mesmer is weak but unfun to play against and that's how it was designed

incisorr.9502

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"break target " = unfun for the victim/enemy

stealth = unfun for the victim/enemy

blinking away or behind you or on elevations and terrain with a skill(class based) and not walking up to it (control/person based) = unfun for the victim/enemy

blind = unfun for the victim/enemy

confusion = unfun for the victim/enemy , especially if they have high apm and skill chaining and want to press a lot of buttons and play on high speed

hitting a target that doesn't take damage cause of distortion or just standing still and having projectiles and swords pass through it = unfun for the victim/enemy -triggering to watch even, it's almost as if they're laughing at you

it's literally a trickster/trigger mage which by concept is annoying and invokes hate but in terms of actual power in the current meta condi mirage is really good at punishing greedy builds (with no condi removal, like holomancers with 16k hp) or bad players who don't know what to expect but vs evenly matched or counter classes at high elo it's meh w/e

the only way people won't hate mesmer is if it doesn't exist

> @"incisorr.9502" said:

>but vs evenly matched or counter classes at high elo it's meh w/e

>

>

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, a Mirage in high rank that knows what he is doing is literally impossible to lose to anything(except maybe thief). A class that can carry the average player just by pressing a few buttons will make an experienced player godlike, that's why people are frustrated about mirage.

With all due respect, you must be really low rank (unless you can prove otherwise), because Mirage is weak only in low ranks where people can't or don't know how to use it properly, but I can reassure you that Mirage sees a lot of play and has hardly any counter.

The actual literal reality of the game and how well various classes perform with regards to win rations and usage statistcs should always be more important than babies' on the forum's fee fees.

The one thing mirage really needs right now is to remove mirage cloak while stunned and turn Elusive mind from a stunbreak into something like "Dodging removes conditions. Mirage cloak now allows you to strafe and move backwards at full speed."

That anyone is complaining about Mirage still with literally 4 boonbeasts running around each game and boonbeast hard countering mirage is baffling.

> @"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:

> > @"Xstein.2187" said:

> > No, balancing should not occur based on fun.

> > If thats the case than everyone for the next expansion will just rout for the most bland, dull elite specs in existence.

> > Will it be unfun to play against? No

> > Will it be fun to play? No

> > Will it be competitive since people will not be arguing for it to be nerfed due to its 'fun' factor? Yes

>

> Why would a class fun to play against automatically not be fun to play? You can have a class that is exciting to play and yet fun to play against at the same time. Fighting games do it all the time.

>

> I have a hard time understanding you, I think.

In every MMORPG I have ever played "Guy with bow and pet" is always both the more boring class to play and the most insufferable to play against. That never stops it being one of the most archetype in the role playing genre.

> @"Slapinator.4196" said:

> > @"incisorr.9502" said:

> >but vs evenly matched or counter classes at high elo it's meh w/e

> >

> >

>

> You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, a Mirage in high rank that knows what he is doing is literally impossible to lose to anything(except maybe thief). A class that can carry the average player just by pressing a few buttons will make an experienced player godlike, that's why people are frustrated about mirage.

> With all due respect, you must be really low rank (unless you can prove otherwise), because Mirage is weak only in low ranks where people can't or don't know how to use it properly, but I can reassure you that Mirage sees a lot of play and has hardly any counter.

>

Bronze-Silver player spotted.

> @"SPESHAL.9106" said:

> Mesmer has run off more new players to GW2 than any other profession by far. It doesn't matter what Anet's internal spreadsheets look like in terms of what's "balanced". There's something called common sense and, as we can see after every patch, they do very little internal testing.

>

> You can't have one profession with virtually everything...stealth, most AI, most CC, most scale-able defenses/immunities, lowest cooldowns, lowest cast times, most mobility, highest condi burst, highest power burst...not to mention...the ability to spec for AOE, boon rips, boons, or even support.

>

> Moa is still the most OP CC for a 2v2 scenario. It is the longest CC by far AND has NO counter.

>

> Portal is still the most OP utility for a group that NO OTHER PROFESSION can do. I'm not even talking about the times mesmer had the most OP bunker builds too.

>

> They can also stomp/rez without taking a bit of damage or being CC'd.

