thank god we have player that allow necromancer in end game content

DragonFury.6243

I don't know why your images have a huge blank part, but w/e...

I might be outdated, but don't people used to run certain bosses with multiple scourge for epidemic cleave? Pretty sure I did it on Vale Guardian, Sabetha, Slothasor, Trio, Xera, Mursaat Overseer and Soulless Horror (Never did anything past River of Souls or Wing 6)

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> I don't know why your images have a huge blank part, but w/e...

>

> I might be outdated, but don't people used to run certain bosses with multiple scourge for epidemic cleave? Pretty sure I did it on Vale Guardian, Sabetha, Slothasor, Trio, Xera, Mursaat Overseer and Soulless Horror (Never did anything past River of Souls or Wing 6)

yes but they nerf epidemic by 50% 9 patches ago

[Game Update Notes: July 10, 2018](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/47306/game-update-notes-july-10-2018#latest "Game Update Notes: July 10, 2018")

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"DragonFury.6243" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"DragonFury.6243" said:

> > > > **words mean nothing without actions i hope you learn this at least**

> > >

> > > So true ... you should take your own advice: What actions has Anet done in the history of this game that makes you think what I've said is incorrect? My observations are based on the game history and Anet's approach to developing it; yours are not. I don't have these problems you do ... I understand how the game works and taken that into account when doing content with Necro. It's not the game that should accommodate you, it's that you need to adjust to the game.

> > >

> > > The fact is that you experience this because of the way the game is designed and you have little appreciation for it. You want to play how you want while ignoring how others want to play. It's not something that missing or forgotten in the game that causes this; the design of the game results in favoured classes for people that want to play optimally.

> > >

> > > Bottomline is that you need to learn how to team as a Necro. yes, it's an extra step other classes don't frequently encounter; that's just the nature of the class. Once you figure it out (and its the same for ALL classes), you don't have these problems. IIRC, this isn't the first time you've been told what you need to do to either so honestly, if you aren't willing to take people's advice that know what they are doing and just complain the game doesn't cater to your exacting whim, that's your fault.

> >

> > again you make this about me and that is pathetic

>

> No, what's pathetic is that you think you should simply be able to join whatever team you want, irregardless of how the people in that team want to play. For some reason, you think play how you want ideal should only apply to you when it suits you and screw everyone else. How come I don't have the same problems you do? We play the same class, yet I can raid and you claim you can't. That **IS** a you problem. You see, some people have this figured out; you are part of the group that doesn't. Yes, Anet will make changes and meta will shift, but that's not going to change how people who play optimal teams think; they are still going to want to have optimal classes. Choose well.

>

> > @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952"

> > "Play how you want" really means "Play according to the game's rules," not total anarchy.

>

> Sure, but we don't have total anarchy. There is a system in place and it allows players to play exactly how they want. If it wasn't according to the games rules, it wouldn't work like it does; it would be hard coded to team people through the game's rules, not the people's. Maybe it should have been, but then again, I wan't to play with my friends, not randomly selected players from a pool the game decides. Allowing players choice has and still is a major selling point of this game. I doubt that's going to change because some people can't figure out how to get teams with classes they want to play.

Personally and this is my 2 cents: If a person who can really play their class and knows how to do the raid cannot get into a raid because the class is too situational that in most cases its not desired, its the class not the person who plays said class. It is one thing to say the person dies repeatedly and doesn't understand the raid, and its another to say they play optimally and still the class is too situational, and too limited with the tools that its more likely to be rejected over any other class which performs better on any raid.

?️eteran raider here. I own all 3 sets of legendary armor.

Yes, it is true some Necros hae shitty DPS. It's hard to play, and few people try to master it.

However, it's an extremely useful class. Despite benchmarking only 2k DPS lower than a holosmith (big deal...), a Necromancer brings tons of great utility. Barrier, Cleanses, Epi, etc... If you can bite the bullet for a slight further DPS loss then you can take Blood Magic, which greatly increases sustain of the team as well as brings some of THE best revives in the game.

