Teamwork rewarded over skill?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If serious challenging solo content was implemented then Anet would also have to start balancing professions around that, or else everyone would be playing all of the strong ones such as reaper, spellbreaker and mirage. Though it would be nice if they made such good solo builds on every profession, I don't see this ever happening. They can't even balance the current game modes properly. With PvE still having issues with support roles so many years after HoT release, WvW having serious balance issues in both roaming and large scale, and with even with PvP where certain professions remain in the trash bin for over a year at times. Solo PvE balance is in an even worse state than all of the aforementioned game modes.

For the topic, that ESO Maelstorm Arena sounded quite interesting. Sort of extended Queen's Gauntlet. When first reading the OP, what came in to my mind is Alastair Reynolds' novel "Diamond Dogs". In that novel, there is a tower. You enter a room, solve the puzzle, a door opens and you can climb to next room with harder puzzle. In that novel, the characters taking the challenge go to extremes :) But in principle, why not having this kind of content? You could basically add new levels and new arenas time to time.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> The moral of the story? If you are (or, think you are) among the top players in terms of skill, don't expect PvE challenge to test you to your limits once you get past the learning curve; or, often, from the beginning. It's not going to happen. I get the desire for such, but the reality is that ANet has to make money, as much as the long-time-gamer in management might want to scratch that itch.

In principle, yes, but I think it is not that straight-forward. Would this be absolute truth, there would not be any hard games around. A game that caters only for casuals will die. Casuals come and go, they get bored quickly, and casual content is quickly done - your game will loose its entire player base very easily, if you take this path. While it is true that hard core players forms a minority in player base, once you can grab them, they are also devoted and loyal - you can keep your player base, and having players lures in more players. If you are developing a commercial game, I think that you need to be extra careful not to water down the content for casuals too much to loose hard core players, while still giving meaningful content for those who are not there for various reasons (time, interest etc).

> @"Ganathar.4956" said:

> If serious challenging solo content was implemented then Anet would also have to start balancing professions around that, or else everyone would be playing all of the strong ones such as reaper, spellbreaker and mirage. Though it would be nice if they made such good solo builds on every profession, I don't see this ever happening.

Definitely not necessarily. We can easily accept that some classes and builds are better for solo purposes. We accept this already in various ways, for example, when picking toon for WvW roaming, sPvP duelist role, or when going to solo open world champions and such. We also already accept that in groups certain classes perform better in certain roles than others. So: if ANet does challenging solo player content, that involves class skills (fighting), we can assume that players will take their best solo toons (for example, mirage) there. Just the same as if ANet ever does 1vs1 ranked sPvP queue.

> @"mauried.5608" said:

> One of the problems with all MMOs , is that there is no consequence for losing. ... Your character is instantly deleted, any gold and / or items your character is carrying is lost. You are free to create another Character at level 1 and try again when you get to LV 80. Wonder why no one will be interested in this type of challenging content?

This - what you loose when you loose - depends entirely on the game design. Most MMORPGs are meant such that you use long time making up your toon. In single fight, you only loose the time you tried to win, for example few hours. Risking for example two years developing effort is a high risk, so the game design should take this in account: you can't assume people to take this risk many times. In games where you loose everything when loosing, developing a character is usually quicker - you may loose just for example few hours effort.

Of course, if you like, you can decide yourself that you play "Dead is dead". Many players have used such self-imposed rules in several games - first one that comes in to my mind is Skyrim - when played long enough and looking for extra challenge (keeping them on their toes).

> @"TamX.1870" said:

> > @"Ganathar.4956" said:

> > If serious challenging solo content was implemented then Anet would also have to start balancing professions around that, or else everyone would be playing all of the strong ones such as reaper, spellbreaker and mirage. Though it would be nice if they made such good solo builds on every profession, I don't see this ever happening.

>

> Definitely not necessarily. We can easily accept that some classes and builds are better for solo purposes. We accept this already in various ways, for example, when picking toon for WvW roaming, sPvP duelist role, or when going to solo open world champions and such. We also already accept that in groups certain classes perform better in certain roles than others. So: if ANet does challenging solo player content, that involves class skills (fighting), we can assume that players will take their best solo toons (for example, mirage) there. Just the same as if ANet ever does 1vs1 ranked sPvP queue.

Nope, there are plenty of players that do not accept this and want balance to be better. This is why you see posts all over the place about people wanting alternatives to chronomancer and druid in raids. This is why people used to want DPS elementalist nerfed for raids. This is also why some players want a more balanced roaming scene that is actually alive, and large scale battles where necros and guardians are not half of the zerg. Anet is aware of this and that is where their balancing has been aiming at, because they care about balance. Even though they are not exactly amazing at it.

I do agree that certain professions will always be more suitable for certain roles, but balance to me means that the disparity is not enormous. Also there is a difference between choosing certain professions for certain roles in group content, and choosing a mirage for solo content. All professions are still generally good in raids but in different roles. In solo content a profession is either good or it's not, because there are no roles. So in solo content it is way more likely that certain professions wouldn't see play than in group content.