>

> No other profession was made so OP that they needed to do THREE separate patches midseason. Even with those patches, Mesmer STILL had other builds they could swap to and be OP. They were also one of the few professions to get a "re-work" since POF.

>

> Imagine any new player choosing a profession other than Mesmer and then facing all that. It immediately gives the impression that the game is whack.

It's not just that, it's the new player realizing that if they whant to "git gud" they're going to have to play the mesmer extensively which probably means indefinatiely.

Lots of people are turned off of mesmer because of its spam-happy micromanagement thats worse than engi and thieves combined. The devs have been trying o make it more "accessible" which means they make it easier to play, which means it becomes less difficult and more broken for people who already know how to use it.

The class has sucked so much dev attention which, for me, is enough to say there is a huge issue with it.

I think there is a middle ground that Anet could have explored to make the mesmer more accessible and less busted at the same time. People get turned off this game from seeing classes like engineer. There's too much micromanagement just for the sake of "fantasy". They want engi to be able to do everything so they need a button for _everything_. My brother who bought this game just to try out engineer stopped playing it not even after a few months because its such a tedious act.

There will always be a few players who will just dump all their time and effort into exploiting these high learning curve classes just to achieve that edge. Most players would rather just chill and have fun and also feel a sense of competition. Anet just rules that out with their tier of Professions (yeah i said tier). Mesmers are near the top because they are a fast-paced, twitchy, tedious, min-maxed, overloaded, wet dream of every trolly player ever to troll. It's just that extent, that bit of edge some players will end up selling their souls for just to feel dominant in a game.

Maybe tahts a bit much, but you get my meaning.

> @"incisorr.9502" said:

> I've been tuning into gw2 streams randomly and like all the popular streams are non-stop hating on mesmers and the argument they constantly make is that it's not fun to play against mesmer even if its killable because everyone on higher elo is aware that mesmer is very killable and how to do so so they retreat to the argument "It's not fun "

>

> like kitten? The entire concept of disappearing, confusing your enemy and illusions and teleports to confuse them even more is not meant to be fun its meant to be trickery. It's the same with thief, saying that mesmer isn't fun shouldn't just stop at mesmer but also at thief or revenant or any class that ganks you. The whole game was not designed around "being fun" in the first place 5v5 with caps means you're gonna get zerged all the time and you won't have fun while getting zerged. There are all sorts of scummy builds because it's a build based game and it allows for cheese and there are no fixed classes. The whole "concept" and idea of trick magic is to make you frustrated in the first place

>

> also mirage being "unfun " is nothing new? i had 300 threads raging about thief and mesmer in the past expansions and most of them (if not all) were deleted and i ended up receiving unjustified warnings for them for trying to explain this very concept of getting ganked and stealth and what not being unfun but now when people are dying cus they're too greedy to put condi removal in their build they start bringing up the point. Like, mesmer barely even been "okay" in duels because before that it was a ganker and roamer class and not a duel class and now that the role has shifted somewhat people are whining?

>

> ranger 1v2ing you with pet isnt fun either, especially with beastmastery traits where the pet ends up soloing people that ignore it

>

> guard's retaliation isnt a fun concept either

>

> neither is scourge's condition spam or reaper's 2 lives + chill procs and unreasonably high damage

>

> LOSING PVP ISN'T FUN LOL

>

> mirage isn't top tier since elusive mind and vigor nerfs which are by now months old, the fact that it's so incredibly underplayed in the top ranks goes to show for it. Portal is good in team environment but the meta has evolved in such a way that portal isn't even that good any more, wasn't last monthly winner a team without a mesmer anyway? yeah

>

> if you want a fun and 'honorable' and fair game you need fixed classes without builds with minor player adjustment at most, that way they can balance it easier and that way you can see whos a good player and not carried by a build

Okay, I'm stick and tired of reading your ignorant attempts at making Mirage look bad.

You run some glassy amulet with scepter, try running the meta build with axe staff if you consider your joke of a build to be bad.

Last months mAT winner did indeed not have a mesmer in it. However, the previous 14(?) Teams did, no idea what NA looks like. The sage mirage build with chaos dueling is by no means easy to kill, I'll link you some VoDs of it holding 1v2 against top of the line players if you want me to.