I think Necromancer is a very good class to take in raids. Sometimes 4DPS + 1 Support-y DPS is better than 5DPS.

In my opinion the biggest issue is choice.

In raids necros are still sub par on a lot of stuff, and they are sub par in dps.

Take for instance Druids.

Druids are a good example of sacrificing dps to be a healer, its a choice of build, and they can go full dps.

Necromancers are still weaker in both than most classes, because the support is a offensive one, and it under performs in raids.

It works well in fractals because of boons to corrupt, but without boons to corrupt, it just isn't worth having a scourge for that.

First part : Reaper

Pros : self might stack, self (perma)quickness, strong CC, easy to play, robust. I really love reaper in open world, and WvW, for these reasons.

Cons :

Supports can't "heal life force" while in Death Shroud. You can lose all your DPS if you take dmg while in shroud (all ferocity bonus, Strength of Undeath, etc), and it arrives often.

"Close to Death" useless half the fight (like elem BttH that's right), as the #5 Death Shroud (except for CC of course)

May be Benchmark is 30k (10% less than others) but in condition it's 17k at very best, ~20% less.

It's effective may be in Fractals PUG, where you can't give too much confidence to random chrono/support, squishy weaver, etc; and even that I can easily double the dmg burst with a DH or easier with a weaver.

In raids, no.

Until updates changes meta, AND until people judge about classes and build by their own and not by outdated website etc, reaper is not viable.

Second part : commander/players do what they want. If they want full daredevil compo, 200KP, 300 Li, 25 gummy bears, 25$ paypal; okai. Make your own group if you don't respect the conditions.

> @"Zhaid Zhem.6508" said:

> First part : Reaper

> Pros : self might stack, self (perma)quickness, strong CC, easy to play, robust. I really love reaper in open world, and WvW, for these reasons.

> Cons :

> Supports can't "heal life force" while in Death Shroud. You can lose all your DPS if you take dmg while in shroud (all ferocity bonus, Strength of Undeath, etc), and it arrives often.

> "Close to Death" useless half the fight (like elem BttH that's right), as the #5 Death Shroud (except for CC of course)

> May be Benchmark is 30k (10% less than others) but in condition it's 17k at very best, ~20% less.

>

> It's effective may be in Fractals PUG, where you can't give too much confidence to random chrono/support, squishy weaver, etc; and even that I can easily double the dmg burst with a DH or easier with a weaver.

> In raids, no.

> Until updates changes meta, AND until people judge about classes and build by their own and not by outdated website etc, reaper is not viable.

>

> Second part : commander/players do what they want. If they want full daredevil compo, 200KP, 300 Li, 25 gummy bears, 25$ paypal; okai. Make your own group if you don't respect the conditions.

>

>

first i agree but what about scourge

second i agree but the commander/players wanted 20kp and a dps so i joined but the commander/players think its well known fact that no necro is allowed in raids they didnt say no necro but think that every one knows that

and as a necro that make me cringe

> @"Kain Francois.4328" said:

> ?️eteran raider here. I own all 3 sets of legendary armor.

>

> Yes, it is true some Necros hae kitten DPS. It's hard to play, and few people try to master it.

>

> However, it's an extremely useful class. Despite benchmarking only 2k DPS lower than a holosmith (big deal...), a Necromancer brings tons of great utility. Barrier, Cleanses, Epi, etc... If you can bite the bullet for a slight further DPS loss then you can take Blood Magic, which greatly increases sustain of the team as well as brings some of THE best revives in the game.

>

> I think Necromancer is a very good class to take in raids. Sometimes 4DPS + 1 Support-y DPS is better than 5DPS.

In which patch are you playing that necro is only 2-3k below. Some test server patch in the future?

I guess you are referring to that power reaper build, that brings absolutely nothing but a little bit of cc to the group.

Not to mention that it's far more conditional than power engi.

