Please add limitions or selfprotection for "Ekto gambling"

Madjoh.6054

> @"Madjoh.6054" said:

> Dear folks,

> I need to talk about gambling in this game. My friend is addicted to gambling and lost regulary all her gold and items. To prevent being bankrupt she buys from her real money gold. How can a game with a rating for children (12+) enter this kind of gambling, which nearly no rewards in the end. The producers must rethink the strategy to gain money from the ppl, otherwise some region (Florida,Begium) disband Guild Wars 2 in total and EU in total can follow soon. I get really upset, that ppl, like my friend, dont get protected this kind of gambling. Remove the possibility to ekto gambling at all!

>

> Greetings

> Madjoh

>

> PS:

> I hate lootboxes with random items , but this shouldnt be the topic in this thread. So pls, dont combine these topics. Thx

>

> // Edit Title // I dont change my original Post. You can follow my thoughts later on.

This more about self controll but i agree anything wich relates chance for reward is a danger for ppls mental health. Solution anet remove gems for gold and gem store in favor of a less abusive system wich can turn gambling like sub fee if you cant use real money to get gold you cant ecto gamble can you.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Madjoh.6054" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"Madjoh.6054" said:

> > > _What about personal accountability_

> > I'm wondering how many players will be lost if Ecto gambling is removed. Or, how about the slippery slope that removing such content leads to? I mean, there's always something in-game that 1 or a few players object to.

> > I'm also wondering about all the other gambling games/apps/etc. available on the internet/through games/etc. Does the friend abstain from them? If so, there must be some kind of self-control in play; perhaps said self-control could be applied to Guild Wars 2, as well. And, if the friend gambles elsewhere online, it won't make any difference if it is removed from Guild Wars 2; the friend should seek some professional help.

>

> Thanks for the advice, but she is old enough and she knows about her addiction.

>

> To the rest, prove me wrong or answer my question: What do you gain from ekto gambling at all as an user?

You gain the same thing that you get from logging into GW2: entertainment.

Since it's not a tangible good, it (gambling) and logging into GW2 are exposed to subjective moral judgement on if it is a positive or negative that should or shouldn't be banned.

Economy working as intended.

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

>Solution anet remove gems for gold and gem store in favor of a less abusive system wich can turn gambling like sub fee if you cant use real money to get gold you cant ecto gamble can you.

Absolutely not. Gem/Gold exchanges is one of the things that prevents GW2 from being too p2w. Myself along with many others, like being able to buy cash shop items with in game gold and then transfer gems back in case we need it. Locking up the gem store because a small minority of people have mental health problems is ludicrous.

Being a Baizuo is bad. Do not be a Baizuo.

> @"Master Ketsu.4569" said:

> Economy working as intended.

> Absolutely not. Gem/Gold exchanges is one of the things that prevents GW2 from being too p2w. Myself along with many others, like being able to buy cash shop items with in game gold and then transfer gems back in case we need it. Locking up the gem store because a small minority of people have mental health problems is ludicrous.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

>

> You gain the same thing that you get from logging into GW2: entertainment.

>

> Since it's not a tangible good, it (gambling) and logging into GW2 are exposed to subjective moral judgement on if it is a positive or negative that should or shouldn't be banned.

Very interesting..... Some of you is acting, that I try to steal shiny from them. Actually I try to rethink myself and maybe yourself und push a discusion forward, which helps the "minority" of the players (and my friend).

> @"Madjoh.6054" said:

> > @"Master Ketsu.4569" said:

> > Economy working as intended.

> > Absolutely not. Gem/Gold exchanges is one of the things that prevents GW2 from being too p2w. Myself along with many others, like being able to buy cash shop items with in game gold and then transfer gems back in case we need it. Locking up the gem store because a small minority of people have mental health problems is ludicrous.

>

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> >

> > You gain the same thing that you get from logging into GW2: entertainment.

> >

> > Since it's not a tangible good, it (gambling) and logging into GW2 are exposed to subjective moral judgement on if it is a positive or negative that should or shouldn't be banned.

>

> Very interesting..... Some of you is acting, that I try to steal shiny from them. Actually I try to rethink myself and maybe yourself und push a discusion forward, which helps the "minority" of the players (and my friend).

Understandable.

I'm trying to present a center view as I tend to with a lot of subjects.

That is to say, I'd be lying if I said I hold empathy for your friend. In reality, I don't know that person and is no closer or further to me than anyone else posting here. If this were my friend, I'd appeal to their situation. If my bud complained about not having money for drinks or their wallet being tight because of their kids' needs or they were exhibiting crises in the home due to finances, I'd instruct them to not waste money on games and put in more hours at work. I'd tell them this because I have empathy for my friend and want to genuinely help them fix their problem (wasting money). If my bud wasn't having any money issues and still gambled, then there is no problem.

> @"Master Ketsu.4569" said:

> Economy working as intended.

>

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> >Solution anet remove gems for gold and gem store in favor of a less abusive system wich can turn gambling like sub fee if you cant use real money to get gold you cant ecto gamble can you.

>

> Absolutely not. Gem/Gold exchanges is one of the things that prevents GW2 from being too p2w. Myself along with many others, like being able to buy cash shop items with in game gold and then transfer gems back in case we need it. Locking up the gem store because a small minority of people have mental health problems is ludicrous.