This is a game and it's supposed to be fun. At the end of the day, fun is subjective and can't really be measured. That being said, the community seems to have a pretty unanimous opinion that mirage (even Chrono) and deadeye are the biggest offenders of this.

> @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> Last months mAT winner did indeed not have a mesmer in it. However, the previous 14(?) Teams did, no idea what NA looks like. The sage mirage build with chaos dueling is by no means easy to kill, I'll link you some VoDs of it holding 1v2 against top of the line players if you want me to.

Well, chaos duelling with staff I can at least imagine. But SAGE amu on Mirage? Like... THY FUCK?!

What do they need healing stat for? To boost regeneration, lol?

Please do post link!!!

I'm rather intrigued, but, on the other hand, I have a feeling, that you don't understand jack shit about how mesmer works.

>the community seems to have a pretty unanimous opinion that mirage **(even Chrono)**

Even what again? What's next for this thread? _"Ele 2stronk, plz nerf"?_

> @"Solori.6025" said:

>

> >

> > the only way people won't hate mesmer is if it doesn't exist

> >

> >

>

> This ^

> This is what people that constantly cry about mesmer have wanted since launch.

> Mesmer gets nerfs 3 patches in a row

>

> " Look at the devs favorite class"

>

Well, they still haven't been nerfed enough, so devs need to go for 4 or 5 nerfs in a row, and be realistic this time.

> @"Tiah.3091" said:

> > @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

>

> > Last months mAT winner did indeed not have a mesmer in it. However, the previous 14(?) Teams did, no idea what NA looks like. The sage mirage build with chaos dueling is by no means easy to kill, I'll link you some VoDs of it holding 1v2 against top of the line players if you want me to.

>

> Well, chaos duelling with staff I can at least imagine. But SAGE amu on Mirage? Like... THY kitten?!

> What do they need healing stat for? To boost regeneration, lol?

>

> Please do post link!!!

> I'm rather intrigued, but, on the other hand, I have a feeling, that you don't understand jack kitten about how mesmer works.

>

> >the community seems to have a pretty unanimous opinion that mirage **(even Chrono)**

>

> Even what again? What's next for this thread? _"Ele 2stronk, plz nerf"?_

>

>

Did you see these Evasion Rune Weavers?

COMPLETELY BUSTED!!!!

Ofc we cant nerf the Rune.

So we need to nerf Base Ele.

Way to strong!!!!!

> @"BlackBeard.2873" said:

> Finally someone who gets it! Mesmers are not to supposed to be fun for their opponents, only for the player using. And they are totally underpowered too with a kit that doesn't feature enough impacting skills.

>

> I propose the following:

> * Since one of the best ways that mesmers destroy others fun is by making it a fight vs. the UI and through lack of visibility, the following changes should be made:

> - All of your opponents skills should be randomly shuffled around on their toolbar every time you shatter. This really fits with the theme of confusing your opponent and should further destroy any enjoyment of the game. If this doesn't work, then we could have each shatter randomly replace a utility skill with one that isn't selected! Making a player feel helpless is the best way to improve the mesmer's enjoyment of the game.

> - Clones should persist for longer after shattering, and should turn the opponents whole screen pure-white, or randomly blocking off different portions of the viewing field any time they get hit with a shatter. Fighting vs. something that completely destroys all visibility as it currently does removes fun quite effectively. Even moreso with the visual bugs that cause the shattered sprite to persist. Instead of being stationary, the sprite should continue to just run in circles. This will further improve mesmer's ability to ruin visiblity. If that isn't sufficient, they should also leave pink trails behind them that persist for 30s. Perhaps we should also increase the number of clones (see below)?

>

> * Mesmers need the ability to apply more pressure from out of nowhere, and the ability to just continually apply burst-pressure (as opposed to waiting long times between bursts like a terrible designer would do). They also only have 5-6 get out of jail free options for when the fit does hit the shan...that leaves them vulnerable for a few seconds while they aren't bursting and they sometimes don't disengage properly to get their CD's back.

> - As such, I think that all mesmer skills should instantly recharge by 5s every time a shatter is used.

> - Clones are too hard to generate since they revamped them. Sometimes you need to purposely use a clone skill to get access to one. As such, every 2s another clone should pop up and use whatever skill the mesmer just did. These guys are MASTERS of manipulation, not mere pedestrians. Further, every skill that produces a clone should instead produce 3 so that there can be a full shatter. Perhaps the clone limit should be increased to 6....maybe 9? It should probably be 9 to further help with destroying any visibility and sense of power that other players have.