But you are describing scourge, which is 6k DPS behind engineer.

And the sustain you get from bloodmagic isn't even mentionable. Round about 300 heal per second if everyone is able to do one attack every half second.

That's not even a regeneration tick.

Only the revives are good. But who needs that in decent or good groups?

> @"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

> > @"Nimon.7840" said:

>

> > But you are describing scourge, which is 6k DPS behind engineer.

>

> Scourge is a Support spec technically so being 6k being a full dps build isnt really that bad

>

>

It can be built as a support but the one listed on sc is a pure dps build that gives barriers now and again, also its 6k dps from the weakest build of another class.

It's really hard to play my favorite class (reaper) in all forms of the game. They suck at pvp, they suck at raiding, they suck at fractals. I always get called out for being a Reaper if I manage to get into a raid or fractal and something goes wrong. It's like playing Shaman all over again in WoW.

> > @"Nimon.7840" said:

>

> > But you are describing scourge, which is 6k DPS behind engineer.

>

> Scourge is a Support spec technically so being 6k being a full dps build isnt really that bad

>

>

Any spec that fart boons could be described as support as well, it doesn't mean that despite their support they are limited in their dps, I'd even say that they would riot if it was the case. Look, DE have great options to give a lot of boons would you imagine them being 6k behind an average "dps" build when using their dps traits like the scourge do?

The reality is that the dps output of the scourge is tied to it's ability to corrupt boons and transfert condition and that just doesn't work in PvE end game content because mobs with large amount of vigor, aegis or even regen that are corrupted into damaging conditions don't exist in game. Now, even if bosses ended up having those boons, the mesmer would still remove them faster than the necromancer could due to their boon hate on sword auto. As for transfering condition, the rare burst of condition that the characters receive in end game content don't really help this aspect to shine as well.

The condi scourge is designed to be strong in boon heavy area, just like the core condi necromancer or the reaper. If PvE was an ideal environment for the necromancer, it would be hell for other professions and ANet couldn't begin to end the complaints about how unfair the game is and how necromancer is way to strong in PvE. The right choice should obviously be to developpe other mean of offense for the necromancer but, the boon meta is so rampant is sPvP/WvW that ANet just can't help trying to focus more and more on the counters to this meta, pushing the necromancer always on the edge of PvE while making it "to" strong against players.

Boons are overflowing in game and nobody care about them, there are even player that think those boons are "weak". However, as soon as conditions are overflowing (the main consequences of boon corruption) people cry about how cancerous they are.

With the current system, if you disregard boon corruption and give the scourge enough damage to be competitive in PvE, he become way to strong in PvP, while the opposite is right if you take boon corruption into account. It's not difficult to understand that there is an issue with the necromancers tools that create a gap in performance based on the gamemode. The best solution would probably be to remove boon corruption (replace it by simple boon ripping) from the game and give the necromancer normalized way to deal damage. That said, neither a large part of the necromancer community nor ANet would be willing to do so.

> @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> @"Obtena.7952"

> "Play how you want" really means "Play according to the game's rules," not total anarchy.

>

> Arenanet set up the mechanics for instanced content and the mechanics for grouping. There are many other examples of group PvE in the MMO industry, both good and bad, to use as examples. They chose to give players a great deal of control over grouping and designed the encounters. If that results in profession and build exclusion, that is on them and, if raiding is a controversial topic, it is because of Arenanet's design approach.

>

> Feel free to raid, not raid, change your main profession, flame your raid group members, train your raid group members, never buy gems, or play another game. Those are your rights.

>

> Should Arenanet think raids are not quite what they envisioned, they have the right to change the rules. They did that with ascended gear, for example, opening it up for people who play competitive modes and fractals instead of having it having it be PvE-only. However, changing a bunch of content could be more work than just changing a profession.

>

> Reaper was introduced to give Necro power-cleave. Scourge gave group support. Both were OP at some point due to bugs and unintended exploits and are now thoroughly nerfed out of meta. On the other hand, both are good for way-off-meta groups.

