So It Doesn't Look Like Platforming was the Issue with HoT

Vayne.8563

> @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > Okay, let's say you're right, Vayne: PoF has more platforming than HOT.

> > >

> > > So what?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > It's an observation. It might mean nothing to you which is fine. But it takes away some of the whole platforming arguments. A couple of posts above this Djinn said he's against all these introduced platforming mechanics in Guild Wars 2. Well there's quite a few platforming mechanics introduced in POF that have been very well accepted by the bulk of the community.

> >

> > I don't think platform mechanics are an issue in and of themselves and I do think that's worth noting. Sometimes we hold conversations because the topics interest us. It interests me that many of the people who were against platforming mechanics in HoT seem to have no real trouble with mounts. Not all, but some at least. Can't I make a post about something I find interesting?

> >

> >

>

> Sure, except the intensity of your posts suggests you've necroed this old argument to have the last word on it, rather than making a mere observation.

I'm defending my point of view when it's being attacked. In case you haven't noticed it does happen on this forum. There are people in this thread, not you, who I've had these conversations with for months. You're not part of that, so there's no intensity from your part. I did make the observation because I thought it was obvious enough where there wouldn't be much argument. And for the most part there's not. A few of the same old faces, and a couple of new ones. Those who agree said they'd agreed and stopped posting.

And others would rather take personal potshots at me than actually talk about the facts.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > Okay, let's say you're right, Vayne: PoF has more platforming than HOT.

> > > >

> > > > So what?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > It's an observation. It might mean nothing to you which is fine. But it takes away some of the whole platforming arguments. A couple of posts above this Djinn said he's against all these introduced platforming mechanics in Guild Wars 2. Well there's quite a few platforming mechanics introduced in POF that have been very well accepted by the bulk of the community.

> > >

> > > I don't think platform mechanics are an issue in and of themselves and I do think that's worth noting. Sometimes we hold conversations because the topics interest us. It interests me that many of the people who were against platforming mechanics in HoT seem to have no real trouble with mounts. Not all, but some at least. Can't I make a post about something I find interesting?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Sure, except the intensity of your posts suggests you've necroed this old argument to have the last word on it, rather than making a mere observation.

>

> I'm defending my point of view when it's being attacked. In case you haven't noticed it does happen on this forum. There are people in this thread, not you, who I've had these conversations with for months. You're not part of that, so there's no intensity from your part. I did make the observation because I thought it was obvious enough where there wouldn't be much argument. And for the most part there's not. A few of the same old faces, and a couple of new ones. Those who agree said they'd agreed and stopped posting.

>

> And others would rather take personal potshots at me than actually talk about the facts.

Fair enough. I haven't seen those conversations.

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> say negative stuff at a much greater frequency and degree than is warranted.

>

According to who?

Who gets to decide that someone expressing an opinion about a subject, for which a forum was created and is hosted in order for them to do so, is doing so with too much frequency? That it is unwarranted?

You?

> @"Omar Aschi Popp.7496" said:

> > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > > @"Omar Aschi Popp.7496" said:

> > > > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > > > > @FrizzFreston.5290 said:

> > > > > > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > > > > > > @FrizzFreston.5290 said:

> > > > > > > If you compare platforming in HoT and platforming in PoF it should be pretty obvious why PoF platforming is preferred.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > POF has platforming, HoT had very little. That's pretty much what I'm saying.

> > > > >

> > > > > What you classify as platforming isnt the same what everyone else does.

> > > > >

> > > > > So if you want to be right in your own view of the word platforming then thats going to be a very one sided and pointless discussion. (And has been so far) Stating that it wasnt an issue only stresses the fact you dont care to understand players who according to you use the word wrong.

> > > > >

> > > > > Its an exercise in pointlessness. Good job.

> > > >

> > > > It may be pointless to you, but clarifying language is not pointless to me, because without clarifying terms, there is no communications and we might as well close down every forum in existence. I'm not the one making up definitions here. I've played literally dozens of platforming games, if not hundreds, and every single one of them required platforming skill. Merely having platforms doesn't make a game a platformer.

> > >

> > > SAYS THE GUY GOING SO HARD OUT OF HIS WAY TO AVOID ANSWERING PERFECTLY VALID POINTS BY SEVEN DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

> > >

> > > Lol yeah ok "communication"

> >

> > You seem to think that seven different people represent a significant subsection of the forums However a percentage of those 7 people have a history with me, and I'm not convinced that some of them wouldn't argue if I said the sky was blue, so I'm not sure the number of people is as high as you think If we polled the public and asked if HOT like Mario Brothers, pretty sure the percentage of people who said yes would be very very small.

> >

> > I used to work as a profession editor and there were times when a dozen people all had the same view that turned out to be wrong as soon as it was looked up in the Chicago Style Manual, which we used as a baseline. You can have a room full of people with one guy right and seven guys wrong, except there are also people in this thread who agree with me. The problem is, people dislike HoT so much they're willing to use hyperbole to say negative stuff at a much greater frequency and degree than is warranted. They make HoT sound like the evil empire.

> >

> > There are jumping mushrooms in Mario and there are jumping mushrooms in HoT. However, in Mario, you have to controll your jumps and in HoT you don't. Seems different to me. Nothing else about Mario and HoT is the same either, including jumping on your foes to incapacitate them. As I've already stated jumping to pick up coins in PoF is directly like mario, including 3 vertical coins you have to do a high jump to get all of. That's practicallly staight from Mario.

> >

> > But yeah seven guys isn't some kind of vast majority. What you have is a handful of guys who love to argue with me and I'm okay with that. It doesn't, however, make their arguments any stronger.

> >

>

> It's not about how many people are saying some thing. It's about how you pretend nobody said anything when you given a valid point.

>

> Doesn't matter if it's 7, 17, 7000 or just ONE person. You were given a valid point/rebuke and you just pretend it didn't happen while you keep repeating your lines.

>

> And you are not someone who strikes me as a careless reader.

Not every point given is valid, just because someone gives it. I've given examples of this. If someone says that the sky is grey because they're colorblind it doesn't make the sky gray. They simply see it as gray. It won't be in any textbook whether it's true for them or not. I used the example of someone calling Guild Wars 2 a shooter, because they're particularly bad at shooters. Guild Wars 2 isn't a shooter, even if they think it is. They emphasize it because it's their area of trouble. It doesn't make it a factual statement.

Seems to me you should read my posts carefully before telling me to read your posts.

> @Ashen.2907 said:

> > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > say negative stuff at a much greater frequency and degree than is warranted.

> >

>

> According to who?

>

> Who gets to decide that someone expressing an opinion about a subject, for which a forum was created and is hosted in order for them to do so, is doing so with too much frequency? That it is unwarranted?

>

> You?

>

According to me, and probably a decent percentage of the playerbase I'd think If people tried posting some of the stuff they say here on reddit, it would be gone in no time flat. This forum allows people to express anything they want, fair or unfair. Correct or incorrect. Doesn't matter. Try it on a user moderatored site and you'll see how "valid" it is. Sure it's valid to them. Doesn't make it a widely held believe.

However, if five people post very very negative stuff again and again and again, it looks like a lot more people are saying it.

Edit: Your own posts have always been fair, negative, or positive. Same with most posters.