NECRO BALANCE NOTES

Lahmia.2193

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> For anyone who didn't notice:

> The Soul Barbs symbol is the perfect indicator for opponents to see the status of our shroud cooldown as it lasts exactly 10 seconds after leaving shroud. Great update for easy reaper ganking. Thank you ANet!

>

> Gandmaster traits:

> - Blighter's Boon: underpowered and clunky shroud

> - Deathly Chill: useless

> - Onslaught: zero sustain

>

> I am done with this game for now. 6 years of endless balancing frustration is more than enough. At least my girlfriend is pretty happy - more time for us.

>

> /end of story

I agree. Do we have to announce +10% damage now, for fairness?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> For anyone who didn't notice:

> The Soul Barbs symbol is the perfect indicator for opponents to see the status of our shroud cooldown as it lasts exactly 10 seconds after leaving shroud. Great update for easy reaper ganking. Thank you ANet!

>

> Gandmaster traits:

> - Blighter's Boon: underpowered and clunky shroud

> - Deathly Chill: useless

> - Onslaught: zero sustain

>

> I am done with this game for now. 6 years of endless balancing frustration is more than enough. At least my girlfriend is pretty happy - more time for us.

>

> /end of story

I feel your pain mate. I've worked through the stages of grief a while back and all I'm left with is apathy. Perhaps that could be a skill update - Apathy: "fill in you best ideas" to top off a great wintersday balance patch ...ho..ho...........ho.

Ps my rl quality time with fams gone up as well, good thing - indirect way anet gets us back to the good stuff.

> @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> Here are a few generalizations on the patch:

>

> 1. Auto proc crit's were punished across all professions and given a small compensation for PvE. Because Necro had to do everything in a glass build to begin with, it hurt. I expect some fine tuning to both PvE and PvP/WvW damage in future patches so do not lose hope.

> 2. The attention to Spectral skills was strange, as was the attention to Soul Reaping. To me, it suggests there were issues with them, or another trait line, perhaps a future one.

> 3. Death Magic got a little love. Reaper's Protection was a wasted slot and Death Nova is back to being a legitimate MM gimmick from being nerfed to obscurity. However, there is more to do and I hope DM will get its own rework, soon.

> 4. There is enough change in all professions to warrant Arenanet keeping the new status quo for a while and see how the balance works out but they do, also, push a hot-fix when something is obviously not working as expected. Keep pointing out what you think are serious issues.

From the past, they only do something, if it's clearly bugged (well, dread was bugged for a long time now), or if it's way overperforming. Never saw a utter trash trait get a hot fix.

> 5. The change, or shift back to, specific professions being able to share only certain types of boons shows Arenanet is trying to return some individuality to profession functions and force some diversity and team reliance. I hope that trend continues.

> 6. Deleting Spectral Mastery without making at least its ICD reduction and duration increase baseline feels bad. I think they set Spectral skills up for deletion from the game. Spectral Mastery gave a significant (40%?) up-time increase. The ICD reductions on Walk, Wall, and Lich still result in a hard nerf. Armor's nerf was doubly hard.

> @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> Spectral Ring change is deceptively powerful. It'll strip more stacks of Stability and be a better keep-away skill. Actually locking someone inside the ring is a waste of time, but sitting inside the ring yourself is possibly not horrible.

>

> Last Gasp is a painful loss, but a necessary one. I always thought this trait was way overbudget as a Master Minor.

>

> Dark Defiance seems like a very, very good effect. It is a big shame that Soul Comprehension was not touched, though.

>

> Fear of Death seems like a sleeper hit for Terror builds.

>

> Removing the chance to critically strike for Spiteful Spirit and Weakening Shroud seems very painful. I have not read the entire list of notes, though, and I think that these passive damage sources being unable to crit may be a gamewide change.

I tried the spectral ring with the 100% fear duration trait meaning my fear lasted 2 seconds.

I dropped the spectral ring on top of an opponent and when he ran into the wall, he was feared away from me to the opposite side of the ring.

But instead of rebounding back toward the middle of the ring when he touched the opposite side, he continued to be feared **away** from me, i.e. he wasn't trapped in the ring at all but instead continued getting feared out of the ring.

Also at normal movement speed, it seems like the ring is sized so that an opponent that touches one side of the ring takes about 1.5 seconds to get feared to the other side of the ring and trigger the next round of fear.