>

> That is one reason to consider automated grouping: If a raider was faced with a real chance of off-meta builds and group comp, Necro with its steady dps up-time might not seem so bad.

ArenaNet only deserves half the blame. The preferences for grouped content are totally made up by the people who can choose to include a Necromancer or not include one. This is why it is hard to convince ANet to just bump DPS to solve the situation, the dps requirement is an artificial creation not related to game balance but a desired efficiency level. Since the problem is not 100% mechanical balance it will always be hard to convince ANet of the need to change the balance of the profession. The truth is, Necromancer can do most of the end game content. Plenty of Necromancer players report as much when they get to play on a team.

Thus to some degree, the community itself is also at fault as they decide on their own what is an acceptable power level.

> @"Farkon.2170" said:

> It's really hard to play my favorite class (reaper) in all forms of the game. They suck at pvp, they suck at raiding, they suck at fractals. I always get called out for being a Reaper if I manage to get into a raid or fractal and something goes wrong. It's like playing Shaman all over again in WoW.

Really? They suck at PvP. Really?

> @"Dace.8173" said:

> > @"Farkon.2170" said:

> > It's really hard to play my favorite class (reaper) in all forms of the game. They suck at pvp, they suck at raiding, they suck at fractals. I always get called out for being a Reaper if I manage to get into a raid or fractal and something goes wrong. It's like playing Shaman all over again in WoW.

>

> Really? They suck at PvP. Really?

Play 1 with out a pocket healer and watch it drop like a rock

> @"Sephylon.4938" said:

> > @"Dace.8173" said:

> > > @"Farkon.2170" said:

> > > It's really hard to play my favorite class (reaper) in all forms of the game. They suck at pvp, they suck at raiding, they suck at fractals. I always get called out for being a Reaper if I manage to get into a raid or fractal and something goes wrong. It's like playing Shaman all over again in WoW.

> >

> > Really? They suck at PvP. Really?

>

> Play 1 with out a pocket healer and watch it drop like a rock

buff the sustain and you have a class that's more op than mesmer

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > @"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

> > > @"Nimon.7840" said:

> >

> > > But you are describing scourge, which is 6k DPS behind engineer.

> >

> > Scourge is a Support spec technically so being 6k being a full dps build isnt really that bad

> >

> >

>

> Any spec that fart boons could be described as support as well, it doesn't mean that despite their support they are limited in their dps, I'd even say that they would riot if it was the case. Look, DE have great options to give a lot of boons would you imagine them being 6k behind an average "dps" build when using their dps traits like the scourge do?

>

> The reality is that the dps output of the scourge is tied to it's ability to corrupt boons and transfert condition and that just doesn't work in PvE end game content because mobs with large amount of vigor, aegis or even regen that are corrupted into damaging conditions don't exist in game. Now, even if bosses ended up having those boons, the mesmer would still remove them faster than the necromancer could due to their boon hate on sword auto. As for transfering condition, the rare burst of condition that the characters receive in end game content don't really help this aspect to shine as well.

>

> The condi scourge is designed to be strong in boon heavy area, just like the core condi necromancer or the reaper. If PvE was an ideal environment for the necromancer, it would be hell for other professions and ANet couldn't begin to end the complaints about how unfair the game is and how necromancer is way to strong in PvE. The right choice should obviously be to developpe other mean of offense for the necromancer but, the boon meta is so rampant is sPvP/WvW that ANet just can't help trying to focus more and more on the counters to this meta, pushing the necromancer always on the edge of PvE while making it "to" strong against players.

>

> Boons are overflowing in game and nobody care about them, there are even player that think those boons are "weak". However, as soon as conditions are overflowing (the main consequences of boon corruption) people cry about how cancerous they are.

