Roller Beetle Racing is freaking awesome!

Zagerus.8675

Just wanted to post a deep thanks for adding Roller Beetle racing to the game! It's truly one of the best racing experiences I've gotten from a video game - in GW2, what?! The physics are there, the learning curve and gradual progression that you expect from spending time trying to master a track is there. And it's just plain fun. The only request that I have is to do away with the "play" button to start the races. A starting line (or circle) with a 3..2..1 countdown at the start of races would just seal the deal on this being one of the best things that Anet has ever released for the game.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also needs a "reset" option on the time trial mode like the griffon adventures have. If I'm trying to get the gold chest and crash into a wall halfway around the course, currently I have to either pointlessly ride out the last minute of the course or F12 out to the character screen and waypoint back. Wouldn't eliminate the frustration but it would help.

> @"Sirius.4510" said:

> It also needs a "reset" option on the time trial mode like the griffon adventures have. If I'm trying to get the gold chest and crash into a wall halfway around the course, currently I have to either pointlessly ride out the last minute of the course or F12 out to the character screen and waypoint back. Wouldn't eliminate the frustration but it would help.

There is one. Click the x in the top right where the timer is and it'll take you back.

Agreed with everyone, we should have a section to suggest roller beetle tracks, the only limit is your creativity, and maybe obstacles on your path x)

Little suggestion: Add an option for visuals, "Hide everyone" I have enough of lagging and not seeing where I'm going just because everyone is enjoying the same thing at the same time! Can finish Jormag's fang, need 20 more seconds for silver, impossible to have more than bronze with lags.

I hope this isn't a one month and done thing. I want a lot of medallions for the guild hall race tracks, although I'm a tad disappointed. I was expecting long sweeping tracks across the entire map on them all, and not tight drifts on corners not really set up for them.

Still better than the Halloween disaster though and reasonably good fun

> @"Sirius.4510" said:

> It also needs a "reset" option on the time trial mode like the griffon adventures have. If I'm trying to get the gold chest and crash into a wall halfway around the course, currently I have to either pointlessly ride out the last minute of the course or F12 out to the character screen and waypoint back. Wouldn't eliminate the frustration but it would help.

There is a reset button.

Click on the x button on the "roller racing racing time trial" in the UI on the right hand side of your screen and close it. It'll pop up the reset window for you

> @"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:

> Yeah it is pretty fun once you get a handle on properly drifting. But now I want Mario Kart beetle courses where we can attack other players during the race.

This is something that NEEDS to be added to the Super Adventure Box content. Some sort of coin battle arena like in mario cart would just be freaking awesome.

Pretty disappointed with this half-hearted implementation. They should have done it right or not at all. Puting the races in OW maps instead of making it a proper game mode with proper race tracks just emphasises the things many people didn't like about the halloween track. A-Net really is the king of wasted potential.

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> Races are all fine except Brsiban one. Brisban race is hell!

I agree Brisban doesn't seem to have been a s well balanced for the medals, although I;d argue Snodwen is the worst. A whole map and they chose to ignore 90% of it for some silly, tight turns which don't work on a roller race.

Gendarren and Diessa were outstanding and I enjoyed most of Maelstrom too (except some turns after the lava pool seem to have snagging issues unsuited to a racetrack)

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > Races are all fine except Brsiban one. Brisban race is hell!

>

> I agree Brisban doesn't seem to have been a s well balanced for the medals, although I;d argue Snodwen is the worst. A whole map and they chose to ignore 90% of it for some silly, tight turns which don't work on a roller race.

>

> Gendarren and Diessa were outstanding and I enjoyed most of Maelstrom too (except some turns after the lava pool seem to have snagging issues unsuited to a racetrack)

I agree with Randulf on this, Brisbans not to bad, Snowden is..terribly small and the turns are so tight that if your drift action doesnt engage properly you are done unlike the rest of them where you can make one or two mistakes and still get gold. Overall though, well done!