I find it dumb that he was feared out of the ring instead of back into the ring though when he hit the opposite side of the ring =/

> @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> > Spectral Ring change is deceptively powerful. It'll strip more stacks of Stability and be a better keep-away skill. Actually locking someone inside the ring is a waste of time, but sitting inside the ring yourself is possibly not horrible.

> >

> > Last Gasp is a painful loss, but a necessary one. I always thought this trait was way overbudget as a Master Minor.

> >

> > Dark Defiance seems like a very, very good effect. It is a big shame that Soul Comprehension was not touched, though.

> >

> > Fear of Death seems like a sleeper hit for Terror builds.

> >

> > Removing the chance to critically strike for Spiteful Spirit and Weakening Shroud seems very painful. I have not read the entire list of notes, though, and I think that these passive damage sources being unable to crit may be a gamewide change.

>

> I tried the spectral ring with the 100% fear duration trait meaning my fear lasted 2 seconds.

> I dropped the spectral ring on top of an opponent and when he ran into the wall, he was feared away from me to the opposite side of the ring.

> But instead of rebounding back toward the middle of the ring when he touched the opposite side, he continued to be feared **away** from me, i.e. he wasn't trapped in the ring at all but instead continued getting feared out of the ring.

> Also at normal movement speed, it seems like the ring is sized so that an opponent that touches one side of the ring takes about 1.5 seconds to get feared to the other side of the ring and trigger the next round of fear.

>

> I find it dumb that he was feared out of the ring instead of back into the ring though when he hit the opposite side of the ring =/

If you move to the other side, your enemy should get feared back to the ring. Fear always push enemies away from the necromancer.

> > @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> > Spectral Ring change is deceptively powerful. It'll strip more stacks of Stability and be a better keep-away skill. Actually locking someone inside the ring is a waste of time, but sitting inside the ring yourself is possibly not horrible.

> >

> > Last Gasp is a painful loss, but a necessary one. I always thought this trait was way overbudget as a Master Minor.

> >

> > Dark Defiance seems like a very, very good effect. It is a big shame that Soul Comprehension was not touched, though.

> >

> >

> > Removing the chance to critically strike for Spiteful Spirit and Weakening Shroud seems very painful. I have not read the entire list of notes, though, and I think that these passive damage sources being unable to crit may be a gamewide change.

>

> I tried the spectral ring with the 100% fear duration trait meaning my fear lasted 2 seconds.

> I dropped the spectral ring on top of an opponent and when he ran into the wall, he was feared away from me to the opposite side of the ring.

> But instead of rebounding back toward the middle of the ring when he touched the opposite side, he continued to be feared **away** from me, i.e. he wasn't trapped in the ring at all but instead continued getting feared out of the ring.

> Also at normal movement speed, it seems like the ring is sized so that an opponent that touches one side of the ring takes about 1.5 seconds to get feared to the other side of the ring and trigger the next round of fear.

>

> I find it dumb that he was feared out of the ring instead of back into the ring though when he hit the opposite side of the ring =/

Thats just how fear works. Im guessing the ring is meant to be used defensively, where the necro stands inside the ring. Why they added an icd is beyond me. A similar skill, sanctuary on guardian, does trap people and it doesnt have an icd. I assume anet thinks being able to chain fears is op, but with all the stab, break stuns, resistance, and cleanses, the icd makes this skill laughable. You could trigger it once, break stun, then just completely ignore the ring as you walk through it.

> @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> Spectral Ring change is deceptively powerful. It'll strip more stacks of Stability and be a better keep-away skill. Actually locking someone inside the ring is a waste of time, but sitting inside the ring yourself is possibly not horrible.

>

> Last Gasp is a painful loss, but a necessary one. I always thought this trait was way overbudget as a Master Minor.

>

> Dark Defiance seems like a very, very good effect. It is a big shame that Soul Comprehension was not touched, though.

>

> Fear of Death seems like a sleeper hit for Terror builds.

>

> Removing the chance to critically strike for Spiteful Spirit and Weakening Shroud seems very painful. I have not read the entire list of notes, though, and I think that these passive damage sources being unable to crit may be a gamewide change.

who cares about the spectral ring and making those traits noncrit was stupid they don't crit very high at all excluding the chilling nova and chill of death

> > @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

That's how fear works: it fears opponents away from you.

If you can manage to switch side, everytime the opponent reaches the other side of the ring, you might be able to trap them, which isn't possible, because we all know, necro mobility sux.

Maybe with scourges teleport though. But I guess opponent has to have cripple or chill to move slower.