>

> With the current system, if you disregard boon corruption and give the scourge enough damage to be competitive in PvE, he become way to strong in PvP, while the opposite is right if you take boon corruption into account. It's not difficult to understand that there is an issue with the necromancers tools that create a gap in performance based on the gamemode. The best solution would probably be to remove boon corruption (replace it by simple boon ripping) from the game and give the necromancer normalized way to deal damage. That said, neither a large part of the necromancer community nor ANet would be willing to do so.

Deadeye at the minute is better at DPS, why would it go support when Chrono/Druid/Bannerslave are better, the issue with scourge is its dps isn't amazing in PvE but it's support is actually really good (We use a support scourge over a druid for T4s and CM) now most pugs don't see Scourge as a support and only as a Dps and that's a community problem where they only look at benchmarks and take whatever is top, Scourge support should be buffed a little by giving a party wide buff through a traitline imo, To me, Reaper is the necro's version of power damage, and thus it should be a viable option so elitist pugs allow necros into a group, Balancing the game with 3 different game modes is literally impossible to do and when they announced (some time ago) that they would do more skill splits I was kinda hopeful, but they have still nerfed a class in all game modes although the problem was in a different game mode, being the Lava font nerf a good example of it

> @"Farkon.2170" said:

> > @"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

> > buff the sustain and you have a class that's more op than mesmer

>

> I disagree.

>

>

Well no, actually whatever you buff on the necromancer he become OP in PvP. The issue is that what work in PvP don't necessarily work in every game mode and necromancer's tools are heavy in PvP while they tend to be very light in PvE.

If we talk about more sustain to the necromancer it will be either some life siphon or some shroud related stuff. Both would end up overperforming in PvP while staying meh in PvE.

> Deadeye at the minute is better at DPS, why would it go support when Chrono/Druid/Bannerslave are better, the issue with scourge is its dps isn't amazing in PvE but it's support is actually really good (We use a support scourge over a druid for T4s and CM) now most pugs don't see Scourge as a support and only as a Dps and that's a community problem where they only look at benchmarks and take whatever is top,

My comment came from you reacting to the fact that a scourge dps build being 6k behind other was OK. It's not, just like a DE dps build shouldn't be 6k behind other just because he can invest in support.

> Scourge support should be buffed a little by giving a party wide buff through a traitline imo,

I think ANet is in a tricky situation when it come to party wide buff because such buffs can make or break a meta. In the case of the necromancer they try to promote the underwhelming _vampiric presence_ but to player life siphon are hardly competitive in PvE due to the fact that they do not crit. If you add to that the fact that ANet didn't designed the necromancer around the idea of passive support but around the idea of aggressive support, seeing such thing happen is highly unlikely.

> To me, Reaper is the necro's version of power damage, and thus it should be a viable option so elitist pugs allow necros into a group,

They did increase reaper's power damages but power damages on necromancers are flawed at core. Their choices in the way they buffed power reaper wasn't especially great either leading to high burst and poor sustain damage which created issue in sPvP while the damage stayed below average in PvE. Ironically, what hold back the necromancer in PvE is probably it's ability to reach 100% crit chance without having to gear for it. It gate the reaper's damage behind the shroud that just can't last long enough to pay off in a PvE encounter.

> Balancing the game with 3 different game modes is literally impossible to do and when they announced (some time ago) that they would do more skill splits I was kinda hopeful, but they have still nerfed a class in all game modes although the problem was in a different game mode, being the Lava font nerf a good example of it

Indeed, ANet have the tools for and said they would make more split between gamemodes. However, they also said that don't want to have to many differences for professions between gamemodes and they absolutely don't want to split mechanisms. Every patch I cringe when I see how they balance, sure sometime it push a profession in the right direction but the way it's done is more destructive than anything. It always lead to stupid forseeable consequences that only end with ridiculous nerfs. It's just painful to see.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > @"Farkon.2170" said:

> > > @"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

> > > buff the sustain and you have a class that's more op than mesmer

> >

> > I disagree.

> >

> >

>

> Well no, actually whatever you buff on the necromancer he become OP in PvP. The issue is that what work in PvP don't necessarily work in every game mode and necromancer's tools are heavy in PvP while they tend to be very light in PvE.

