Holo; What build for zerging ?

Zhaid Zhem.6508

Holo really isn't great for zerging. You don't want to camp rifle or pistol due to reflects (firebrand courage tome 3, and other sources such as tempest magnetic aura , herald hammer 4, non firebrand guardian's wall of reflection when people use it) and projectile hate. Sword+ shield is a good bet if your positioning is on point, but you will want at least 2600+ armor due to the amount of damage output that is currently put out (typical weaver eles, heralds, or scourges will be in excess of 2700 power due to food and keep/tower buffs).

For WvW you could probably get away with overshield, mecha legs, bunker down for sustain. Stunbreak can be elixir gun , elixir U, or spectrum shield.

I would use healing turret for the water field as well.

I have a feeling the explosives line is also a good pick due to the vitality boost from Big Boomer & the Blasting Zone trait should be more consistent than glass cannon.

If you aren't carrying elixir gun I think mortar kit is a good choice as the elite despite losing F5 to photon forge, because of the fields and range.

If you're building glassy I'd just go rifle and don't autoattack people with any reflects up, switching to photon forge when in a deeper push to make yourself useful.

In a guild setup, when healscrappers are not needed, I like to run anticondition builds:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAsensTBtbhlIDGJDcJjFDDr/G+DHihBgxRfRMd8B+PA-j1BEQBu8EAss9HajeAHq8bjKBBwDAIRq/QKgiUGB-w

You have a really high condition conversion rate of something like 9 condition cleanses per second on average. And since all those are converted to boons, you are something like 2 boonshare mesmers (only regarding the boon output, of course).

Damage is medium. In fights with lots of choke and meele combat, you can be in the top-group, though.

It's even a pretty stable build despite the low defense values. But don't expect to do damage at range. If you chase or are off position, you'll die.

Enjoy being invincible. Swap stability in holo for superpeed if you have a firebrand in party.

There is a food that grants 70 toughness and removes 1 condition on dodge. Use that.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdEQJAsenUUBlIjlXBubBMshFDDT8c8B+PhBg/Sfp/G2DDiA-j1TXQBvSFEbpiAPUhQJqBELVBG1+Dk4BAcSVCCmShfpECAKZcmSwSqHgRnAAGoMIAQCwNzmBgdWn1Zd2mtZa0GtRb0GtRb0GtRbUjCCtA-w

It's possible to make a 100% variation too but I've found that you lose too many things to do so. (Sigil choices, food choices, stats)

Like I said in another thread, DPS oriented holo/engi is too balanced to run. If you want to play berserker then play a warrior or soulbeast instead.

Well, I like to play classes at things they are good or better than others.

And with Holo in a zerg you get the maximum of group condition cleanse, boon output and do medium damage.

You can also run Explosives/Inventions/Holo or Explosives/Alchemy/Holo with sword/shield, Healturret, EG, some exhausts, maybe Elixir S and Laser. Depending on squad and enemies I even ran Explosives/Firearms/Holo once. Those will generally bring you in the top-dps area, but only in melee fights. If you like a build, then it's pretty easy for engis to modify it to shift from offense to defense. Gear is shifted from bersi over maro to soldier depending on your playstyle and build. personal damage is propably scholarship nice, I like to run pack-runes, though (some group buffs if revs have trouble). Durability is also often adviced for a more defensive approach.

The other direction you can go are things like sniper-holos with alchemy or inventions, tools, Holo and Static discharge, kinetic battery, rifle, maybe one of rocket boots/toolkit/mine and rifle-turret + photon wall. It's easy to burst enemies at 1200 range, but for engi ranged dps always means projectiles. So it's not really a zerg build, but more like roaming/focus party.

Condi builds might also work, but is also either close combat or projectiles und too easy to cleanse for enemy zergs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using condi holo, nobody expects it anymore, it's especially good to defend keeps, but it also does a serviceable job using Prime Laser, If you can get just One shot, you can almost guarantededly down 15 players in one go if someone gives you stab, or if you catch the opposing zerg off guard