> @"Zex Anthon.8673" said:

> > @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > > @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> > > Spectral Ring change is deceptively powerful. It'll strip more stacks of Stability and be a better keep-away skill. Actually locking someone inside the ring is a waste of time, but sitting inside the ring yourself is possibly not horrible.

> > >

> > > Last Gasp is a painful loss, but a necessary one. I always thought this trait was way overbudget as a Master Minor.

> > >

> > > Dark Defiance seems like a very, very good effect. It is a big shame that Soul Comprehension was not touched, though.

> > >

> > > Fear of Death seems like a sleeper hit for Terror builds.

> > >

> > > Removing the chance to critically strike for Spiteful Spirit and Weakening Shroud seems very painful. I have not read the entire list of notes, though, and I think that these passive damage sources being unable to crit may be a gamewide change.

> >

> > I tried the spectral ring with the 100% fear duration trait meaning my fear lasted 2 seconds.

> > I dropped the spectral ring on top of an opponent and when he ran into the wall, he was feared away from me to the opposite side of the ring.

> > But instead of rebounding back toward the middle of the ring when he touched the opposite side, he continued to be feared **away** from me, i.e. he wasn't trapped in the ring at all but instead continued getting feared out of the ring.

> > Also at normal movement speed, it seems like the ring is sized so that an opponent that touches one side of the ring takes about 1.5 seconds to get feared to the other side of the ring and trigger the next round of fear.

> >

> > I find it dumb that he was feared out of the ring instead of back into the ring though when he hit the opposite side of the ring =/

>

> Thats just how fear works. Im guessing the ring is meant to be used defensively, where the necro stands inside the ring. Why they added an icd is beyond me. A similar skill, sanctuary on guardian, does trap people and it doesnt have an icd. I assume anet thinks being able to chain fears is op, but with all the stab, break stuns, resistance, and cleanses, the icd makes this skill laughable. You could trigger it once, break stun, then just completely ignore the ring as you walk through it.

It's also pretty dumb. If that's how the ring is supposed to be used, then it's another sitting duck utility, that will almost never ever see any play

> @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > @"Zex Anthon.8673" said:

> > > @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > > > @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> > > > Spectral Ring change is deceptively powerful. It'll strip more stacks of Stability and be a better keep-away skill. Actually locking someone inside the ring is a waste of time, but sitting inside the ring yourself is possibly not horrible.

> > > >

> > > > Last Gasp is a painful loss, but a necessary one. I always thought this trait was way overbudget as a Master Minor.

> > > >

> > > > Dark Defiance seems like a very, very good effect. It is a big shame that Soul Comprehension was not touched, though.

> > > >

> > > > Fear of Death seems like a sleeper hit for Terror builds.

> > > >

> > > > Removing the chance to critically strike for Spiteful Spirit and Weakening Shroud seems very painful. I have not read the entire list of notes, though, and I think that these passive damage sources being unable to crit may be a gamewide change.

> > >

> > > I tried the spectral ring with the 100% fear duration trait meaning my fear lasted 2 seconds.

> > > I dropped the spectral ring on top of an opponent and when he ran into the wall, he was feared away from me to the opposite side of the ring.

> > > But instead of rebounding back toward the middle of the ring when he touched the opposite side, he continued to be feared **away** from me, i.e. he wasn't trapped in the ring at all but instead continued getting feared out of the ring.

> > > Also at normal movement speed, it seems like the ring is sized so that an opponent that touches one side of the ring takes about 1.5 seconds to get feared to the other side of the ring and trigger the next round of fear.

> > >

> > > I find it dumb that he was feared out of the ring instead of back into the ring though when he hit the opposite side of the ring =/

> >

> > Thats just how fear works. Im guessing the ring is meant to be used defensively, where the necro stands inside the ring. Why they added an icd is beyond me. A similar skill, sanctuary on guardian, does trap people and it doesnt have an icd. I assume anet thinks being able to chain fears is op, but with all the stab, break stuns, resistance, and cleanses, the icd makes this skill laughable. You could trigger it once, break stun, then just completely ignore the ring as you walk through it.

>

> It's also pretty dumb. If that's how the ring is supposed to be used, then it's another sitting duck utility, that will almost never ever see any play

If that was the real intent for the skill then it really should block projectiles as well. Once again sanctuary provides projectile blocking on top of everything else.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> It's interesting to note that Woodenpotatoes qualified this patch as an "insane amount of powercreep for the necromancer". Well that was patchnote critics on the spurt of the moment, maybe he might think differently now.