> - About the lack of defense. I think every shatter skill should now apply 3s of mirage cloak on use. Also, dodges should give mirage cloak that lasts 2s. I mean, only being 33% better than a normal dodge in duration isn't enough. It should be at least 166% better.

>

> I think Anet should stop trying to pretend like mesmer's are not favored. Let's go whole-hog and take away ALL the fun of everyone else so only the favored class remains. That is the best coarse of action, and I demand these changes be made immediately.

>

you forgot one to make the poor mesmers competitive:

- every time you kill the mess their swap with a clone that shaters healing the mess and damaging the oponent

wuth your list and this final touch mesmer could be some day competitive in hands of one of the few top ten players

> @"Tiah.3091" said:

> > @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

>

> > Last months mAT winner did indeed not have a mesmer in it. However, the previous 14(?) Teams did, no idea what NA looks like. The sage mirage build with chaos dueling is by no means easy to kill, I'll link you some VoDs of it holding 1v2 against top of the line players if you want me to.

>

> Well, chaos duelling with staff I can at least imagine. But SAGE amu on Mirage? Like... THY kitten?!

> What do they need healing stat for? To boost regeneration, lol?

>

> Please do post link!!!

> I'm rather intrigued, but, on the other hand, I have a feeling, that you don't understand jack kitten about how mesmer works.

>

> >the community seems to have a pretty unanimous opinion that mirage **(even Chrono)**

>

> Even what again? What's next for this thread? _"Ele 2stronk, plz nerf"?_

>

>

I believe they justify sage by saying it increases the healing on false oasis and obviously a little extra on the regen.

You get about 1400 extra from false oasis and 70 healing more per second from regen which is permanent so long as no-one removes it. It does add up I guess.

Over the 25s CD of the heal it adds an extra 3.5k healing, I can understand why people use it with chaos but I wouldn't recommend it outside of chaos/inspiration lines.

> @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> > I've been tuning into gw2 streams randomly and like all the popular streams are non-stop hating on mesmers and the argument they constantly make is that it's not fun to play against mesmer even if its killable because everyone on higher elo is aware that mesmer is very killable and how to do so so they retreat to the argument "It's not fun "

> >

> > like kitten? The entire concept of disappearing, confusing your enemy and illusions and teleports to confuse them even more is not meant to be fun its meant to be trickery. It's the same with thief, saying that mesmer isn't fun shouldn't just stop at mesmer but also at thief or revenant or any class that ganks you. The whole game was not designed around "being fun" in the first place 5v5 with caps means you're gonna get zerged all the time and you won't have fun while getting zerged. There are all sorts of scummy builds because it's a build based game and it allows for cheese and there are no fixed classes. The whole "concept" and idea of trick magic is to make you frustrated in the first place

> >

> > also mirage being "unfun " is nothing new? i had 300 threads raging about thief and mesmer in the past expansions and most of them (if not all) were deleted and i ended up receiving unjustified warnings for them for trying to explain this very concept of getting ganked and stealth and what not being unfun but now when people are dying cus they're too greedy to put condi removal in their build they start bringing up the point. Like, mesmer barely even been "okay" in duels because before that it was a ganker and roamer class and not a duel class and now that the role has shifted somewhat people are whining?

> >

> > ranger 1v2ing you with pet isnt fun either, especially with beastmastery traits where the pet ends up soloing people that ignore it

> >

> > guard's retaliation isnt a fun concept either

> >

> > neither is scourge's condition spam or reaper's 2 lives + chill procs and unreasonably high damage

> >

> > LOSING PVP ISN'T FUN LOL

> >

> > mirage isn't top tier since elusive mind and vigor nerfs which are by now months old, the fact that it's so incredibly underplayed in the top ranks goes to show for it. Portal is good in team environment but the meta has evolved in such a way that portal isn't even that good any more, wasn't last monthly winner a team without a mesmer anyway? yeah

> >

> > if you want a fun and 'honorable' and fair game you need fixed classes without builds with minor player adjustment at most, that way they can balance it easier and that way you can see whos a good player and not carried by a build

>

> Okay, I'm stick and tired of reading your ignorant attempts at making Mirage look bad.

