Traits that deal instant damage - direction this is going?

From patch note:

**In addition to crowd-control trait reworks, this update also addresses traits that deal instant damage and how they affect the game. The large majority of these traits have had their base damage increased while removing their ability to critically hit in order to improve pacing and reduce time-to-kill in competitive game modes. Certain traits that serve as the main source of a build's damage in both PvE and competitive modes have been modified so that they require critical hits in order to deal maximum damage, giving conditions like weakness more value.**

I'm confused about this change, not only because for the most part they were fine, but also the change was not spread evenly across all professions. For example on ele lightning rod or chrono lost time. Lost time actually got a big buff. Then something like shattered aegis was destroyed, it cant crit anymore plus its base damage was not increased and so its completely useless. I'm not asking for anymore nerfs I'm just wondering where this is going, and honestly I'm somewhat disappointed that these traits are being nerfed as they were not that strong to begin with.

> @"Warscythes.9307" said:

> This is mostly for PvP, damage creep has been an issue ever since HoT and instant trait damage proc is one of the main culprit since you can't react to it.

>

> Also for your example shattered aegis damage is increased by 20% in pve.

I appreciate that pvp damage is getting out of control, but these traits were definitely not the culprit. Only static discharge was used in a meta build if that's any indication. As for power block, I can sort of agree since it does so many things.

Shattered aegis +20% buff in pve is not going to do much of anything. For it to be viable in pvp, the coefficient would have to be buffed from 1.0 to at least 2.5. Would be better if it got its ability to crit back, even then with the base damage nerf I think the coefficient would have to be raised some.

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > @"Warscythes.9307" said:

> > This is mostly for PvP, damage creep has been an issue ever since HoT and instant trait damage proc is one of the main culprit since you can't react to it.

> >

> > Also for your example shattered aegis damage is increased by 20% in pve.

>

> I appreciate that pvp damage is getting out of control, but these traits were definitely not the culprit. Only static discharge was used in a meta build if that's any indication. As for power block, I can sort of agree since it does so many things.

>

> Shattered aegis +20% buff in pve is not going to do much of anything. For it to be viable in pvp, the coefficient would have to be buffed from 1.0 to at least 2.5. Would be better if it got its ability to crit back, even then with the base damage nerf I think the coefficient would have to be raised some.

Is standardization. It would not be good if one proc trait can crit and the other doesn't so they made everything consistent. Balance is not the main concern here as right now they need to shave everything.

> > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > @"Warscythes.9307" said:

> > > This is mostly for PvP, damage creep has been an issue ever since HoT and instant trait damage proc is one of the main culprit since you can't react to it.

> > >

> > > Also for your example shattered aegis damage is increased by 20% in pve.

> >

> > I appreciate that pvp damage is getting out of control, but these traits were definitely not the culprit. Only static discharge was used in a meta build if that's any indication. As for power block, I can sort of agree since it does so many things.

> >

> > Shattered aegis +20% buff in pve is not going to do much of anything. For it to be viable in pvp, the coefficient would have to be buffed from 1.0 to at least 2.5. Would be better if it got its ability to crit back, even then with the base damage nerf I think the coefficient would have to be raised some.

>

> Is standardization. It would not be good if one proc trait can crit and the other doesn't so they made everything consistent. Balance is not the main concern here as right now they need to shave everything.

>

>

I mean consistency wasn’t an issue for almost 2 years since hot when every class but guardian had a passive 25% movement speed. But giving it to guardian? ‘Na Fam consistency guards r slo.’ Now they recently got on on a line with the only 1200 range weapon?

> @"Gwaihir.1745" said:

> > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > @"Warscythes.9307" said:

> > > > This is mostly for PvP, damage creep has been an issue ever since HoT and instant trait damage proc is one of the main culprit since you can't react to it.

> > > >

> > > > Also for your example shattered aegis damage is increased by 20% in pve.

> > >

> > > I appreciate that pvp damage is getting out of control, but these traits were definitely not the culprit. Only static discharge was used in a meta build if that's any indication. As for power block, I can sort of agree since it does so many things.

> > >

> > > Shattered aegis +20% buff in pve is not going to do much of anything. For it to be viable in pvp, the coefficient would have to be buffed from 1.0 to at least 2.5. Would be better if it got its ability to crit back, even then with the base damage nerf I think the coefficient would have to be raised some.

> >

> > Is standardization. It would not be good if one proc trait can crit and the other doesn't so they made everything consistent. Balance is not the main concern here as right now they need to shave everything.

> >

> >

>

> I mean consistency wasn’t an issue for almost 2 years since hot when every class but guardian had a passive 25% movement speed. But giving it to guardian? ‘Na Fam consistency guards r slo.’ Now they recently got on on a line with the only 1200 range weapon?

>

Consistency as in procs should not do too much damage and function the same, you are comparing two completely different things here. Proc trait has been a major concern for pvp for a while now and people have been asking to remove or nerf them all. Well here you go.

I think people just forgot when they ask for to nerf ALL, it is actually all, not just the traits they think are problematic like static discharge but rather all.

