Why have gender in Guild Wars?

> @"Aktium.9506" said:

> because females have two xx chromosomes and males have one x chromosome and one y chromosome in the real world

[sort of](https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_chromosome_disorders)

While XY males and XX females are most common there are people with

XXY

XXX

XYY

XXXY

XXXX

X only, no additional X or Y

In addition there are XX females and XX males

Plus XY males who are outwardly female, raised as female and may not be diagnosed until puberty.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Aktium.9506" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > [sort of](https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_chromosome_disorders)

> my dude, those are all diseases and disorders

You said “because females have two xx chromosomes and males have one x chromosome and one y chromosome in the real world.”which makes it sound like there are no exceptions. I was pointing out that it’s not as sharply defined as you said it was. It’s a lot blurrier.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> You said “because females have two xx chromosomes and males have one x chromosome and one y chromosome in the real world.”which makes it sound like there are no exceptions. I was pointing out that it’s not as sharply defined as you said it was. It’s a lot blurrier.

my bad

i should have said healthy females and healthy males

exceptions are just that, exceptions. ain't nothing blurred about it. the nail that sticks up get hammered in one way or another.

> @"Aktium.9506" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > You said “because females have two xx chromosomes and males have one x chromosome and one y chromosome in the real world.”which makes it sound like there are no exceptions. I was pointing out that it’s not as sharply defined as you said it was. It’s a lot blurrier.

> my bad

> i should have said healthy females and healthy males

>

> exceptions are just that, exceptions. ain't nothing blurred about it. the nail that sticks up get hammered in one way or another.

Well there’s always another, chimeras. Such as the woman who turned out to be both genetically male and female. That is half of her cells are XX and half are XY. In her case when in her mom’s womb she and a twin brother merged together and became one baby. She was born female, raised female, got married, got pregnant and bore children but then it turned out she was her kid’s aunt because it was her brother’s genetics that passed to her kid, not hers. She is perfectly healthy and fertile and considers herself to be female even though she is half XY.

She was found out by DNA testing but other than that know one knew and know one knows how frequently fetuses merge in the womb.

Having the two specific model types to choose which esthetics you want to focus on is a good starting point for any game and character creation. You don't have to follow the rules if you can pull off a certain look. The two genders just means how different cosmetic pieces works on them. Overall I would prefer using whatever piece you want on a character with no restrictions if it doesn't make sense why you can't. Model restrictions are the exception.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Titanium Pig.1462" said:

> > What's the alternative (s)? Androgynous amorphous androids, robots?

>

> Hey now there is an idea. A MMO where the only playable races are things like slimes and gelatinous oozes.

You're both using the word androgynous wrong. It doesn't mean having or showing no gender, it means having or showing both male and female at the same time. Kind of sounds like what the OP wants.

Speaking as an androgyne I have no problem with my characters being either male or female. It's impossible and impractical to code for all possible genders (and yes, there are more than two). So pick one and run with it.

I'm going to hazard a guess here, but I think the OP might be referring to things that... other MMOs... do.

The stance that GW2 has taken is very modern western on the issue of the sexes. That is, that both sexes have no operational difference between each other. Other games do not take this stance. In Japan and Korea, for example, differences between the sexes are readily embraced. This translates into their games, too, where the sexes will have different bonuses, or have different classes locked to them. I think that Black Desert Online is one of those games that has sex-locked classes.

> @"Staynair.8073" said:

>

> I wonder why the skeletons are different? I would figure they were the same and the difference would be in size. Are the skeletons (between male and female) different for each race? Since this is a game, what do you gain by having two skeletons. Wouldn't that add complexity and cost to the development?

An artist friend once told me that drawing isn't about drawing everything correct to the last detail. It's about tricking the eye and mind into understanding the image you wish to present, even if doing so requires deviation from what it should really look like.

To make male and female options (so players have more choice in what kind of character they make), they needed body types that matched the visual expectations of "this is male" and "this is female". Doing this for most of the races requires two different skeletal rigs. It would be nice to have more than two basic choices, but that would give little payout in player satisfaction compared to the cost of implementing it. The two rigs are then given their own animations, in part to differentiate them from each other and in part because some animations may not work as well on one rig as on the other. They have to move "right", and because the proportions are different sometimes that means that the movements have to change as well.

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> Everywhere I explore in Tyria, for every enemy I slay, for every victory, for every defeat, one thing has always been on my screen through all of that, and that is my butt...

>

> Please dont take away my ability to make sexy butts to stare at all day.

Exactly, dont take away our ability to play Charr.

> @"Staynair.8073" said:

> So this may seem stupid, but I was thinking "What is the purpose of gender in a computer game?" There is no difference in what the avatar can do based on its gender so why have it? You can still personalize the way the avatar looks without having to choose a gender.

The ERP community takes this as a AFFRONT to our HUMANITY

Gender exists within GW2 at the point of character creation as a player choice but is irrelevant everywhere else in the game. There are no gender specific skills or bonuses.

As a player you are free to make the gender of your character whatever you want it to be, and can change this at will (Total Make Over kit). In terms of how the character behaves, that is entirely up to you as a player.

> @"Staynair.8073" said:

> So this may seem stupid, but I was thinking "What is the purpose of gender in a computer game?" There is no difference in what the avatar can do based on its gender so why have it? You can still personalize the way the avatar looks without having to choose a gender.