>

> Being a Baizuo is bad. Do not be a Baizuo.

>

Gambling addiction and/or mental health is no small issue that is simply being dumb ignorant. If the issue was so insignificant why then are governments beginning to take a serious look at the gaming industry with these issues in mind.

Ignorance is bliss though I guess

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> >

> > > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > >Solution anet remove gems for gold and gem store in favor of a less abusive system wich can turn gambling like sub fee if you cant use real money to get gold you cant ecto gamble can you.

> >

> > Absolutely not. Gem/Gold exchanges is one of the things that prevents GW2 from being too p2w. Myself along with many others, like being able to buy cash shop items with in game gold and then transfer gems back in case we need it. Locking up the gem store because a small minority of people have mental health problems is ludicrous.

> >

> > Being a Baizuo is bad. Do not be a Baizuo.

> >

>

> Gambling addiction and/or mental health is no small issue that is simply being dumb ignorant. If the issue was so insignificant why then are governments beginning to take a serious look at the gaming industry with these issues in mind.

> Ignorance is bliss though I guess

While I agree on all accounts that gambling can be very destructive, let's not mix every issue of loot boxes together please.

There are regulations in place in many countries which monitor and regulate gambling. There are help programs and therapy for gambling addiction. The reason why governments are slowly reacting is because loot boxes and similar content get marketed to children. While some sort of gambling regulation might be introduced to protect adults and more grown up individuals, the main reason why they are becoming active is due to the affects on developing minds.

Please don't lump all of this together. At some point, one has to take responsibility for ones actions and not everything can or should be government regulated.

If you want your friend to stop using real cash for "gambling"in game, you are better off writing to support (maybe they can block the creditcard or whatever means of pay from your friend for gem purchases by real life cash, altho this would need your friends help due to private data and being it her account). (Or maybe you can achieve same fromout the bank she's at as they can block transactions too I guess). The only way left to "gamble" would then be to play the game to get game gold which means not affecting real life finances. If your friend wants a future expansion or similar (which needs a purchase), you can gift this to your friend. If you want to stop your friend from any form of gambling (even without rl cash involved), quit any pc game thats mobile/mmo/has an itemshop.

Another option would be to have her solely play on a f2p account, but yes that means no expansion content and all other restrictions in place.

Everyone on this forum discussion will just give their personal opinions, and they are entitled to, but you want Anet to read all this (and act) so support would be the way to go as this is an individual case.

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> >

> > > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > >Solution anet remove gems for gold and gem store in favor of a less abusive system wich can turn gambling like sub fee if you cant use real money to get gold you cant ecto gamble can you.

> >

> >

> > Being a Baizuo is bad. Do not be a Baizuo.

> >

>

> Gambling addiction and/or mental health is no small issue that is simply being dumb ignorant. If the issue was so insignificant why then are governments beginning to take a serious look at the gaming industry with these issues in mind.

> Ignorance is bliss though I guess

Meh, there are government movements to inhibit your privacy online and arrest/fine you for "hate speech" as well.

Ignorance is bliss though I guess.

> @"Vrath.1754" said:

> This is ridiculous. What about personal accountability, let's start there for a change.

>

> Using Americas population, its something like 2.6% of people who are gambling addicts. Should ANet be basing their decisions around such a minority? People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

>

> How about you help your friend, take your misplaced outrage and qq and place it where it belongs.

well, that is more than there are homosexuals or transsexuals, and politics pretty much revolve around those topics.

One concern is valid: some nations might take offense in this. Also: children can easily spend real money on this game: paysafe cards.

> @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> One concern is valid: some nations might take offense in this. Also: children can easily spend real money on this game: paysafe cards.

Irrelevant.

Kids who are not of age to consent < 14 years of age for this game are required by the UA to be supervised by a legal guardian. That means someone who is over 18. If they are not doing their job as a guardian or parent then it's not the companies fault for the parents neglience.

what if that kid is 16? 17? not irrelevant at all.

Maybe you should get off your US centric view. Most players are no US based - and some nations have a pretty strict view on gambling.

Like it or not - but ANET might run into trouble, if anyone really looks into this. I am not against ecto gambling, thanks to those gamblers, ecto prizes stay on a reasonable level and I make in game money selling them. But there needs to be some form of safety net BEFORE politicians get involved, because no matter what ANET comes up with, THEIR solution will be a lot worse.

> @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> what if that kid is 16? 17? not irrelevant at all.

>

> Maybe you should get off your US centric view. Most players are no US based - and some nations have a pretty strict view on gambling.

>

> Like it or not - but ANET might run into trouble, if anyone really looks into this. I am not against ecto gambling, thanks to those gamblers, ecto prizes stay on a reasonable level and I make in game money selling them. But there needs to be some form of safety net BEFORE politicians get involved, because no matter what ANET comes up with, THEIR solution will be a lot worse.

Most nations around the world consider a "kid" able to be treated like an adult at 15. Maybe you should stop assuming that this is just a US thing.

You bought the game, and agreed to the User Agreement. It's not ANets job to be your personal babysitter or ethical guardian.