> > > This is mostly for PvP, damage creep has been an issue ever since HoT and instant trait damage proc is one of the main culprit since you can't react to it.

> > >

> >

> > I appreciate that pvp damage is getting out of control, but these traits were definitely not the culprit. Only static discharge was used in a meta build if that's any indication. As for power block, I can sort of agree since it does so many things.

> >

> > Shattered aegis +20% buff in pve is not going to do much of anything. For it to be viable in pvp, the coefficient would have to be buffed from 1.0 to at least 2.5. Would be better if it got its ability to crit back, even then with the base damage nerf I think the coefficient would have to be raised some.

>

> Is standardization. It would not be good if one proc trait can crit and the other doesn't so they made everything consistent. Balance is not the main concern here as right now they need to shave everything.

>

>

Except they didn't make everything consistent. There are traits that were untouched or even buffed lol, with the majority still being able to crit.

Standardization is nice and all but when it nerfs something into uselessness? Not so much.

> > >

> >

> >

>

>

>

But here's the weird thing. They lowered the base damage on static discharge and increased the critical damage.

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > This is mostly for PvP, damage creep has been an issue ever since HoT and instant trait damage proc is one of the main culprit since you can't react to it.

> > > >

> > > > Also for your example shattered aegis damage is increased by 20% in pve.

> > >

> > > I appreciate that pvp damage is getting out of control, but these traits were definitely not the culprit. Only static discharge was used in a meta build if that's any indication. As for power block, I can sort of agree since it does so many things.

> > >

> > > Shattered aegis +20% buff in pve is not going to do much of anything. For it to be viable in pvp, the coefficient would have to be buffed from 1.0 to at least 2.5. Would be better if it got its ability to crit back, even then with the base damage nerf I think the coefficient would have to be raised some.

> >

> > Is standardization. It would not be good if one proc trait can crit and the other doesn't so they made everything consistent. Balance is not the main concern here as right now they need to shave everything.

> >

> >

>

> Except they didn't make everything consistent. There are traits that were untouched or even buffed lol, with the majority still being able to crit.

Then they need to get them all. The important thing is to tone down proc damage which people has been asking for quite a while now.

> @"miriforst.1290" said:

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

> But here's the weird thing. They lowered the base damage on static discharge and increased the critical damage.

Is still a nerf

> > @"miriforst.1290" said:

> > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > > @"Warscythes.9307" said:

> > > > > This is mostly for PvP, damage creep has been an issue ever since HoT and instant trait damage proc is one of the main culprit since you can't react to it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Also for your example shattered aegis damage is increased by 20% in pve.

> > > >

> > > > I appreciate that pvp damage is getting out of control, but these traits were definitely not the culprit. Only static discharge was used in a meta build if that's any indication. As for power block, I can sort of agree since it does so many things.

> > > >

> > > > Shattered aegis +20% buff in pve is not going to do much of anything. For it to be viable in pvp, the coefficient would have to be buffed from 1.0 to at least 2.5. Would be better if it got its ability to crit back, even then with the base damage nerf I think the coefficient would have to be raised some.

> > >

> > > Is standardization. It would not be good if one proc trait can crit and the other doesn't so they made everything consistent. Balance is not the main concern here as right now they need to shave everything.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > But here's the weird thing. They lowered the base damage on static discharge and increased the critical damage.

>

> Is still a nerf

I mean it was nerfed in another way than just removing crit, in regards to mechanical standardization.

> @"miriforst.1290" said:

> > > @"miriforst.1290" said:

> > > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > > > @"Warscythes.9307" said:

> > > > > > This is mostly for PvP, damage creep has been an issue ever since HoT and instant trait damage proc is one of the main culprit since you can't react to it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Also for your example shattered aegis damage is increased by 20% in pve.

> > > > >

> > > > > I appreciate that pvp damage is getting out of control, but these traits were definitely not the culprit. Only static discharge was used in a meta build if that's any indication. As for power block, I can sort of agree since it does so many things.

> > > > >

> > > > > Shattered aegis +20% buff in pve is not going to do much of anything. For it to be viable in pvp, the coefficient would have to be buffed from 1.0 to at least 2.5. Would be better if it got its ability to crit back, even then with the base damage nerf I think the coefficient would have to be raised some.

> > > >

> > > > Is standardization. It would not be good if one proc trait can crit and the other doesn't so they made everything consistent. Balance is not the main concern here as right now they need to shave everything.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > But here's the weird thing. They lowered the base damage on static discharge and increased the critical damage.

> >

> > Is still a nerf

>

> I mean it was nerfed in another way than just removing crit, in regards to mechanical standardization.

Then I don't know. I can only be sure that the overall goal is to nerf proc damage.

> @"reikken.4961" said:

> > I appreciate that pvp damage is getting out of control, but these traits were definitely not the culprit. Only static discharge was used in a meta build if that's any indication.

>

> glacial heart wasn't meta?

>

Well sure glacial heart too... still tho its a one trick pony build that wasn't used that often.