It was funny to see how he thinks the changes to spectral walk are power creep.

> @"Morde.3158" said:

> > @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> who cares about the spectral ring and making those traits noncrit was stupid they don't crit very high at all excluding the chilling nova and chill of death

I'm saddened that they didn't just revamp the skill completely. Either that or make it so Fear (and Taunt) are no longer conditions, so they can only be countered by stability and stun breaks.

> @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> > @"Morde.3158" said:

> > > @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> > > Spectral Ring change is deceptively powerful. It'll strip more stacks of Stability and be a better keep-away skill. Actually locking someone inside the ring is a waste of time, but sitting inside the ring yourself is possibly not horrible.

> > >

> > > Last Gasp is a painful loss, but a necessary one. I always thought this trait was way overbudget as a Master Minor.

> > >

> > > Dark Defiance seems like a very, very good effect. It is a big shame that Soul Comprehension was not touched, though.

> > >

> > > Fear of Death seems like a sleeper hit for Terror builds.

> > >

> > > Removing the chance to critically strike for Spiteful Spirit and Weakening Shroud seems very painful. I have not read the entire list of notes, though, and I think that these passive damage sources being unable to crit may be a gamewide change.

> >

> > who cares about the spectral ring and making those traits noncrit was stupid they don't crit very high at all excluding the chilling nova and chill of death

>

> I'm saddened that they didn't just revamp the skill completely. Either that or make it so Fear (and Taunt) are no longer conditions, so they can only be countered by stability and stun breaks.

To be honest this needs to happen.

On another note Just as taunt locks you to another target, fear should cause you to break target and be unable to target for the duration.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> It's interesting to note that Woodenpotatoes qualified this patch as an "insane amount of powercreep for the necromancer". Well that was patchnote critics on the spurt of the moment, maybe he might think differently now.

Yeah i dont think it was power creep at all. He was looking at mostly life force gain on fear application and pve minion master when he called those things out.

He also called out how "Some changes seemed shady" and seemed what pretty much his professional way of saying lowkey nerfed. He also failed to realize how some traits shifted from one spot to another with the name changes. I could be wrong but he is not a big necromancer player if i recall. So to him what sounds like powercreep may not be how other necro players see it.

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > It's interesting to note that Woodenpotatoes qualified this patch as an "insane amount of powercreep for the necromancer". Well that was patchnote critics on the spurt of the moment, maybe he might think differently now.

>

> It was funny to see how he thinks the changes to spectral walk are power creep.

It is power creep in its purest form.

Is it "OP" or "too big" buff ?

IMO - no.

Yes, it was a staple skill since launch. But like most necro stuff, it had clunky setup requirements and potential to do nothing ALL FOR RESULT that is equal or weaker than its counterparts.

The only thing which some like to complain about is build variety. Its common for a certain utility group to allround cover everything the build needs, so you just trait it and run 3x cantrips, stances.

> @"Hesacon.8735" said:

> It occurs to me that the slow buffing to core necro trait lines is slowly making core necro look viable. There are arguments for taking three core lines, at least for power buuilds.

Have a look at this if you have time. Recent video from one of my favorite youtubers.

He runs a hybrid core necro build if I'm not wrong.

Very unique builds and incredible sustain.

> > @"Hesacon.8735" said:

> > It occurs to me that the slow buffing to core necro trait lines is slowly making core necro look viable. There are arguments for taking three core lines, at least for power buuilds.

>

> Have a look at this if you have time. Recent video from one of my favorite youtubers.

> He runs a hybrid core necro build if I'm not wrong.

> Very unique builds and incredible sustain.

>

>

Fighting bad players outnumbered does not turn you into a good player.

> @"Hesacon.8735" said:

> It occurs to me that the slow buffing to core necro trait lines is slowly making core necro look viable. There are arguments for taking three core lines, at least for power buuilds.

Core before this patch felt better. The loss of Spectral builds was saddening and I do not know why Spectral skills needed such a severe nerf.

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > It's interesting to note that Woodenpotatoes qualified this patch as an "insane amount of powercreep for the necromancer". Well that was patchnote critics on the spurt of the moment, maybe he might think differently now.

>

> It was funny to see how he thinks the changes to spectral walk are power creep.

I hope WoodenPotatoes amends his review. I did not see, at first read, how much of a nerf was hidden in the changes, either.