Questions about Wintersday

I don't pretend to speak for anyone for myself, but can't help but feel like others are in the same boat.

I was really looking forward to this year's Wintersday event for three reasons:

1. I was going to get the Gift of Magnanimity.

2. I was going to get the Wintersday mount set.

3. I was going to get the Winter's Presence shoulders.

So...

1. I am ok, but not good, at jumping puzzles. I can generally complete them...given enough time. However, this achievement requires the completion of a timed jumping puzzle. I will work on it, and hopefully get it, but really don't enjoy, or look forward to, the frustration of failing it multiple times during the process. This, btw, applies (x3) to my third point as well.

2. Why is the Wintersday mount set not being offered this year? I've got gems just waiting to use on it, but for some reason, it's not available.

3. Apparently, you all didn't learn a thing from the Sigil of Nullification debacle in Jahai Bluffs because you've created the same situation...but this time there's also a limited time factor, which only further escalates the prices. I don't know if your folks there just don't understand basic supply and demand economics, so let me give you a very basic class: When you create a demand for something, and then severely curtail the supply, then the people that can, will monopolize the market, causing the prices to skyrocket. When you add a limited time factor to that, the prices only rise even more. With a little over 800 gold I am not poor in game, but I will not pay anywhere near that for what essentially is a skin.

Of course, the alternative is that you know full well what you are doing. But that opens up a whole new can of worms...none of which makes you look good.

So all of this is really just to explain that you have an event going on right now that one player was really looking forward to, but now only sees as...meh. I may be able to achieve one of my goals, but this whole series has just left me with a sour taste for this event.

They typically space out gem store releases through a festival, and are even more likely to do that now because they're swapping around a lot of the regular items in the gem store too. The promotions tab had a lot of stuff on it when I looked last night so it would be easy to miss things if you're not looking carefully - which is not a good situation for Anet (or for players).

I'll be very surprised if they don't bring the Wintersday mounts back at all (especially with so many people asking for them) but it also doesn't surprise me they've left them for a later release.

(I just hope if they bring anything out later than next week they keep it up for a bit after Wintersday, otherwise I'm going to miss it and I doubt I'm the only one.)

> @"Keefe.3821" said:

> I hate these events but I do them because of Winters Presence. I haven't been able to complete the jump puzzle once. Imagine dying 100 times and not getting anything for it but more hatred for jumping puzzles.

Its hard for me to imagine this because they feel very easy to me. But I suspect is aa awful feeling as wanting to get The Ascenion wings while hating pvp and dying million of times and never getting any wins or top stats I need : P So it is kinda awful.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > You may already know this but if you're having trouble with the Wintersday jumping puzzle make sure you're using the Quaggan path. It is still timed but it's more forgiving than the other two.

>

> Up until you get to those damnable exploding presents, anyway.

For that part, while it is timed there is an easy path up the middle line of presents. You should be able to push forward and jump to get to the top there.

> @"Neutra.6857" said:

> > @"perilisk.1874" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > You may already know this but if you're having trouble with the Wintersday jumping puzzle make sure you're using the Quaggan path. It is still timed but it's more forgiving than the other two.

> >

> > Up until you get to those damnable exploding presents, anyway.

>

> For that part, while it is timed there is an easy path up the middle line of presents. You should be able to push forward and jump to get to the top there.

Yeah. I watched a video on it. I've now gotten 2 of the 3 necessary runs done. So it definitely is doable...just sucks.

> (1) I was going to get the Gift of Magnanimity.

I am terrible at JPs with a time limit. Performance anxiety or something. I go to quaggan path, and give myself _20 minutes_ and try to do better than I did the last time. Wherever I am after 20, I stop. There's later today and tomorrow.

Fortunately, once you finish once, it's easier to get the next four. (Confidence builds confidence.)

> (2) I was going to get the Wintersday mount set.

I expect it will return Tuesday. ANet has always updated the gem store multiple times during festivals.

> (3) I was going to get the Winter's Presence shoulders.

Winter's Presence is a premium skin, with premium features. If you don't want to spend as much, wait. The bit with sigils and runes can be done anytime throughout the year. There's no rush.

I bought mine mid-year, paying ~50% what they cost at peak in December 2017. I expect that won't change much this year.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Winter's Presence is a premium skin, with premium features. If you don't want to spend as much, wait. The bit with sigils and runes can be done anytime throughout the year. There's no rush.

> I bought mine mid-year, paying ~50% what they cost at peak in December 2017. I expect that won't change much this year.

That's exactly my plan. I'm now just collecting the various parts I need and can afford/gather. The rest will just have to wait.

> @"Graymalkyn.8076" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Dont forget, the runes and sigil are craftable now, which they havent been in previous years

> >

> > But im pretty much certain the mounts pack will return and almost certainly next week

>

> Is that less expensive? I haven't run the numbers.

No idea, although to me though that is irrelevant since the ability to craft over time at my leisure, pace and convenience overrides the cost worries (if any at all now they are craftable) in the entirety