Expansion or living world, which do you prefer?

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I like both; expansions when they are released for big changes, and Living World in-between to tide one over.

I'm with Inculpatus cedo on this, I enjoy both and am really hoping for an expansion next year.

Expansions for the burst of big story arc (and associated content like AP, new maps, new elite specializations and a general overall mixup) and living world episodes for the new raid, fractal and mini story content released.

Expansions have the great advantage that it can build on itself. You can introduce new mechanics and masteries for maps and you can guarantee that any player who owns it will have access to them, further opening up creativity when it comes to designing environments. Living world cannot do this and they have seriously limited themselves whenever that was the case in the past. Latest example is Sun's Refuge. It might just be a proof of concept, but it's still sad that this huge thing won't be expanded upon, since they cannot guarantee that newer players would have access to the respective episode(s). I feel like something needs to change about that, like making more story instances out of that or having a direct travel there from later episodes if it would be sensible to make a return. Stuff like that is why I prefer expansions over individual episodes.

I prefer content drops. I find living world inconsistent in terms of quality, even more so this season.

Having said that, I've found them more conducive to alt play compared to expansions.

Overall I would have preferred set campaigns in drops, but the game appears to thrive in the current model which is the important thing

Expansions. Living World makes me angry. GW2 is supposed to be the MMO you can pick up and play casually, leave for a while, come back, and not feel like you have missed out and are behind. But Living World changes that. If you leave and don't unlock it, you have to buy it. And if you missed out on Season 1, that's just too bad.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > I like both; expansions when they are released for big changes, and Living World in-between to tide one over.

>

> I'm with Inculpatus cedo on this, I enjoy both and am really hoping for an expansion next year.

I'm with @"Cyninja.2954", on agreeing with @"Inculpatus cedo.9234".

> @"Rpgtabbycat.5869" said:

> Expansions. Living World makes me angry. GW2 is supposed to be the MMO you can pick up and play casually, leave for a while, come back, and not feel like you have missed out and are behind. But Living World changes that. If you leave and don't unlock it, you have to buy it. And if you missed out on Season 1, that's just too bad.

Just log in for a second, just to unlock it.

I have plenty of days i don't game, but i just take 5 seconds to log in to keep the log in rewards rolling ;)

I was thinking they're the same thing in different packaging, but based on some of the comments here it's clear that there are a few ways in which that's not (and can not be) true.

I'd have to say I prefer the expansions based on the scope of additions they allow. Living World additions have been pretty good lately though.