>

> If we talk about more sustain to the necromancer it will be either some life siphon or some shroud related stuff. Both would end up overperforming in PvP while staying meh in PvE.

Agreed; more specifically, Defiance just deletes the soft CC conditions that Necro counts on in competitive modes. Their effect on break bars is a poor compensation but is better than nothing.

Buffing sustain or dps must be very challenging for the dev's. Group support utilities like Transfusion, barriers, condi-control, and so on should be easier to balance.

> > @"Farkon.2170" said:

> > > @"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

> > > buff the sustain and you have a class that's more op than mesmer

> >

> > I disagree.

> >

> >

>

> Of course, I am Rock, Scissors is fine, Nerf Paper... the cycle continues

Except, necro is none of these. They're a 4th addition that loses too all 3.

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"DragonFury.6243" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > @"DragonFury.6243" said:

> > > > > **words mean nothing without actions i hope you learn this at least**

> > > >

> > > > So true ... you should take your own advice: What actions has Anet done in the history of this game that makes you think what I've said is incorrect? My observations are based on the game history and Anet's approach to developing it; yours are not. I don't have these problems you do ... I understand how the game works and taken that into account when doing content with Necro. It's not the game that should accommodate you, it's that you need to adjust to the game.

> > > >

> > > > The fact is that you experience this because of the way the game is designed and you have little appreciation for it. You want to play how you want while ignoring how others want to play. It's not something that missing or forgotten in the game that causes this; the design of the game results in favoured classes for people that want to play optimally.

> > > >

> > > > Bottomline is that you need to learn how to team as a Necro. yes, it's an extra step other classes don't frequently encounter; that's just the nature of the class. Once you figure it out (and its the same for ALL classes), you don't have these problems. IIRC, this isn't the first time you've been told what you need to do to either so honestly, if you aren't willing to take people's advice that know what they are doing and just complain the game doesn't cater to your exacting whim, that's your fault.

> > >

> > > again you make this about me and that is pathetic

> >

> > No, what's pathetic is that you think you should simply be able to join whatever team you want, irregardless of how the people in that team want to play. For some reason, you think play how you want ideal should only apply to you when it suits you and screw everyone else. How come I don't have the same problems you do? We play the same class, yet I can raid and you claim you can't. That **IS** a you problem. You see, some people have this figured out; you are part of the group that doesn't. Yes, Anet will make changes and meta will shift, but that's not going to change how people who play optimal teams think; they are still going to want to have optimal classes. Choose well.

> >

> > > @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952"

> > > "Play how you want" really means "Play according to the game's rules," not total anarchy.

> >

> > Sure, but we don't have total anarchy. There is a system in place and it allows players to play exactly how they want. If it wasn't according to the games rules, it wouldn't work like it does; it would be hard coded to team people through the game's rules, not the people's. Maybe it should have been, but then again, I wan't to play with my friends, not randomly selected players from a pool the game decides. Allowing players choice has and still is a major selling point of this game. I doubt that's going to change because some people can't figure out how to get teams with classes they want to play.

>

> Personally and this is my 2 cents: If a person who can really play their class and knows how to do the raid cannot get into a raid because the class is too situational that in most cases its not desired, its the class not the person who plays said class. It is one thing to say the person dies repeatedly and doesn't understand the raid, and its another to say they play optimally and still the class is too situational, and too limited with the tools that its more likely to be rejected over any other class which performs better on any raid.

So what would you suggest Anet do to fix that? Aside from making Necro #1 on the meta DPS list (which we have little reason to believe they balance against in the first place), it would be interesting to see what people think about that instead of making no-value threads like this one.

Here is my problem with this; the fix isn't just related to changing Necro; the concept of the class simply doesn't lend it to being popular for meta-raiding. If the OP continues to think that's not a 'him' problem, he's lowering his chances to get teams for raids. /shrug.