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> Pretty disappointed with this half-hearted implementation. They should have done it right or not at all. Puting the races in OW maps instead of making it a proper game mode with proper race tracks just emphasises the things many people didn't like about the halloween track. A-Net really is the king of wasted potential.

From a business perspective, this was added to see if it generated enough interest to actually do a full implementation into the core game or relegate to an event for a festival. Because of how black and white people were with the Halloween track (hate it/love it), this is their second attempt on seeing what people wanted in terms of a track (which track gets played the most, which one gets the most complaints, etc). So instead of being a Negative Nancy, be glad they are giving it another poke and not doing a Blizzard 'fun was detected, fun nerfed' approach and we never see this attempted again outside of the festivals.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > Races are all fine except Brsiban one. Brisban race is hell!

>

> I agree Brisban doesn't seem to have been a s well balanced for the medals, although I;d argue Snodwen is the worst. A whole map and they chose to ignore 90% of it for some silly, tight turns which don't work on a roller race.

>

> Gendarren and Diessa were outstanding and I enjoyed most of Maelstrom too (except some turns after the lava pool seem to have snagging issues unsuited to a racetrack)

Brisban is worse that Snowden imho, having a strict timer on a 32 sec race is a thing, having a strict timer on a 2 min 35 sec race is another -.-

The longer the race, the more forgiving the timer should be imho, which is not true enough in Brisban's case, but I'll have to deal with it and hope to get it in the next days, it's the last one I miss.

Like the races a lot but I have three suggestions for adventure mode: instead of the long countdown clock, could we have a large clock at the top of the screen counting up? And it would be even better if you could also provide two or three "checkpoints" during each lap so that it is easier to improve (as you can see where you lose ore gain time on each lap). Finally, after finishing the lap at the moment you get no feedback as to how fast you were unless you did beat your previous fastest time. Could we get that feedback for each lap as well? (I hope all of this isn't an oversight on my part and that stuff has already been provided but I didn't notice).

Yeah, Brisbane is too unforgiving for it's lenght. Snowden is doable since it's a very short course(maybe 2 secs more so everyone has a chance to get it). The other ones are pretty easy, you even don't have to drift to get gold.

The only thing I get annoyed of is the "replayability" by introducing a vendor which requires tons of medals for rewards... maybe there was a better way to make players play this event without making it a chore...

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > Races are all fine except Brsiban one. Brisban race is hell!

> >

> > I agree Brisban doesn't seem to have been a s well balanced for the medals, although I;d argue Snodwen is the worst. A whole map and they chose to ignore 90% of it for some silly, tight turns which don't work on a roller race.

> >

> > Gendarren and Diessa were outstanding and I enjoyed most of Maelstrom too (except some turns after the lava pool seem to have snagging issues unsuited to a racetrack)

>

> Brisban is worse that Snowden imho, having a strict timer on a 32 sec race is a thing, having a strict timer on a 2 min 35 sec race is another -.-

> The longer the race, the more forgiving the timer should be imho, which is not true enough in Brisban's case, but I'll have to deal with it and hope to get it in the next days, it's the last one I miss.

I agree the timer is more of an issue on brisban than snowden

The real issue for me is lags, I can beat whatever record or timer you want if I'm alone doing the race, I think about all the poor players like me, which are at 4 fps during the race, don't seeing what they do, breaking out the turn which make you fail the trial just because 30 other players are trying to finish it in same time. Plz, for any race challenge, make the trial INSTANCED, for the race I don't care, the more we are the funnier it is, but for achievs it's hell. I clearly have no idea if the FPS fall is due to the number of players or another thing, but it only happens near adventure flags.

BTW, for adventures flags concerning race, I've enough of pressing F to participate and seeing my toon speaking to the NPC, thing that dismount me. When mounted on beetle AND on the flag, the race should start instantly without showing times for rewards. I lose an important time to close the windows, mount on my beetle, return on flag, oopsie interacted with npc, so have to remount.....

To end on a positive note, I love the tracks especially mount maelstrom.