> @"mauried.5608" said:

> How about some challenging content with an outcome if you lose and a legendary weapon if you win.

> One of the problems with all MMOs , is that there is no consequence for losing.

> If your character dies, you just WP and your alive again.

> If your gear is damaged, off to a repair station and your as good as new again.

> Lets add some consequence for losing.

> If you die, then your dead.

> Your character is instantly deleted, any gold and / or items your character is carrying is lost.

> You are free to create another Character at level 1 and try again when you get to LV 80.

> Wonder why no one will be interested in this type of challenging content?

>

This proves to me that you never played a traditional RPG. If your dungeon master is a heartless kitten and always lets the dice fall where they may, a large majority of gamers would find out that their own greed, numbness or misunderstanding of how things work is their greatest enemy. Not only in the game, but probably also in RL. And who would pay for that privilege, or just invest time in it?^^

So, from the other thread, I remember the OP talking about "insane skills" and the likes, so how about this for a challenge?

* A solo player dungeon.

* Once you start, you're locked to the skills and gear you've selected.

* First part of the dungeon consists of, let's say, 10 successive legendary bosses, randomly chosen from existing ones, or new ones specifically created for the purpose.

* After clearing this part you come to the end boss. This boss has reasonable HP, let's say 1M, passive health regen of 5% of base health. In addition to a normal full set of devastating atacks, it will randomly (maybe roughly every 15 sec?) drop a non-telegraphed AoE which instantly downs you if you don't dodge in 20ms.

* Any death during the dungeon will instantly reset it to start, and re-randomize all bosses.

* If you win, you get to pick a soulbound legendary quality piece of equipment with a skin that is guaranteed never to come from any other source. Could even be more than one item.

This would guarantee that the rewards are prestigious and you can wear it proudly. Since it's soulbound everyone will know that it's this one character that was able to complete this phenomenal challenge.

> @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> Since the last threads accepted answer is that yes, teamwork is rewarded over skill. I'd like to propose that single player content which requires a high degree of skill be introduced to the game. This can be done via solo dungeons, rollerbeetle races, jumping puzzles like mad king tower. Anything that allows us to utilize high level gaming skill with no help or carry from others. As such there should also be a very exclusive rewards for solo achieving such feats, comparable to the skill and time put in to obtain said reward.

>

> This is a fine departure from every other game mode or activity in gw2 which usually allows a player to show up and posses an average amount or less then average amount of skill, but as long as a player can be carried by others or simply shows up, is handsomely rewarded nonetheless.

>

> This devalues items since they can all be obtained via showing up or being carried or by opening our wallets. This results in everyone standing around with the same legendaries and it dosent feel unique or exclusive obtaining them, because everyone else has them. Why not use a players skill to be the determining factor in whether a legendary is exclusive or difficult to obtain. This seems much more logical to me then the current methods of obtaining the legendaries we have.

>

> Tldr: Add in exclusive rewards which can only be obtained via an individual's skill.

This, I agree with you. However, can you imagine the outrage this would bring? I'm all up for solo-play CMs that give you good rewards, especially in story episodes.

> @"TamX.1870" said:

>

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > The moral of the story? If you are (or, think you are) among the top players in terms of skill, don't expect PvE challenge to test you to your limits once you get past the learning curve; or, often, from the beginning. It's not going to happen. I get the desire for such, but the reality is that ANet has to make money, as much as the long-time-gamer in management might want to scratch that itch.

>

> In principle, yes, but I think it is not that straight-forward. Would this be absolute truth, there would not be any hard games around. A game that caters only for casuals will die. Casuals come and go, they get bored quickly, and casual content is quickly done - your game will loose its entire player base very easily, if you take this path. While it is true that hard core players forms a minority in player base, once you can grab them, they are also devoted and loyal - you can keep your player base, and having players lures in more players. If you are developing a commercial game, I think that you need to be extra careful not to water down the content for casuals too much to loose hard core players, while still giving meaningful content for those who are not there for various reasons (time, interest etc).

Your definition of casual is too limited. There are a large number of players devoted to GW2 who are casual in their content choices and play preferences. Your drop-in, drop-out version of the term is only one aspect of casual play.

I agree with you about the need for challenge -- if you are talking about developing a new game. There are plenty of players who want a challenging game. However, if a 6+ year old game disappoints a large part of its veteran player base too often, retention can become a problem. Sure, GW2 can attract new players, but after 6 years, the game already has a rep that has put off a lot of people -- and people rarely change their opinions about a game once they've made up their minds. There is too much competition for market share. So, if ANet angers too many of the long-time casual players (and there are plenty of them), it would not be good for revenue.

> @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> Why does it feel like those opposed to an exclusive reward for said hard solo content, oppose it because they dont posses the skill to obtain it if it was implemented. In a game like fashion wars its 99% showing off, especially in an mmo. If everyone can get every item because its easy then where is the novelty?

You feel like that because it's what you want to feel to dismiss the objections to your idea. Not everyone can get every item in this game and there are other things in this game that demonstrate 'novelty' like titles and minis, etc...