There is! My male norn warrior can be brave and stupid, my fem. norn mesmer can be stubborn and £oki, my asura fem ranger -nerds, my male asura mersmer, nerds and being cynic. My human male necro sounds stupid and bragging, my fem necro is stylish. My male salad thief is naive and nasty(i don't wanna talk of this guy really)

:) etc

Gimme one good reason to don't have genders in game, one valid reason.

I can give you a valid reason for having them. Taking in account that GW2 is living world, races have to somehow keep population, right?

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > So this may seem stupid, but I was thinking "What is the purpose of gender in a computer game?" There is no difference in what the avatar can do based on its gender so why have it? You can still personalize the way the avatar looks without having to choose a gender.

>

> There is! My male norn warrior can be brave and stupid, my fem. norn mesmer can be stubborn and £oki, my asura fem ranger -nerds, my male asura mersmer, nerds and being cynic. My human male necro sounds stupid and bragging, my fem necro is stylish. My male salad thief is naive and nasty(i don't wanna talk of this guy really)

> :) etc

>

> Gimme one good reason to don't have genders in game, one valid reason.

>

> I can give you a valid reason for having them. Taking in account that GW2 is living world, races have to somehow keep population, right?

Im sure Asura could make lab babies

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > So this may seem stupid, but I was thinking "What is the purpose of gender in a computer game?" There is no difference in what the avatar can do based on its gender so why have it? You can still personalize the way the avatar looks without having to choose a gender.

> >

> > There is! My male norn warrior can be brave and stupid, my fem. norn mesmer can be stubborn and £oki, my asura fem ranger -nerds, my male asura mersmer, nerds and being cynic. My human male necro sounds stupid and bragging, my fem necro is stylish. My male salad thief is naive and nasty(i don't wanna talk of this guy really)

> > :) etc

> >

> > Gimme one good reason to don't have genders in game, one valid reason.

> >

> > I can give you a valid reason for having them. Taking in account that GW2 is living world, races have to somehow keep population, right?

>

> Im sure Asura could make lab babies

prove it

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > > So this may seem stupid, but I was thinking "What is the purpose of gender in a computer game?" There is no difference in what the avatar can do based on its gender so why have it? You can still personalize the way the avatar looks without having to choose a gender.

> > >

> > > There is! My male norn warrior can be brave and stupid, my fem. norn mesmer can be stubborn and £oki, my asura fem ranger -nerds, my male asura mersmer, nerds and being cynic. My human male necro sounds stupid and bragging, my fem necro is stylish. My male salad thief is naive and nasty(i don't wanna talk of this guy really)

> > > :) etc

> > >

> > > Gimme one good reason to don't have genders in game, one valid reason.

> > >

> > > I can give you a valid reason for having them. Taking in account that GW2 is living world, races have to somehow keep population, right?

> >

> > Im sure Asura could make lab babies

>

> prove it

Im sure they're smart enough to make lab babies, they could probably do cross genetics too...

Ya know? Take a bit of Raptor and put it inside a Charr and you could have a Charraptor!

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > > > So this may seem stupid, but I was thinking "What is the purpose of gender in a computer game?" There is no difference in what the avatar can do based on its gender so why have it? You can still personalize the way the avatar looks without having to choose a gender.

> > > >

> > > > There is! My male norn warrior can be brave and stupid, my fem. norn mesmer can be stubborn and £oki, my asura fem ranger -nerds, my male asura mersmer, nerds and being cynic. My human male necro sounds stupid and bragging, my fem necro is stylish. My male salad thief is naive and nasty(i don't wanna talk of this guy really)

> > > > :) etc

> > > >

> > > > Gimme one good reason to don't have genders in game, one valid reason.

> > > >

> > > > I can give you a valid reason for having them. Taking in account that GW2 is living world, races have to somehow keep population, right?

> > >

> > > Im sure Asura could make lab babies

> >

> > prove it

>

> Im sure they're smart enough to make lab babies, they could probably do cross genetics too...

>

> Ya know? Take a bit of Raptor and put it inside a Charr and you could have a Charraptor!

That is only your assumptions. Asura being smart also practical race, they won't waste time on inventing a bicycle.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > > > > So this may seem stupid, but I was thinking "What is the purpose of gender in a computer game?" There is no difference in what the avatar can do based on its gender so why have it? You can still personalize the way the avatar looks without having to choose a gender.

> > > > >

> > > > > There is! My male norn warrior can be brave and stupid, my fem. norn mesmer can be stubborn and £oki, my asura fem ranger -nerds, my male asura mersmer, nerds and being cynic. My human male necro sounds stupid and bragging, my fem necro is stylish. My male salad thief is naive and nasty(i don't wanna talk of this guy really)

> > > > > :) etc

> > > > >

> > > > > Gimme one good reason to don't have genders in game, one valid reason.

> > > > >

> > > > > I can give you a valid reason for having them. Taking in account that GW2 is living world, races have to somehow keep population, right?

> > > >

> > > > Im sure Asura could make lab babies

> > >

> > > prove it

> >

> > Im sure they're smart enough to make lab babies, they could probably do cross genetics too...

> >

> > Ya know? Take a bit of Raptor and put it inside a Charr and you could have a Charraptor!

>

> That is only your assumptions. Asura being smart also practical race, they won't waste time on inventing a bicycle.

It wasn't an assumption, just a bad Jurassic World joke apparently

Since we're talking about gender, I would like to ask you something:

Would you like the option to choose what 'gender version' you want for clothing?

There are armor sets and outfits that look the same on both male and female. In these cases, there is only one 'version'. But for other armor sets and outfits, there are two versions, the 'male version' and the 'female version'. Many times I wish I could choose 'the other version' for my characters.