tobago

Tunisia

Turkey

Turkmenistan

Tuvalu

Uganda

Ukraine

United Arab Emirates

United of Republic of Tanzania

Uruguay

Uzbekistan

Vanuatu

Venezuela

Viet Nam

Yemen

Zambia

Zimbabwe

The world is not just North America and Europe.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Ben K.6238" said:

> > You couldn't enter from most of the world, by both geographical area and population.

> Most people in Antarctica don't play; geographical area isn't relevant.

>

> The actual list is more/less US, Canada, and EU (including UK). That technically excludes most of the _world's_ population, but includes _most_ of the game's. There are plenty of Russian and Indonesian players, lots from Australia & Washington DC (in the US). But the vast majority of current players are eligible for participation.

That might be why I mentioned population.

While it's clear that most of GW2's current population remains in the bounds of the EU, USA and Canada, continuing to make decisions that only take residents of those two general areas into account is a great way to ensure it stays that way, even during a period where online games grow rapidly in popularity in south-east Asia and South America. I have to note that this includes server locations and skill designs working poorly on high latency; it's not limited to more trivial considerations such as contest availability.

But the disappearance of regions in eastern Asia that were previously eligible, yet now are not, despite their playerbases still existing in GW2 seems a bit careless to me.