I don't like the way shields look

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Riku.4821" said:

> Okay I went into this already negative based on TC's two first posts.

>

> But I will say, they have a point.

> SOME of the shields are very flat and very thin.

>

> Shields in real life ARE thin, you don't want a giant metal slab weighing you down and ruining your balance.

> I'll post some examples I think the TC means.

>

> **KODAN SHIELD**

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/kggv11J.png "")

>

> **Glyphic Ward** This one not so much.

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/33VEWM3.png "")

>

> **Verdant Shield**

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/eD3BWeT.png "")

>

> So when you look at those, among the others there. They do look like a flat model with no depth.

> In that sense, I don't think the TC meant flat in terms of thickness, like having a giant brick on your arm, just shields which aren't paper thin.

...and yet these three you posted are likely very close to how the shields were in the real life.

> @"Crab Fear.1624" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > uhmm, what else do you think a shield is beside a wooden plank?

>

> vibranium and adamantium compound

>

>

> *spank

most shields in history have a wooden base, anything on it is ether extra support or decor.

the ones not made of wood were extremely heavy, some so heavy that in battle they are mostly on the ground.

ps. this isn't marvel....

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Crab Fear.1624" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > uhmm, what else do you think a shield is beside a wooden plank?

> >

> > vibranium and adamantium compound

> >

> >

> > *spank

>

> most shields in history have a wooden base, anything on it is ether extra support or decor.

> the ones not made of wood were extremely heavy, some so heavy that in battle they are mostly on the ground.

>

> ps. this isn't marvel....

Good point, this isn't Marvel. They'd be made of mithril instead.

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > uhmm, what else do you think a shield is beside a wooden plank?

>

> Not all shields are made from wood. Some are made from metal.

> It's a foriegn concept though.

>

> Also the biggest problem imo is the lack of diversity in the shields front face and the almost lack of differentiations between types of shields.

>

> It would be nice to see them add more kite and tower shields that with game specific emblems to them.

heck, just look at real life, there are shields made from leather

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nguni_shield

and there are ones made from vines, which is said to be more durable than wooden shields

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattan_shield

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"Tzarakiel.7490" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > Oh where does the violin shield come from??

> > The shield looks more like some sort of cello or double bass than a violin. The angle of the screenshot might make it look bigger than it is though.

>

> Agree - cello is what it seems to me. Not big enough for a bass but too big for a violin or viola.

>

> For the record, I **love** cello music!

i would agree on it being a cello....

and off-topic.... Gaile, have you listened to The Piano Guys? they do a great rendition of "The Cello Song" (as they call their version), basically one guy playing all the parts, and then editing them all on top of each other. the video is on YouTube. real easy to find.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Riku.4821" said:

> > ~snip

> ...and yet these three you posted are likely very close to how the shields were in the real life.

>

Let me clarify, the first one is very flat (yes shields are flat in real life, but not always) but I mean based on texture it looks like it shouldn't be flat.

second one, like I said, not so much, but could be what the TC meant.

Third one, depending at how you angle the screen, is almost pixel thin.

Not all shields are very thin, not all are very thick either.

> @"Riku.4821" said:

> Okay I went into this already negative based on TC's two first posts.

>

> But I will say, they have a point.

> SOME of the shields are very flat and very thin.

>

> Shields in real life ARE thin, you don't want a giant metal slab weighing you down and ruining your balance.

That's true, of course. Most weapons in GW2 are unrealistic that way, way oversized and unbalanced. That's why many criticize how ridiculous the posture of certain races carrying a greatsword looks, for instance, or the sizes of most greatsword skins in general (I find them laughable, mostly).

I enjoy the few realistic skins, and I wish GW2 was more consistent in its designs - there are way too many designs that don't fit into the setting at all (and break the immersion for me).

Still, the OP's claim was proven wrong, namely that all of GW2's shields looked like "thin wooden planks." And that's the point of the arguments posted.