> You run some glassy amulet with scepter, try running the meta build with axe staff if you consider your joke of a build to be bad.

>

> Last months mAT winner did indeed not have a mesmer in it. However, the previous 14(?) Teams did, no idea what NA looks like. The sage mirage build with chaos dueling is by no means easy to kill, I'll link you some VoDs of it holding 1v2 against top of the line players if you want me to.

>

> This is a game and it's supposed to be fun. At the end of the day, fun is subjective and can't really be measured. That being said, the community seems to have a pretty unanimous opinion that mirage (even Chrono) and deadeye are the biggest offenders of this.

>

>

mesmer didn't make it to the winner's team since the vigor nerfs, so that mesmer won before is not really relevant for its current state.

mes' roaming build is very crippled now, outperformed by rev by miles in +1 situations (long time now actually) and too low sustain for dueling.

i agree that chaos build is great and in my opinion better than illusion build, but it doesn't really have burst damage which is a common complain and is countered by anyone taking enough condi clear (which some have by default).

all in all mes is in a good spot but it's simply outperformed by others in any role it wants to take

> @"incisorr.9502" said:

> ranger 1v2ing you with pet isnt fun either, especially with beastmastery traits where the pet ends up soloing people that ignore it

You have more mobility than any pet.

> guard's retaliation isnt a fun concept either

You can strip it.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Boon#Skills_that_remove_boons

(Just in case you don't know: the pink butterfly icon marks mesmer skills.)

> neither is scourge's condition spam or reaper's 2 lives + chill procs and unreasonably high damage

So is reaper a suicide spec because his second life is draining by itself after you disengaged easily?

Scourge can't even AOE your clones reliably... it's probably the easiest encounter you can have. I mean: What are you talking about?

Just another low level mirage player post trying to justify a broken spec.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > ranger 1v2ing you with pet isnt fun either, especially with beastmastery traits where the pet ends up soloing people that ignore it

> You have more mobility than any pet.

> > guard's retaliation isnt a fun concept either

> You can strip it.

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Boon#Skills_that_remove_boons

> (Just in case you don't know: the pink butterfly icon marks mesmer skills.)

>

> > neither is scourge's condition spam or reaper's 2 lives + chill procs and unreasonably high damage

> So is reaper a suicide spec because his second life is draining by itself after you disengaged easily?

>

> Scourge can't even AOE your clones reliably... it's probably the easiest encounter you can have. I mean: What are you talking about?

>

> Just another low level mirage player post trying to justify a broken spec.

your arguments are that you can counter random things?

yea ok, you can also kill a mesmer too

wtf is your point? it's not like they're omnipotent

what sort of joke gold elo reasoning is this is beyond me. Scourge can't aoe my clones but reaper can and so can his teammates and scourge doesn't even need to aoe my clones anyway cus a) scourge is a garbage class and b) it's not like scourge is gonna win over time so he either gets a good condi application on you and wins either doens't and loses

lets go on your joke logic some more

you can kill mesmer with any class in the game

you can't boon strip with any class in the game, most classes don't have enough boon strip and sigil doesnt count cus that won't take retaliation out

pet mobility doesnt have to be big cus pet is always zerging and also lol at thinking pet (especially with beastmastery) has no mobility, especially a bird. Just a joke non-pvper who got killed by the free-est spec in the game (mirage). Condi mirages are freelo for me

too bad classes like thief and revenant and core guard exist and they can 2v1 you offpoint while zerging nonstop and make you lose the game and its 3000 times more unfun than fighting an illusion or a phantasm or a break target because getting 2v1d with a guy teleporting on you with a 75-100% of your hp burst that has no counterplay is way more "UNFUN" and imbalanced

> @"Solori.6025" said:

>

> >

> > the only way people won't hate mesmer is if it doesn't exist

> >

> >

>

> This ^

> This is what people that constantly cry about mesmer have wanted since launch.

> Mesmer gets nerfs 3 patches in a row

>

> " Look at the devs favorite class"

>

Not disagreeing with you on this but I just want to point out that when warriors outside of spellbreaker had four second endure pain procs, the forum had a number of power mesmers who were specifically using this label on them.

Just noting that the wheel turns, on that point alone.