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> > I find GW2 skins are pretty diverse and creative. There is always something you like besides something you don't but the others prefer. Here are the skins I got for each of my characters.

> > ![](https://i.imgur.com/LT74Ec0.jpg "")

> Where does this one come from? It would go great with my Pirate Asura, I think

>

That's the Pirate Barricade, from the end of Weyandt's Revenge JP in Lion's Arch. The vendor has a whole set of Pirate-themed skins for ~10k Karma each; well worth a look!

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> > > I find GW2 skins are pretty diverse and creative. There is always something you like besides something you don't but the others prefer. Here are the skins I got for each of my characters.

> > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/LT74Ec0.jpg "")

> > Where does this one come from? It would go great with my Pirate Asura, I think

> >

>

> That's the Pirate Barricade, from the end of Weyandt's Revenge JP in Lion's Arch. The vendor has a whole set of Pirate-themed skins for ~10k Karma each; well worth a look!

Does it drip? I was pretty sure the ghost pirate set dripped, which is something I don't want. It doesn't look like it does, in the pic, and I probably just haven't checked the set in ages but I didn't realize that was one.

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > > @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> > > > I find GW2 skins are pretty diverse and creative. There is always something you like besides something you don't but the others prefer. Here are the skins I got for each of my characters.

> > > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/LT74Ec0.jpg "")

> > > Where does this one come from? It would go great with my Pirate Asura, I think

> > >

> >

> > That's the Pirate Barricade, from the end of Weyandt's Revenge JP in Lion's Arch. The vendor has a whole set of Pirate-themed skins for ~10k Karma each; well worth a look!

>

> Does it drip? I was pretty sure the ghost pirate set dripped, which is something I don't want. It doesn't look like it does, in the pic, and I probably just haven't checked the set in ages but I didn't realize that was one.

No, it doesn't drip! :)

the shields are too thin? Thankfully Lindybeige addressed shield thickness in a video

Technically what he uses in the vid is a buckler but the argument holds true.

as far as that fiddle shield, its a Violin if your asura, if your Human or Silvari is a cello if your a Norn or a Charr it's a bass

> @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > > > @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> > > > > I find GW2 skins are pretty diverse and creative. There is always something you like besides something you don't but the others prefer. Here are the skins I got for each of my characters.

> > > > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/LT74Ec0.jpg "")

> > > > Where does this one come from? It would go great with my Pirate Asura, I think

> > > >

> > >

> > > That's the Pirate Barricade, from the end of Weyandt's Revenge JP in Lion's Arch. The vendor has a whole set of Pirate-themed skins for ~10k Karma each; well worth a look!

> >

> > Does it drip? I was pretty sure the ghost pirate set dripped, which is something I don't want. It doesn't look like it does, in the pic, and I probably just haven't checked the set in ages but I didn't realize that was one.

>

> No, it doesn't drip! :)

It does not drip bcs everything is set on low graphic maybe?

> @"GrimReaper.3865" said:

> > > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > > > > @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> > > > > > I find GW2 skins are pretty diverse and creative. There is always something you like besides something you don't but the others prefer. Here are the skins I got for each of my characters.

> > > > > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/LT74Ec0.jpg "")

> > > > > Where does this one come from? It would go great with my Pirate Asura, I think

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > That's the Pirate Barricade, from the end of Weyandt's Revenge JP in Lion's Arch. The vendor has a whole set of Pirate-themed skins for ~10k Karma each; well worth a look!

> > >

> > > Does it drip? I was pretty sure the ghost pirate set dripped, which is something I don't want. It doesn't look like it does, in the pic, and I probably just haven't checked the set in ages but I didn't realize that was one.

> >

> > No, it doesn't drip! :)

>

> It does not drip bcs everything is set on low graphic maybe?

> @"GrimReaper.3865" said:

> > > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > > > > @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> > > > > > I find GW2 skins are pretty diverse and creative. There is always something you like besides something you don't but the others prefer. Here are the skins I got for each of my characters.

> > > > > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/LT74Ec0.jpg "")

> > > > > Where does this one come from? It would go great with my Pirate Asura, I think

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > That's the Pirate Barricade, from the end of Weyandt's Revenge JP in Lion's Arch. The vendor has a whole set of Pirate-themed skins for ~10k Karma each; well worth a look!

> > >

> > > Does it drip? I was pretty sure the ghost pirate set dripped, which is something I don't want. It doesn't look like it does, in the pic, and I probably just haven't checked the set in ages but I didn't realize that was one.

> >

> > No, it doesn't drip! :)

>

> It does not drip bcs everything is set on low graphic maybe?

The above picture was taken in High Shader, High Texture and High Animation, with Best Texture Filter.

> @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> > @"GrimReaper.3865" said:

> > > > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > > > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > > > > > @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> > > > > > > I find GW2 skins are pretty diverse and creative. There is always something you like besides something you don't but the others prefer. Here are the skins I got for each of my characters.

> > > > > > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/LT74Ec0.jpg "")

> > > > > > Where does this one come from? It would go great with my Pirate Asura, I think

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > That's the Pirate Barricade, from the end of Weyandt's Revenge JP in Lion's Arch. The vendor has a whole set of Pirate-themed skins for ~10k Karma each; well worth a look!

> > > >

> > > > Does it drip? I was pretty sure the ghost pirate set dripped, which is something I don't want. It doesn't look like it does, in the pic, and I probably just haven't checked the set in ages but I didn't realize that was one.

> > >

> > > No, it doesn't drip! :)

> >

> > It does not drip bcs everything is set on low graphic maybe?

>

> > @"GrimReaper.3865" said:

> > > > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > > > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > > > > > @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> > > > > > > I find GW2 skins are pretty diverse and creative. There is always something you like besides something you don't but the others prefer. Here are the skins I got for each of my characters.

> > > > > > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/LT74Ec0.jpg "")

> > > > > > Where does this one come from? It would go great with my Pirate Asura, I think

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > That's the Pirate Barricade, from the end of Weyandt's Revenge JP in Lion's Arch. The vendor has a whole set of Pirate-themed skins for ~10k Karma each; well worth a look!

> > > >

> > > > Does it drip? I was pretty sure the ghost pirate set dripped, which is something I don't want. It doesn't look like it does, in the pic, and I probably just haven't checked the set in ages but I didn't realize that was one.

> > >

> > > No, it doesn't drip! :)

> >

> > It does not drip bcs everything is set on low graphic maybe?

>

> The above picture was taken in High Shader, High Texture and High Animation, with Best Texture Filter.

Ohh sorry the one with the drip it orrian weapons

Some of them are a little thin, and not as aestheticly pleasing as they could be, I suppose. Though, I quite like the variety of shields in this game.

Bringing up realism is rather pointless in a game that is build around having the same defensive values on all types of armor, from skimpy cloth bikini tops to spacemarine-like heavy armor. As a smart man once said when people complained about realism "You are right my dear, but this is the movies we are talking about". And this is a fantasy MMORPG in the end.

Also, pulling the "fanboy card" as soon as someone disagrees with you pretty much devalues anything you have to say about the topic in question.

> @"Iris Ng.9845" said:

> I find GW2 skins are pretty diverse and creative. There is always something you like besides something you don't but the others prefer. Here are the skins I got for each of my characters.

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/CRrWX6Z.jpg "")

>

> Don't like the look of the starting armor/weapon skins? Well, they serve their exact purpose of a "starting gear". The end game is fashion after all.

What map is the first screenshot posted on?

> @"reapex.8546" said:

> > I find GW2 skins are pretty diverse and creative. There is always something you like besides something you don't but the others prefer. Here are the skins I got for each of my characters.

> > ![](https://i.imgur.com/CRrWX6Z.jpg "")

> >

> > Don't like the look of the starting armor/weapon skins? Well, they serve their exact purpose of a "starting gear". The end game is fashion after all.

>

> What map is the first screenshot posted on?

It's Edge of the Mist.